need2cruisesoon

Princess (New) Ships Aren't "Game Changers", Why?

I've gotta give MSC (Seaside), X (Edge) and NCL (Bliss) credit for introducing new ships with Game Changing design and unique layouts.

I'm wondering why Princess and also HAL remain stale with new ship design innovations?

What game changing and unique layout? I really like the Regal and Royal, wasn't sure if I'd like the bigger ships but they suit me just fine. In your opinion they remain stale, for what reasons?

[quote name='need2cruisesoon']I've gotta give MSC (Seaside), X (Edge) and NCL (Bliss) credit for introducing new ships with Game Changing design and unique layouts.

I'm wondering why Princess and also HAL remain stale with new ship design innovations?[/quote]

I am very excited about the Sky and look forward to my first voyage on her. I also find comfort in the Grand class ships and how I feel at home on them. At this point I think Princess is doing a great job in (slowly) updating their ships but keeping the same "feel". I go on a Princess Cruise because of the ability to relax. There is always plenty to do, but to me a larger, more crowded ship with zip lines, wave pools, carousels and the like just does not attract me. I am happy there are lines that have those things so people can choose, but I am also very glad that Princess is staying the course for the most part.

They destroyed the promenade and shrunk the balconies. That was a game changer for me.

That's why you have choices. You don't need to sail with Princess. Enjoy the other, game changer, ships! I believe Princess stays within the same format because it is what its customer base want. I have seen a couple of surveys about that.

Princess (and HAL) believe in incremental changes. They deliberately strive for a familiar look and feel so passengers are comfortable boarding any Princess (or HAL) ship.

Not sure what kind of “game changing” updates or differences you feel are necessary.

What I would like to see as "game changing" is that Princess get into the 21st century with modern internet. Yeah, I know they are "working on it". I just hope by the time it gets rolled out, they aren't behind in technology again. OM is very ambitious and if they can deliver on the original promise then it is pretty "game changing" for Princess.

The other thing I would like them to go against the grain on is maintain the quality and ask us to pay reasonable cost increases. I don't want to pay the same price now as five years ago or five years from now and give up quality of food, drink and entertainment in the process.

How bout a South Beach Pool and rear elevators

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180111/9b8c09c698f86380d1046e11b51ec742.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPad using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums[/url]

Princess is going through an identity crisis -- Moving away from 'Premium' cruise-line status towards 'mainstream' cruise-line status.

They are taking a reactive approach to modernization rather than a proactive strategy. AKA - They are trying to follow the herd, instead of leading from the front. Concepts like club-class(w/ no real value), skywalks, glowing fountains = smoke & mirrors.

Princess is desperately trying to replenish its aging loyal customer base w/ the next generation of cruisers, but they have fuddy duddys at the helm that are failing to figure out what is 'cool' & 'hip'. Princess would like to bill itself as Nordstrom,Macy's or Kohls, w/out the understanding that Amazon is crushing them all.

The game changer I’d like to see is the return of s9me small ships, but I know that’s not likely.

[quote name='need2cruisesoon']How bout a South Beach Pool and rear elevators

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180111/9b8c09c698f86380d1046e11b51ec742.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPad using [URL="http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452"]Forums[/URL][/quote]

Granted that ship is game changing in it’s outside design, but after seeing it in person the inside isn’t game changing.
I was on the Regal in December for a cruise and overnight on the Seaside on 12/21 for the naming ceremony plus watch that ship leave every week. There are some great things but there are also some design flaws on that ship just like there was on the Regal.

Not as impressed as I thought I would be with the ship. Hated that you couldn’t get from the back of the ship where there were some bars to the specialty dining restaurant without going down a level. Also the very low ceilings. At 5 ft 7 I didn’t expect to always be able to touch the ceiling!

[quote name='Loreni']They destroyed the promenade and shrunk the balconies. That was a game changer for me.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that.

With regards to the Promenade deck, take into consideration the SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) rules implemented after the Costa Concordia disaster. Princess, and other lines, must follow the SOLAS rules and regulations. Can’t blame Princess which it appears people are doing.

