Eating wisely In the MDR

muffin

Sorry to jump in, since we're discussing about ordering in the MDR, I have a question in mind related to this.

Do i look bad if I order more than 1 appetizer/entree/dessert at once?

The reason i asked was because last cruise on the elegant night, I asked for two lobsters 'cause I heard some people on here did the same, our waiter got a chuckle out of it when he heard me, which made me felt embarrassing. Every time after eating in the MDR, we always heading up to the buffet 'cause we're still hungry, 3 small courses were not enough to fill up our bellies:')

Sorry to jump in, since we're discussing about ordering in the MDR, I have a question in mind related to this.

Do i look bad if I order more than 1 appetizer/entree/dessert at once?

The reason i asked was because last cruise on the elegant night, I asked for two lobsters 'cause I heard some people on here did the same, our waiter got a chuckle out of it when he heard me, which made me felt embarrassing. Every time after eating in the MDR, we always heading up to the buffet 'cause we're still hungry, 3 small courses were not enough to fill up our bellies:hearteyes:

Don’t worry about it. Some nights I only order appetizers, other nights I’ll order two mains as appetizer and entree. On the shorter cruises I’ll order salad and then two scallop appetizers for my main.

Last cruise we shared a table with another couple who ordered about 5 appetizers, 5 entrees and 5 desserts for them to share.

I think you can order as many dishes as you like. Our MDR waiter always asks if we want two lobsters on elegant night.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nice. I wish to have a cool waiter like that on my cruise:D

Thanks for the reply.

Don’t worry about it. Some nights I only order appetizers, other nights I’ll order two mains as appetizer and entree. On the shorter cruises I’ll order salad and then two scallop appetizers for my main.

Last cruise we shared a table with another couple who ordered about 5 appetizers, 5 entrees and 5 desserts for them to share.

Now I feel more comfortable to order as much as I want when on board:cool: Thank you!

Congrats on your weight losses and attitudes.

When we first started cruising in 2000, it was all about the food and alcohol. 17 years, 26 cruises, and 60+ lbs. down later, cruising is now about relaxing, enjoying time with my husband and friends, visiting exciting places, and escaping freezing cold New England for a week. I still love the food, and realize that maintaining this weight loss is a way of life. Lemon squeezed on fish (like summershigh DH, I don't care for sauces on foods because I like the flavor of food itself.), small amounts of real salad dressing (no fat free nor light with tons of artificial ingredients) on salad, and berries and cream for dessert make me very happy now.

Every night there is a menu page called, "every day" with a section labeled, "mains." There is always a fish, grilled flat steak, and grilled chicken breast, all served with steamed veggies. I have ordered the fish many nights. It's always been delicious, especially the salmon. I've even asked for a double serving of salad, happily served even if not a menu item, to go under the fish.

I've never ordered regular items without the sauces so I can't help there.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the kudos! Yes, my weight loss is a result of changing my lifestyle. I’m no longer seduced by food . And the less carbs one eats, the less carbs “call to you”. And I don’t feel like I am depriving myself. I plan on ordering appetizers or app sized mains. And of course dessert...but I will probably eat just a few bites or share something with my husband who is also on the same journey.

Fully planning to enjoy our Panama trip, but don’t want to pay tooooo high a price in weight gain. Wondering about ideas for menu selecting. Will up the activity, but mainly want ideas on food. I remember awhile ago you could order a side dish of steamed veggies to the table to eat instead of the sauced ones often served. Can you still do this!? How about asking for no extra sauces, and can you get a big green salad even if it is not on the menu instead of the offered appies and soups etc. Don’t want to burden our waitstaff, it do ant to eat as carefully as I can. Know it would be better in Lido, but like the MDR ambiance for dinner. Thanks to any who help me out.

Go to the buffet and pick what you want.

I had gastric bypass back in 2006 and cruised at 9 months out. I found that the mdr was excellent for someone wanting to eat small portions. I would get an appetizer as an entree, or share an entree with someone else. Also if all else fails, I could get a salad or a grilled chicken breast it salmon with veggies and no sauces. Even all these years later, I can only eat small portions and the courses being delivered in the order they do, make it easy for my food to digest while waiting for the next course. Another thing is your waiter can be made aware of your dietary needs and will accommodate you by bringing the cover for your plate to take back. I was sometimes able to finish my meal after about 30 minutes. It does take time for me to eat my meal so I find that the timing in the dining room allows me that needed time to enjoy it. You can enjoy the same benefits by eating on lido and choosing your cuts of meat. Carved meats and cheeses are available both on lido and in dining room. Salads and veggies are available and are good choices too.

Thanks for the kudos! Yes, my weight loss is a result of changing my lifestyle. I’m no longer seduced by food . And the less carbs one eats, the less carbs “call to you”. And I don’t feel like I am depriving myself. I plan on ordering appetizers or app sized mains. And of course dessert...but I will probably eat just a few bites or share something with my husband who is also on the same journey.

I contact Special Needs and request John Heald's Berries and Cream for dessert every night. They are so delicious, just the right size serving, and just sweet enough to satisfy my carving.

Keep the tropical fruit plate in mind as a dessert. It's very refreshing! Also, you can try desserts from the kids menu. Several times we just ordered the "assorted cookies" for dessert which was enough to be satisfying but not as heavy as, say, chocolate melting cake. :)

Thank you @stargate fan & @Doggielover68 ! I will give your suggestions a try! @Quilcruise : I also eat in very small quantities, so planned to order my main in appetizer size. If I'm not careful, I can get full after just a few bites so typically only order from the appetizers in restaurants. My husband just laughs and says he's saving money ;). If I do order a full size entree, I take the leftovers home and it takes a few days to finish them!

The "Three Bite" rule served me well last cruise and on many occasions. If you really want that high-carb item, rich dessert, etc. have it, but eat three bites. Eat slowly and really savor each bite. I find my craving is usually satisfied after three mindful bites.

I lost nearly 100 pounds about 5 years ago and have kept it off. I have a very active job and do not eat dairy or grains. I also do not drink. EXCEPT ON VACATION! I eat what I want and drink what I want and enjoy bread, cheese, pizza and martinis while cruising. I have gained as much as 9 pounds on a week long cruise. I practice intermittent fasting daily, not eating between 9pm and 2pm. This last cruise I decided not to have breakfast ANY day, basically following my normal intermittent fast. Gained 4 pounds which I shook off in 2 days after returning to normal. I find vacation time important times to indulge, they keep me on track the other times of the year.

The "Three Bite" rule served me well last cruise and on many occasions. If you really want that high-carb item, rich dessert, etc. have it, but eat three bites. Eat slowly and really savor each bite. I find my craving is usually satisfied after three mindful bites.

I do this as well![emoji16]

We eat 3 full meals a day on a cruise including late fixed seating at dinner.

Because of that we're rarely, if ever, hungry between meals so we don't eat the high carb kind of junk food that would be available. Not being righteous about that - just physically not hungry.

We normally drink wine or scotch and water so we don't get "sweet carbs" from alot of umbrella drinks.

Never have gained weight on a boat that didn't go away in a couple of days - and I wonder how much of that is from salt in the foods.

Fully planning to enjoy our Panama trip, but don’t want to pay tooooo high a price in weight gain. Wondering about ideas for menu selecting. Will up the activity, but mainly want ideas on food. I remember awhile ago you could order a side dish of steamed veggies to the table to eat instead of the sauced ones often served. Can you still do this!? How about asking for no extra sauces, and can you get a big green salad even if it is not on the menu instead of the offered appies and soups etc. Don’t want to burden our waitstaff, it do ant to eat as carefully as I can. Know it would be better in Lido, but like the MDR ambiance for dinner. Thanks to any who help me out.

I am with you do not want to gain my weight back here are a few suggestion

80 mango and berries 120 shrimp cocktail 140 chicken no polenta 185 cherrios with milk 200 hamburger no bun no ff 250 bruchetti 250 mixed green salad 250 fish without bun or ff 265 buttred toast, peanut butter 265 1/2 bagel, butter and cream cheese 265 boiled egg, toast with butter 300 new york no ff 300 flounder 300 salads 300 sandwich, burgers and dogs 365 asparagus 10 spear s/prosciutto no bread or french fries

bring my own peanut butter from home