RCCL new Diamond Lounge Policy?

seeyakids

I would say RCI is hoping you will give up and go use your drink vouchers elsewhere? Which is essentially kicking many out of the lounge without even having to implement anything due to over crowding. :o

I believe that's the case as well. I'm only guessing about what's happening with the overflow areas. Is it individual ship management? I hope it is and that sooner or later things will work out and that valuable DL/CL benefit remains as it has been. But I know it will be what RCL wants it to be.

I still believe and I've posted this before: THERE IS A PLAN. Not necessarily well-executed, but I believe there is a plan. You can get where you're going taking small steps just as you can taking large steps. Large steps tend to be very dramatic and draw a lot of attention. Smaller steps, not so much. Small steps allow you to adjust your course along the way. If you take a large step and it takes you off course, it takes a bit more to get back on course...to get back on course without a lot of egg on your face. Vouchers were introduced how many years ago? 3-4-5 years ago? I can't remember exactly. OK, so that's out there. Could it be that the second step i.e. ending the overflow practice, is being taken, being phased in. I guess, time will tell.

Just returned from our 9-night on Navigator. Concierge told us there were 640 D and above on this cruise (March 2-11); therefore, the DL over-flowed next door into the Cosmopolitan Club (old Viking Crown Lounge) for all of the 9 nights!;p Very unexpected but appreciated!:cool:

I look at the example of the Harmony that is coming to PC soon to replace Oasis. Tiny little cave like DL down in the "bilge"on deck 4 is all you have unless you are P or in full suite and can thus use the SL. In comparison there is always a large number of upper tier C&A on Oasis out of PC and even that large two floor DL is packed. :eek: Of course with no CL any longer on those ships, Ds and D+ packed in together in the same lounge.

Now RCI supposedly is going with no over flow for DL on ships.

I would say RCI is hoping you will give up and go use your drink vouchers elsewhere? Which is essentially kicking many out of the lounge without even having to implement anything due to over crowding. :o

We had 3 Harmony cruises in Europe in 2016 and although the DL was only half full we only called in for a couple of snacks and drinks for half an hour at cocktail opening time because the dungeon lounge with no outside views was so uninspiring so we used our vouchers at the trellis bar on Central Park instead.

I believe that's the case as well. I'm only guessing about what's happening with the overflow areas. Is it individual ship management? I hope it is and that sooner or later things will work out and that valuable DL/CL benefit remains as it has been. But I know it will be what RCL wants it to be.

I still believe and I've posted this before: THERE IS A PLAN. Not necessarily well-executed, but I believe there is a plan. You can get where you're going taking small steps just as you can taking large steps. Large steps tend to be very dramatic and draw a lot of attention. Smaller steps, not so much. Small steps allow you to adjust your course along the way. If you take a large step and it takes you off course, it takes a bit more to get back on course...to get back on course without a lot of egg on your face. Vouchers were introduced how many years ago? 3-4-5 years ago? I can't remember exactly. OK, so that's out there. Could it be that the second step i.e. ending the overflow practice, is being taken, being phased in. I guess, time will tell.

You have a point plus on the worlds largest ship they allocate a grotty little lounge on deck 4 as the DL is enough without the overcrowding to turn people away.

I look at the example of the Harmony that is coming to PC soon to replace Oasis. Tiny little cave like DL down in the "bilge"on deck 4 is all you have unless you are P or in full suite and can thus use the SL. In comparison there is always a large number of upper tier C&A on Oasis out of PC and even that large two floor DL is packed. :eek: Of course with no CL any longer on those ships, Ds and D+ packed in together in the same lounge.

Now RCI supposedly is going with no over flow for DL on ships.

It is the same a giving the concierge lounge a new name as suite lounge. I know on oasis and allure the concierge lounge is now the diamond lounge. But it is a sneaky way of taking away a perk for d+ without "officially" taking away the perk. Now ships will be going to suite lounge and diamond lounge only. Just like kicking out d from the cl lounge a few years ago. It is a better pr move by royal to simple rename the lounge therefore saying they are not diminishing the benefits for upper tier cruisers.

Making no oveflow is a way of making d and above use the vouchers without having to worry about overcrowding issues. Another well thought out PR move. Corporate is making this policy fleetwide to make it more consistent across the fleet regarding overflow access.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

You have a point plus on the worlds largest ship they allocate a grotty little lounge on deck 4 as the DL is enough without the overcrowding to turn people away.

To put a small DL on the worlds largest ship alongside having no overflow and 3 drinks vouchers is an indicator in which direction RC want to go.

Just like boiling a frog in a pot. Start the water cool and slowly raise the temp and frog will sit until it is boiled. Through it in a boiling pot of water and it will try to jump out.

Making no oveflow is a way of making d and above use the vouchers without having to worry about overcrowding issues. Another well thought out PR move. Corporate is making this policy fleetwide to make it more consistent across the fleet regarding overflow access.

We'll probably never know whether it's corporate policy to end overflow or if it's a decision made by staff onboard.

However, we do know from reports such as the one above from SilkySal that the overflow area has been made available on some cruises.

