Carry On Luggage Advice

Keith1010

I am considering new carry on luggage for myself and my wife.

I do know I need to look at some of this in a store and not on line to be sure.

I would appreciate input.

We want to go with a 22" Spinner.

The 22" inches needs to be a true 22" which includes the handle and the wheels.

Downside of the spinner over a two wheel is that the interior space is smaller so am looking for one that would maximize the interior space meaning that maybe the handle is not as high when the handle is all the way in and the wheels do not stick out too far.

Want it to be soft on the top so that we can inset a computer etc. to an outside pocket.

Would like it to not be too heavy when empty.

We want something that will last and are willing to pay more for something with good quality.

I am finding that trying to find one is more of a challenge then picking out electronics or even a cruise.

So I appreciate advice including links to the one(s) you recommend.

I plan to post this on one or two other boards.

Thank you.

Happy New Year.

Keith

JMO, of course, but I found I prefer the old 2-wheel drag along type because the smaller size of the spinner wheels makes it difficult to move the suitcase in the upright position through carpeted areas. and dragging one behind with the spinner wheels behind over carpeted areas was harder too.

We only do carry on, international size, when we travel. One week or two months.

Our choice is the two wheel rollers. I would think that it depends on where you go and how you travel. Four wheel spinners may be fine in airports and hotels. We do a fair amount of trave in Europe and SE Asia. Trains, busses, ferries as well as flights. The spinners would not work well for us on many of those city streets. We prefer the two wheel because the wheels are recessed and far less likely to be get broken or tobe snapped off the bottom of the case. Just our preference.....others will no doubt have other opinions.

I can’t give advice on a wheeled case as I use a hand held, but if you travel in Europe, be aware that the maximum Carry-On size is slightly smaller than in the US, and some airlines are very picky about this.

JMO, of course, but I found I prefer the old 2-wheel drag along type because the smaller size of the spinner wheels makes it difficult to move the suitcase in the upright position through carpeted areas. and dragging one behind with the spinner wheels behind over carpeted areas was harder too.

In addition, you'll have a more difficult time with the smaller spinner wheels if you have to go across a graveled area or a walkway that has broken concrete. You may not always encounter rough terrain, but when you do, you'll appreciate having the slightly larger two wheels than the four little spinners.

Let me try this one more time.

I am not looking for advice on spinners versus two wheels.

I really know the pros/cons of each.

I am looking for recommendations on specific pieces of luggage.

Thank you so much.

Happy New Year.

Keith

OP needs to visit a luggage store. "Spinner" type luggage has a lot of limitations, and needs to be "est driven" before purchase.

Thank you but I really am aware of the pros and cons of spinner luggage.

Now I am just looking for a recommendation on specific spinner luggage which meets the requirements I mentioned in my OP. :)

Keith

Let me try this one more time.

I am not looking for advice on spinners versus two wheels.

I really know the pros/cons of each.

I am looking for recommendations on specific pieces of luggage.

Thank you so much.

Happy New Year.

Keith

We needed to replace our old luggage about 4 years ago, and looked at a lot of different brands and read dozens of reviews. We opted for Samsonite soft-sided luggage, which had as many good reviews as some of the higher-priced brands. It fit our needs perfectly. The carry-ons are the two-wheeled type, and each has a large pocket on the front that a laptop would easily fit into. Except for a few scuff marks, they've held up very well.

If you are willing to spend the $$$$ I'd look at "Briggs and Riley". They are far from cheap but are top of the line with a lifetime warranty.

Lifetime warranty means as long as theyaare in business. Who knows how long that might be?

Thank you all of for the ideas.

SadieN I have not looked at the IT bags and will now followup. Thank you.

beachbum53 thank you but this time around I am looking for ones that have the four wheels.

TruckerDave, that is one of the companies I have looked at but am looking for comments from people who have used them already but thank you for mentioning this one because it does fit the type we are considering.

Pudgesmom, yes this is something I know about no matter what the size is. Some companies correctly show the size which should include wheels and handle and others do not.

iancal, excellent points. In my case we would use this one just for flights and cruises and when on land vacations we would not push them around on sidewalks etc.

Again thank you all and please keep the suggestions coming.

Keith

Personally after years of weekly travel I love my TravelPro 22” carry on but would not recommend spinners unless it is high quality luggage as they break off quite easily as they are so exposed. I have just started us8ng the Rick Steve’s bag and love it - lightweight but sturdy.

We have several Tumi pieces that are 4 wheel spinners, including carry on size. Pricey, but we travel a lot and definitely feel good quality luggage is worth investing in. I definitely feel you should check Tumi out. We also have a Briggs and Riley carry on which we find very well designed (lots of well placed pockets etc) and we use it often, however it is a 2 wheeled bag, so I can't comment on their 4 wheel spinners. I will say we use the Tumi more often than the Briggs and Riley. Just our opinion. YMMV

We bought IT Cases & matching carry on bags in Dec 2015. Fine for airport style surfaces but walking along normal UK pavements (sidewalks) destroyed the small wheels on both cases; and having to drag the cases on the wheel stumps left some big dents and gauges in the bodywork!

We replaced the cases with Antler - roughly double the price but the wheels and the mounts are much sturdier. The cases also have TSA locks. The exterior of the cases have a couple of scuffs but they've had 2 cruises (14 & 46 nights) where they've been packed to the gunwhales (25Kgs or so) and a return trip to France where we almost managed to pack the (proverbial) kitchen sink so they appear capable of (literally) coping with the 'heavy lifting'. We're very pleased with the performance at maximum capacity.

Steve & Elaine

I love Delsey aero helium. They have European and US carryon, 4 wheel spinner. It is hard sided suitcase but it has the ease of one side packing, (the lid opens without having to pack on both sides which is rare for a hardside). Some have the outside pocket as well. Love this luggage and travel monthly. I also have the “it” luggage but it is not as durable as hardside and also not waterproof which shouldnt be problematic for carry-on but have actually had the soaking wet, stuck in the runway” checked bags. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been using a Kipling carry on for over 20 years and it has the outside pockets I need to either put my jacket in or my iPad (will hold a computer as well), plus a small zip that I store a small luggage scale in and on the back is another pocket that I keep a file folder of our travel documents in (hotel accommodations, cruise boarding pass, flight arrangements, etc.....just not my passport).

It has very rugged zippers and the fabric shows no sign of wear after many flights and weekend trips. I only just replaced it a couple of years ago with the 4 wheel spinner model but will not part with the 2 wheeled version in order to have it for those rougher terrains I may encounter on some trips.

I am VERY particular about my carry on and 2nd personal bag/purse. I have many other Kipling bags and can attest t their wearability and functionality. Very well designed and many options to select what is right for you.

Keith,

we have expensive light weight brand name suitcases, but for the carry on, we went to TJ Max and got the lightest we could find, never mind the brand.

I have one with no interior dividers into which I put our small day pack and various stuff that I don't want to check. It is a soft side with outside pockets. My husband has an even smaller one in case we fly with an airline that requires small carry on pieces. His can be opened on top to slide in a laptop.

Since they will not be checked in, they don't get the abuse of our other suitcases.