Tips going Up

tugboat

Instead of spending time on the phone trying to "sort it out" why not just pay the increased auto-grat and then subtract the difference from the amount you'd normally add on top in cash? I couldn't imagine calling and dealing with the cruise line to nickel and dime over the gratuity.

Because it's probably keeping some of them awake at night and it's ruined their holiday.

The gratuity has increased, what are everyone's expectations for service providers? Will more passengers remove gratuities for any perceived slight? How many will stop adding cash to the auto gratuities?

I'm not changing my tipping habits, but... it may be only one dollar. On top of all the other dollars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

The gratuity has increased, what are everyone's expectations for service providers? Will more passengers remove gratuities for any perceived slight? How many will stop adding cash to the auto gratuities?

I'm not changing my tipping habits, but... it may be only one dollar. On top of all the other dollars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Exactly. I'll still add additional dollars as I see fit, but if I was a bean counter and was going to lose sleep over the final dollar amount, I'd just subtract the increase from my additional cash tip. Same out of pocket amount. Cheapness concern solved.

I got the email about the increase today and followed the instructions to log onto royalcarribean.com to prepay. But can’t for the life of me find the spot to do it.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I booked through a ta if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After January 2, I would not count on the fact that someone at a call center will remember that you were told that you could add pre-paid gratuities at the "old rate" up until your final payment date.

If you have a future sailing booked, I would add the pre-paid gratuities to the reservation now. You don't pay them now, but at least your booking will show that you have them at the current rate, instead of the new higher rate.

This is the email I received this afternoon but I don't have a cruise booked with Celebrity as the only cruise bookings we currently have are on Anthem of the Seas and Grandeur of the Seas. We haven't done a Celebrity cruise in almost 3 years. I haven't got anything from RCI even though our next cruise with them is in less than two weeks.

Dear Robert,

As you get ready for your upcoming cruise, we wanted to let you know that we've updated our daily gratuities rates. The new rates will be applied to all new bookings made January 2, 2018 or later. Because you booked your sailing prior to January 2, 2018, you can still pay the original gratuity rates by prepaying them before you sail. If you pay your gratuities on board, you'll pay the new rates.

New Gratuity Rates:

Standard staterooms changed from $13.50 to $14.50 per day, per guest. Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms changed from $14.00 to $15.00 per day, per guest. Suite Class accommodations changed from $17.00 to $18.00 per day, per guest.

Gratuities are shared by our exceptional onboard dining and culinary services team, stateroom attendants, other housekeeping services personnel, as well as staff from other departments who work behind the scenes to enhance your cruise experience.

If you've already prepaid your gratuities or prepay them before you set sail, you will not be charged any additional automatic daily gratuities once on board.

Other onboard gratuity policies remain the same: an 18% gratuity is automatically added to bar service beverages, specialty dining reservations, and mini bar items—and will be itemized on your receipt.

Call 1-800-647-2251, log onto Celebrity.com, or contact your travel agent prior to sailing to prepay your daily gratuities at the current rates.

I got the email about the increase today and followed the instructions to log onto royalcarribean.com to prepay. But can’t for the life of me find the spot to do it.

Thanks

You must contact the travel agent to add gratuities.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You must contact the travel agent to add gratuities.

Actually, no. I booked with a TA but called the call center and prepaid. Just a guess, but it looks like inability to do it through the cruise planner is a bug and in general things you are supposed to be able to do on the planner don't need to go through a TA.

Roy

Actually, no. I booked with a TA but called the call center and prepaid. Just a guess, but it looks like inability to do it through the cruise planner is a bug and in general things you are supposed to be able to do on the planner don't need to go through a TA.

Roy

That is good to know Roy! :D

Roy

I called and was told they were unable and I had to go through the ta. Ta confirmed that and called royal to take care of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I am not complaining about another increase. I always keep the prepaid tips and give extra to the persons that are excellent. BUT within the last 10 years tips have gone up from $10.00 to the proposed $14.50, that is a 45% increase. I am sure most american worker salaries have not gone up 45% in the past 10 years especially those who have the same duties and job position.

And how many of those American workers salaries have line every pay day with customers asking for the employees money back because the soup was cold one night and it took 3 whole minutes to get cream for their coffee.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. That would be a deal breaker. :rolleyes:

$1 pp per day on the cruise price would be the exact same deal breaker as your auto grats going up $1 a day :rolleyes: only it would be non returnable unlike that of those oh so many who adjust their grats "downward " onboard.

Just to clarify......I don't think removing tips entirely is appropriate so I merely lower them to $10 PP PD which is what I've been told is what actually gets distributed to crew. The rest goes in the cruise lines coffers to cover admin fees for the collection and distribution and crew incentives.

If the cruise would make the gratuity a palitable amount I think less people would remove them.

you do realize that the line takes a percentage(if they take anything)

if you lower your tip amount its not like the cruise line is going to not take their cut and then pass the whole amount out to the crew.

I know its been said multiple time, but if an extra $1 per day, per person is a deal breaker, cruising may not be for you. (in general, not singling anyone out)

I myself am very cost conscious. I try to get the best possible deal on every purchase. I have no issue paying the extra buck for quality service. Maybe the rise in cost will equate to better service. Time will tell.