Warning: Azamara cancels our cruise two days out: Gaurantee is not a guarantee

lahore

lahore - Curious to know if you have received your cabin assignment and had access to luggage tags and EZPass?

Hi, I did receive my cabin assignment. It’s 4044 which is an ocean view and fine for us. We normally have a balcony or small suite but we knew when we took the ‘guarantee’ that would would have to accept an inside so all is well there. The only problem I have with the room is that used to work in China and 4044 is a VERY unlucky number which I never believed until I had a hotel room there that ended in 4 and everything possible went wrong!. I’m hoping that the ‘bad luck’ component has passed!

As for luggage tags and EZ pass, yes they did send another set but I can’t print them off at the hotel without some hassle so I’ll just deal with it at the pier, the local rep said she’d sort that for me. I do still have the original set of course.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

.....I practically felt a "class-action lawsuit" coming on from all of us in the CruiseCritic who experienced the second-hand trauma as had it been me, I would have definitely lost my mind!

Don’t worry, I did lose my mind. I still didn’t sleep last night for the second night in a row even though everything is sorted now, just too much adrenalin coursing around. Once I actually get on board I will probably sleep for the first 48 hours! I feel pretty haggard just at the moment I can tell you.

To everyone: I won’t have time to address every kind comment and every insightful comment in relation to business practices that have been made on here before I embark. I also want to try to put this behind me for the duration of the cruise, but once I disembark I will write back and let you all know how everything went, and with the benefit of hindsight make some reflections.

Thank you all so very much once again, most especially Bonnie.

For those of you who were on board, here is a photo from our hotel room of Journey coming into Sydney yesterday. 7eefe3baa13ea33bde5272a9b2aca3cb.jpg

If anyone is interested in how a different cruise line handles oversold situations, search the Oceania board for "move over offers".

I've also noticed an unusually high number of comments on a Princess FB page about move-over offers this summer. Some with only a few days notice. But they have always been offers, not the sort of thing Lahore had to endure. Perhaps Aussie cruising is more popular this season and less people are cancelling at the last minute than the cruise lines expect.

Lahore, I'm so pleased for you that you are getting your cruise after all that stress, and I hope Azamara do comp you the fare. And remember, 4 is unlucky in China but you're in Australia so it doesn't apply here. Now if it were 13 ...;)

Have a great cruise. I hope they treat you like royalty! :*

A happy ending, but the drama should never have occurred.:evilsmile:

Enjoy your cruise.:D

lahore,I came late to this thread after learning about it today from a new post from MMDownunder on the Australia and NZ boards. MM noted that it had a "happy ending to a sad story". However I was shocked when I discovered that the OP on the Azamara board was you, and had tears in my eyes reading through the story - even though I already knew it was somehow resolved. I cannot possibly imagine how you two must have felt. I cannot add anything to this thread that hasn't been already said better by others here. However, when you do check in again please know that I join them all in wishing you and your DH a wonderful cruise (Also so sorry to hear of his health issues).

To Bonnie (BBMacLaird) from Azamara. I am one of the (largely) silent majority on Cruise Critic - and I think that people might be surprised at how large that seemingly uncommunicative group is. (Number of views versus actual posts gives a clue - when I just looked this thread has over eight thousand views but only about 150 posts..)

DH and I cruise often but you would not know it from my posting history,especially as I don't always join a roll call. Azamara has been on our radar, because we really like the small R ships and have been on the Oceania and Princess versions. In fact we met lahore and her DH on an Oceania cruise some years back.

So I was pleased to see that Azamara has someone like you, Bonnie, who monitors Cruise Critic - and responds when one of Azamara's customers has been badly treated! One of the things which impressed me when I first booked a cruise on Oceania (in 2011 or thereabouts) was that then CEO actually posted on the board. That hasn't happened for some years, and reading some current threads on that board, maybe it is time that Oceania also had their own "BBMacLaird". And in fact - many other cruise lines too! There are a lot of members of the silent majority on CC who cross a cruiseline off their list when they read something like this thread.

lahore,I came late to this thread after learning about it today from a new post from MMDownunder on the Australia and NZ boards. MM noted that it had a "happy ending to a sad story". However I was shocked when I discovered that the OP on the Azamara board was you, and had tears in my eyes reading through the story - even though I already knew it was somehow resolved. I cannot possibly imagine how you two must have felt. I cannot add anything to this thread that hasn't been already said better by others here. However, when you do check in again please know that I join them all in wishing you and your DH a wonderful cruise (Also so sorry to hear of his health issues).

