Beaches on St. Maarten

Beukeboom

Someone on my roll call said there is a bar at Club Orient that had opened. We frequented Kontiki Club but I don't believe they and many others have opened.

On a recent January cruise, we had a nice day at the Dutch beach across from the port. Seas were calm. Only thing, there was still debris in the ocean floor, so wear water shoes. Yes - there were plenty of vendors, but a simple "no thank you" worked fine.

If you do stop there. please don't stay on board. The locals are very nice, are so happy to have tourist back and could really use your vacation $$.

enjoy

m

Club Orient bar? I don't think so..there's no Club Orient community in operations now..there's no buildings left..

I can believe the 3-5 years it will take to rebuild the FAR side of the island. (got to check my spelling over before I hit send.

That's interesting that St. Maarten has been bypassed recently too.

We were in St. Maarten in August last year, and spent some time on Pinel Island. It took a bit more to get there (some kind of boat ride), but it was very nice and there weren't any vendors. THere is a bar/restaurant and a gift shop (the food is not cheap)...but the beach chairs were reasonably priced, plenty of spots for kids to play in shallow water and just oerall pleasant. We have NO other experience on St. Maarten, so I can't compare. But we really enjoyed it...assuming it still exists!

We did an excursion to Pinel Island last year while on Oasis and loved the island and the day at the beach. We were somewhat disappointed in the excursion itself though because for the almost $100 per person we paid, nothing was included other than the bus and water taxi to the island. Chairs were extra, drinks were tasty but overpriced for the small size, and food was extremely overpriced. We did not eat there so we cannot speak to how it was. There is another restaurant and bar on the island around the bend but we did not venture over there.

Multiple tour groups will arrive there as the day goes on so getting there early was key to getting a good seat.

Otherwise, the beach and water were beautiful! Cocktail tables in the water to stand and drink at. The 30 minute bus ride to and from was scenic and the driver was a great tour guide.

There is at least one beach bar operating at south end of Orient Beach - Perch Lite - yes, it is affiliated with Club Orient - and it is on the Club Orient Beach, which is clothing optional. (Only the southern third of Orient Beach is clothing optional.) It is not accurate simply to state that "Orient Beach is a clothing optional beach." The majority of Orient Beach is not clothing optional. I believe that as of today there is at least one other beach bar operating on Orient, just north of the clothing optional beach. Things are changing day-to-day on Orient, so if you do not have good up-to-date information, it might be best to avoid giving advice.

Just spent the last 10 days on Orient Beach. Perch Lite, on Club O (Clothing Optional), is open as are 2 other bars on the non clothing optional side, saw plenty of cruise ship visitors and taxis waiting to take people back to the ships.

Just spent the last 10 days on Orient Beach. Perch Lite, on Club O (Clothing Optional), is open as are 2 other bars on the non clothing optional side, saw plenty of cruise ship visitors and taxis waiting to take people back to the ships.

Glad to read that a few other clubs are opening. Do you recall which clubs have opened? We generally stay on the topless optional side ( less than 5 % of women are topless) , and have enjoyed Kontiki Club.

No topless (or nude) on the Dutch side beach.

Thanks.M

We were at Karakter beach last week (2/1). Chairs and umbrellas were free. Great little bar/restaurant. Beers were cheap, Pina Coladas and nachos were great. Bathrooms are new. The beach is small, and gets no cruise ship groups. The water was great - some big waves at the shore, but beyond those it was very calm. Cab was $20 each way for 2 of us.

Neither the Dutch side nor the French side aren't what they use to be yet.

Seems it's harder to find gentle water for swimming.

Several people on a ship's beach excursion were hurt badly enough to be taken for testing. Mostly lots of really bad bruising.

We were in St. Maarten in August last year, and spent some time on Pinel Island. It took a bit more to get there (some kind of boat ride), but it was very nice and there weren't any vendors. THere is a bar/restaurant and a gift shop (the food is not cheap)...but the beach chairs were reasonably priced, plenty of spots for kids to play in shallow water and just oerall pleasant. We have NO other experience on St. Maarten, so I can't compare. But we really enjoyed it...assuming it still exists!

We’ve been to Pinel Island twice in the last 5 years and love it! I have no idea what it looks like now tho.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are there decent places to snorkel along Orient Beach? We may be bringing our own equipment so anywhere close to shore would be ideal.

Not much decent snorkeling close to shore along Orient, Best would be off shore roughly out from where access road just north of Club O (clothing optional) beach is. If you are willing to swim the one-third mile from beach over to Green Cay (the small islet out from south part of Orient Beach) there is good snorkeling along north western side of Green Cay. You have to be comfortable in open water swimming to swim over to Green Cay from beach and be conscious of any jet skis or other things operating between beach and Green Cay. In calm water not a difficult or bad swim for a good swimmer.

No topless (or nude) on the Dutch side beach.

Not sure what specifically you mean to refer to. Topless is legal on dutch-side beaches generally, although it is extremely rare on Great Bay beach (the beach closest to port) and not common on some popular beaches such as Dawn, Mullet, or Maho. Cupecoy is the dutch-side officially tolerated clothing optional beach. (If you know the terms, there is some disagreement whether Cupecoy is officially or unofficially tolerated as clothing optional - but it is well known as the dutch-side "nude beach."

Do any of the orient bars have chairs and umbrellas available?

I'm looking for a beach on St. Maarten where the water is calm enough to swim. I don't want to be pestered by people selling stuff.

Mullet Bay is calm enough to swim, has some snorkeling on the south end, and you will not be pestered by people selling stuff. There are chairs and umbrellas available to rent as well as a makeshift bar-b-que set up for lunch and drinks. It is a 'no frills' beach, but absolutely gorgeous.

We just returned from St. Maarten....the island is still a mess. Orient beach looks like a war zone. They do not have power but ran a generator. ALL of the building are still there in total rubble. There is still debris everywhere. It was so sad to see. I would say you may see some improvement by November but not much has been done in 5 months. I really think the cruise lines need to be more transparent regarding how bad the island is.

St Maarten is a great port stop. I hope that they are able to recover quickly from the hurricane. Maho Beach is amazing for watching the planes. The French side is very interesting. We liked it better than the Dutch side. Marigot was a very beautiful little town with great views from the fort. Not sure about Orient Beach since we were traveling with kids and the clothing optional stuff scared us away.

No worries about "clothing optional" The Club Orient beach section that had signs posted as to entering a nude beach was leveled completely after the hurricane and hasn't been rebuilt. Orient Beach is a wonderful beach where nude sunbathing is not allowed. ( so the sign says) but the beach is still not back to the way it was and wont be for quite sometimes.

Mullet Bay is calm enough to swim, has some snorkeling on the south end, and you will not be pestered by people selling stuff. There are chairs and umbrellas available to rent as well as a makeshift bar-b-que set up for lunch and drinks. It is a 'no frills' beach, but absolutely gorgeous.

Should I just bring cash for these rentals/food? How much? Thanks!!

Should I just bring cash for these rentals/food? How much? Thanks!!

For $15 you get two beach chairs and an umbrella for the whole day.

You can find everything you need to know on TA here:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g1606588-d546416-Reviews-or10-Mullet_Bay-Sint_Maarten_St_Martin_St_Maarten.html

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g147352-d7799377-Reviews-Daleo_s_Snack_Bar-Mullet_Bay_Sint_Maarten_St_Martin_St_Maarten.html

Joe

Halifax,Canada