Best Season For Mediterranean?

gjkov

We are looking at a Mediterranean cruise (Venice to Rome) late April/early May 2019. We would be interested in everyone’s thoughts if that is a good time of year to visit this region? Weather, crowds, etc? Would Fall be better?

Due to heat issues, our personal preference is mid to late April and October. While weather is alway a question the crowds are not - it is just overwhelmingly crowded during the summer months. I just read somewhere that Santorini will be limiting cruise ships due to overcrowding. I can't imagine a more beautiful island that becomes miserable because there are too many people ashore.

Never in Summer. To crowed, schools are out. Don't forget that besides the ships the locals are on vacation too. Southern port can be very warm and humid mid summer. Late spring can be ok if the weather cooperates. Spring can be rainy and sometime very cool/cold.

IMO the best time is from late September until end of the season in October. Weather is usually dry and cool. It is never cold. Crowds are gone, shops have end of season pricing.

Just to add, I hope that the ships return to Turkey soon. Some of the best ports in the med.

J

It really depends upon what temperature you prefer - cooler or warmer. I checked two sites for average weather in Venice for May (here is one http://www.holiday-weather.com/venice/averages/september/ ) and compared May to September. May's average is around 5 degrees cooler on one site and has a couple more days of rain. The difference is really minimal. It also depends upon whether you are going early or late in the month (whether it be May or September). Our personal preference is May because everything is new and fresh (trees getting new leaves, flowers, etc) and we do appreciate the cooler temperatures. Also, there is three more hours of sunlight in May than in September.