Tips going Up

tugboat

I just called Royal and the lady I spoke with did not know anything about it, not to say that they may not have told them yet. I went ahead and paid mine to be on the safe side and to just not have to hassle with it on the ship. Of course, I'll bring a little extra cash for extra tips for excellent service.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

This article is dated sept 2017 so it's recent

Let's use the stewards salary noted in this article which says they earn $650- $1150 per month which is a good income based on where they come from. Let's use the higher amount.

$1150 divided by 30 days is $38.33 per day

$38.33 divided by 19 cabins is $2 per day

Cruise is charging you for 2 people per cabin so what is really going of your $14.50 to the cabin stewart is $1 PP PD

Where do you think the rest of your money is going? Believe what you want but i believe a trusted friend in the business, you believe what you want.

Haven't people said for years that the tipped amount goes to MULTIPLE crew members?

You keep posting that rci keeps a bunch, and have been asked several times for a source, so will ask again- Got a source for that?

It's very easy to find this information yourself. The flip side is that there is no RCL source of what many here think happens; RCL does use weasel words knowing that low levels of reading comprehension and then assumptions based on customary practices in the US will effectively mislead many to think the money all goes directly to employees' pockets.

There now follows a chance of say a link to one of the RCL breakdowns of how the money is shared amongst teams. For those who might have done this, or might still do, the learning opportunity available is to think through what then might happen to the money and how much of that consideration of what might happen is driven by romantic assumption rather than what has actually been written.

When RCL is throwing a party for staff (one of the things they tell everyone they use the money for) some here think that RCL does this out of love alone and that there will be no margin on the cost of doing this. Those that think otherwise should already be across the line that RCL is keeping some of the money to bolster profit.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

This article is dated sept 2017 so it's recent

Let's use the stewards salary noted in this article which says they earn $650- $1150 per month which is a good income based on where they come from. Let's use the higher amount.

$1150 divided by 30 days is $38.33 per day

$38.33 divided by 19 cabins is $2 per day

Cruise is charging you for 2 people per cabin so what is really going of your $14.50 to the cabin stewart is $1 PP PD

Where do you think the rest of your money is going? Believe what you want but i believe a trusted friend in the business, you believe what you want.

This from a professional blogger who writes about what he feels like at the time. Seems CC paid for this?

By the way, Royal Caribbean isn't mentioned a single time in the gibberish.

As far as any proof, we're still waiting for you to provide it. You obviously can't. Just something you heard online or from "trusted friend", so it must be true.

This from a professional blogger who writes about what he feels like at the time. Seems CC paid for this?

By the way, Royal Caribbean isn't mentioned a single time in the gibberish.

As far as any proof, we're still waiting for you to provide it. You obviously can't. Just something you heard online or from "trusted friend", so it must be true.

Let's turn it around............you give proof that they actually disperse the money and to whom exactly? You can't - other then wishful thinking your hard earned dollars are going where you WISH they would go. RCL (and the other cruise lines) won't put out in their annual prospectus or elsewhere how they handle and distribute tips so why would anyone be so gullible to fantasize their money goes to only tips? OH it's because they call it gratuity !!!!

Let's turn it around............you give proof that they actually disperse the money and to whom exactly? You can't - other then wishful thinking your hard earned dollars are going where you WISH they would go. RCL (and the other cruise lines) won't put out in their annual prospectus or elsewhere how they handle and distribute tips so why would anyone be so gullible to fantasize their money goes to only tips? OH it's because they call it gratuity !!!!

Disgusting. So you not only insult us on Cruise Critic, you indite RCI based on your personal opinion. Then you offer no proof what-so-ever and ask us to prove you wrong.

That so-called formula you posted has no basis in reality when gratuities are shared among multiple crew members. Waiter, asst. waiter, head waiter, cabin attendants, and hotel services.

It must be a difficult for you personally to believe every corporation is out to screw you and their employees.

I don't think anyone is seriously questioning that RC keeps some portion for admin fees. The question is how much. You seem to think that your third hand grapevine is gospel. We just want to see some documentation that supports your claims.

I don't think anyone is seriously questioning that RC keeps some portion for admin fees. The question is how much. You seem to think that your third hand grapevine is gospel. We just want to see some documentation that supports your claims.

