First time aqua cruiser

Texascruiser2008

You have mentioned on other, similar threads that you found breakfast in BLU to be bad. Could you be more specific - was the food ill-prepared, the menu limited, the service poor? It would be very helpful to those of us about to sail Aqua class to know a bit more to put your thoughts in context.

We only book Aqua, specifically for Blu. The menu may not be the most extensive, but the atmosphere, for us, makes up for it. There are always daily offerings-salmon, steak, onion soup, etc.-if you don’t care for the daily menu.

While on Constellation, we were able to order from the MDR menu, but not so while on this last Holiday cruise on the Infinity. That sailing was unusual, in many aspects.

No matter, there is always a selection of tasty treats, no matter where you dine!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have mentioned on other, similar threads that you found breakfast in BLU to be bad. Could you be more specific - was the food ill-prepared, the menu limited, the service poor? It would be very helpful to those of us about to sail Aqua class to know a bit more to put your thoughts in context.

Gladly. I am averse to eggs so that limits the menu severely.

But I ordered muesli, and believed that there would be some sort of tableside preparation by reading these threads. But it came like cold porridge, am not a lover of porridge at best of times, but not cold. Nothing served or offered with, it was real bad and I sent most back.

I had then ordered some English back bacon and sausage. I was not asked how much I wanted and was presented with something that I would not accept in and English greasy spoon (transport cafe). The bacon looked as though it had been boiled, it was in a tight ball and very badly cooked and one so called slice. The breakfast sausage was some sausage meat shaped into a torpedo and when one put ones fork into it, it oused brown grease, like a sponge might ooze after being dipped in burnt fat and then squozen. I tried both and sent most back.

Never went back again. At least at the buffet one could choose when one had seen what state the food was in, but that was very much seen by me as a bad second choice, I like to be served but served edible food. Maybe I should have done a Gordon Ramsey and thrown it back!

The toast was OK, but no better.

As to evening meals, they were mostly OK, but no better, and I was expecting better from, what seems to me to be an expensive cruiseline and so many on here that have spoken highly. (Perhaps people do have low expectations). The two best meals that I had were from the MDR menu (Constellation). So i advice people to save their money on Aqua, get a lower class cabin and spend the money saved on speciality restaurants, which we used once and was excellent.

I believed from the posts on here that BLU was the bees knees, but it was my experience that it was far from it, with dreadful breakfasts and best meals I had from MDR.

Yes, and you keep going from thread to thread whining about BLU.

I suppose that Blu does vary from ship to ship as the chefs etc. will be different. People also like to eat different foods cooked in different ways. We found our experience on Infinity to be exceptional. Breakfast was exactly as we would want it, as were the evening meals. The service was immaculate and we can't wait for our next cruise - also in Aqua class. We have no reason to praise Celebrity and in fact were not bowled over by the Oceanview or MDR the first time we cruised (although lunch in the MDR is good and the food is otherwise OK if not brilliant). It is a matter of finding what you like personally - we like Blu but others may prefer MDR, Oceanview or another cruise line entirely!

• 1 month later...
Hello, is anyone fresh off an Aqua cruise who can help me with a Blu question? I have seen posts saying if you want something off the MDR menu you can ask in Blu and they will get it and I have seen they don't. Really hoping I can get my French Onion Soup ! Hoping maybe someone just off can update...we will be on the Equinox in March.

Also a general question, we have the internet package this time, how do you get your codes etc.?

Thanks so much for any help !

My DH orders the French Onion soup many times while in BLU. We were most recently on Summit.

Gladly. I am averse to eggs so that limits the menu severely.

But I ordered muesli, and believed that there would be some sort of tableside preparation by reading these threads. But it came like cold porridge,

They stopped making the tableside muesli a few years ago because of health codes/reasons. They no longer had it in 2015 while on Millennium. We were told at the time that they removed the carts after US inspections and the fact the carts were not covered. On that cruise we were told by staff that they were designing new carts with a shield, but never saw those.

The last time I had this prepared tableside was in 2014 on Solstice.

They will however make the muesli to your specifications. I asked for dried fruit and fresh bananas with mine while on Summit.

We found Blu's Muesli wonderful - together with most items that where on the Breakfast Menu (particularly Egg Benedict).

The evening meals where generally pretty good - some excellent, some of them ok. We could get Onion Soup on Solstice as often as we wanted, our wonderful waiters even brought me an eclair from Bacio for desert.

Evening in the Speciality Restaurants usually is significantly better though.

We cruise Aqua mostly for Blu. Love the service. (Brit) Hubby orders a makeshift English breakfast (not on the menu) which they happily put together for him. It's once of year treat that I watch his arteries clog, every morning. We spend the rest of year unclogging..lol The entire experience has always been five star for us.

Sent from my RCT6S03W12 using Forums mobile app

Evening in the Speciality Restaurants usually is significantly better though.

It should be better in light of the additional fee charged. We do find that when dining in Blu we tend to use the specialty restaurants less. On M-class ships since the removal of Ocean Liners/Murano we'd dine exclusively in Blu. We don't find Tuscan special enough to justify the cost, Q-sine for us is a one and done, and DH doesn't care for Sushi. The food and service is Blu is a step above the MDR and the ambience is quite a few steps above.

You can also tell those for whom Celebrity can do no wrong and any anti-poster who had a bad experience is alluded to in this manner of denigration of them and their experience.

Why don't you ask CC to put a notice on the Celebrity threads, "You can post anything about Celebrity, provided it is positively in favour, all others will be removed"?

The problem is that this poster puts the same thing several times on every thread and expects that everyone has to agree with him. I would suggest that anyone read the above two sentences and then puruse the rest of this board. Almost every thread where people ask opinions has negative opinions and although people may disagree no one says they shouldn't be writing them. I believe the two sentences from this poster are factually incorrect and the evidence of that is quite apparent.

It is called “cruise critic” and he has every right to criticize Celebrity, but it sure gets old after awhile. If he isn’t going to cruise Celebrity again, I wish he would move on. He has said his complaint.

As for us, we LOVE Blu, and will once again be in Aqua class in April. As someone once said about Aqua class “they took the worst cabins, gave them the best restaurant, and charged a premium! Brilliant!”

I’m sure with luminae, Blu is no longer “the best restaurant” but it’s why we book Aqua. You sure dont get the “Aqua” anymore! (Bottled water)

Next 3 cruises booked none on Celebrity and that will continue for ever.

FYI Cruise Critic has recently added a new Guideline:

Cruise Critic considers constantly and persistently "bashing" a cruise line disruptive to other members. Therefore, you may receive a single warning regarding this behavior. In the sole opinion of Cruise Critic Community Management, you may lose access to that cruise line forum after the first warning.

FYI Cruise Critic has recently added a new Guideline:

Cruise Critic considers constantly and persistently "bashing" a cruise line disruptive to other members. Therefore, you may receive a single warning regarding this behavior. In the sole opinion of Cruise Critic Community Management, you may lose access to that cruise line forum after the first warning.

Excellent idea. Glad to learn this guideline has been added.

I just got off the Eclipse a week ago. Second time doing Blu. Food and service was great. I decided to venture out and try more seafood. Wasn’t disappointed. Favourite was Halibut and Sea Bass. Breakfast was great as well. No complaints. Last year we did MDR and food was great there as well. I find with Celebrity food is always good, just some meals are better than others. We tried Murano one night and loved it. Also did Tuscan - didn’t like it as much.

As for the person being so nasty on this thread and I’ve seen you on other threads being just as negative - I hope you mean it when you say your done with Celebrity because I’m hoping not to meet your acquaintance on any of my upcoming cruises. I find your name interesting as well.

Next 3 cruises booked none on Celebrity and that will continue for ever.

May I ask how long ago you had a terrible experience in Blu? If it wasn’t within the past year or so, it would no longer have much relevance, would it?

They stopped making the tableside muesli a few years ago because of health codes/reasons. They no longer had it in 2015 while on Millennium. We were told at the time that they removed the carts after US inspections and the fact the carts were not covered. On that cruise we were told by staff that they were designing new carts with a shield, but never saw those.

The last time I had this prepared tableside was in 2014 on Solstice.

They will however make the muesli to your specifications. I asked for dried fruit and fresh bananas with mine while on Summit.

We had tableside muesli last summer on Summit. It was lovely.

May I ask how long ago you had a terrible experience in Blu? If it wasn’t within the past year or so, it would no longer have much relevance, would it?

