Half Moon Cay

ronmaca

Our first stop on our Panama Canal Transit in March is Half Moon Cay. I see there are many excursions but can we just go to the beach and sit for awhile? I am assuming it is a tender trip from the ship. Are there chairs or umbrellas available or do they have to be rented? Restrooms available? Any information you have would be welcomed. Thank you. Has anyone been happy staying on the ship instead of going ashore?

HMC is the Gem of the Bahamas for HAL. Plenty to do but plenty of beach and chairs some with Cabanas you can rent. The tenders are actually large ferry boat types that come out to the ship from the island. They carry 100-200 passengers. The island has three bar areas and plenty of restrooms. There is a BBQ cookout during your visit. You’ll have a great time! fd588f13704db60b26663b6b32b3f76a.jpg512324f99575c1ac650aaed22e781d4a.jpgdda4f6ce620b5a391d31c1e2affda5cb.jpgeb4a0ddc770ef3e2612bcaa6431f70d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may come and go as much as you like. It's a pure and simple beach day. You don't have to spend a penny there, but there are plenty of opportunities to separate your from more of you money! Consider this a "sea day" but on land! The island is an extension of the ship.

If you were given the Signature Beverage Card -- you can not use it on the island.

The Lobster Shack you see in one picture above -- not free.

The BBQ is free.

There are lots of loungers along the beach area.

You do not have to book a tour.

Many times lately we have been there with another ship -- gets crowded on the beach and at the BBQ. We choose to stay on the ship when there are 2 ships there.

Imagine immersing your feet into powdered sugar . . . that's what the beach is like. Pure Heaven! To a northerner, it sounds like walking on snow on a cold winter's day - without the heavy parka, scarf, boots and mittens. Enjoy it; you can spend the entire time there without having to invest a dime, as there are lots of lounge chairs and trees to provide shade.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

See my responses in blue below. Enjoy your cruise, including the stop at Half Moon Cay!

Our first stop on our Panama Canal Transit in March is Half Moon Cay. I see there are many excursions but can we just go to the beach and sit for awhile? Yes, although there are a few very interesting shore excursions as well, especially for first- or second-time visitors. I am assuming it is a tender trip from the ship. Yes, and they run continuously, so there's generally no long waits to go or return. Are there chairs or umbrellas available or do they have to be rented? A few chairs are available on a first-come, first-served basis but more are available for rent. Restrooms available? Yes there are several spread around the island. Any information you have would be welcomed. Thank you. Has anyone been happy staying on the ship instead of going ashore? Lots of folks stay on the ship, and I assume they are happy doing so ... because I am most pleased to have less congestion on HMC. For us the stop at HMC is one of the highlights of our annual Caribbean cruise, so we look forward to experiencing it again and again and again and again and again ...

See my responses in blue below. Enjoy your cruise, including the stop at Half Moon Cay!

My only comment to your response is MANY Beach chairs are available at no cost to beach goers, the back row are rented with the Cabanas. Probably 2/3 of the chairs are first come first served.

My only comment to your response is MANY Beach chairs are available at no cost to beach goers, the back row are rented with the Cabanas. Probably 2/3 of the chairs are first come first served.

Thanks for the correction - just goes to prove (again) that my memory is not infallible. BTW I love the pictures you posted - looking forward to being on HMC in a couple of weeks!

The back row is available to rent with a clamshell, not a cabana.

We've been fortunate to have two visits to Half Moon Cay and I can say without a doubt it is the most beautiful beach I've been to.

We had what some would be considered a 'short' stop there last March on our Zuiderdam cruise as we were scheduled to leave at 2:30pm, plus there was another larger ship we would be sharing the island with (Nieuw Amsterdam). The larger ship got the big island tenders, we used the Zuiderdam's tenders.

Regardless, we still opted to spend some time on the beach. We went ashore around 11am and found plenty of loungers further down the beach and enjoyed a couple long walks along the shore and some time in the water. Because the island was used by two ships we opted to skip the BBQ on shore and headed back to our ship around 1pm and had lunch on board.

Still a completely perfect day!!

We get off the ship late morning and have a leisurely umbrella drink at a beach bar. :tropical-drink::tropical-drink::D

Then we tender back to the ship (we enjoy the "ferry boat" ride in both directions from it's top deck).

We hit the Lido for a nice lunch - not crowded or any lines with most folks still ashore.

Lastly we find lounge chairs on deck overlooking the beautiful island and just relax :cool:

<<Can you snorkel off HMC?>>

Yes, but it’s not great. If you have a mask and snorkel already, take them. But don’t pay what they charge to rent equipment on HMC as it’s not worth it.

There is a snorkel area off the big cabana (marked on the map of HMC) and another off the rocks near the horse stables, but that area is only safe for strong swimmers.

<<Can you snorkel off HMC?>>

Yes, but it’s not great. If you have a mask and snorkel already, take them. But don’t pay what they charge to rent equipment on HMC as it’s not worth it.

There is a snorkel area off the big cabana (marked on the map of HMC) and another off the rocks near the horse stables, but that area is only safe for strong swimmers.

Thanks. This will be our first time there and looking forward to it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We've only been to Half Moon Cay once and to Disney's Castaway Cay once, and I think that Half Moon is quieter, more relaxing and more beautiful. For reference, we're a family of three with one child who was 8 at the time. We tendered off the ship around 9:30-10a-ish (no line) and went directly to the beach. We didn't do an excursion, but we did rent ONE clamshell (a tent like cover over TWO beach chairs) and we were so glad we did. It wasn't the heat so much, as it was early April, but the island did get one of those afternoon showers that quickly blew over. It was AWESOME to have the clamshell for the three of us to stay dry along with our belongings! If I'm remembering correctly, there were plenty of chairs, but no umbrellas. You would need to rent the clamshell for shade, etc. There were definitely restrooms and they also provided a buffet lunch, which was included, that was quick and easy. It's such a beautiful beach, and my son loves the ocean so I can't imagine staying on the ship, but there were definitely those who had been to Half Moon several times and chose to stay onboard.