I have no reason to believe they are stealing, but I don't immediately feel that every company is stealing. If I truly believed a corporation would flat out steal from their employees while lying to their customers at the same time, I would not be spending money with them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

The workers who are paid by tips are getting a raise then. See this example:

Hi,

Had to chime in here. On our last cruises in October/November on Jewel, our cabin steward was looking after 19 cabins. Not sure if this is the new standard.

NJ

Thanks for chiming in, that’s very interesting. $6.90/cabin/day x 19 cabins/day x 7 days/week = $917.70/week on gratuities alone? [emoji848]

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54727023

So you are upset they are making $47,720 a year working 70+ Hours a week(which works out to $13 an hour)? And that's only if they don't take a vacation. Anyone know how much they actually make from the cruise line per hour?

So you are upset they are making $47,720 a year working 70+ Hours a week(which works out to $13 an hour)? And that's only if they don't take a vacation. Anyone know how much they actually make from the cruise line per hour?

Just providing information. I agree with them getting a raise.

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

Just want to make myself clear, the only "side" I am on in this discussion/debate is the side of facts. I care as a consumer and have an interest in knowing I'm not being lied to by the business I'm patronizing. I also care that the employees are being paid what we're being told they are being paid (i.e. the gratuities).

The trouble I'm having is trying to reconcile the information from various sources, not knowing exactly which ones are reliable. The math based on the gratuities breakdown for the cabin stewards is especially clear and suggests they're being paid much more than what other sources are telling us. I am not making a judgment on whether they're overpaid or underpaid. I'm saying there is a significant discrepancy between the information at hand and I'm not sure what to believe.

I am the poster who originally said (in a different thread), "$6.90/cabin/day x 19 cabins/day x 7 days/week = $917.70/week on gratuities alone?" The context of this is based on double-occupancy, and https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense telling us that the cabin steward receives $3.45 out of the $13.50 (soon to be $14.50, I guess) and one report of a steward being responsible for cleaning 19 staterooms (they must work really quickly on turnaround morning!). Mind you they don't necessarily make $917.70/week x 52 weeks/year ~= $47,700/year since I believe contracts are typically shorter than a year and the crew have breaks in between (e.g. to go home and see their families).

But at $917/week, the math does work out to roughly $3,700/month which is far more than other sources have suggested cabin stewards are paid. Again, I'm not sure what to believe. :confused:

Just want to make myself clear, the only "side" I am on in this discussion/debate is the side of facts. I care as a consumer and have an interest in knowing I'm not being lied to by the business I'm patronizing. I also care that the employees are being paid what we're being told they are being paid (i.e. the gratuities).

The trouble I'm having is trying to reconcile the information from various sources, not knowing exactly which ones are reliable. The math based on the gratuities breakdown for the cabin stewards is especially clear and suggests they're being paid much more than what other sources are telling us. I am not making a judgment on whether they're overpaid or underpaid. I'm saying there is a significant discrepancy between the information at hand and I'm not sure what to believe.

I am the poster who originally said (in a different thread), "$6.90/cabin/day x 19 cabins/day x 7 days/week = $917.70/week on gratuities alone?" The context of this is based on double-occupancy, and https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense telling us that the cabin steward receives $3.45 out of the $13.50 (soon to be $14.50, I guess) and one report of a steward being responsible for cleaning 19 staterooms (they must work really quickly on turnaround morning!). Mind you they don't necessarily make $917.70/week x 52 weeks/year ~= $47,700/year since I believe contracts are typically shorter than a year and the crew have breaks in between (e.g. to go home and see their families).

But at $917/week, the math does work out to roughly $3,700/month which is far more than other sources have suggested cabin stewards are paid. Again, I'm not sure what to believe. :confused:

I like the no-nonsense approach, and appreciate it, but also wonder how many people maybe remove the gratuities all together?

Personally, I don't have to believe anything - I'm not the gratuity police or Big Brother. I pay tips according to the guidelines and usually tip extra. It's up to the employees to determine if the pay is fair or not. Honestly, do you get this involved in everyone you tip - like waiters, hairdressers, etc.? Many of them pool tips, share tips - not up to me to figure it out.

Just to clarify......I don't think removing tips entirely is appropriate so I merely lower them to $10 PP PD which is what I've been told is what actually gets distributed to crew. The rest goes in the cruise lines coffers to cover admin fees for the collection and distribution and crew incentives.

If the cruise would make the gratuity a palitable amount I think less people would remove them.

So I'll give you the benefit of doubt for a few moments and assume that Royal does take some off the top for administrative purposes.

Are you really that naive to assume that because you lower your daily gratuity to $10 that Royal suddenly forgoes its share of the pie....most likely they still take theirs and you have reduced the workers portion.

I am not complaining about another increase. I always keep the prepaid tips and give extra to the persons that are excellent. BUT within the last 10 years tips have gone up from $10.00 to the proposed $14.50, that is a 45% increase. I am sure most american worker salaries have not gone up 45% in the past 10 years especially those who have the same duties and job position.

Average raise for hourly workers in the US: 2.5% - compounded over 10 years roughly 28%. The thing is 28% (or even 45%) of not much is still not much. The real question is how much are their deductions and how much do they go up. Any 2.5% raise I’ve ever gotten has been gobbled up by much larger increases in health care deductions I’m guessing - purely - that benefits for cruise ship workers are scant at best except of course for benefits consumed while working on board.

Not exactly sure what my point is here except that you can’t take a buck and put it over current tips and automatically impart a salary increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just to clarify......I don't think removing tips entirely is appropriate so I merely lower them to $10 PP PD which is what I've been told is what actually gets distributed to crew. The rest goes in the cruise lines coffers to cover admin fees for the collection and distribution and crew incentives.

If the cruise would make the gratuity a palitable amount I think less people would remove them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Personally, I don't have to believe anything - I'm not the gratuity police or Big Brother. I pay tips according to the guidelines and usually tip extra. It's up to the employees to determine if the pay is fair or not. Honestly, do you get this involved in everyone you tip - like waiters, hairdressers, etc.? Many of them pool tips, share tips - not up to me to figure it out.

The difference here is that RCI has officially disclosed certain details of the gratuities breakdown, for transparency and/or other reasons. As a consumer who likes to be informed, I'm interested in knowing whether I'm being lied to and patronizing a dishonest company. If certain facts coming to light will make a company look bad (such as skimming from the crew's tips), they have an interest in being vague, misleading, or keeping embarrassing details a secret from the public.

I can't square the discrepancy in pay and it's an interesting mystery to me. It may not interest everyone, and that's fine, too.

I like the no-nonsense approach, and appreciate it, but also wonder how many people maybe remove the gratuities all together?

I'm not sure how many people remove the gratuities. I've suggested a poll be set up on CC for those who are interested in answering that question. We may get a subset of CC members responding, which overall would still be a small percentage of the cruise-going public, but maybe there will be enough responses, that if even marginally representative, could very broadly gauge whether it's 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 of guests.

Now, if you believe the Hotel Director I asked while on board Navigator a few weeks ago, I was told that removing the gratuities makes no difference to the crew. RCI has to make up the difference, I assume because their pay has a contractually-guaranteed minimum (it does raise other interesting questions such as what happens to "extra" amounts, e.g. when higher than double occupancy, or if everyone were to leave auto-gratuities on, etc.). I was also told that the crew keep 100% of tips given to them in cash under any circumstances.

This is just one anecdote (albeit from what should be an authoritative source), so any interested parties should feel free to confirm or dispute this by citing a similar interaction with a senior officer or other trustworthy source of information. But if true, the best-case scenario for the crew is passengers removing auto-gratuities AND giving cash to individuals.

FWIW, I've always left the auto-gratuities in place (some cases daily charges to use OBC, most cases pre-paid) and where I've felt it was deserved, gave additional tips in cash to selected crew members.

I don't mind paying a small increase in gratuities. The staff works hard enough and should be paid according to the guidelines.

I do, however, feel it's wrong if RCI keeps a portion of those gratuities for their own use. Gratuities should not be used for RCI administrative costs, a very broad term.

Tipping should be a personal choice as it once was.

<br />

<br />

<br />

Crew does NOT get all the money, the cruise lines takes out an administration fee and also takes out things for employess of the month and incentives.

Thanks for chiming in, that’s very interesting. $6.90/cabin/day x 19 cabins/day x 7 days/week = $917.70/week on gratuities alone? [emoji848]<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Crew does NOT get all the money, the cruise lines takes out an administration fee and also takes out things for employess of the month and incentives

And you know this how???:rolleyes: