Has the Seaside Dinner Buffet Improved?

The Admiral

MSC Customer service SWEARS up and down I have confirmed early dining in the MDR and we are Bella experience for Seaside; how on Earth are bar height tables and chairs going to work with a toddler.

They likely consider the Marketplace to be an extension of the MDR. You should have asked them WHICH MDR you were in. They likely wouldn't be able to tell you.

There's nothing online (at least not when I looked) which said that the Marketplace isn't a full time buffet -- 20 hours a day per their website.

Edited by MisterBill99

There are way too many people on this ship for such a tiny buffet. The promenade deck is a waste of space on this ship because no one can use it after 4:00pm, because they're preparing the larger buffet to be a main dining room, and the majority of the promenade deck is the marketplace on Deck 8.

I agree with you on this. Deck 8 is supposed to be the focal point of the ship, the wraparound promenade. And then they go and close half of it after 4pm? I don't see why they couldn't use half the buffet for MDR overflow and leave have as a regular buffet for dinner. Not to mention that their website says they have a great buffet open 20 hours a day and only claim that Biscayne Bay is for families.

We'll be onboard in 2 weeks and I am hoping for the best. We aren't dinner buffet people, although I have been known to pick up a snack after dinner. I DO intend to have a word (or several) with ship management about this, assuming they show up at the CC or Black Card event.

They likely consider the Marketplace to be an extension of the MDR. You should have asked them WHICH MDR you were in. They likely wouldn't be able to tell you.

There's nothing online (at least not when I looked) which said that the Marketplace isn't a full time buffet -- 20 hours a day per their website.

My confirmation says 5:30PM dinner which leads me to believe it is a proper MDR.

Having the Marketplace Deck 8 as a buffet screws over two sets of people really. Those that want casual buffet dining shouldn't be forced to a second rate selections at deck 16. Those that booked a ship and told they will be in a dining room shouldn't be moved to the buffet. very simple.

I DO intend to have a word (or several) with ship management about this, assuming they show up at the CC or Black Card event.

This I can say, at least past experience, they do show up and solicit input. Whether that input is making a difference I can't say.

Having the Marketplace Deck 8 as a buffet screws over two sets of people really. Those that want casual buffet dining shouldn't be forced to a second rate selections at deck 16. Those that booked a ship and told they will be in a dining room shouldn't be moved to the buffet. very simple.

Exactly. It's as if they wanted to do something in the worst possible way, and they succeeded.

I wonder exactly when they figured out that they did not have enough capacity in the 2 normal MDR's to accommodate all the people on the ship? Many here were excusing them using the Marketplace for MDR overflow on the first couple of cruises by saying it was a holiday and the ship was at full capacity due to the number of kids. But now it's obviously their normal plan.

Also, their website still says the following:

All-inclusive food service with a full 13 different ”corners” and “stations” to explore,

Open 20 hours a day for breakfast, lunch, afternoon, dinner and late-night dining

on this page:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Discover-MSC/On-Board/Dining-Restaurants/Main-Restaurants.aspx

Maybe I'll print out a copy to use in my discussion when I am on the ship.

Edited by MisterBill99

Exactly. It's as if they wanted to do something in the worst possible way, and they succeeded.

I wonder exactly when they figured out that they did not have enough capacity in the 2 normal MDR's to accommodate all the people on the ship? Many here were excusing them using the Marketplace for MDR overflow on the first couple of cruises by saying it was a holiday and the ship was at full capacity due to the number of kids. But now it's obviously their normal plan.

The problem with "mega ships" in general is they aren't a heck of a lot longer or wider than mid size ships. Public venues aren't much larger . The approach is to layer in more decks of cabins without corresponding increase in public venues. I like the new designs and features/amenities, but I'm finding that just about any newer ship that hold 4K plus people isn't providing the experience I seek, too much crowding, too much waiting, too many lines. Carnival ships are God awful with this in particular as they have utilized one basic layout for decades and just keep adding more decks of cabins. Oasis-class has many, many venues to try to move crowds around, but the venues themselves are tiny. NCL Escape was this way as well; the pool deck is like a joke, and dining rooms kind of a problem too.

After Seaside I think I'll be completely over my FOMO and look for ships in the under 4K pax range.

The problem with "mega ships" in general is they aren't a heck of a lot longer or wider than mid size ships. Public venues aren't much larger . The approach is to layer in more decks of cabins without corresponding increase in public venues. I like the new designs and features/amenities, but I'm finding that just about any newer ship that hold 4K plus people isn't providing the experience I seek, too much crowding, too much waiting, too many lines. Carnival ships are God awful with this in particular as they have utilized one basic layout for decades and just keep adding more decks of cabins. Oasis-class has many, many venues to try to move crowds around, but the venues themselves are tiny. NCL Escape was this way as well; the pool deck is like a joke, and dining rooms kind of a problem too.

After Seaside I think I'll be completely over my FOMO and look for ships in the under 4K pax range.

Very good points Maxwell.

Good point. As Bella we may well be screwed twice as we eat dinner in both the buffet and MDR.

What is wrong with bar tables? I see them in buffets all the time.

Nothing wrong with them at all BestNC!

As I said. I like them in a buffet setting.

As I also mentioned, I'm not sure people are too happy with the possibility of being moved from a regular table in one of the two designated MDRs, to being on a hi-top for a full sit-down dinner (not a quick buffet meal) Not exactly comfortable for the anywhere between 1-2 hours MSC seems to take for a dinner service.

THAT SAID - no one has absolutely confirmed people are being assigned hi-tops at dinner that I'm aware.

I'm ever hopeful that any issued will be sorted soon by MSC. Sounds like they are quite responsive to customer feedback - a good thing!

