CROWN PRINCESS : March - April, 2018 Refurbishment

winpub

Hope they replace the tables and chairs in the Horizon Court! Really needed!

If you wanted to put new seats into your car, would you jack it up and take the wheels off?

There is absolutely no reason that they need to put the ship into drydock (i.e. up on blocks, out of the water) to replace some tables and chairs. They merely load them on in port, and load off the old ones somewhere later (if not the same day).

In your Cruise Personalizer under the tab for booking specialty restaurants should be a link to the menu that will be in effect on your cruise. You can hope for the old rather than the new but I fear I have just become the bearer of bad news...

We had the old Sabatini's menu on our 12/3/17 Regal sailing for months. Then one day maybe 6 weeks prior to sailing it changed to the new menu and the new price. I would assume they refunded the price difference tothose who had already purchased it at the $29 price.

If you wanted to put new seats into your car, would you jack it up and take the wheels off?

There is absolutely no reason that they need to put the ship into drydock (i.e. up on blocks, out of the water) to replace some tables and chairs. They merely load them on in port, and load off the old ones somewhere later (if not the same day).

Oh my, this is supposed to be a happy place! Cruiselines use the term dry-dock when a ship is out of service for extended repairs and maintenance whether it is literally out of the water or not. Here is how Princess describes it:

"Minor, freshening" refers to soft element upgrades like carpets, linens, wares as well as painting, polishing, deep cleaning. Ship system maintenance is also performed during these dry dock periods, something akin to a tune-up for a car.”

It is not unreasonable to expect the chairs and tables in Horizon Court to be upgraded.

No, but if your car was already up on blocks for some sort of service...

This might be a good time to replace the seats, as no one will be sitting in them while the car is on blocks, out of use.

Oh my, this is supposed to be a happy place! Cruiselines use the term dry-dock when a ship is out of service for extended repairs and maintenance whether it is literally out of the water or not. Here is how Princess describes it:

"Minor, freshening" refers to soft element upgrades like carpets, linens, wares as well as painting, polishing, deep cleaning. Ship system maintenance is also performed during these dry dock periods, something akin to a tune-up for a car.”

It is not unreasonable to expect the chairs and tables in Horizon Court to be upgraded.

It's not unreasonable to expect that fixtures and chairs could get replaced, but it's silly to think that Princess would intentionally wait until a drydock to do this. If you want Princess to replace the tables and chairs, just ask them to replace the tables and chairs...they can do it anytime. Same goes with the mattresses.

A couple years ago, I saw a TV documentary about what happens with a cruise ship on turnaround day. One of the things they did was exchange 150 mattresses, and they really did exchange them: 150 came on the ship, and 150 went off the ship. That was probably a truckload, so an effective size for them to handle. It'd be silly for them to ask their vendor to store 3300 mattresses just so they could send 22 trucks all at once during a drydock when they could more easily do a truck per week/10 days. Same with the tables/chairs.

• 1 month later...

Personally, as I will be boarding Crown late this summer I hope they will do up Horizon court like they did on Caribbean Princess. The latter looked so dated with the worn out wood, heavy furniture and dark terracotta tiles. The fresh lighter colours, quirky touches to interiors and new stations for food were a great improvement to the Carib buffet areas. Thought the ice cream bar upgrade was fab as well. Overall that refurb made me think of Celebrity's buffet (marketplace?).

So they won't be doing the BBQ/Seafood extensions on Crown it seems but dear god I hope they otherwise provide a similar facelift. Can't wait to find out.. and am hoping am not disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the ships look great with the Sea Witch. I don't care what the perception is about which lines are luxury, mainstream, doesn't matter to me. It all changed when cruise lines decided to go after the business and more mass market to fill the ships.

All good, bad start ship wasn’t ready for service. What’s new. New TVs in all cabins, not interactive. Slice and salty dog on top deck with extended menus. Pizza is very good. New carpets in hallways. New muts screen. All new carpeting in green on open decks. New tiling round centre pools. New beds and new bedding.

All good, bad start ship wasn’t ready for service. What’s new. New TVs in all cabins, not interactive. Slice and salty dog on top deck with extended menus. Pizza is very good. New carpets in hallways. New muts screen. All new carpeting in green on open decks. New tiling round centre pools. New beds and new bedding.

Please tell me they've updated the Horizon court and Cafe Caribe or are those still he same: chunky old furniture and red terracotta & blue tiles..?

Thank you for this! We're boarding April 17 in Barcelona.

Enjoy your trip.

The beauty part of all this discussion is we all have choices and we all make our own decisions. If something is not to our liking or how it is done, we can modify our choices. I always look forward to something new, but that is my decision on how I view things. I like the new Salty Dog menu, some will complain about paying for an Ernesto Burger, so get the free offered burger, but in my mind I pay 6.00 to 8.00 for a beer, now I can try something new and get a tag along burger to go with my beverage. I too remember what was or how it was and how much I loved the Helms Bakery truck rolling up the street, but guess what, things change. I look forward to all the new changes on my next Crown Princess cruise in only 81 days.

