"Live" From the Jewel of the Seas 01-08-06

Radio

Once again, you've entertained us all week! Thanks so much!

You mentioned Mrs. Radio's preferences, but not your childrens'. Which ship do they like best?

Just trying to decide between Mariner and Jewel....

Thanks again!

They love any ship by RCI.......

Radio

;) ;)

My opinions of the Radiance class ship are very positive. I have a biased opinion in that I have cruised Voyager Class Ships 10 times… I felt like a first time cruiser while on board….I was just used to the Voyager Class Ships, and were very used to the layout, and design. The Promenade deck, Concierge Lounge , Chops, Portifino’s, Viking Crown Lounge, Photo Studio and others are all on different decks… however, I loved the fact that I had to explore all the new areas of the Ship.

I think that the Voyager Class ships have much to do more for families. (Thats the appearance I have) All Radiance Class Ships have Chops AND Portifino’s, Only Mariner and Navigator have both on Voyager Class. The Solarium is truly the best of any ship, with the lighting, sound effects, furniture. It is one of a kind ! The Sports Bar is much better on R/C than V/C…With over 30 Plasma screens and lots of seats and a big bar…beats out the Sports Bar (s) on V/C ships. I do miss Studio –B- Ice Skating rink and Ice Show…which hosted wonderful Skaters and exciting entertainment. The Schooner Bar is much bigger on Jewel, and the Safari Club might be one of the best Themed Lounges anywhere.

Anyone who would sail either class…will be satisfied. Both have exciting differences, that are very inviting, warm and friendly. This ship did not really seem smaller than V/C ships. I think that the food was much better…but that seems to improve on almost every cruise. This was the first Class of ship for RCI that was made in Germany, and I think that they did a magnificent job. The ship is truly a cutting edge of design. I think that the “feel” of the ship seems much more nautical. The Captain of the Mariner of the Seas once said to me “When passengers first come aboard they always comment about how beautiful the ship looks….when they leave, they tell be how organized, reliable and friendly everyone was” I think that his statement meant a lot…If the crew is friendly, and warm, that any ship that you choose will turn out to be a great cruise.

The Jewel of the Seas seems to be the "Jewel" of the Fleet..at leat for now.

Oh well…that’s my feeling. I wouldn’t hesitate to cruise this class of ship again, but I think my next cruise might me a little larger vessel……possibly Freedom of the Seas. I’m not booked yet…but we’ll see .

I can see the Lights of Fort Lauderdale...We should be docked by 7AM...I will post many more pics in the next couple of days...

Radio

;) ;)

55371304-c5ed-02000180-.jpg

;)

.........The Jewel of the Seas seems to be the "Jewel" of the Fleet..at leat for now........

Radio

;) ;)

55371304-c5ed-02000180-.jpg

;)

I agree with you wholeheartly. The Jewel is a gem and I´m looking forward to sail her again in September. Have a great trip home and thanks for the great pics and reports.

Radio, thanks for keeping us entertained all week. You have done a magnificent job on all the pics and 'commentary' . I for one, feel as though I have been on that cruise with you.;) I'm even more excited to board the Jewel in April, after 'tuning in ' to 'your show'.

You and your family have a safe journey home, once again, thank you so much.:cool:

Radio....I thoroughly enjoyed travelling along with you!! And, just as if I was on the ship with you, I can't believe the week is gone so fast!!! Thanks so much for sharing! Your pictures are awesome! Now I'm going to go back and look over your past trips.

Diane

Thanks for everything Radio... I enjoyed your posts. A few questions...

-What was the rotating lounge/bar?

-How would you compare the activities compared to the voyager class?

-How was the cruise director and captain?

-What was said by the captain... what did he say about this new class and did he say anythign about the Freedom?

Thanks a lot!

-Matt

Dear Radio,

Thanks alot for the awesome Cruise Reviews in the past, I've enjoyed them all a lot!

The Radiance Class-Ships are great and I'm looking forward to experience the Voyager in May...

You've taken me with you on the Cruise (virtually, of course...) and I've been able to escape the cold weather with you, thanks again for that!

Cheers,

Phil:)

Radio,

Many thanks for bringing us all along with you on your wonderful trip! How generous to take time out of your vacation to include everyone here on shore. :)

Tracy

That was very nice of you to say Tracy....But alot of people don't know that doing "Live" reports on board Cruise Ships is what I love to do ! It is part of the Vacation for me ! I have done "Live " reports on Mariner (5X)...Grandeur (4X) as well as Sovereign, Voyager(2X), Enchantment, Galaxy, and Millenium.(and a few Non RCI)

A search on Cruise Critic should bring them up....

Thanks to all for the nice comments.....

Radio

;) ;)

Hello everyone.....I made it off of the Ship, and to the AutoTrain Station in one piece. Wow...the debarkation proccess is Slow in Fort Lauderdale (at least for today).....

I opted for the Express Debarkation, where you can carry your own luggage off of the Ship and be the first off. You are given Express Debark Passes...either A, B, or C......Then the normal Colors are called out.

On the Mariner of the Seas....the line forms from the Gangway on Deck 5, down the promenade, and length of the ship. Very Nice...very easy...no butting in line etc...It is very controlled.

On the Jewel today...everyone was held in a mass huddle on the inside of the ship at the door that goes out to the Promenade Deck (In front of the elevators) It was Chaos ! I was the first in line at 6:30AM.....The made the first call for Express at 9:10AM.....I was in my through immigration...in my car...and paid for the parking at 9:30AM......

I feel very sorry for those who had 9:15 Flights...Alot of people missed theirs... (thanks for letting be vent)

Anyway...I arrived at the AutoTrain Station at 2PM (Over 4 hours with stops...) I know...I know, I should have flown into FLL, but thats the price I paid for being stubborn. I loved the Jewel, but dislike the Fort Lauderdale Terminals... I really prefer the Port of Miami, or Port Canaveral.,,,but my favorite is the Port of Baltimore (Just a short drive from my house)

Radio

;) ;)

Thanks for everything Radio... I enjoyed your posts. A few questions...

-What was the rotating lounge/bar?

-How would you compare the activities compared to the voyager class?

-How was the cruise director and captain?

-What was said by the captain... what did he say about this new class and did he say anythign about the Freedom?

Thanks a lot!

-Matt

The rotating Bar was up in the Vortex Disco (Viking Crown Lounge), on deck 13. I thing that the Activities were comparable...they seem to be the same on all classes of ships.

The CD was very good...Simeon Baker was the CD on my previos cruise on Mariner last January...The Captain was very freindly...but Matter of Fact guy...He seems that he keeps a tight rope on the crew...maybe more stern that others....but very freindly to all passengers.

There was no mention of Freedom of the Seas, except to say that they were looking forward to accepting passengers in June ! The new class(250 K Tons) of ship was not given any comments, except to say that there were plans to build one. He did say however, that he could not be asked questions about the new class, because it is only a rumor at this time (rumor...hmmm Why did he bring it up ? ? ? ;) )

Thanks for the nice comments !

Radio

;)

Mark, I've read every word and have enjoyed this thread so much! We hope to do a "live from the Baltics" when we go in July so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am so looking forward to our sail on the Jewel. If she's anything like the Brilliance and the Radiance then you're looking at a happy cruiser.:D

Thanks!

Garry

Radio, once again you have let all of us cruise right along with you. Your pictures and commentary are exceptional. I was especially interested in this cruise of yours,as I will be on the Brilliance April 17th.Hump cabin,to the Panama Canal. She will be my 1st Vision class ship. Your "live report" has made me doubly excited about sailing the Brilliance. Thanks so much.

The lack of the Royal Promenade and the Ice Skating Rink are, IMHO, more than made up for by the gorgeous Solarium with its retractable roof and the Jewel's great crepes, the Seaview Cafe, the outdoor section of the Windjammer Cafe, the ocean views from the concierge lounge, the Safari Club and the Sports Bar and nearby Cinema.

crepes? Yum! Where? And don't forget the billiards tables!

Radio- that was thoroughly enjoyable to read! Thank you for sharing your vacation with us online. We're currently booked for the Jewel in August and can't wait to get back to those unbelievable billiards tables. (We heard they were $90k each!)

Sim Baker is one of our favorites - we had him as an ACD on the Radiance 2 years back. Did he mention if he was staying on the JOS?

Archived