End of an era- no more Hot Glass Show

81dollar

My DH has blown glass for 30+ years but wasn’t allowed to do anything other than watch when it was under the control of the Corning Museum. If they turn this into a guest experience he will happily pay to have the opportunity to blow glass at sea.

No doubt a liability/insurance issue.

Corning Inc. and the Corning Museum are different. Celebrity cut ties with the Museum and will remove shows from EC followed by SL. A new vendor will be doing a ‘you make glass’ style program for a fee.

It wouldn't be a very bold prediction that if that is true it will soon be followed (like the next dry dock if not sooner) by the announcement that they are replacing that with a pay for restaurant.

Corning Inc. and the Corning Museum are different. Celebrity cut ties with the Museum and will remove shows from EC followed by SL. A new vendor will be doing a ‘you make glass’ style program for a fee.

Doesn't answer my question. I've been reading this thread all along and I realize that Celebrity has cut ties with Corning currently on the Equinox and what Celebrity is replacing the original HGS with in the near future. Since the person I questioned has a friend at Corning Inc. (?) or the museum (?) I was curious what the specific reason was the HGS has been terminated from Corning's point of view.

Edited by davekathy

My friend is at the Museum and he is tactful enough not to lay blame but it was pretty obvious to me that Celebrity terminated the program.

As to the reason - my own guess is money - it costs to house and feed the artists and to run the equipment.

Those artists might have been talented but they brought in NO income to the ship.

If they can turn this into a pay to play operation it would change from a financial cost to a profit.

I don't know how long you've been sailing Celebrity but if you've watched trends over the last 5 years or so this fits with everything else. Room stewards get more cabins to clean so fewer room stewards needed - cut the CD's staff to 2 people from 5-7 and that's 5 less souls you have to feed and house, etc., etc., etc.

Doesn't answer my question. I've been reading this thread all along and I realize that Celebrity has cut ties with Corning currently on the Equinox and what Celebrity is replacing the original HGS with in the near future. Since the person I questioned has a friend at Corning Inc. (?) or the museum (?) I was curious what the specific reason was the HGS has been terminated from Corning's point of view.

I talked with my friend who has a friend in The Corning Loop. He said that it’s just too expensive to have onboard. LLP is responsible to the share holders who hold the price of the stock above all else. This is why everything is becoming/has become a revenue operation. Giving away the glass and having a charity auction simply costs the bottom line too much to be viable for the mission statement of their business.

But, the cruising must continue. See ya aboard another ship!

I talked with my friend who has a friend in The Corning Loop. He said that it’s just too expensive to have onboard. LLP is responsible to the share holders who hold the price of the stock above all else. This is why everything is becoming/has become a revenue operation. Giving away the glass and having a charity auction simply costs the bottom line too much to be viable for the mission statement of their business.

But, the cruising must continue. See ya aboard another ship!

Thanks. I won't miss the HGS. Just wish Celebrity would do something different with the space rather than what they are planning on doing. Oh yea, welcome to CC.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely disappointing to hear this, we really loved to watch the shows on our Norwegian Fjords cruise in 2016. We had the opportunity again on a Caribbean cruise and TBH, we didn't go because it was SO hot and I didn't relish the idea of going to glass blowing when I was already sweating.

I will miss that feature if it is phased out by the time we board in May for our Ireland/Iceland cruise!

On Equinox in November, it was one of the long-time glass artist's last cruise at sea. It was extremely emotional, as she had been working on ships for years, and had a lot of friends on board. The ship's singers and dancers serenaded her with "Happy Trails" on her last night.

The 3 ships are ending their programs the first 3 months of 2018. The equipment is all owned by Celebrity, so it will stay.

The glass program is being taken over by Hollywood Hot Glass: https://www.hollywoodhotglass.com

You'll see that in November (when CMOG found out they would be leaving the ships) Hollywood Hot Glass started posting about hiring and expansion on Facebook.

Definitely disappointing to hear this, we really loved to watch the shows on our Norwegian Fjords cruise in 2016. We had the opportunity again on a Caribbean cruise and TBH, we didn't go because it was SO hot and I didn't relish the idea of going to glass blowing when I was already sweating.

