Long term benefits for staff

Some people like to know how employees fare regarding salary, insurance, etc., because they are concerned about ensuring workers have fair compensation, safety, human rights, and job security.

As a consumer, I think it is my right to know how companies I deal with treat their employees.

Do you know what the department store pays its workers?

First off, after unwillingly following the link to Walker's page, and then the link to his SS Norway page, I find again why I disregard virtually all of what he says. He says that the courts "stripped" the rights of foreign seafarers from filing lawsuits under the Jones Act. The Jones Act is only for US seafarers, and has no jurisdiction over foreign seafarers. The judge ruled on this, not on any relative merits of either party's case.

Next, I don't see how the company having binding arbitration in the crew contract "bypasses" the CBA, since the party representing the crew in the collective bargaining agree to the terms of the employment contract. And for Walker to say that the cruise lines inserted "foreign law" from countries like Panama and Bahamas is totally ridiculous, and merely a means of him promoting ideas to get as many cases as he can, since by law, the ship operates under the laws of the flag state (like Panama and Bahamas) and not under some other country where the crew could "get a better deal".

News flash, I am a US seafarer, employed by a US company, on a US flag vessel, and represented by a US maritime union. Per my collective bargaining agreement, how are disputes with the company resolved? Arbitration.

Should I dissect Walker's "article" regarding working conditions?

Let's start with working hours. Walker says he has "documented" overwork on the Oceania Riviera, where workers called him and reported working over their legal hours. If Walker really thought he had a case, he had a moral responsibility to either direct the crew to the USCG or to report to the USCG himself, this violation. The USCG, as a port state control agency (as opposed to a flag state agency) has the jurisdiction to ensure that all international agreements are met on ships when they call in the US. How come he never did this?

Compensation. Mr. Walker's discussion never once mentions the terms of the Manila Labor Convention, which dictates the minimum wage for all seafarers, and which can also be investigated by the USCG if non-compliance is alleged. And the use of passenger DSC to form part of various crew members' compensation is clearly spelled out in the crew's employment contract.

"Cruise lines are working to strip crew members from the protection of all US law". Kind of hard to "strip" something from someone, when that someone never was entitled to it in the first place.

And on and on.

Game, Set, and Match

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One of the staff on my recent trip told me that Royal has a pension type program for those who stay with the company. I didn’t want to ask him details but am curious if anyone knows what the RCL plan if for crew who work for royal for 10 years (as example).

The only legitimate reason I can think of to ask this question is you’re considering employment with them. In which case, you need to contact RCI.

I agree, don't know why people are so concerned, do you go to your local grocery store, or phamacy or mall and ask them how much they make.!!!:)

It is a job and like others said it is between employee and employer

It's wacky how obsessed people get on one thing. You do have to wonder if they randomly interrogate every person they interact with???

"I see you making my taco. Let me ask... do you get a pension and feel you are adequately compensated to make this taco?"

Well there's quite a few judgemental people here, huh? Curiosity isn't a crime, I do sometimes get curious regarding job industries I know nothing about. When I was a waitress, people used to sometimes ask what we actually made per hour (in our paycheck vs. with tips) because they just didn't know and they were curious. I wasn't offended, and there was no reason to be. If you don't like OPs question, go read a different thread. And anyone who called them nosy - I'm SURE you've had a nosy minute or two in your life. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here's a link to an article where Australia detained a foreign ship for violations of the MLC:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-_8qQvcjYAhUD61MKHbfyAMgQFgg-MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgcaptain.com%2Faustralia-detains-bulk-carrier-over-crew-labor-violations%2F&usg=AOvVaw0wpcGhj3PbxK808qV4XQUX

And here's on where Brazil (not known for their labor protections, detained a cruise ship:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-_8qQvcjYAhUD61MKHbfyAMgQFggnMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibtimes.com%2Fcruise-labor-under-spotlight-after-brazil-accuses-ship-subjecting-staff-slave-conditions-1568709&usg=AOvVaw2wdmkL7yqUD3M2AyKl9LWy

So, if these nations can and do investigate alleged violations of the crew's international rights, what is there to imply that the US would not be just as diligent?

Some people like to know how employees fare regarding salary, insurance, etc., because they are concerned about ensuring workers have fair compensation, safety, human rights, and job security.

As a consumer, I think it is my right to know how companies I deal with treat their employees.

Unless cruise lines make it a common practice to hold a gun to the head of the potential employee or their family to coerce them into signing the contract, by definition cruise ship employees get "fair compensation". If they don't think it is fair...DON'T SIGN THE CONTRACT.

Ambulance chasing lawyers like Walker.

Well played. You know my disdain for that guy. He uses the blog to rope in as many potential clients as possible, without thought to the merits of their cases, in the hopes that the cruise line will get tired and settle on or two.

In the USA it is well documented as to what many humans earn. Every Federal, State, County, City, Town, Military, School workers salary is documented. Forbes and Time keep us informed of what CEO's and Holywood humans earn. We all know what fast food, baggage handlers, office cleaners earn, close to min. wage. ;p

Do you know what the department store pays its workers?

More or less. I live in Denmark. We don't have wages below $15-17 per hour.

Also: wages are never secret. An employee always has the right to tell. Especially the union. And often the wages (minimum, average, max) are published on the union's homepage.

So how much does your insurance man earn? How about the gas station attendant? How much do the grocery store employees earn? What kind of retirement program do they have? Would love to be there when you ask them, or do you hire private investigators? If so, what kind of employee benefits do the PIs get?

In the USA it is well documented as to what many humans earn. Every Federal, State, County, City, Town, Military, School workers salary is documented. Forbes and Time keep us informed of what CEO's and Holywood humans earn. We all know what fast food, baggage handlers, office cleaners earn, close to min. wage. ;p

Thank you...its not Top Secret information....you don't have to ask. Now we are chastising people for asking a question?

In the USA it is well documented as to what many humans earn. Every Federal, State, County, City, Town, Military, School workers salary is documented.

Perhaps, but what about our non-human friends? Dolphins, orangutans....or the occasional Martian, Kzinti or Pierson's Puppeteer visiting from offplanet? Equal rights for ALL sentient beings, I say! :D

Forbes and Time keep us informed of what CEO's and Holywood humans earn.

There are humans in Hollywood? Who knew?
We all know what fast food, baggage handlers, office cleaners earn, close to min. wage. ;p
Actually, no. Your baggage handlers at the pier makes MUCH more than minimum wage. They are members of a longshoremens' union and there's a fair chance they make more than you.

Perhaps, but what about our non-human friends? Dolphins, orangutans....or the occasional Martian, Kzinti or Pierson's Puppeteer visiting from offplanet? Equal rights for ALL sentient beings, I say! :D

Actually, no. Your baggage handlers at the pier makes MUCH more than minimum wage. They are members of a longshoremens' union and there's a fair chance they make more than you.

Go Dawgs !

Ps I know the salary of their coach.

Do you ask how resort fees are used?

Resort fees, yes I do.

And was just in Orlando and the hotel provided a nice card with what you get for your resort fee.

But resort fees are NOT gratuities, they do not go to staff.

Here we go again. I fail to understand how you use the words "shipboard employees" and then insert the link after that. As I read the link it is about the 401(k) account. This would only apply to US residents which are almost 100% non existent for ship's crew.

I will reply to your other more serious views you posted here later.

RCI is a US company, so they can do a 401K for their employees.

The link also talks about a pension plan and a stock purchase option.

Kzinti or Pierson's Puppeteer visiting from offplanet? Equal rights for ALL sentient beings, I say! :D

Hmm, a Larry Niven fan. :)

They only look like humans.

Very true.

RCI is a US company, so they can do a 401K for their employees.

The link also talks about a pension plan and a stock purchase option.

For their shoreside employees - very unlikely for shipboard personnel.

Unless the shipboard employees are US citizens.

And RCI is not a US company. But it can make policies to the advantage of their US based shore employees.