THe RIVIERA.....EXTREMELY disappointed!!!

Europeantraveler1

From what I have seen and read most people do not like Jamaica. Not safe at all. I would not get off the ship there. Do not know anyone that loves it. Good luck. :(:(:(

Surprisingly, I've read posts on CC where people have said they liked/loved Jamaica.

I had a scary experience on my first trip to Ocho Rios, Jamaica, in 1989, and said I'd never go back or I'd just stay on the ship. Well.....a few months ago I was on a Western Caribbean cruise that stopped in Falmouth. I wasn't going to get off, but my friend and I found a great all-inclusive resort where we spent a wonderful day with a delicious lunch buffet, great pools and a swim-up bar.

A change of itinerary is always annoying specially for those of us who book a cruise based on the itinerary. On Celebrity we get a refund if we do not visit a port. The refund is in the amount of the port fee for that particular port. I do not know how Oceania handles this.

Ivi

We are elite plus on Celebrity and are still waiting for 2 or 3 port charge rebates over the years. We (and others) brought it up once and the customer service desk just laughed.

I have to disagree. This is our third Oceania trip on Riviera and we also took Regent Voyager last year. This trip was disappointing pretty much from the beginning. One of the main destinations was Punta Cana - that port was exchanged for San Juan. We were only told the night before that we would not be going into Punta Cana due to weather. Also I agree with the posters comments about lesser cruise lines with far cheaper pricing than Oceania having priority docking. The same thing happened to us in Malta last year. Celebrity was right at the dock and Oceania had to tender. Even MSC was in the dock.

The other issue is why not another port option???? Surely there could have been another stop somewhere instead of aimlessly slow cruising just to fill up the third day. Why couldn't we have gone to Key West or even back to Miami for an overnight so that those passengers from cold climates could have had some time in Miami? While one poster stated he was happy to be away from the cold weather, I live in Miami and really wanted to see the Leeward Islands.

Someone mentioned St. Kitts was not a good destination and stated he didn't like Antigua - I don't know where that was coming from at all. It was the most gorgeous stop we made. Obviously he must not have gone to Nelson's Landing or up to the highest point where you can see the most amazing scenary of mountains and lagoon.

If I had been on Carnival or NCL or RCL I would have not expected more but with Oceania and the prices we pay - Penthouse level I feel that the changes were very unfair. The seas were NOT THAT BAD. I believe they must just be afraid of lawsuits by the many very elderly and mobility challenged guests on that sailing.

I am rethinking the other two Oceanias back to back I have booked for the Med. kkmiausa

Most if not all of the Caribbean islands depend on ships to bring them just about everything you find in a supermarket for your daily existence and also of course heavy equipment etc. If a Harbour Master gives preference to cargo ships over cruise ships for dock space it is totally understandable.

Missing ports due to weather conditions is common. We have missed more than our share. The Captain made a call based on your safety. I suggest you stop worrying about this and enjoy the remaining couple of days of your cruise. And I totally agree with other posters that there is not much to see on St Kitts anyway.

Perhaps kkmiausa should familiarize herself with the Ticket Contract she agreed to when she purchased her ticket -

"The Ship, either before embarkation or at any time thereafter and whether or not required by any maritime necessity, may remain in port, proceed by any route and deviate from or change the advertised scheduled or intended route at any stage of the voyage and may proceed to and stay at any places whatsoever, although in a contrary direction to, or outside of, or beyond the usual route, one or more times, in any order, for loading or discharging fuel, stores, laborers, stowaways, guests, or members of the Ship’s company, for this, or any prior or subsequent voyage and/or for any purpose whatsoever that We, as Carrier, or the Master may deem advisable."

Which basically says that the company (Oceania) or the Master (the Captain) may make ANY changes to the schedule, itinerary, ports, etc at any time that they feel it to be advisable. And, BTW, this same contract, with slight variation in wording, is what you agree to any time you book a cruise.

Perhaps kkmiausa should familiarize herself with the Ticket Contract she agreed to when she purchased her ticket -

"The Ship, either before embarkation or at any time thereafter and whether or not required by any maritime necessity, may remain in port, proceed by any route and deviate from or change the advertised scheduled or intended route at any stage of the voyage and may proceed to and stay at any places whatsoever, although in a contrary direction to, or outside of, or beyond the usual route, one or more times, in any order, for loading or discharging fuel, stores, laborers, stowaways, guests, or members of the Ship’s company, for this, or any prior or subsequent voyage and/or for any purpose whatsoever that We, as Carrier, or the Master may deem advisable."

Which basically says that the company (Oceania) or the Master (the Captain) may make ANY changes to the schedule, itinerary, ports, etc at any time that they feel it to be advisable. And, BTW, this same contract, with slight variation in wording, is what you agree to any time you book a cruise.

That says it all

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is frustrating when some ships are able to dock and others must tender. I can understand your disappointment at not being able to see St. Kitts but it really is not Oceania's fault. Even though they couldn't get a docking position, they certainly would have tendered if it had been safe.

I don't understand why some posters do not like St. Kitts. We aren't fans of the Caribbean (except for the gorgeous water) and stopped in four Caribbean ports on our way to and from the Amazon a couple of months ago. St. Kitts was our favorite by far (we did not stay by the ship where the tourist places are). They have medical and veterinary training hospitals on the island and many beautiful things to see. We would return to St. Kitts if we were in the area and if we could avoid the other ports that, In my opinion, were not worth getting off of the ship to see!

That says it all

Every cruise line gives you the same language and warnings in the fine print. But Oceania makes more cancellations of ports, changes to ports than any other cruise line i Have ever sailed. One of the main reasons I have put them low on my list.

Every cruise line gives you the same language and warnings in the fine print. But Oceania makes more cancellations of ports, changes to ports than any other cruise line i Have ever sailed. One of the main reasons I have put them low on my list.

Thank you!!! I don't know why people on this forum attack anyone who does not make glowing comments about Oceania! We have spent over $26,000 on our two Oceania Riviera cruises since last May and another $12,000 plus on Regent Voyager last June. I had also booked 2 more Rivieras for June and early July at over $19,000. We always get Penthouse 1 and upgraded the Regent to Penthouse level with butler service. As I stated I have been loyal to the brand praising it over Seabourn. But that does not mean that EVERY cruise is up to standards! Because of the issues on this last cruise and a few incidents last May with regards to Oceania tendering when not supposed to while other lesser lines are right up front at the docks makes me think that they are just trying to cut corners in dockage fees. Even in Nassau we were the farthest from the entry to Nassau while we walked past RCL, Carnival and even MSC! Point being we want what we pay for and I do not feel that that standard is now being met. I can't believe how rude several of the posters here are to anyone who does not agree with you. *By the way - I only come here after I have cruised or while cruising, while these SAME people seem to be here day after day defending Oceania. Makes me wonder if they have a life. But you will not stop me from stating what I feel.

They have medical and veterinary training hospitals on the island and many beautiful things to see..

Maybe Travelcat,but we were very upset to see men at the dock with monkeys in nappies,on chains,

People from the 2 large cruise ships having their photos taken with them.Really distressing.Will never step foot on there again.

Thank you!!! I don't know why people on this forum attack anyone who does not make glowing comments about Oceania! We have spent over $26,000 on our two Oceania Riviera cruises since last May and another $12,000 plus on Regent Voyager last June. I had also booked 2 more Rivieras for June and early July at over $19,000. We always get Penthouse 1 and upgraded the Regent to Penthouse level with butler service. As I stated I have been loyal to the brand praising it over Seabourn. But that does not mean that EVERY cruise is up to standards! Because of the issues on this last cruise and a few incidents last May with regards to Oceania tendering when not supposed to while other lesser lines are right up front at the docks makes me think that they are just trying to cut corners in dockage fees. Even in Nassau we were the farthest from the entry to Nassau while we walked past RCL, Carnival and even MSC! Point being we want what we pay for and I do not feel that that standard is now being met. I can't believe how rude several of the posters here are to anyone who does not agree with you. *By the way - I only come here after I have cruised or while cruising, while these SAME people seem to be here day after day defending Oceania. Makes me wonder if they have a life. But you will not stop me from stating what I feel.

You have every right to feel/express your opinion...but not to the point of INSULTING others un-necessarily. Your comment about people who are here day after day,is absolutely un-called for. I am in my second year of being an observer and occasionally participant of this board and if I'm not on vacation, read most of the posts every day . And those people you refer to , are the most helpful ones to new comers and others, and they have a life, NOT that it has to be justified by you....and they CRUISE frequently.... SO ,please try to show deserved respect

No one is defending Oceania. We are simply stating the obvious. Missed ports are to be expected. Your outrage is misplaced. We would say the same about any complaint about any missed port on any cruise line.

Nine Oceania Cruises ,one missed port

Someone mentioned St. Kitts was not a good destination and stated he didn't like Antigua - I don't know where that was coming from at all. It was the most gorgeous stop we made. Obviously he must not have gone to Nelson's Landing or up to the highest point where you can see the most amazing scenary of mountains and lagoon.kkmiausa

That was me....and I'm a "she", not a he.

My friend and I (2 women traveling alone) did not feel safe in those places. There were very aggressive men swarming us. We are very experienced travelers and have learned to follow our gut feelings, be discerning and use caution when in a strange place alone.

So....there's "where that was coming from!" ;)

... with regards to Oceania tendering when not supposed to while other lesser lines are right up front at the docks ... we were the farthest from the entry to Nassau while we walked past RCL, Carnival and even MSC! Point being we want what we pay for ...

Apparently You are fixated on $$MONEY$$ ... you mention in detail just how much you pay for your cruises and the fact that you upgrade to Penthouses, butlers, etc. Somehow, you feel that, since you paid 'X' dollars for your cruise that makes you superior to those on what you classify as "lesser lines"! Wake up ... smell the coffee ... your money doesn't make you any better than any other passenger on ANY ship ... including those "lesser lines". I'm assuming that, since you never seem to sail on those "lesser lines", you are not aware that there actually are staterooms on those "lesser lines" that cost far more than what you paid on Oceania and ... using YOUR criteria ... THEY are better than you and your ship and THEY should get preferential treatment in docking locations.

Your attitude paints you as being one of those "entitled" passengers. Someone who, because they paid more for their cruise, should get preferential treatment over those in lower categories ... YOU should get preferred seating and get served first in the MDR ... YOU shouldn't have to stand in line behind any "peons" ... and YOU expect that any crew member should be at YOUR beck-and-call before helping any of the "lesser" passengers. Sorry, things don't work that way! If YOU don't enjoy Oceania and the way they "park" their ships (which, BTW, is NOT at their discretion and is strictly decided upon by the port authorities) ... then DON'T SAIL ON 'O' ... and leave us to enjoy what we consider to be a VERY nice cruise line. And, please note, YOU won't be missed!

Ships, and this goes for ANY SHIP, of any size from any Line, do not choose where they are berthed in a Port. The harbormaster from the port authority assigns their place.

Those assignments are designated based on the needs of the ship (i.e, do they need to load water, supplies or fuel, offload waste, or get repaired).

With ships shifting ports like mad because of the hurricane, it is likely that the vessels which you saw at dock had needs which superseded those of Riviera.

Disappointing perhaps, but nothing that could be controlled by Oceania. Rivieras' Captain may or may not have been informed of the reason for the change.

Ships are only seen as point to point transportation on a transatlantic crossing. Otherwise, they visit ports via what are known as yachting privileges. The trip is what one is buying, not the ports (which is what it says all over the brochures, the website and the cruise contract)

Some of you folks need to read this post again, and let it soak in.

There's other factors at play also, like many of those cruise lines are putting multiple ships in those ports day after day, where Oceania might stop in season, once a week or so. There's a lot of senority going on.

Apparently You are fixated on $$MONEY$$ ... you mention in detail just how much you pay for your cruises and the fact that you upgrade to Penthouses, butlers, etc. Somehow, you feel that, since you paid 'X' dollars for your cruise that makes you superior to those on what you classify as "lesser lines"! Wake up ... smell the coffee ... your money doesn't make you any better than any other passenger on ANY ship ... including those "lesser lines". I'm assuming that, since you never seem to sail on those "lesser lines", you are not aware that there actually are staterooms on those "lesser lines" that cost far more than what you paid on Oceania and ... using YOUR criteria ... THEY are better than you and your ship and THEY should get preferential treatment in docking locations.

Your attitude paints you as being one of those "entitled" passengers. Someone who, because they paid more for their cruise, should get preferential treatment over those in lower categories ... YOU should get preferred seating and get served first in the MDR ... YOU shouldn't have to stand in line behind any "peons" ... and YOU expect that any crew member should be at YOUR beck-and-call before helping any of the "lesser" passengers. Sorry, things don't work that way! If YOU don't enjoy Oceania and the way they "park" their ships (which, BTW, is NOT at their discretion and is strictly decided upon by the port authorities) ... then DON'T SAIL ON 'O' ... and leave us to enjoy what we consider to be a VERY nice cruise line. And, please note, YOU won't be missed!

Looks like someone forgot their mood stabilizer.

Where O parks their ships has nothing to do with the perks that the highest suites get on board. Like most things in life you pay more you get more. They will not let you sit in the first row at the ballpark unless you pay for it. You pay for Coach that is where you sit, not in First Class. Just the way it has always been and will continue to be. I do not worry where we will dock and will continue to have a great time on Oceania no matter what cabin we are in. :):):)

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Oceania carries many thousands of passengers every year and, as you've noticed, there are a handful who post here frequently. So it's a minuscule proportion. I would image that more would participate but a couple of the regulars are rather delicate and can't seem to respond to opposing opinions without having a child-like meltdown (like the one a few above this post). So we get the same voices over and over while others with different experiences clearly stay away.

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Oceania carries many thousands of passengers every year and, as you've noticed, there are a handful who post here frequently. So it's a minuscule proportion. I would image that more would participate but a couple of the regulars are rather delicate and can't seem to respond to opposing opinions without having a child-like meltdown (like the one a few above this post). So we get the same voices over and over while others with different experiences clearly stay away.

I think one of the best things about Cruise Critic is that we can have opposing opinions. We need to hear both sides of an issue and then see for ourselves which one fits us. Or even parts of both. Never know when we might even change our minds. Safe sailing :):):)

Agree that some of the posters here fiercely defend Oceania and bash anyone who disagrees with them. While I understand defending the cruise line that you frequently sail (and I do defend Regent when I feel they are being unfairly bashed) it should be done in a polite way.

On the other side of the coin, "regulars" on Cruise Critic should, In my opinion, be applauded for repeatedly answering the same questions for people new to Oceania (or other cruise lines) on a daily basis. Seeing them/us every day isn't a bad thing ........ being rude is.

While reading through this thread again, I did see things in a slightly different light. I assume that the ships in port at St. Kitts were paying dramatically more money in port fees than Oceania since those are very large ships. This could be yet another reason why they were not permitted to dock. Again, Oceania can't help this situation

janecambridge - agree with you - we would be upset to see what you saw on St. Kitts. However, we don't judge an entire island, city, state or country based on a few idiots since everywhere has them. We found the people (away from the port) very kind and polite which is something that we did not find in other Caribbean ports.

I really feel like my opinion did not count here just because I gave an honest answer to the original poster who was on the same cruise at the same time. If you would take the time to look back on my numerous other reviews you would find glowing reviews of Oceania!! The reason I stated how much we had spent with them is to show that we were frequent cruisers on that line and had been happy to pay what we did for a premium line. Like I said, not every cruise is perfect and I did see a deterioration in the performance this time. If they were pushed out because other ships were paying more, then it should not be advertised that the port was not a tendered one. This was only a 10 day cruise out of Miami. I live in Miami so day one I could not really count as a cruise day. There were only 6 ports on this cruise from the beginning. Because of the hurricane Punta Cana had been subbed for Puerto Rico and was one of the main reasons we chose this trip. We didn't get to Punta Cana because the captain said the weather was windy. So we ended up in Puerto Rico. No one had booked excursions there because it was not supposed to be a port at all. Yet we had a wonderful day scheduled for Punta Cana with our friends. Next stop Nassau which we had been to numerous times and we were the farthest berth from the docks. No big deal. We had to wait a long time to tender in to St. Barths because they let the people who took ships tours first. I understand that. However, by 10:30 those tours should have been well underway yet it still took us until noon to get off the ship and tender in. Next two stops were great - St. Johns and St. Lucia. Then we went all the way to St. Kitts just to be advised at 8:30 a.m. that we were not going to go ashore and instead head back to Miami. Again like the original poster said - it was not supposed to be a tendered port. If they have to pay more, maybe they should just state up front that due to costs we have decided not to dock and will tender. At least that would be more accurate. And like last year at Malta, we tendered when not supposed to while way lesser ships were docked.

I think everyone has a right to review their cruise. Obviously I only responded because the poster had brought up the issue. We still have 2 more cruises booked with Oceania. I just feel that cuts have been taken and cruisers should be aware and it is not fair to attack someone who brought up problems. Again I did not want "preferential treatment because of the money I spent" but I spent more to cruise with Oceania than someone on Carnival or MSC and expected better.

Agree that some of the posters here fiercely defend Oceania and bash anyone who disagrees with them. While I understand defending the cruise line that you frequently sail (and I do defend Regent when I feel they are being unfairly bashed) it should be done in a polite way.

On the other side of the coin, "regulars" on Cruise Critic should, In my opinion, be applauded for repeatedly answering the same questions for people new to Oceania (or other cruise lines) on a daily basis. Seeing them/us every day isn't a bad thing ........ being rude is. (I feel they are rude to the other poster! which is why I responded as I did)

While reading through this thread again, I did see things in a slightly different light. I assume that the ships in port at St. Kitts were paying dramatically more money in port fees than Oceania since those are very large ships. This could be yet another reason why they were not permitted to dock. Again, Oceania can't help this situation

janecambridge - agree with you - we would be upset to see what you saw on St. Kitts. However, we don't judge an entire island, city, state or country based on a few idiots since everywhere has them. We found the people (away from the port) very kind and polite which is something that we did not find in other Caribbean ports.

My point is they could help the situation! If they had to pay more they should take that into consideration when charging for the cruise. Or just say we are tendering most ports to keep your prices lower.