Hot glass show oven converting to pizza oven....?

CruzeBoozer

Can anyone confirm Celebrity will be piloting the conversion of the hot glass show oven/area to a wood fired pizza venue on one of the ships... possibly Equinox? I’ve heard of this a few times now including last February when we were on Equinox and wanted to see if anyone has heard of this?

The Glas Blowing show is being remodeled because The Corning Museum of Glas quit the cooperation.

Rumors say because Celebrity has plans to charge for the show and the museum would not go along with that.

Celebrity is looking for a new partner for the glas blowing show. People saw the place change and the rumor spread that it is also to be converted into a Lawn Club Grille as on other S class ships. However, there is no proof or statement confirming it.

The experience will not be the same, according to several who spoke with the glassblowers on Eclipse. Celebrity is looking to have a hands-on experience where passengers would get to blow glass, for a fee, and keep what they create. This wasn't what Corning was interested in providing.

the pizza oven conversion appears to be just a wild rumor.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Celebrity wanted to start charging for the hot glass show. Not because it's such a great event, but because it is very costly to them in terms of labor but also in terms of lost opportunity cost. The hot glass show consumes an enormous amount of prime space on the top deck, all for an activity that only occurs a few times per cruise and brings in no money. I'm surprised it has lasted this long, to be honest. I would much rather see them put in a Lawn Club (or better yet, a wood-fired pizzeria or smokers for BBQ!) and put the money they make back into the entertainment budget to beef up some of their other offerings.

Whatever else happens to that area, the one thing I would bet it will never be is a wood-fired pizza oven. I would be really surprised to see anyone add a wood-burning source of open flame to a modern cruise ship!

Although it might add some interesting deck games. Who will be signing up for a firewood stacking competition? :D

It doesn't surprise me at all that Celebrity wanted to start charging for the hot glass show. Not because it's such a great event, but because it is very costly to them in terms of labor but also in terms of lost opportunity cost. The hot glass show consumes an enormous amount of prime space on the top deck, all for an activity that only occurs a few times per cruise and brings in no money. I'm surprised it has lasted this long, to be honest. I would much rather see them put in a Lawn Club (or better yet, a wood-fired pizzeria or smokers for BBQ!) and put the money they make back into the entertainment budget to beef up some of their other offerings.

And what makes you think Celebrity would put the money back into entertainment. These days its more likely to go into the pocket of a few key executives as bonuses for increasing onboard revenue :(.

Hank

And what makes you think Celebrity would put the money back into entertainment. These days its more likely to go into the pocket of a few key executives as bonuses for increasing onboard revenue :(.

Hank

LOL, I don't know that they WOULD, I just meant that they COULD (and should). IMO the quality of the entertainment has slipped pretty dramatically since our first cruise on Equinox in 2011. On that cruise we enjoyed the Cirque du Soleil style show, some decent live singers, the Iron Chef competition (with cruisers as sous chefs and judges) and a guest "Star Search" type karaoke contest, along with the more typical comedians and B'way production number shows plus the hot glass. Now, more and more music is recorded instead of live, and the singers/instrumentalists are often doing double duty, singing/playing different styles of music (some of which they are not trained for). Full disclosure: DH and I are professional opera singers, so we have different standards for music, but thinking back on that first cruise I really see a difference, and not in a good way.

I agree ....

I loved the Hot Glass Show when I first saw it and sailed on ships with this feature 7-8 times since that first showing and never did return. It was great but it is a one and done type of show. I say, bring on the BBQ now!! I might even pay extra for that.

Can anyone confirm Celebrity will be piloting the conversion of the hot glass show oven/area to a wood fired pizza venue on one of the ships... possibly Equinox? I’ve heard of this a few times now including last February when we were on Equinox and wanted to see if anyone has heard of this?

There was a rather long thread on this topic recently.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591102

Understand that Celebrity would get rid of their over rated Hot Glass Show.

Everytime I endured this show, it was just another who fills in their time with no extra $$$ for Celebrity.

Lot's of NOT $$$ for Celebrity for the skates not to spend their nickel. For all, better off for them to not board..... Celebrity at the moment is in the process of nicely ridding themselves.

Maybe there was no better place for the squeakers to be than their inside cabin with no where else to go . :eek: ;)

It is this kind of attitude that allows Celebrity to keep raising prices, cutting quality to the bone and decreasing services.

While people like this poster applaud with their corporate fueled hands. And an art appreciation expert at that.

And never once have sailed in an inside cabin. 7 of last 9 cruises in the last 20 months or so in suites.