To Bonnie (BBMacLaird) from Azamara. I am one of the (largely) silent majority on Cruise Critic - and I think that people might be surprised at how large that seemingly uncommunicative group is. (Number of views versus actual posts gives a clue - when I just looked this thread has over eight thousand views but only about 150 posts..)

DH and I cruise often but you would not know it from my posting history,especially as I don't always join a roll call. Azamara has been on our radar, because we really like the small R ships and have been on the Oceania and Princess versions. In fact we met lahore and her DH on an Oceania cruise some years back.

So I was pleased to see that Azamara has someone like you, Bonnie, who monitors Cruise Critic - and responds when one of Azamara's customers has been badly treated! One of the things which impressed me when I first booked a cruise on Oceania (in 2011 or thereabouts) was that then CEO actually posted on the board. That hasn't happened for some years, and reading some current threads on that board, maybe it is time that Oceania also had their own "BBMacLaird". And in fact - many other cruise lines too! There are a lot of members of the silent majority on CC who cross a cruiseline off their list when they read something like this thread.

Well said. I am new to cruising and have my first Celebrity cruise booked for June. I have followed this thread with horror. What a shocking PR example of what not to do and the power of social media.

I’m glad that all ended well in this case but am extremely concerned at this corporate behaviour and the stress it has caused a loyal customer

Penny

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With all the issues that Lahore had to go through with respect to her booking - I am now greatly concerned as I too have booked a "guarantee" for the Syd-Sing cruise leaving on 7 March. We have been allocated a and provided with that stateroom number. But if this unfortunate issue could happen so easily to another cruiser what is stopping this from occurring to me and in fact anyone else who has booked a guarantee stateroom. I am feeling very anxious by the events that occurred to Lahore and until I am finally on board Journey I will feel at unease and not comfortable with my decision of choosing to cruise with Azamara.

Please everyone fingers crossed that this occurrence does not happen to anyone else two days out from a cruise.

I am so glad the issue for Lahore has been resolved but the anxiety and stress that she would have been going through is not something anyone should go through - when we book a cruise we should be all smiles and laughter from the moment we book until the end of the cruise (then of course tears are allowed because the cruise is over, and we must go back to cooking, washing, work etc..).....

I would love some assurance from Azamara this was an an anomaly and is not the usual way Azamara conduct themselves)....

Cheers V.

It is not the 'usual way Azamara conduct themselves' -- search this forum for other examples; you won't find any. But search other cruise line forums and you will find examples. My TA is able to place a courtesy hold for days at a time while I make up my mind -- any cruise line would be crazy NOT to oversell slightly because there will always be last-minute cancellations like that. What should make the guarantee situation more worrisome for Azamara passengers is: (1) the small size of the ships means there are fewer potential takers of 'move over' offers; and (2) the focus on destination and immersion itineraries means that switching to another cruise is rarely a case of different dates for the same experience. People are asking why Azamara didn't try asking for volunteers -- we have no evidence that they weren't doing that but getting no takers. All that being said, since YOU have a cabin assignment you should feel safer. But in the future remember that Guarantee fares are only offered when the ship is basically sold out, so the chances of a cancellation are always there.

Hello Emma! Long time since we were on Oceania Nautica in the Suez Canal having lunch in the buffet that day we met. Thank you for your empathy for me, and your wishes for Jon who is slowly recovering.

Everything you said is so true, for me it worked out in the long run and this message comes to you from my cabin on Journey.

For others who are reading this please know that I have had verbal confirmation from RCCL Australia that as Bonnie said this cruise will be complementary.

Seriously every cruise line needs a Bonnie. Obviously I would say that from a customer‘s point of you given my situation but also from their own point of view to protect their online reputation. As my friend Emma points out their have been over 8000 interactions with this thread, that’s a serious impact.

For me, as I said before, I feel fully compensated. Now I need to get on with the business of enjoying my cruise. The very first reflective outcome for us is that we will never buy another guarantee again on any cruiseline. That’s my first lesson. The second is gratitude to the universe that it all worked out and I am now in a good position, and the very worst thing that can happen to you in relation to a cruise is much better than life for many people. I wish The best for everyone else. Over and out for now.

Please excuse if there are multiple typos this is done talking into my phone ...

Seriously every cruise line needs a Bonnie. Obviously I would say that from a customer‘s point of you given my situation but also from their own point of view to protect their online reputation. As my friend Emma points out their have been over 8000 interactions with this thread, that’s a serious impact. ...

Hi lahore. So good to hear you two are in your cabin, and can just relax now and enjoy the cruise.

I took the liberty of doing a "cut & paste" from your post just to emphasize how important it is for a cruise line to have someone like Bonnie monitoring social media these days. The figures I cited are similar across every board on CC - vast numbers of "views" from the Silent Majority compared to the numbers who post. For that matter who knows how many eyes are looking at their sibling site Trip Advisor since there are no stats given there for "views". With so much choice in the marketplace people are so easily turned off a cruiseline, a hotel, a restaurant...We are guilty of this too because there are two cruiselines (one river and one ocean) which we crossed off our list due to serious mishandling of certain issues as posted on CC. Without ever having sailed with either. A measure of any company is, of course, how they handle a situation when something goes wrong.

Happy Sailing...

I was horrified to read of your situation. As one who am open to trying new cruise lines I can honestly say that Azamara has sunk to the bottom of my list. I will be sure to cite this incident as to why I wouldn't recommend it to others. I wish you many happy sailings on other lines.

Oh my goodness Iahore. I couldn’t possibly know how this feels but I can only imagine that you are beside yourself and in total dismay at what your next plan of action could possibly be. I really hope you can at least salvage your trip somehow and enjoy it the best you can under the circumstances.

I would be curious on how they handle this situation with you on this matter, keep us informed.

That happen to us many years ago with our entire family packed and leaving for airport the next day.

That was with Princess and yes it was a booked cabin.

So you paid for a cabin, a specific cabin (had the cabin number etc.) and you got canceled the last minute? My 25th cruise is coming up soon and we’ve never had an issue. Did Princess explain what happened?

Really beyond words now. I am sitting in the airport about to board a flight to Sydney. ‘Our cruise’ leaves on Thursday, it is Monday afternoon. I booked a ‘guarantee’ (what a joke) cabin and paid in full months ago, on Azamara Journey. I just received a phone call from Azamara US that they don’t have room for us on the ship and our ticket is cancelled. Can you imagine? I kid you not. I’ve had move over offers before from Princess, but this is not that. TWO. DAYS. Less than. Don’t ever book a gaurantee with Azamara.

My 25th cruise is coming up soon and we’ve never had an issue but we always book specific cabins as I’m very particular as to what location I wish to be on the different ships. Is this problem unique to when you allow the cruise line to choose the cabin for you? I’d have heart failure if I got notice when en route to a foreign port!

Hello Emma! Long time since we were on Oceania Nautica in the Suez Canal having lunch in the buffet that day we met. Thank you for your empathy for me, and your wishes for Jon who is slowly recovering.

Everything you said is so true, for me it worked out in the long run and this message comes to you from my cabin on Journey.

For others who are reading this please know that I have had verbal confirmation from RCCL Australia that as Bonnie said this cruise will be complementary.

Seriously every cruise line needs a Bonnie. Obviously I would say that from a customer‘s point of you given my situation but also from their own point of view to protect their online reputation. As my friend Emma points out their have been over 8000 interactions with this thread, that’s a serious impact.

For me, as I said before, I feel fully compensated. Now I need to get on with the business of enjoying my cruise. The very first reflective outcome for us is that we will never buy another guarantee again on any cruiseline. That’s my first lesson. The second is gratitude to the universe that it all worked out and I am now in a good position, and the very worst thing that can happen to you in relation to a cruise is much better than life for many people. I wish The best for everyone else. Over and out for now.

Please excuse if there are multiple typos this is done talking into my phone ...

Sorry for the delay, as I've spent the day at Coogee, but I just wanted to say that Bonnie works for Azamara and, if she said you would be receiving complementary cruises, that would be good enough for me. I met her on my Azamara Journey cruise in December and she is a wonderful representative of Azamara, and a lovely lady as well. Rest assured, your cruise will be complementary, as Bonnie has said. I would trust her written email more than any verbal confirmation from RCCL Australia.

Haven't caught up with this thread, but delighted to hear you are in your cabin. The ship looked beautiful from the bus on Anzac Bridge today.

But in the future remember that Guarantee fares are only offered when the ship is basically sold out, so the chances of a cancellation are always there.

Then it is not a GUARANTEE. Call what it is, waitlist. I for one am disgusted at the way Azamara treated this passenger. I have never sailed on one of their ships, and now I probably will never consider them for a future cruise.

Then it is not a GUARANTEE. Call what it is, waitlist. I for one am disgusted at the way Azamara treated this passenger. I have never sailed on one of their ships, and now I probably will never consider them for a future cruise.

Then you will also have to stop considering all the cruise lines in your signature. This was not unique to Azamara. The big difference is they made it right in the end.

They had paid the money and received boarding info without cabin number. You don't pay for waitlist. It was a guarantee.

They may have made it good but the damage has been done. No Azmara for me.

Hi, I did receive my cabin assignment. It’s 4044 which is an ocean view and fine for us. We normally have a balcony or small suite but we knew when we took the ‘guarantee’ that would would have to accept an inside so all is well there. The only problem I have with the room is that used to work in China and 4044 is a VERY unlucky number which I never believed until I had a hotel room there that ended in 4 and everything possible went wrong!. I’m hoping that the ‘bad luck’ component has passed!

As for luggage tags and EZ pass, yes they did send another set but I can’t print them off at the hotel without some hassle so I’ll just deal with it at the pier, the local rep said she’d sort that for me. I do still have the original set of course

4044 is perfect mid ship and low, if you have any rough seas. I had an inside cabin near there, which I loved, and didn't feel any rough seas.

BTW I didn't receive any luggage labels. Staff in Singapore were happy to write labels and put them on my luggage for me.

Hello everyone

We have resolution! Thank you all so much for your incredible support. And this is an interesting study in the power of social media in corporate relations.

Azamara Australia just phoned me and they have now miraculously found us a cabin so we will be going tomorrow. AFAIK no other compensation for the heartache caused, but we have decided to take it because it’s the easiest option at the moment, not because we relish getting onto an Azamara ship now.

I am so tired and so emotional that I’m not overjoyed, we should never have been put through this stress in the first place. However I hope to now enjoy a cruise and relax, as was the original intention.

Bonnie, thank you for whatever you did as I firmly believe that without this board, your efforts and perhaps my contact by tweet and email to Larry Pimental we would still be sitting in the hotel wondering what to do in the next three weeks.

Could I suggest that Azamara uses this case to improve it’s processes. One should not have to raise hell on social media to be treated with respect as a customer.

Love you all. Xxx

have come in late as my phone gave me a notification about this post , glad that you are now getting on the ship and that Bonnie has helped and all the others that have tried to help makes you feel good when some thing that has been a downer turned into a good thing

I was horrified to read of your situation. As one who am open to trying new cruise lines I can honestly say that Azamara has sunk to the bottom of my list. I will be sure to cite this incident as to why I wouldn't recommend it to others. I wish you many happy sailings on other lines.

This can happen with any cruise company, as Host Jazzbeau posted. In fact this seems to be the very first time this has happened with Azamara, but has been reported on CC with other cruise lines.

It is not the 'usual way Azamara conduct themselves' -- search this forum for other examples; you won't find any. But search other cruise line forums and you will find examples. My TA is able to place a courtesy hold for days at a time while I make up my mind -- any cruise line would be crazy NOT to oversell slightly because there will always be last-minute cancellations like that. What should make the guarantee situation more worrisome for Azamara passengers is: (1) the small size of the ships means there are fewer potential takers of 'move over' offers; and (2) the focus on destination and immersion itineraries means that switching to another cruise is rarely a case of different dates for the same experience. People are asking why Azamara didn't try asking for volunteers -- we have no evidence that they weren't doing that but getting no takers. All that being said, since YOU have a cabin assignment you should feel safer. But in the future remember that Guarantee fares are only offered when the ship is basically sold out, so the chances of a cancellation are always there.

Bonnie, It is my understanding that a fully paid guarantee booking is the same as a normal booking, except cabin number to be allocated at a later date. Could you please confirm that this is the case and that a guarantee booking is not at increased risk of cancellation over a normal booking (both fully paid)? This would put a lot of nervous passengers' minds to rest.

Newbie to cruising. Have been researching different lines. Heard all sorts of great things about Azamara... But this one thread has really shaken my confidence in them.

Lahore, I am so happy it worked out in the end that you got to go and it is complimentary. Had the exact same experience happened to me, I would have a hard time decompressing from all the stress and having a good time, at least at first. I hope you and your husband are able to do that and have an awesome time. Enjoy the journey.