Although I love the Regal and the Royal, I do think the ship besides the atrium a bit bla nothing to talk about. The none promenade deck was a major flaw and they should of upgraded the bars. I do find the food to be very good and the Normand Love dessert à plus. As to answering the OP Princess might not have game changer ships for now but as what I have read MSC Seaside is nothing to talk about except maybe being beautiful . X Edge and NCL Bliss can we wait until they sail before saying they are game changers.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

[quote name='GUT2407']The game changer I’d like to see is the return of s9me small ships, but I know that’s not likely.[/quote]

I agree. Going on the Sea Princess in a week and the Sun in May. Sad to see my favourite, the Dawn Princess, go to P&O.
One I really loved was the old Starship Gemini that I sailed on in 1998. What a beauty that 'small' (in the cruising world today) ship was.

When the Royal came out, I thought we'd never want to sail on it. But we did last month and had a great time. I did miss walking around an outside Promenade Deck. The little patios they have on the Promenade Deck at least gave me a closer look at the sea. The really big downside, though, is that they don't offer the shade that the walkable Promenade Decks on other ships do.

Our balcony was narrow. Nevertheless we still had enough room for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. We had the Rhodes Suite, so the extra room in the cabin made up for the narrower balcony.

We're sailing on the Regal next month in a regular balcony cabin. We toured the Regal a little over a year ago on a Bon Voyage Experience. The thing I noticed about the Royal was how familiar it became within a few days. I remember thinking that the Regal felt so much larger than the other ships we had sailed on.

This is why there are many cruise lines, many ships to choose. Everyone has different ideas as to what they want in a cruise ship, cruise lines to adjust to their clientele. Drastic or game changing for Princess, don't see it and why would they? Their formula seems to be working and the Royal class ships are very popular.

Rear elevators are a game changer and important? I'm rarely in an elevator, don't like them, not a changer for me. I prefer some exercise using the stairs.

My wife and I prefer a cruise ship that feels like a ship, and not the Mall of America. We’ve tried nearly every major line (except Carnival), but have found that Princess strikes a good balance between classic-style ship travel and modern amenities. I’ll pass on the zip lines and floating bars; the ocean is the attraction for me.

Amen, leaving on Regal (again) in two weeks! Love the elegance of this one and Royal. Don’t need, or want zip lines or Ice skating or a shopping mall experience. We experienced Quantum of the Sea for a month a couple of years ago during a repositioning cruise and enjoyed the artwork more than the bumper cars and wall climbing, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[quote name='Loreni']They destroyed the promenade and shrunk the balconies. That was a game changer for me.[/quote]
I agree that was annoying but not having outside cabins was more so.
I'm either forced to go to an expensive balcony or the dreaded inside closet like cabins. :(
On longer cruises it makes a big difference in the total cost.

[quote name='Pam in CA']With regards to the Promenade deck, take into consideration the SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) rules implemented after the Costa Concordia disaster. Princess, and other lines, must follow the SOLAS rules and regulations. Can’t blame Princess which it appears people are doing.[/quote]

I am not aware of any SOLAS changes, with regard to lifeboat embarkation deck or promenade deck design, that came about because of the Concordia. The changes that I know have been implemented, and those that are being considered nearly all have to do with equipment segregation, navigation, and stability.

What changes are you referring to?

If anything, I would have expected the IMO to make promenade decks [B]larger[/B] to go back to outside musters under the boats.

[quote name='chengkp75']I am not aware of any SOLAS changes, with regard to lifeboat embarkation deck or promenade deck design, that came about because of the Concordia. The changes that I know have been implemented, and those that are being considered nearly all have to do with equipment segregation, navigation, and stability.

If anything, I would have expected the IMO to make promenade decks [B]larger[/B] to go back to outside musters under the boats.[/quote]

Plus - there are other ships since then that are built with Promenade decks since then. She posts this several times and people have questioned her but I have never understood what she means either.

I am also curious.