I'm cruising on the Crown Princess in March of 2019, and I just got an email from Princess about the addition of Slice Pizzeria, Coffee & Cones, Salty Dog Grill, The Mix Bar, Camp Discovery, and new Princess Luxury Beds, which I imagine will be in addition to the infrastructure for the Ocean Medallion features.

Here's a link to the upgrades.

I'm cruising on the Crown Princess in March of 2019, and I just got an email from Princess about the addition of Slice Pizzeria, Coffee & Cones, Salty Dog Grill, The Mix Bar, Camp Discovery, and new Princess Luxury Beds, which I imagine will be in addition to the infrastructure for the Ocean Medallion features.

Here's a link to the upgrades.

Same here....we're on Crown Princess in November 2018 and the email has me excited! We've taken a Princess cruise every year for the past 4 years and love their ships. I for the life of me can't understand why people complain about the way things used to be or the way things are now or whether or not the pizza is good or the dining options, etc etc etc. I guess I'm just not picky when it comes to a cruise. Our 10 days in November will be our highlight of the year. I never look for 'bad' things on a cruise. Sometimes I wonder why I read CruiseCritic at all.......I certainly don't let what someone says about a ship alter my expectations of a cruise. Sure, sometimes things happen but I don't dwell on it. Any cruise is a good cruise for me (fire up your flame guns now). Most passengers on the ships we have been on have never heard of 'Cruise Critic'.

The beauty part of all this discussion is we all have choices and we all make our own decisions. If something is not to our liking or how it is done, we can modify our choices. I always look forward to something new, but that is my decision on how I view things. I like the new Salty Dog menu, some will complain about paying for an Ernesto Burger, so get the free offered burger, but in my mind I pay 6.00 to 8.00 for a beer, now I can try something new and get a tag along burger to go with my beverage. I too remember what was or how it was and how much I loved the Helms Bakery truck rolling up the street, but guess what, things change. I look forward to all the new changes on my next Crown Princess cruise in only 81 days.
OMG the Helms Bakery truck! I loved the sound of the ball bearings when they rolled out the racks of baked goods, and what a treat when my mom (not very often) would buy me a chocolate glazed donut! Was heaven.

Thank you for the update. When you say TVs are not interactive, there are no on demand movies, documentaries, travel shows, etc., correct? Just the normal 10 or so channels? Just off the Regal and the TV was great. Nice to pick some random travel show before falling asleep. Also, does Sabatini’s have the new menu?

Same here....we're on Crown Princess in November 2018 and the email has me excited! We've taken a Princess cruise every year for the past 4 years and love their ships. I for the life of me can't understand why people complain about the way things used to be or the way things are now or whether or not the pizza is good or the dining options, etc etc etc. I guess I'm just not picky when it comes to a cruise. Our 10 days in November will be our highlight of the year. I never look for 'bad' things on a cruise. Sometimes I wonder why I read CruiseCritic at all.......I certainly don't let what someone says about a ship alter my expectations of a cruise. Sure, sometimes things happen but I don't dwell on it. Any cruise is a good cruise for me (fire up your flame guns now). Most passengers on the ships we have been on have never heard of 'Cruise Critic'.

I also got the email and am so excited to see the improvements! We sail for the first time on Crown Princess May 2019...the British Isles!! Our first Princess cruise was summer 2017 Alaska Glacier cruise. Loved it, love Princess!

It still raises my blood pressure just to think about the insulting concept that I encountered on the CB and thatPrincess thought their passengers would except such a obvious money saving/ use left overs type venue ...

Of course all those who have never sailed on any other Princess ship, or never really used the HC before would even know the difference (IMO this was Princess's hope)

I promised myself, after my initial report last May on the CB in Europe that I would not be one of the type CC posters who continuously harps on the same dislike over and over.. So use the search function for last May and June for "Market Place" and you'll find plenty of descriptions and reviews

Lastly, I'm sure or at least I hope, if Princess hasn't already, that with all the complaints they must of received all season in Europe, that they have at least, when it comes to the menu's reverted a bit back to what frequent North American cruisers have come to expect on a Princess cruise - AKA less peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for diner and more traditional dinning fare .

YMMV

Srpilo

We too were on the CB BI cruise, wonderful itinerary but the worst food we have ever experienced. I know food is subjective but I wrote a detailed complaint to Princess Customer Service ..

NOT to recover cost or be compensated ...but to hope for a positive change: pre cooked beef that was then thrown on the grill, PB&J stations, tasteless desserts, MDR food that was inedible . Hoping for the best on our TA Cruise.