Carnival Panorama to be Based in Long Beach in 2019

shof515

Yup, that's why I have not re-booked Vista and have no plans on the Horizon. ;) But I would sail Panorama due to its LB location and hopefully creative itineraries. I do miss the crew that has been rolling out the new ships for the last decade but some have left Carnival.

LOL, ok, I just wanted to be sure.... We will see on the itineraries, I share your hope on that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd do Coastal Cali with San Fran/Astoria/Seattle/Vancouver. That would be an excellent trip.

I would sign up for that as well, might even do a b2b with the normal Mexican riviera cruise. Let's hope it shows up as an option....

One reason they may have sent it to the west coast is they were not expecting it. Wasn’t it only a year ago they announced the switch of panorama from p&o to carnival. So they are playing with house money by sending her to Long Beach

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival has sold out the Splendor with 882 more passengers than Miracle out of Long Beach. Clearly the market is supporting increased capacity. There was a problem with terminal capacity out of the former Spruce Goose airplane hanger. With extensive modifications to the Dome it is almost ready for the Panorama to tie up there. I passed through the Dome last week and found the Captain's Lounge delightful. It is nicely decorated and comfortable. It lacks a public address system and there should be warm macaroons and mimosas.

The city needs to provide more parking. The existing garage is too small. This weekend the Queen Mary parking lot is occupied by a Festival and attendees have filled the garage. People arriving to sail on the Splendor found no place to park. The first thing they need to do is move all port employees parking off property and shuttle them in to the facility. Next would be to provide secure economy off property guest parking with free shuttle to the port. Luggage would be checked in at that remote facility to end the schlepping of bags through the terminal. With 3,000 passengers arriving, and 3,000 departing the car loading and unloading areas need to be separated and larger than the existing area in the garage.

While I can't say anything about parking--we had a rental car in downtown LB and then took an Uber to the port--they already have free transportation to the pier in the form of the Passport bus. Granted, not the easiest thing to use if you have a lot of luggage as you're riding in a city bus versus a shuttle, but this would allow port employees to park downtown (which is fairly affordable on a daily basis) and just take that to the port.

One reason they may have sent it to the west coast is they were not expecting it. Wasn’t it only a year ago they announced the switch of panorama from p&o to carnival. So they are playing with house money by sending her to Long Beach

Maybe, but honestly, the last home port I expected to hear was Long Beach.....and I was on such a run without being wrong.....lasted almost a whole day....

Well I'm stoked for the Panorama coming to Long Beach. I don't mind the Mexican Riviera itinerary at all. I'm sure over time, it may sail to Hawaii which would be excellent. But I'm very much looking forward to 2019 now ;)

Something tells me Norwegian forced Carnival’s hand - if Norwegian wants to put new hardware in that market, so will Carnival - except Carnival is doing it year-round, not just during the shoulder season.

Obviously if Carnival continues to serve Alaska whatever ship running the route will need to do something the rest of the year. That should open up more opportunities for Hawaii (which again lines up against Norwegian) and California (may not want to compete with themselves with Princess serving that market). It could also open up some opportunities for Journeys cruises further into Mexico, or even partial transits of the Panama Canal.

Or of course, Carnival could wind up sending Legend seasonally back to Australia- it wouldn’t be the first time they’ve reversed course. Even China may be on the table since it will still be a while before the Chinese-built Vista ships are up and running (2022).

Something tells me Norwegian forced Carnival’s hand - if Norwegian wants to put new hardware in that market, so will Carnival - except Carnival is doing it year-round, not just during the shoulder season.

Obviously if Carnival continues to serve Alaska whatever ship running the route will need to do something the rest of the year. That should open up more opportunities for Hawaii (which again lines up against Norwegian) and California (may not want to compete with themselves with Princess serving that market). It could also open up some opportunities for Journeys cruises further into Mexico, or even partial transits of the Panama Canal.

Or of course, Carnival could wind up sending Legend seasonally back to Australia- it wouldn’t be the first time they’ve reversed course. Even China may be on the table since it will still be a while before the Chinese-built Vista ships are up and running (2022).

Sailing out of there in season is easy, winter is a different story, but we will see.

The parallels between the Splendor being redirected from another line to LB and what’s happened with the Panorama are striking. Let’s hope the similarities end there.

This one really surprised me, I thought for sure she’d follow Horizon’s well worn path to Miami via Europe and NY and then Horizon would move up the Coast to Port Canaveral.

The planned Horizon and Panorama inaugural season plans have both been tried before, one worked out well, the other not so much. So surprised they are going this way.

NCL and RCCL have had new ships sailing from NYC for years now. Carnival has made no attempt to compete. Now in 2019 we get the poop ship.

They might. They could add RT’s from LB to San Francisco, maybe Santa Barbara, then hit Ensenada before or after heading back to LB. They also could do Pacific Coastal’s alternating embarkation and debarkations in Vancouver.

I'd do Coastal Cali with San Fran/Astoria/Seattle/Vancouver. That would be an excellent trip.

Great news to have a new ship on the West Coast.

Most lines pulled out of California. Could not fill ships without drastically dropping fares. I don't see this lasting long.

The economy a decade ago was very different from what it is today. As mentioned above, not only are several major cruise lines sailing or returning to the west coast again, but they are bringing some of their largest and newest ships. Royal Princess, Norwegian Bliss. Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Solstice and Ovation of the Seas among others. And so far it doesn’t seem like they are slashing fares.

Long Beach Terminal totally redone, Ensenada is getting a new “Mexican Experience” facelift at the port, Puerto Vallarta is expanding it’s power of call options. What’s not to love? New ships, Margaritas and beaches! Get out there and see something! I used to live in California and have lived in Puerto Vallarta for 3 years.. we have lots to offer. Go to old town or get out on the bay. So many cruisers go to Walmart and back and say they have “been” to Puerto Vallarta ???? In any case it is great the West Coast is getting some love. A lot has to do with the widening of the Panama Canal as well.

I am excited to have the 3rd ship in this class leave out of the west coast as it will mix up the ports. I saw the video's on the new terminal on the cruise radio IG and they are 1st class. I loved the Vista and I will book the Horizon at some point in the next year. The main thing I didn't like about the Horizon is that it was the same exact ports as the Vista. So It will be nice to mix it up with different ports and leave out of the west coast.

Great news for us who fly to ports and consider LB “home.” Also multimillion dollar improvements to Ensenada coming. Looking forward to the transatlantic booking to open up. Good for Long Beach. It’s a great city.

Agreed. I am definitely looking forward to the West Coast being shown some love after 20years and saving my wallet on airfare. It's long overdue.:cool:

Super excited! I’m super surprised they’re finally sending us a brand new ship, can’t wait to sail on her!! ...Now let some of the negative comments begin lol! [emoji849]

Excited here too. The p*ss on Cheerios crew will I'm sure be along shortly.;p

It will be interesting to see what the actual plan is for Ensenada. If they plan a full Port Mahogany buildout, this makes some sense to me. The Mexican Riviera is limited by the lack of credible alternate itineraries. I think the economy back in '09 has a meaningful impact, but it's still a tough sell beyond a regional draw.

I say book it while you can.

Most lines pulled out of California. Could not fill ships without drastically dropping fares. I don't see this lasting long.

Says cruzeluver all the way from South Carolina.

Makes perfect sense being a CA expert located in SC.