Now consider this. You are senior staff on an RCL ship. You've received a directive from corporate (that's what some have been told on board) that advises you NOT to open an overflow area. All staff on all ships would probably receive the directive. If you're staff on a ship, would you decide to ignore a directive from your boss, open up an overflow area, and possibly run the risk of losing your job? I still want to believe it's a decision made by staff onboard but with RCL....you NEVER can tell!

We'll probably never know whether it's corporate policy to end overflow or if it's a decision made by staff onboard.

However, we do know from reports such as the one above from SilkySal that the overflow area has been made available on some cruises.

Now consider this. You are senior staff on an RCL ship. You've received a directive from corporate (that's what some have been told on board) that advises you NOT to open an overflow area. All staff on all ships would probably receive the directive. If you're staff on a ship, would you decide to ignore a directive from your boss, open up an overflow area, and possibly run the risk of losing your job? I still want to believe it's a decision made by staff onboard but with RCL....you NEVER can tell!

I agree.

Having no overflow is a cheap way of forcing members to go to other bars and ultimately spending money when they have used the 3 vouchers.

Just returned from our 9-night on Navigator. Concierge told us there were 640 D and above on this cruise (March 2-11); therefore, the DL over-flowed next door into the Cosmopolitan Club (old Viking Crown Lounge) for all of the 9 nights!;p Very unexpected but appreciated!:cool:

Why would this be unexpected?

Oh my gosh, we are the boiled frog!

Well, we're on an upcoming TA so it should prove interesting. I'm sure the Brilliance CL will be packed but I just can't imagine what will happen if they don't open the side door in the DL and allow overflow into the VCL or relocate evening event to another lounge. Radiance class DLs, as we know, are just slightly larger than a shoebox.

That being said, has anyone ever SEEN this notice from corporate? Could it be that individual ship management is making the decision to open up overflow or not? Isn't it easy to tell disgruntled D, D+ and P that the decision came from corporate and therefore out of staff's control?

First of all the one thing Royal is very good about is not having their various rules or policies regarding the C&A program available in written form.

I believe there is a bit of experimentation going on. It may be that Miami is sending out suggestions and the ships are implementing to see how much push back it generates. We first encountered the no overflow with large C&A numbers on the Liberty in November of 2016. We were told it came from Miami. At the time world around the CC world was that the Liberty was more consistent than other ships in enforcing directives from Miami.

It was about a year later that reports started coming back that other ships were implementing the no overflow policy on most ships Radiance Class and larger. So far I have not seen anyone report the no overflow on Vision Class ships. I would also expect that the ship does have some flexibility in this matter, at least for the time being.

The big telling sign will be when the spring repo season gets started next month. If they have no overflow on the TP's TA's and other high C&A sailings I expect there will be a lot of pushback.

There may come to a time when most C&As use their vouchers in other venues but I expect we are not quite ready for that on the longer sailing with the high numbers.

You have a point plus on the worlds largest ship they allocate a grotty little lounge on deck 4 as the DL is enough without the overcrowding to turn people away

To put a small DL on the worlds largest ship alongside having no overflow and 3 drinks vouchers is an indicator in which direction RC want to go.

Grotty... lol

We are personally glad that Royal listened to us and moved the CL out of a “grotty” area of the ship and dressing up the new Suite Lounges.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I still believe and I've posted this before: THERE IS A PLAN. Not necessarily well-executed, but I believe there is a plan. You can get where you're going taking small steps just as you can taking large steps. Large steps tend to be very dramatic and draw a lot of attention. Smaller steps, not so much. Small steps allow you to adjust your course along the way. If you take a large step and it takes you off course, it takes a bit more to get back on course...to get back on course without a lot of egg on your face. Vouchers were introduced how many years ago? 3-4-5 years ago? I can't remember exactly. OK, so that's out there. Could it be that the second step i.e. ending the overflow practice, is being taken, being phased in. I guess, time will tell. Just like boiling a frog in a pot. Start the water cool and slowly raise the temp and frog will sit until it is boiled. Through it in a boiling pot of water and it will try to jump out.

The two of you have a missing “quote” post going on. It’s possible to clean up if you delete the extra “quote” as I did above. I’ve done the same thing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Their are quite a few Diamond+ that remember being kicked out of the CL when they were Diamonds not to long ago and if if they get kick out again with or without the SL they are changing them(CL) even though they don’t have too. Time will tell if Royal steps in it again. I am speaking of The Radiance Class.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Their are quite a few Diamond+ that remember being kicked out of the CL when they were Diamonds not to long ago and if if they get kick out again with or without the SL they are changing them(CL) even though they don’t have too. Time will tell if Royal steps in it again. I am speaking of The Radiance Class.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can see it on everything that is larger but it does not make sense to have a SL on Radiance or smaller. There are just not enough suites to need to do that.

I can see it on everything that is larger but it does not make sense to have a SL on Radiance or smaller. There are just not enough suites to need to do that.

What happens to suite passengers if the CL is full? They do not have the three drink vouchers added to their seapasses.

What happens to suite passengers if the CL is full? They do not have the three drink vouchers added to their seapasses.
We've experienced that. Suite guests were not happy. We were on Brilliance for a TA a few years ago....pre-vouchers, no overflow lounge and MTD at 6:00. Could never get a Seat pre-dinner in the CL on a 15 nt cruise. We had the option to try to get into the D lounge overflow but Suite guests had no options.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Forums mobile app

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise