Princess (New) Ships Aren't "Game Changers", Why?

need2cruisesoon

Doesn't anyone else who has cruised for a while find that the new generation of mass market cruise ships--like Royal and Regal, both of which I have sailed on, are just too crowded? I've started doing more land based vacations because of this.

We were on the Regal in Jan 2017 for 2 weeks and we never felt like the ship was too crowded. At certain times and in certain locations, yes (the Princess theatre before a performance) but in general, it never felt crowded. It has been our opinion that the design of the newer ships has made for a less crowded feel, particularly in the Horizon Court were we felt the layout was the best of any ship we have been on.

The whole premise of this is that Princess should conform to what others are doing to be "edgy" or "game changing." Seems actually counter-intuitive to copy what others are doing to be game changing. The bottom line is, there is a variety from many different cruise lines - pick what you like and go on that cruise line. Bellyaching about a particular cruise line not being as good as another one is silly. If you like the other cruise line better, sail on it. Lots of us prefer Princess for what it is - a more traditional cruise experience that doesn't feel like a theme park.

The whole premise of this is that Princess should conform to what others are doing to be "edgy" or "game changing." Seems actually counter-intuitive to copy what others are doing to be game changing. The bottom line is, there is a variety from many different cruise lines - pick what you like and go on that cruise line. Bellyaching about a particular cruise line not being as good as another one is silly. If you like the other cruise line better, sail on it. Lots of us prefer Princess for what it is - a more traditional cruise experience that doesn't feel like a theme park.

Bingo!

Princess doesn't seem to need edgy, and as dckmusic said, plenty of choices out there, Princess doesn't to copy those choices. I could see if they had trouble filling their ships, maybe, but they don't. It is a matter of what the company finds is working, what their passengers seem to like. I've been cruising since 1982, mostly onboard for 3 to 4 week cruises and I certainly don't need edgy or some of the things other cruise lines have on their ships.

Princess doesn't seem to need edgy, and as dckmusic said, plenty of choices out there, Princess doesn't to copy those choices. I could see if they had trouble filling their ships, maybe, but they don't. It is a matter of what the company finds is working, what their passengers seem to like. I've been cruising since 1982, mostly onboard for 3 to 4 week cruises and I certainly don't need edgy or some of the things other cruise lines have on their ships.

Judging by the daily e:mails we get with last minute discount pricing they are having difficulty. No one is asking for go-cart tracks and rock climbing walls just stop being so vanilla and show a little vision. Even the itineraries are getting boring. They used to be known for them, now they're blah with only the occasional stand out.

Judging by the daily e:mails we get with last minute discount pricing they are having difficulty. No one is asking for go-cart tracks and rock climbing walls just stop being so vanilla and show a little vision. Even the itineraries are getting boring. They used to be known for them, now they're blah with only the occasional stand out.

Going to Alaska again this summer and no didn't even look at Princess why because Bliss with some 20 restaurants and 20 bars with an observation lounge to boot sounds more intriguing....

Going to Alaska again this summer and no didn't even look at Princess why because Bliss with some 20 restaurants and 20 bars with an observation lounge to boot sounds more intriguing....

Good for you. If that is what you are wanting, go for it. I would never consider cruising on NCL but that is my choice. I find the ships with Princess are just fine and meet what we want when we cruise. Don't need bling or gazillion restaurants or bars to be happy. If I want a theme park atmosphere, will go to a theme park. When I cruise, I want good service and relaxation. To each his own.

My first 4 cruises were with NCL, way back when, then I found Princess and Royal Caribbean. I went back to NCL once in the 90s, didn't like it. Traveling alone, I want set dining, their dining plan wouldn't work for me. I have a glass or 2 of wine every day, maybe a margarita, don't need 20 bars, not at all.

I'm 57yrs old and have been listing to my 85yr old parents music on cruise ships for years. When do I get my turn?

You don't. As someone pointed out earlier, music peaked with Puff the Magic Dragon and it's all been downhill ever since so no need for this new-fangled music the hippies are listening to these days. :D

The whole premise of this is that Princess should conform to what others are doing to be "edgy" or "game changing."

From my viewpoint Princess has taken a cruise experience that was unique and is trying to make it generic to what others are doing.

Examples:

a) Princess was unique in allowing you to book shore excursions before a cruise and pay for them at the end of the cruise. Others made you pay when booking. Princess decided to join them.

b) Princess had an essentially classless experience no matter what type or price cabin you booked. Other cruise lines had special dining rooms exclusively for higher paying passengers. Princess introduced club class.

Even the itineraries are getting boring. They used to be known for them, now they're blah with only the occasional stand out.

One reason is the elimination of all but one ship that carried less than 1500 passengers.

The smaller ships could go to ports that the larger ships cannot (up the Amazon river, for example).

And sending some of the larger ships to some ports can overwhelm the facilities and tour vendors available (Falkland Islands and Tahiti for example).

From what I can see the Celebrity Edge seems to be adding more pay for venues and areas that only suite guests have access to. I hope Princess doesn't go in this direction. Those of us who have been complaining about the smaller balconies on the Royal Class ships should be thankful that they don't have the infinite veranda which is basically a big window that opens with no balcony.

Not quite. The "infinite veranda" has a real balcony. The "big window" is actually in two parts and the top part is lowered at the touch of a button so it functions as a traditional balcony.

When the top part is up, the balcony space becomes part of the cabin space itself so you can utilize that space at times you do not want to be "out" on the balcony such as in inclement weather.

see the video at

Not quite. The "infinite veranda" has a real balcony. The "big window" is actually in two parts and the top part is lowered at the touch of a button so it functions as a traditional balcony.

When the top part is up, the balcony space becomes part of the cabin space itself so you can utilize that space at times you do not want to be "out" on the balcony such as in inclement weather.

see the video at

Several European river cruise ships have the same or similar "infinite" veranda.

Exactly. I don't want to go on a cruise and be surrounded by kids or feel like I'm at a theme park.

see the video at

That's the video that I was referring to. To me it's not the same as a balcony. At best it's a sunroom that can be partitioned off from the rest of the room. I'm short so I would probably be looking through the lower glass which will probably be covered with salt. I would rather have the small balcony on the Royal class ships or an ocean view on the Grand class ships.

From my viewpoint Princess has taken a cruise experience that was unique and is trying to make it generic to what others are doing.

Examples:

a) Princess was unique in allowing you to book shore excursions before a cruise and pay for them at the end of the cruise. Others made you pay when booking. Princess decided to join them.

b) Princess had an essentially classless experience no matter what type or price cabin you booked. Other cruise lines had special dining rooms exclusively for higher paying passengers. Princess introduced club class.

Other lines offered a drink package and now Princess has a drink package and have set limits to how many cocktails you can have.

Like on other lines they created the Piazza which has become a source of entertainment.

Like on other lines they created more pay for eating venues by eliminating included in the price venues.

You don't. As someone pointed out earlier, music peaked with Puff the Magic Dragon and it's all been downhill ever since so no need for this new-fangled music the hippies are listening to these days. :D

Instead of those lame 70's nights maybe they could have a Woodstock theme night. That would certainly be on the edge. The Glenn Miller groupies would probably pop A string of pearls.

Do wish they would put USB ports in the new ships...several.....and redo the old ones so we can plug in and charge....One more thing to carry...:( and almost eveyone uses USB's these days...old or young.

You should be afforded Premium Status on every cruise line ...... regardless of how you spell * wink*

A 'game changer' for Princess would be replacing some of the pool loungers with pool chairs/recliners that make it easier for their aging demographic they cater to , to get in and out of easier...;)

Fully agree, my DW has mobility issues that means getting into the loungers provides her with a severe challenge.

Getting out - well lets just say it most un-lady like.

Also the 'luxury' loungers in The Sanctuary are no different.

Do wish they would put USB ports in the new ships...several.....and redo the old ones so we can plug in and charge....One more thing to carry...:( and almost eveyone uses USB's these days...old or young.

Actually the Majestic does have USB ports in the lamps. I think they are gradually bringing this feature to the older ships.

With an aging demographic I’m surprised they aren’t doing more to make pretty much all cabins more wheelchair friendly, either wider doors or a corale (probably near the elevators) to park and charge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums