What is the up to date status of Cunard's alcohol policy?

nzstuart51

Yes you can

Thanks Hattie,

That's a really good clear response! We are not great drinkers at all but it's nice to know we can bring a bottle of wine onboard for cabin use .

I'm sure from what I've been reading that many more people would buy drinks onboard if they were a little more reasonably priced but it's an issue with all cruises.

Am on Q.V. now. Currently in Cadiz and it seems that drink prices have just been increased again. We were discussing it on our second night when the sommelier in Britain’s Club confirmed they had just been issued a new wine list.

Am on Q.V. now. Currently in Cadiz and it seems that drink prices have just been increased again. We were discussing it on our second night when the sommelier in Britain’s Club confirmed they had just been issued a new wine list.

Thank you zzrlad for taking time to post.

I hope you have a lovely cruise.

Thank you zzrlad for taking time to post.

I hope you have a lovely cruise.

Thanks. Very good so far.

To note we also brought 8 bottles of wine on board with us to drink in our room.

Also so far our daily drinks bill is around £100 equivalent. It adds up very easily and quickly.

We frequently do this as well. For us, it's not an issue of saving money, but that we generally drink what we believe to be much better wines than any cruise line stocks. Basically, if they stocked a better selection, we'd be quite happy as we usually have tons of OBC to spend.

So if you have "tons of OBC" then why dont you pay the corkage price and take your bottle to any bar/restaurant to drink. Sorry you open it in your cabin and pour glass and then carry it around the ship so you dont have to pay the crkage price so it is about saving money.

Agree, and if "carriers" are wishing to only break even, then they are to select the Amarone from the Cunard Wine List, as it's about the same price if one purchased retail in Italy and then paid the Corkage. Simples.

However, if "carriers" wish to make a perceived profit, then "carriers" must purchase a selection of quality Pomerol, Margot etc and pay the Corkage Fee.

Somelliers will store, decant and serve perfectly.

"Carriers" can then compare their total spend with similar wines from the Cunard Wine List, and count their dollars saved.

Then spend the dollars saved in the Ship's bars and restaurants, as it's savings (free money), thereby costing them nothing. Simples.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

I started this thread, totally oblivious to the side issues which would arise. I must stress we would NEVER ever take our own supply of alcohol outside of our cabin. Further, when in a bar, lounge or restaurant we will certainly only ever buy the Cunard supplied alcohol and that will certainly comprise spirits, wines and liqueurs.

It would seem from the on-topic posts on this thread that there has been no change to the Cunard policy in respect of taking alcohol onboard and therefore our plan is still doable.

Thank you to contributors.

Thank you for posting this question. I have never cruised with Cunard before so am trying to research as much as I can before booking. Alcohol in cabins is just one of the many questions running through my mind. Sorry these questions usually get sidetracked into the "dos and dont's" of ships etiquette. Still, all good information.

We always take several bottles of wine for consumption in the cabin. A glass or two of a favourite tipple whilst getting dressed for dinner is very civilised in our eyes. However, we will still have a drink in the bars as I'm mindful that if people didn't Cunard would stop us bringing alcohol on board or severely limit the amount.

Am I to understand that we can purchase a bottle of wine in each of the fabulous Mediterranean ports we visit and bring it on board to our cabin with the intention to drink it there without difficulty on any level from anyone anywhere, security to cabin steward? Can we purchase more than one? Thank you.

Am I to understand that we can purchase a bottle of wine in each of the fabulous Mediterranean ports we visit and bring it on board to our cabin with the intention to drink it there without difficulty on any level from anyone anywhere, security to cabin steward? Can we purchase more than one? Thank you.

We've done exactly this in the past with no problems. And we have brought wine to the dining room and paid the corkage fee.

Last night on QV we asked the sommelier to confirm the cost of corkage as we had heard rumours onboard that there may soon be a price increase. He advised presently still $20 with no additional 15% service charge but it may be increasing. We told him we were thinking of taking our own in November and paying corkage as we felt that the wine list was too expensive and that it was a shame Cunard hadn’t offered any cheaper house wines whilst reinventing the new wine list. He said many people had complained of the cost but it is a shoreside decision.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Having discovered that even Queen's Grill does not include drinks or wine with dinner, we have bought a wine package. It consists of 12 tokens. Does anyone know if these tokens are usable everywhere on the ship, or just dinner? And if so, what if we only have a glass or 2 - does the unfinished bottle stay at that venue or ?

Does anyone know if these tokens are usable everywhere on the ship, or just dinner? And if so, what if we only have a glass or 2 - does the unfinished bottle stay at that venue or ?

You must hand your tokens to your sommelier, therefore, they can only be used when the restaurants are open, although you can use them in most locations during that time, and the staff will ensure your sommelier gets them.

When in the restaurant, the sommelier will keep any unfinished bottles until you want them. I usually order a bottle of port and it will appear at the end of my meal to have with my cheese and be taken away again when I am finished.

Stewart

Yes ! although these wine package coupons are 'primarily for the restaurant', it is also possible to arrange for a bottle of wine from the package to be delivered to one of the public venue's ( ie Commodore/Chart room etc ) in advance.

What you shouldn't do, is to just turn up and produce a coupon in one of the open venues without prior arrangement. You will save your self (and the crew member) a 'lot of hassle' if you arrange delivery of your chosen wine ( to your preferred venue) before hand ! via your sommelier. (it's the same procedure if dining in one of the alternative venues)

I often do this, however, I'm amazed how some guests make things difficult and a hassle for them self ,when they just turn up in one of the bars and hand over wine coupons . ( it causes confusion with the poor young crew member, plus additional paper work and a delay in the 'wine being sourced' and finally delivered to you ) Not all wines from the wine package selection are available in the public venues/ cocktail bars . This means a crew member has to go to the restaurant bonded cage to collect.

Yes you can request the bar crew member to hold the wine for you, until your next visit.

Strange, I've never had a problem and used the tokens in several places without any hassle to either me or the staff member, during restaurant hours.

Certainly never arranged anything in advance as I wouldn't know what I'm going to have or where I will be.

Last night on QV we asked the sommelier to confirm the cost of corkage as we had heard rumours onboard that there may soon be a price increase. He advised presently still $20 with no additional 15% service charge but it may be increasing.

That is interesting as I was charged more on the recent cruise, ending 3 August.

Once I was charged $25, once $23 or so.

Unfortunately I did not check (but just signed) in the restaurant. When I asked at the purser's Office, I was told it is $ 25 now.

Strange, I've never had a problem and used the tokens in several places without any hassle to either me or the staff member, during restaurant hours.

Certainly never arranged anything in advance as I wouldn't know what I'm going to have or where I will be.

Don't tell you've never had to wait. My experience has been, ( and I travel often) not all of the wine selection from the 'Captain's or Commodore wine package' are not readily available (or on hand) in the various open venues. In other words, someone has to go off hunting for them.

Would someone please explain the wine tokens?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

'Wine'packages are available to pre- purchase in advance or onboard via the sommelier.

The guest is give a booklet of 'Coupons' depending on the amount of bottles chosen from the wine package. eg 4/6/12.

There is a standard selection of wine to choose from ie 'The Captains selection' or a slightly premium range, 'The Commodore selection'.