MSC Yacht Club...Yes, I'm Going To Ask About Shorts

bwelborn

sorry - not childish - rules are in place for a reason - sorry!!!! - its out of respect to all of the other passengers....

Actually it is childish! Kind of the definition...”silly and immature”!

People break all sorts of rules on cruise ships! Is it right...nope! But if you want to spend your cruise being the rule monitor go for it!! That’s a lot of money to spend to be worrying about everyone else’s business! Hope you have fun on the pool deck monitoring all the chair hogs! Bc to me that’s more rude than showing your legs at the dinner table!

Actually it is childish! Kind of the definition...”silly and immature”!

People break all sorts of rules on cruise ships! Is it right...nope! But if you want to spend your cruise being the rule monitor go for it!! That’s a lot of money to spend to be worrying about everyone else’s business! Hope you have fun on the pool deck monitoring all the chair hogs! Bc to me that’s more rude than showing your legs at the dinner table!

WOW!!!! - done....

BTW, no chair hogs in the Yacht Club - bye, bye!!!

OP, if you're trying to find someone with a different answer, you won't find it here. We're trying to tell you how it is, but you don't want to listen.

Plus 1.

Perhaps what OP doesn't understand is that not only premium/luxury lines, but also the "ship w/i a ship" wannabes (e.g., Yacht Club, Haven, etc) draw clients in part because of their maintaining decorum. And, at the other end of the spectrum, many of these ships (particularly the premium lines like Oceania and Azamara) don't require jackets and ties in specialty restaurants or have pretend "prom nights."

It won't kill anyone to wear a nice pair of slacks and collared shirt.

BTW, leave the baseball cap in your cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

sorry - not childish - rules are in place for a reason - sorry!!!! - its out of respect to all of the other passengers who are trying to enjoy and elegant evening, and if they were sitting in my 100% visual, yes, i would not be happy to see this...so if they allow shorts, then where does it stop - flip flops and perhaps t-shirts and tanks -

i am all for casual dining, but if you really need to where shorts to an elegant restaurant at dinner time, perhaps this venue is not for them...... just saying!!!!

Many all inclusive resorts have the same rules - long pants for gentlemen and closed shoes - seen many turned away..!!!

I'm quite surprised that seeing someone in shorts would bother you or anyone so much. I couldn't care less about what anyone else was wearing near me or within a visual on the ship. Unless someone is being overly rude or disruptive I just let people live their own lives. As I mentioned in a different discussion when I'm on vacation I'm not packing anything formal. I'm going casual all the time in golf shorts and polos. I'm on vacation to relax and have a good time. Formal and stuffy is for back at home.

So, it's probably been ten years since I've been on MSC. Leaving on the 25th in YC Divina; we are converts from NCL Haven.

I've been reading about the dress code for LeMuse. Are shorts acceptable on non formal evenings? We live in a resort area and my husband is in linen shorts and alligator loafers most of the time. That's why we enjoy NCL so much.

Just trying to determine how many pairs of long pants to pack for him.

You really need others to tell you how many pairs of long pants to pack? :confused:

Plus 1.

Perhaps what OP doesn't understand is that not only premium/luxury lines, but also the "ship w/i a ship" wannabes (e.g., Yacht Club, Haven, etc) draw clients in part because of their maintaining decorum. And, at the other end of the spectrum, many of these ships (particularly the premium lines like Oceania and Azamara) don't require jackets and ties in specialty restaurants or have pretend "prom nights."

It won't kill anyone to wear a nice pair of slacks and collared shirt.

BTW, leave the baseball cap in your cabin.

Each passenger can do what they want...Many times it states "suggested dress".... Why? because when attire was stated in a more "closed mind" manner...people still did their own thing. As we know....ships never or rarely enforce dress code and are very inconsistent at best. So they softned the wording to "suggested"....

For any of us to tell a fellow passenger what they must do is a "Mind your own business" issue!! They can deal with the consequences if and when they approached by staff about their dress. Nuff said!

Each passenger can do what they want...Many times it states "suggested dress".... Why? because when attire was stated in a more "closed mind" manner...people still did their own thing. As we know....ships never or rarely enforce dress code and are very inconsistent at best. So they softned the wording to "suggested"....

For any of us to tell a fellow passenger what they must do is a "Mind your own business" issue!! They can deal with the consequences if and when they approached by staff about their dress. Nuff said!

Sorry- but you are ill-informed. For example, here is Oceania's code, which is enforced:

Oceania Cruises

The Code: Oceania keeps its policy simple and casual. Country club and resort-style attire are generally appropriate for both men and women. In all evening dining venues, passengers are requested to adhere to the country club casual dress code. (Think elegant casual, although some passengers choose to get dressier.) Shorts, casual jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear and sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo Grill, Toscana or Tuscan Steak.

Number of Formal Nights: None.

Nightly Casual Option: The ship maintains a more casual dress code than most upscale lines, so, theoretically, evening casual wear is appropriate throughout the ship. Dressy shorts and casual shirts are allowed in Terrace Cafe during the evening. Room service is an option for the sweatpants and T-shirt crowd.

Sorry- but you are ill-informed. For example, here is Oceania's code, which is enforced:

Oceania Cruises

The Code: Oceania keeps its policy simple and casual. Country club and resort-style attire are generally appropriate for both men and women. In all evening dining venues, passengers are requested to adhere to the country club casual dress code. (Think elegant casual, although some passengers choose to get dressier.) Shorts, casual jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear and sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Jacques, Red Ginger, Polo Grill, Toscana or Tuscan Steak.

Number of Formal Nights: None.

Nightly Casual Option: The ship maintains a more casual dress code than most upscale lines, so, theoretically, evening casual wear is appropriate throughout the ship. Dressy shorts and casual shirts are allowed in Terrace Cafe during the evening. Room service is an option for the sweatpants and T-shirt crowd.

#1 you are talking Oceania #2 -It's irrelevant.....I can't tell you how many times I saw men wearing tshirt style shirts, shorts and sometimes a baseball cap on formal nights when I cruised on the Carnival Vista over Thanksgiving. I never saw 1 person turned back. Saw similar instances when I cruised Princess 2 years ago. Would I dress that way...Of course not. But everyone is different and its the ships responsibility to enforce and if they don't.....so be it

Also...as a fyi.... Here is feedback from someone who recently cruised on Divina

We were on a 7 night cruise. There were 2 "formal" nights. I expect you'll feel VERY out of place in an evening gown. My daughter and I wore very nice cocktail dresses and we were more formally dressed than most. I actually spoke to the concierge about MSC's dining room dress policy. I packed according to their no jeans and dressy attire statements in their marketing material. I couldn't believe how casual they allowed guests into the dining room. They responded by saying that they couldn't enforce their dress code policy and it was simply a recommendation. I was disappointed because I always enjoy dressing for dinner while on a cruise. With that said, you can wear whatever you feel like. Just enjoy!

#1 you are talking Oceania #2 -It's irrelevant.....I can't tell you how many times I saw men wearing tshirt style shirts, shorts and sometimes a baseball cap on formal nights when I cruised on the Carnival Vista over Thanksgiving. I never saw 1 person turned back. Saw similar instances when I cruised Princess 2 years ago./quote]

Why are so many people referencing Carnival?

Is that the passengers MSC is after?

Carnival is known (rightly or not) for people wearing "tshirt style shirts, shorts and sometimes a baseball cap."

[55037531]

#1 you are talking oceania #2 -it's irrelevant.....i can't tell you how many times i saw men wearing tshirt style shirts, shorts and sometimes a baseball cap on formal nights when i cruised on the carnival vista over thanksgiving. I never saw 1 person turned back. Saw similar instances when i cruised princess 2 years ago./quote]

why are so many people referencing carnival?

Are those the passengers msc is after?

Carnival is known (rightly or not) for people wearing "tshirt style shirts, shorts and sometimes a baseball cap."

#1 you are talking Oceania #2 -It's irrelevant.....I can't tell you how many times I saw men wearing tshirt style shirts, shorts and sometimes a baseball cap on formal nights when I cruised on the Carnival Vista over Thanksgiving. I never saw 1 person turned back. Saw similar instances when I cruised Princess 2 years ago./quote]

Why are so many people referencing Carnival?

Is that the passengers MSC is after?

Re read my last post...which now included feedback from a past cruiser on Divina. Pretty much confirms the attitude of dining staff (Maitre'D)

Re read my last post...which now included feedback from a past cruiser on Divina. Pretty much confirms the attitude of dining staff (Maitre'D)

I'm a past passenger on Divina.

I saw no shorts in the dining room (YC).

Formal nights I saw shirts and long pants, sports coats (dh), and some white dinner jackets.... for men. Women wore slacks and dressy tops and some cocktail dresses

So, it's probably been ten years since I've been on MSC. Leaving on the 25th in YC Divina; we are converts from NCL Haven.

I've been reading about the dress code for LeMuse. Are shorts acceptable on non formal evenings? We live in a resort area and my husband is in linen shorts and alligator loafers most of the time. That's why we enjoy NCL so much.

Just trying to determine how many pairs of long pants to pack for him.

We are in the same boat as you! Literally!! Always loved the Haven until our last cruise and we will also be in the YC on the 25th!

You asked the question whether shorts are allowed. As is stated, they are not. Many have said this. Why ask a question if you are not willing to accept the answer.Would you like to change the rules.

Just returned from YC And no, no one tried to wear shorts.

WOW!! This is how we start a cruise that hasn’t even begun. Shorts are not allowed. If anyone wants to push this rule they may or may not have to deal with the consequences.

I’m just happy to leave our miserable weather behind and not have to wear my heavy winter coat [emoji6]

WOW!! This is how we start a cruise that hasn’t even begun. Shorts are not allowed. If anyone wants to push this rule they may or may not have to deal with the consequences.

I’m just happy to leave our miserable weather behind and not have to wear my heavy winter coat [emoji6]

Really?

What was posted was...

... i would make a comment to the maitre'd and see how they handle it.....

...which makes sense.

Also...as a fyi.... Here is feedback from someone who recently cruised on Divina

I couldn't believe how casual they allowed guests into the dining room. They responded by saying that they couldn't enforce their dress code policy and it was simply a recommendation. I was disappointed because I always enjoy dressing for dinner while on a cruise. With that said, you can wear whatever you feel like. Just enjoy!

Yes, there are some aspects of the dress code that are "suggested" but there are also some aspects of the dress code that are plainly stated...

dress%20code.jpg

The OP asked about evening/dinner. It clearly states "No shorts...".

If people feel that "...they don't enforce the rule so it's OK to break it...", where would that line of thinking end?

It's MSC's ship. It's their rule. A passenger is a guest. A guest should adhere to the rule of dress.

I've never sailed in the Yacht Club nor on MSC (a few months to go for both) but coming from NCL's Haven restaurant (where shorts are allowed for all meals), I never wore shorts for dinner. I actually wore a tie for every dinner in the Haven restaurant.

Have I seen people in shorts for dinner there? Yes.

Did it bother me? No, shorts are allowed there.

Would seeing someone in shorts for dinner on MSC bother me? No, but I can understand why it would bother some others.