[quote name='timtrek']I am very excited about the Sky and look forward to my first voyage on her. I also find comfort in the Grand class ships and how I feel at home on them. At this point I think Princess is doing a great job in (slowly) updating their ships but keeping the same "feel". I go on a Princess Cruise because of the ability to relax. There is always plenty to do, but to me a larger, more crowded ship with zip lines, wave pools, carousels and the like just does not attract me. I am happy there are lines that have those things so people can choose, but I am also very glad that Princess is staying the course for the most part.[/quote]
I agree 100 percent. In not into zip lines, wave surfing, ice skating and the like. I cruise to relax and get away from high intense activities.
Thanks Princess.

[quote=Micah's Grandad;54959221]We really like the Royal class what do you object too?

Especially on deck 16 where you can watch the ocean go by under your feet.[/quote]

How about ridiculous balconies, useless pools, useless water show, Princess live!. Princess new ships aren't even IN the game.

[quote name='louden']How about ridiculous balconies, useless pools, useless water show, Princess live!. Princess new ships aren't even IN the game.[/quote]

We like Princess live for certain things but way to often it gets filled and SRO. Wish they would use the rear lounge for popular activities.

[quote name='need2cruisesoon']How bout a South Beach Pool and rear elevators

Now if I wanted this look I would just stay at a hotel. I personally don't like it, but as others say, each their own.

[quote name='chengkp75']I am not aware of any SOLAS changes, with regard to lifeboat embarkation deck or promenade deck design, that came about because of the Concordia. The changes that I know have been implemented, and those that are being considered nearly all have to do with equipment segregation, navigation, and stability.

If anything, I would have expected the IMO to make promenade decks [B]larger[/B] to go back to outside musters under the boats.[/quote]
I believe it has something to do with fast access to the lifeboats/tenders. Viking's new ships have a full wrap around promenade. Viking chose to put the boats in space directly above the promenade instead of cabins. For Princess to do this, they would have had to take cabin space away from the Emerald Deck. Not likely the Princess bean counters would have put up with that.

[quote name='mreasier']I believe it has something to do with fast access to the lifeboats/tenders. Viking's new ships have a full wrap around promenade. Viking chose to put the boats in space directly above the promenade instead of cabins. For Princess to do this, they would have had to take cabin space away from the Emerald Deck. Not likely the Princess bean counters would have put up with that.[/quote]

I seem to remember that she has stated this was told to her by an officer. However, there is no requirement for this, certainly not since the Concordia, and I've debated this with her in the past. What has happened is that cruise lines learned that the old movable gravity davit, where the boat was stored above the promenade deck, and completely inboard, and then the whole davit would slide down rails to move the boat outboard of the ship's side and down to the promenade deck took up too much space from creating cabins, and in particular balcony cabins. So, they went to the "fixed" davit, or "sliding" davit, where the boat hangs at least partially outboard of the ship's side and the davit only extends outwards, not down and out, to get the boat clear of the ship's side. This saves space above the boats for pushing more cabins outboard, and allowing these to be "obstructed balcony" cabins, increasing revenue. Were these davits created because of the Concordia, nope. They have been used on offshore oil platforms for 40 years, it is just that the cruise lines want to increase interior (revenue generating space) at the expense of outside (non-revenue) spaces. If anything that the Concordia showed, it would be that the boats should be stowed [B]higher, [/B]rather than lower.

I believe that Viking uses a modified version of the old gravity davit for one reason, their small ships would not store the boat high enough to meet the SOLAS minimum height requirement if they used the sliding davit.

[quote name='Cruise Junky']Got to agree with the OP, just can't get excited about Princess anymore. Too Vanilla.[/quote]

While I could care less about ice skating, zip lining, roller coasters, bowling alleys, etc.... - I do get tired that Princess takes the same design and makes a ton of them. Some of the other lines will make a few the same design and then switch designs.

Look how many Grand Class, Crown Class (similar to Grand Class) and Royal Class there are.... There is no innovation it is just more cookie cutter.

I consider the Royal class ships' Horizon Court/Horizon Bistro to be a very good improvement over the Horizon Court on older ships. I consider Share and Gastro Pub to be very bad changes to the ships that have them.
I consider Planks to be a very good change to the Caribbean Princess.

These things are a matter of taste or preference and therefore will not appeal to everyone.

One very important thing to keep in mind is that it is less expensive to order multiples of a single design from a shipyard than it is to make every ship built a different design.

A cruise line could build a ship that would take into consideration every opinion expressed here on Cruise Critic and have a vessel that would please nearly everyone.----- A Princess theater and every lounge with a recliner seat for every passenger. A promenade deck all around the ship that is wide enough for separate lanes for walkers, runners, standers, photographers, and padded teak lounge chairs. 12 elevators forward, aft, and amidships. Multiple dining venues each serving a different regional menu and with no waiting to be seated.
The problem with that would be no one could afford to book a cruise on it. Compromises must be made. That is why cruise lines need to have a variety of designs and to appeal to different demographics .
It is good to have choices.

[quote name='nukesubsailor']

One very important thing to keep in mind is that it is less expensive to order multiples of a single design from a shipyard than it is to make every ship built a different design.
.[/quote]

While I agree, most lines change things up more than Princess does. Princess didn't deviate from the Grand/Crown class for a long time when other lines would duplicate ships but not as much as Princess does. I doubt we will see a new design outside of the Royal class for a long time.

I have no doubt Princess did this to cut costs.

[quote name='need2cruisesoon']I've gotta give MSC (Seaside), X (Edge) and NCL (Bliss) credit for introducing new ships with Game Changing design and unique layouts.

I'm wondering why Princess and also HAL remain stale with new ship design innovations?[/quote]

Well, looked at Bliss, the only game changers I see are a go-kart track and laser tag.

MSC Seaside; anyone could name their pool "South Beach", and there are only [B]two[/B] accessible balcony cabins, and these are "deluxe suites", so for accessibility you go from inside, to ocean view, to deluxe suite.

Edge seems to be the only one that has real innovation, and I'll be real interested to see how lots of that stuff works after a few years, or draws customers after their first time. I'm going to predict that the "magic carpet" will come in for some serious complaints as its use gets limited by weather.

[quote name='louden']How about ridiculous balconies, useless pools, useless water show, Princess live!. Princess new ships aren't even IN the game.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely love Princess Live and choose the Royal/Regal over other ships purely for that venue and the entertainment it offers. I often find the shows in the theatre and entertainment in the bars a little old-fashioned and stuffy and not my style at all and I much prefer Princess Live, as does my friend who often cruises with me. For me, it’s a very positive game-changer!

Sent from my iPhone using [url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=76452]Forums[/url]

Itinerary has always been my motivation for a cruise selection only unless it is one for family fun then I will almost always pick RCI ..........Ship and food has never mattered to me....With major cruise lines I've gone on the 90+ Xpedtition up the the 6,000+ Oasis Class.
We have always liked the itineraries with Princess, so could care less what ship we were on.... It's my transportation..but then I am old school with my first cruise being my Honeymoon in '83.....we've certainly seen a lot of changes since that time for sure....

BTW..I love all the bells and whistles....and Giant ships..just wish they had better itineraries. Edited by land lover

[quote name='mreasier']I believe it has something to do with fast access to the lifeboats/tenders. Viking's new ships have a full wrap around promenade. Viking chose to put the boats in space directly above the promenade instead of cabins. For Princess to do this, they would have had to take cabin space away from the Emerald Deck. Not likely the Princess bean counters would have put up with that.[/quote]

Totally unrelated to your post ....but when you said Viking it made me think their ships no casinos...that is a game changer for me, I've gone on their River cruises but why would I go on a Larger Cruise ship with out a casino.....just MHO....

[quote name='land lover']Totally unrelated to your post ....but when you said Viking it made me think their ships no casinos...that is a game changer for me, I've gone on their River cruises but why would I go on a Larger Cruise ship with out a casino.....just MHO....[/quote]

Azamara is making changes to their casino too. I think taking out the tables and just leaving a few slots. All about real estate.