If people are that upset over being seated in the buffet for dinner (and I would be!) then just don't book the Bella experience.

Easier said then done especially for people who have already booked and have limited or no options to now change!!

Easier said then done especially for people who have already booked and have limited or no options to now change!!

That is true if already booked, BUT I've been on the Divina twice and watching Seaside for a long time. When you read about Bella it mentions the buffet as a possibility. At least it has on websites I check.

That is true if already booked, BUT I've been on the Divina twice and watching Seaside for a long time. When you read about Bella it mentions the buffet as a possibility. At least it has on websites I check.

Hi dd, as was written in another thread - this isn't mentioned at all on the Australian site (where @EssG and I have looked thoroughly for), and I recall at least one other country too.

The difference in price and lack of benefits for Fantastica (again very variable country-to-country) vs Bella - made it a hard choice for me.

I've started to just accept that there really is a true 'class' system on MSC based on the 'experience' level (seemingly more than other lines) and you 'get what you paid for' Not something we've been used to - but that's ok.

I think when we sail as Bella customers - if we just lower our expectations, be prepared to spend on-board for things we'd normally have included on other lines - then we'll enjoy ourselves :)

It’s all about perception. When you book Bella and save a whole bunch of money, you are left to choose on your own what you want to spend $$ on onboard. I do find it funny when people talk about other cruise lines having activities “included”. It’s only included because you have prepaid with a higher fare. I have allotted 300$ for seaside activities and I saved 1000$ compared to the next best deal for my cruise. Bottom line.... they all get your money one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very good points Maxwell.

The thing is, she isn't a mega ship by the standard of gross tonnage, I personally have a theory that MSC added possibly 2 more accomodation decks after construction started. Not just the lack of dining capacity, but also the problems with the sewage plumbing lead me to believe this.

The thing is, she isn't a mega ship by the standard of gross tonnage, I personally have a theory that MSC added possibly 2 more accomodation decks after construction started. Not just the lack of dining capacity, but also the problems with the sewage plumbing lead me to believe this.

Whats considered a megaship? The seaside sits right around a a few other ships that I am familiar with.

Seaside GT-- 153,516 Double Occupant 4,140

NLC Epic GT-- 155,873 Double Occupant 4,100

NLC Breakaway GT 145,655 Double Occupant 3,910

Carnival Vista GT-- 133,596 Double Occupant 3,936

When you read about Bella it mentions the buffet as a possibility. At least it has on websites I check.

Yes, of course as the buffet is always an option for dinner for everyone. It´s not specifically mentioned that you have a seated dinner in a buffet restaurant which is transformed to a main restaurant for dinner. The German website mentiones a variety of dining options in the restaurants and the buffet. But that´s just a general statement saying that there are various restaurants plus a buffet restaurant. You´re not forced to go to one of the main restaurants or even a surcharge specialty restaurant for dinner. If you want to dine casual you can also go to the buffet restaurants. That´s the meaning of the buffet restaurant mentioned on the website. And BTW all "Bella" amenities are also valid for all "higher" experiences. So this statement is also valid for Fantastica, Wellness, Aurea and Yacht Club.

steamboats

Hi dd, as was written in another thread - this isn't mentioned at all on the Australian site (where @EssG and I have looked thoroughly for), and I recall at least one other country too.

The difference in price and lack of benefits for Fantastica (again very variable country-to-country) vs Bella - made it a hard choice for me.

I've started to just accept that there really is a true 'class' system on MSC based on the 'experience' level (seemingly more than other lines) and you 'get what you paid for' Not something we've been used to - but that's ok.

I think when we sail as Bella customers - if we just lower our expectations, be prepared to spend on-board for things we'd normally have included on other lines - then we'll enjoy ourselves :).

Spot on..there was so little extra inclusions for Fantastica that is just did not make sense and yes, will spend the money we saved on the things that we enjoy and have fun

Edited by EssG

Whats considered a megaship? The seaside sits right around a a few other ships that I am familiar with.

Seaside GT-- 153,516 Double Occupant 4,140

NLC Epic GT-- 155,873 Double Occupant 4,100

NLC Breakaway GT 145,655 Double Occupant 3,910

Carnival Vista GT-- 133,596 Double Occupant 3,936

I think a mega ship now has to be over 165,000 tonnes, only MSC Mereviglia qualifies, they all take over 4000 double occupancy.

The old mega ships are now the new standard ship, Liberty is still the biggest of these and most of them are around the 3600 mark, 135,000-155,000 tonnes (wikipedia has a fairly comprehensive list). Of this group of ships Seaside and Epic stand out for pushing over 4000 passengers.

If people are that upset over being seated in the buffet for dinner (and I would be!) then just don't book the Bella experience.

You're suggestion doesn't solve the issue for me :(. Most nights I avoid MDR's because I'm not interested in spending 2+ hours in a dining room. This is particularly important to me for my yearly solo trip (not so much when I sail with DH).

So even if I booked Fantastica , Aurua ,or YC, the elimination of the larger buffet on deck 8 does impact my decision whether or not to choose MSC for this year's solo trip. It appears the only buffet available for dinner on deck 16 has very limited choices. Based on one video, the dinner 'salad bar' on 16 is a joke.

Morphing Market place into a MDR in the evening effects many more passengers than just those booked bella.

For your circumstances you are correct and it sounds like Seaside would not be the ship to choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hear you. MSC is just so flipping cheap lol. Especially when sailing solo and paying 200%.

I can book a fantastica balcony (or an interior YC) for the same price as an ocean view on the mainstream line. And Bella balconies are down to $649 pp.

Having sailed on MSc davina twice, I feel well informed of MSc shortcomings, but lack of a proper diner buffet is a new twist to the plot.

That’s why I’m personally so Interested in this topic :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk