Cruise Cancellation

Megan_Strick

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer on Christmas Eve. My hubby and I are booked for a cruise in June. I want to go ahead and cancel because I have no idea what is going to be going on. I guess there is no luck in getting my deposit back? No, I don't have insurance. Is it too late to add then cancel? Probably so.

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer on Christmas Eve. My hubby and I are booked for a cruise in June. I want to go ahead and cancel because I have no idea what is going to be going on. I guess there is no luck in getting my deposit back? No, I don't have insurance. Is it too late to add then cancel? Probably so.

Yes it is too late to add insurance to cover this event. I had lung cancer surgery June 2016 and as a dad myself I can say that I'd want you to take the cruise regardless, so I'd suggest that you talk it over with him before you do cancel. If you booked Early Saver you pay a $50 fee for the cancellation and the remainder of your deposit is held for a future cruise.

Yes it is too late to add insurance to cover this event. I had lung cancer surgery last June and as a dad myself I can say that I'd want you to take the cruise regardless, so I'd suggest that you talk it over with him before you do. If you booked Early Saver you pay a $50 fee for the cancellation and the remainder of your deposit is held for a future cruise.

Well I'm sure he would want me to go but its just myself and my husband to take care of him. If he had treatment or doctor appointments there is no one to take him. Unfortunately, we don't really have family to help.

I hope you are doing well! 3 years to the date he was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. We got over that so I know we can get through this. Thanks for your suggestion! I will do that

Well I'm sure he would want me to go but its just myself and my husband to take care of him. If he had treatment or doctor appointments there is no one to take him. Unfortunately, we don't really have family to help.

I hope you are doing well! 3 years to the date he was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. We got over that so I know we can get through this. Thanks for your suggestion! I will do that

I am doing well, thank you! Ah, not having help can certainly put a damper on things. A lot will depend on what kind of treatment he'll need. Mine was cured by the surgery, no radiation or chemo needed and if surgery is indicated it will happen sooner rather than later. Good luck and I'll keep him in my prayers!

I am doing well, thank you! Ah, not having help can certainly put a damper on things. A lot will depend on what kind of treatment he'll need. Mine was cured by the surgery, no radiation or chemo needed and if surgery is indicated it will happen sooner rather than later. Good luck and I'll keep him in my prayers!

Thank you so much!

Sparks1093, so sorry about your Dad's diagnosis.

I am an oncology nurse. Before you cancel, see what his treatment is. If it is surgery, he will be ok by June. If chemo and/or radiation, he may need some assistance. YOU may need that break by then. It is imperative that you take care of yourself, as well as your Dad.

Find out the treatment first, then decide.

I am an oncology nurse. Before you cancel, see what his treatment is. If it is surgery, he will be ok by June. If chemo and/or radiation, he may need some assistance. YOU may need that break by then. It is imperative that you take care of yourself, as well as your Dad.

It's actually sthrnbll's dad who has the diagnose but very sound advice.

Yes it is too late to add insurance to cover this event. I had lung cancer surgery June 2016 and as a dad myself I can say that I'd want you to take the cruise regardless, so I'd suggest that you talk it over with him before you do cancel. If you booked Early Saver you pay a $50 fee for the cancellation and the remainder of your deposit is held for a future cruise.
Im not sure that this is always correct. You will find that as you get closer to sailing that options for insurance with a "pre-existing waiver" start to dwindle and get more expensive, but you should still have options. Caring for your sick father would be a covered reason on many if not most travel policys. I would visit a site like insuremytrip and look for options.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Im not sure that this is always correct. You will find that as you get closer to sailing that options for insurance with a "pre-existing waiver" start to dwindle and get more expensive, but you should still have options. Caring for your sick father would be a covered reason on many if not most travel policys. I would visit a site like insuremytrip and look for options.

Yes, I should have remembered that some policies are available with a pre-existing condition rider at extra cost.

My prayers are with you and your dad. Since the cruise is more than six months out you can cancel and in most cases get most of your money back (or get a future cruise credit). It depends on the manner of booking. If booked as a past guest or fun rate then all money should be refunded. If you booked as early saver then $50.00 per guest cancelation fee applies the rest of the money is a future cruise credit.

Also check with your credit card company used to purchase the cruise since credit cards often have a travel insurance product.

God bless.

I'm sorry to hear about your father. I completely understand why you want to cancel. Did you book Early Saver? If not, then you should still be within the allowed cancellation period for a June cruise.

Thank you so much! He is 73 and very stubborn. I just hope he plans on getting treatment!

I am sorry to hear about your dad I know from experience this a tough diagnosis. I had both parents in a 12 month period diagnosed with lung cancer, both had surgery no radiation or chemo. They are both in mid to late 70's and recovery was longer and there have been some changes to their stamina, they are mostly back to normal.

You should still be able to get insurance from an outside insurance vendor, not Carnival. That way if things turn worse you can use it. You wouldn't be able to get insurance today and make an immediate claim.

Being his care givers I know it is hard to take a personal break but remember you need to stay healthy to be a good care giver. There are many respite care providers that you could utilize if needed. Also, don't forget things like meals on wheels while you are gone. Also his doctors office will be a tremendous wealth of information for arranging things and recommending providers for services if you still choose to cruise including any needed visits.

Wouldn't this be fraud? To pay a few dollars for a policy knowing full well you're cancelling a trip, WITH pre-existing condition, to gain back thousands of dollars?

Wouldn't this be fraud? To pay a few dollars for a policy knowing full well you're cancelling a trip, WITH pre-existing condition, to gain back thousands of dollars?
The whole idea of buying a pre-existing waiver is to have coverage if a pre-ex condition prevents you from traveling. When the time comes that they have to make that decision, they will have choices. And they cant take all the time they need to before they decide to cancel or go.

I’m so sorry for you guys; I hope the treatment is effective, and he will be better than ever! I recommend either buying a travel insurance policy that covers pre-existing conditions or cancel for any reason. It’ll cost you more but will provide you with the peace of mind you need. That way, if you’re desperate for a break, you can go, but if you need to stay back, you’ll be able to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m so sorry for you guys; I hope the treatment is effective, and he will be better than ever! I recommend either buying a travel insurance policy that covers pre-existing conditions or cancel for any reason. It’ll cost you more but will provide you with the peace of mind you need. That way, if you’re desperate for a break, you can go, but if you need to stay back, you’ll be able to.

I know with the insurance policy I buy, you only have the option to buy cancel for any reason 15 days or less after you put deposit down on a cruise. Not sure if all insurance companies do this, but I think it is common. Good luck to OP and best wishes for speedy recovery for her father.

Great point regarding her needing a break. Couldn't agree more