I will miss that feature if it is phased out by the time we board in May for our Ireland/Iceland cruise!

I have read that the Corning HGS will depart Eclipse on April 1, 2018. Hoping to catch their final shows on our March 18 cruise.

Hi

The same could be said for their main production shows then too...

"The loss-making and the profitless are left behind. But an endless array of revenue centres are always at hand.

...That's Modern LuxuryTM. Celebrity Cruises. ©"

Any chance they may be putting in a Lawn Grille like on Silhouette? I loved it on Silhouette and was disappointed when I found out it wasn't on Equinox.

Don’t you think it’s much nicer to have different things on different ships, otherwise it’s the ‘same ole, same ole’ every cruise?

That’s why it was nice going on Connie and experiencing Ocean Liners - before they took it away to add more cabins and the same specialty restaurants as on all the other X ships :rolleyes:.

That’s why it was nice going on Connie and experiencing Ocean Liners - before they took it away to add more cabins and the same specialty restaurants as on all the other X ships :rolleyes:.

While I completely agree with you on missing Ocean Lines (or SS United States etc.) on the Millennium class, they were not really different. The menu was the same as in Murano on S class.

I still just don´t understand why they replaced it with the IMHO mediocre Tuscan Grille or Qsine on other ships. They could have updated the design and also called it Murano. Murano at least offers some good and different fine dining (as Ocean Liners did before). After being disappointed in Tuscan a few times in a row we don´t think it is worth the price any more.

Maybe it´s also because to us Europeans Tuscan just offers nothing special - and we see that it is neither Italian nor Steak House ;);)

While I completely agree with you on missing Ocean Lines (or SS United States etc.) on the Millennium class, they were not really different. The menu was the same as in Murano on S class.

I still just don´t understand why they replaced it with the IMHO mediocre Tuscan Grille or Qsine on other ships. They could have updated the design and also called it Murano. Murano at least offers some good and different fine dining (as Ocean Liners did before). After being disappointed in Tuscan a few times in a row we don´t think it is worth the price any more.

Maybe it´s also because to us Europeans Tuscan just offers nothing special - and we see that it is neither Italian nor Steak House ;);)

The exact reason for the change, given to us from a senior officer, was that they felt "Tuscan appeals much more to the American clientele."

Olive Garden of the Seas, IMHO.

Don’t you think it’s much nicer to have different things on different ships, otherwise it’s the ‘same ole, same ole’ every cruise?

I do like different things on different ships. However, all specialty restaurants on the Equinox are the same as Silhouette with exception of Lawn Grille (which is the one I didn't get to experience).

I do like different things on different ships. However, all specialty restaurants on the Equinox are the same as Silhouette with exception of Lawn Grille (which is the one I didn't get to experience).

If you have the opportunity to sail on the Silhouette or Reflection-try the lawn grill-.. Our favorite celebrity restaurant.

From Celebrity's site specific to the Solstice, but also on various other page:

The Hot Glass Show

Don’t just appreciate art, experience it. Witness the incredible art of glassblowing with intimate live demonstrations. Head to the Lawn Club on your first day of the voyage and witness a live glassblowing show. Guests can also book a Hot Glass Class hosted by expert instructors from our partners, Hollywood Hot Glass - where they will guide you through your own glass creation to take home.

We were on the Eclipse in December for our first experience with the hot glass show. It was interesting once or twice, but that was about it. We noticed that the number of people attending the show decreased significantly towards the end of the cruise. And the prices for the pieces during the auction were nuts (imho)

If this is a cost cutting measure that allows X to continue offering us the Classic alcohol package and gratuities for free, I'm all for it.

Edited by jkgourmet

From Celebrity's site specific to the Solstice, but also on various other page:

We were on the Eclipse in December for our first experience with the hot glass show. It was interesting once or twice, but that was about it. We noticed that the number of people attending the show decreased significantly towards the end of the cruise. And the prices for the pieces during the auction were nuts (imho)

If this is a cost cutting measure that allows X to continue offering us the Classic alcohol package and gratuities for free, I'm all for it.

They are not free!

Equinox has the Asian restaurant (silk harvest) vs Qsine on the Silhouette!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums