Tips going Up

tugboat

My input would be as more folks back off their tips others needs to make up the difference. I was one the Harmony last month and went down to Customer Service the last night of the cruise and there was a officer with a hand held computer in a special line removing tips.

My feeling in all of this is that I certainly do not mind paying an extra $1 ppd. No issue at all. In fact, I ALWAYS tip the room steward and assistant, waiter and assistant waiter and favorite bartenders extra, considerably extra. My only issue is, as another poster mentioned, the admin portion of the tip. Frankly that is disgusting and the practice should be stopped immediately.

My only issue is, as another poster mentioned, the admin portion of the tip. Frankly that is disgusting and the practice should be stopped immediately.

You are assuming that RCI takes any part of the grats - no one has ever shown any proof that happens.

<br />

<br />

<br />

Crew does NOT get all the money, the cruise lines takes out an administration fee and also takes out things for employess of the month and incentives.

Thanks for chiming in, that’s very interesting. $6.90/cabin/day x 19 cabins/day x 7 days/week = $917.70/week on gratuities alone? [emoji848]<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Crew does NOT get all the money, the cruise lines takes out an administration fee and also takes out things for employess of the month and incentives

Got a source for this?

Putting aside the fact we always tip our favorite bartenders $1 extra per drink, and our real favorite ones $25 additional at the end of the cruise, how the heck can people complain of paying an extra $7!!?? I find complaining about paying an extra $7 is ridiculous and really crazy in fact very petty...just think, when you work don't you like to have a raise each year, why can't the workers on the ships, they are entitled also. I am shaking my head here of those who are complaining of paying an extra $7 per person, crazy......

I am not complaining about another increase. I always keep the prepaid tips and give extra to the persons that are excellent. BUT within the last 10 years tips have gone up from $10.00 to the proposed $14.50, that is a 45% increase. I am sure most american worker salaries have not gone up 45% in the past 10 years especially those who have the same duties and job position.

Tips always end up a heated topic, so hopefully we don't end up there, but I wonder if this is somewhat to cover the people that remove them. As more remove them, they have to raise the price for those that don't to cover the tips that are contracted to employees, however as the price goes up, more will remove the auto grats, so it ends up in a big loop.

Tips always end up a heated topic, so hopefully we don't end up there, but I wonder if this is somewhat to cover the people that remove them. As more remove them, they have to raise the price for those that don't to cover the tips that are contracted to employees, however as the price goes up, more will remove the auto grats, so it ends up in a big loop.

Exactly and this is why tips should be mandatory. Unless there is a valid reason for removal, a complaint that was reported to the hotel director or head waiter during the cruise that warrants removal. Just because you didn't use the main dining room to me is not a valid reason.

Exactly and this is why tips should be mandatory.

I'm not sure why they don't do just that. When they advertise rates, such as "From $XYZ", the fine print says, "+ taxes, fees, and port expenses". The fine print could just as easily read, "+ taxes, fees, port expenses, and service charges".

They already do not post the all-in price upfront, so I don't see how making gratuities mandatory would change anything from a marketing standpoint. It's the same with airlines, hotels, etc.; the advertised price always excludes taxes, security fees, resort fees, and so on.

Just to clarify......I don't think removing tips entirely is appropriate so I merely lower them to $10 PP PD which is what I've been told is what actually gets distributed to crew. The rest goes in the cruise lines coffers to cover admin fees for the collection and distribution and crew incentives.

If the cruise would make the gratuity a palitable amount I think less people would remove them.

Just to clarify......I don't think removing tips entirely is appropriate so I merely lower them to $10 PP PD which is what I've been told is what actually gets distributed to crew. The rest goes in the cruise lines coffers to cover admin fees for the collection and distribution and crew incentives.

If the cruise would make the gratuity a palitable amount I think less people would remove them.

You can't go to guest relations and lower them. You can remove them then hand out the cash at the end of the cruise.

I'm not sure where you get the notion that "the rest goes in the cruise lines coffers." That's not the case. It goes to housekeeping, Maitre'd and their assistants, and those folks who bus your tables up in the windjammer.

You can't go to guest relations and lower them. You can remove them then hand out the cash at the end of the cruise.

I'm not sure where you get the notion that "the rest goes in the cruise lines coffers." That's not the case. It goes to housekeeping, Maitre'd and their assistants, and those folks who bus your tables up in the windjammer.

Here is the breakdown per Royal Caribbean. No mention of administrative fee:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

That's buried in "other hotel services".

Ok. So the amount listed for the stateroom attendant goes the stateroom attendants. Good.

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

You keep posting that rci keeps a bunch, and have been asked several times for a source, so will ask again- Got a source for that?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

We just consider gratuities part of the cruise fare. Most of the time the TA covers the gratuities flat out or we use the TA or cruise line OBCs to cover the gratuities. We don't remove or decrease gratuities. We don't concern ourselves with who gets how much of the gratuities we (TA) pay.

Just got a email from my TA notifying me tips go up $1.00 pp/per day starting 1/2/2018. If I prepaid them I will be grandfathered in.

Anyone else here this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't mean to be rude, but can we have proof? I'm on a 1/14/18 sailing and I have not received anything from Royal on this subject. I booked directly with Royal.

I don't mean to be rude, but can we have proof? I'm on a 1/14/18 sailing and I have not received anything from Royal on this subject. I booked directly with Royal.

They may not announce it until after the fact. I plan to call today. I usually tip extra, and will probably just prepay the current amount and bring cash for anybody that goes above and beyond.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

This article is dated sept 2017 so it's recent

Let's use the stewards salary noted in this article which says they earn $650- $1150 per month which is a good income based on where they come from. Let's use the higher amount.

$1150 divided by 30 days is $38.33 per day

$38.33 divided by 19 cabins is $2 per day

Cruise is charging you for 2 people per cabin so what is really going of your $14.50 to the cabin stewart is $1 PP PD

Where do you think the rest of your money is going? Believe what you want but i believe a trusted friend in the business, you believe what you want.

TA's have been notifying their clients. I'm sure RCI will make an announcement in the coming days, weeks, or months.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

This article is dated sept 2017 so it's recent

Let's use the stewards salary noted in this article which says they earn $650- $1150 per month which is a good income based on where they come from. Let's use the higher amount.

$1150 divided by 30 days is $38.33 per day

$38.33 divided by 19 cabins is $2 per day

Cruise is charging you for 2 people per cabin so what is really going of your $14.50 to the cabin stewart is $1 PP PD

Where do you think the rest of your money is going? Believe what you want but i believe a trusted friend in the business, you believe what you want.

Nothing in that article says royal is stealing their tips, which is what you are claiming.