Maybe it's not the best idea to ask that poster any questions and give him a reason to return ;)

Maybe it's not the best idea to ask that poster any questions and give him a reason to return ;)

You make a valid point, but I’ve found that he will return regardless. I would like to know the answer. I’ve had only the one cruise in Aqua, and for me, Blu was neither the perfect experience many here seem to have had, nor the horrible experience this poster seems to have had. I’m willing to try again, on a different ship, but I’m still gathering data, just like the OP.

You make a valid point, but I’ve found that he will return regardless. I would like to know the answer. I’ve had only the one cruise in Aqua, and for me, Blu was neither the perfect experience many here seem to have had, nor the horrible experience this poster seems to have had. I’m willing to try again, on a different ship, but I’m still gathering data, just like the OP.

I think it depends on what kind of food you like. If you compare to MDR the sides seem smaller portions and more selection of seafood. If you’re a meat and potatoes person MDR may be better. My DH liked Blu but he would have been just as happy with MDR. I like the atmosphere of a smaller restaurant and being able to eat anytime we wanted. This was the first of 8 cruises that I found a good Sommelier who found me a wine I liked. I also found Blu had better selections of soup every night and I love soup so this worked for me. Last year we had a great experience in MDR but did 8:30 seating. I think that’s to late and 6:30 is too early. I have not had great experiences on anytime dining so this was another reason why we chose Blu. Also liked the breakfast in Blu. I’m not a buffet lover so again this is why Blu worked.

I think it depends on what kind of food you like. If you compare to MDR the sides seem smaller portions and more selection of seafood. If you’re a meat and potatoes person MDR may be better. My DH liked Blu but he would have been just as happy with MDR. I like the atmosphere of a smaller restaurant and being able to eat anytime we wanted. This was the first of 8 cruises that I found a good Sommelier who found me a wine I liked. I also found Blu had better selections of soup every night and I love soup so this worked for me. Last year we had a great experience in MDR but did 8:30 seating. I think that’s to late and 6:30 is too early. I have not had great experiences on anytime dining so this was another reason why we chose Blu. Also liked the breakfast in Blu. I’m not a buffet lover so again this is why Blu worked.

Yes, indeed. We too wanted to try a smaller restaurant, and liked the idea of being able to eat anytime we wanted. Too bad that was not what we experienced. Neither the food nor the service were the issue for us. Far from it! Our issue was that, excepting one night, we had long waits to be seated. We were completely flexible about the time, and in fact tried all possible times except early (which was packed, and undesirable for us anyway). We were not the only ones having this problem. Two regular Aqua couples, (with whom we cooled our heels night after night) told us not to judge Blu by our experience on that ship. They said they loved Aqua, but that they, and we, were being treated to a substandard Blu experience on that ship. That is the only reason I will try Aqua again, but only on a Solstice class ship.

Yes, indeed. We too wanted to try a smaller restaurant, and liked the idea of being able to eat anytime we wanted. Too bad that was not what we experienced. Neither the food nor the service were the issue for us. Far from it! Our issue was that, excepting one night, we had long waits to be seated. We were completely flexible about the time, and in fact tried all possible times except early (which was packed, and undesirable for us anyway). We were not the only ones having this problem. Two regular Aqua couples, (with whom we cooled our heels night after night) told us not to judge Blu by our experience on that ship. They said they loved Aqua, but that they, and we, were being treated to a substandard Blu experience on that ship. That is the only reason I will try Aqua again, but only on a Solstice class ship.

We ate at around 7-7:30 every night and ate in Blue 12 of the 14 nights and didn’t wait once, we had a table of 4. However I did see people arriving at 8-8:30 and had to wait at times but no longer than 10 minutes. I can’t comment earlier than that as we were probably in the Martini bar. [emoji483][emoji2].

We also ended up sitting in the same section and had the same serving staff every night. We had great service but we are not high maintenance customers. We always like to try what the suggest and we were rarely disappointed. Next year we’re booked on Silhouette and decided to do MDR and put our $$ towards specialty restaurants. We love the Lawn Club Grill. But that could change if the Aqua price makes sense. I do prefer the intimate atmosphere of Blu over MDR.

Your experience on Blu doesn’t sound like the norm. This was our second time and we had a great experience the first time as well.