Norwegian price increases

swanmark

I hate this bundled pricing. I don't like the drink packages that add the gratuity and have very limited wine selections. I don't use the internet while on ship. The NCL excursions are way overpriced.

then you have the choice to go with the basic rate and see if it is any or much cheaper. As for the UBP with the gratuities, it is still a great deal for those who enjoy a few drinks each day. Whether you pay in the package or you just pay per drink, the gratuities will be automatic, so what is the difference? internet, we don't use it much either. As for the tours, I so agree with you, but I still like the idea of having everything paid for prior to sailing.

I'm with you. There is no such thing as something for nothing. They increase the price of the cruises and "give" you some "freebies".

Before I book, I go on NCL web site and go through the process of "booking" a cruise. After I have made my cabin selection and go to the page that list the price and the prices with the "freebies"; I check the bottom line.

I select the cruise without any "freebies" and check the bottom line price.

Then I select a couple of "freebies" that show the same price until you go over to the bottom line. If you have selected the UBP you will notice that the price is a couple of hundred dollars more. And, unless you consume the amount of alcohol that would add up to that extra fee you should pass on the UBP.

You will see increase of couple hundreds of dollars (for two fares) because you have to pay alcohol tax which is 18% and changing to 20% on the package. It is still a great perk because full price of the package is $79 per person per day.

You won’t see any increases if you choose free WiFi (250 mins), or discount on excursions etc.

I'm with you. There is no such thing as something for nothing. They increase the price of the cruises and "give" you some "freebies".

Before I book, I go on NCL web site and go through the process of "booking" a cruise. After I have made my cabin selection and go to the page that list the price and the prices with the "freebies"; I check the bottom line.

I select the cruise without any "freebies" and check the bottom line price.

Then I select a couple of "freebies" that show the same price until you go over to the bottom line. If you have selected the UBP you will notice that the price is a couple of hundred dollars more. And, unless you consume the amount of alcohol that would add up to that extra fee you should pass on the UBP.

You will see increase of couple hundreds of dollars (for two fares) because you have to pay alcohol tax which is 18% and changing to 20% on the package. It is still a great perk because full price of the package is $79 per person per day.

You won’t see any increases if you choose free WiFi (250 mins), or discount on excursions etc.

Hi Guys, wanted to ask a question, is it me or has anyone else noticed that Norwegian prices have increased dramatically since last year, I was on the Epic last May in the Haven, and it cost £1800, this year it’s £3400, and we were on the star in September, we had a mini suite for £1200, this September a balcony is £1800, I can’t see why this type of increase is justified?

Yes

then you have the choice to go with the basic rate and see if it is any or much cheaper. As for the UBP with the gratuities, it is still a great deal for those who enjoy a few drinks each day. Whether you pay in the package or you just pay per drink, the gratuities will be automatic, so what is the difference? internet, we don't use it much either. As for the tours, I so agree with you, but I still like the idea of having everything paid for prior to sailing.

The so called basic rate doesn't work for us. I have tried that.

The gratuities on the UBP are based on a highly inflated value that NCL places on it. I think it is something over $70 per day. Celebrity doesn't charge gratuities on its beverage package. I don't thing Royal does either. If we pick the UBP we could easily pay a total of almost $400 in gratuities for a 14 day cruise for the two of us. We drink mainly wine and spend less than that for a 14 day cruise.

It may work well for heavy drinkers, but not for us.

I loved our MSC cruises, but be prepared to pay for more things you usually see included with NCL. I also think their statuses (even Black) don’t provide much in terms of benefits. Pricing is usually great though.

NCL (and cruise pricing in general) have taken a giant leap upwards the last couple of years.

"Real" deals seem to be getting harder and harder to find, I am talking deals in the region of $50 per person per day.

In 2016 we did 7 cruises, in 2017 we did nada but at least so far this year we have managed to nab 3 (although we have

to admit that we upped our strategy to $60 per person per day).

The only exceptions seem to be the longer repositioning cruises.

We have 4 CruiseNext certificates left that we may have to offload on ebay or craigslist as they expire soon.

The so called basic rate doesn't work for us. I have tried that.

The gratuities on the UBP are based on a highly inflated value that NCL places on it. I think it is something over $70 per day. Celebrity doesn't charge gratuities on its beverage package. I don't thing Royal does either. If we pick the UBP we could easily pay a total of almost $400 in gratuities for a 14 day cruise for the two of us. We drink mainly wine and spend less than that for a 14 day cruise.

It may work well for heavy drinkers, but not for us.

If it works better for you not to book with the UBP than don't. Just do what works for you. BTW, I am almost positive RCI does charge gratuities on drinks, but I could be wrong.

We had friends that just did the Panama Canal on princess, did not do a package and were floored with their final bar bill.

NCL (and cruise pricing in general) have taken a giant leap upwards the last couple of years.

"Real" deals seem to be getting harder and harder to find, I am talking deals in the region of $50 per person per day.

In 2016 we did 7 cruises, in 2017 we did nada but at least so far this year we have managed to nab 3 (although we have

to admit that we upped our strategy to $60 per person per day).

The only exceptions seem to be the longer repositioning cruises.

We have 4 CruiseNext certificates left that we may have to offload on ebay or craigslist as they expire soon.

Our Sunday travel section today had a column about the cost of cruising compared to other vacations. It stressed, even with added gratuities it is still a bargain vacation.

Our Sunday travel section today had a column about the cost of cruising compared to other vacations. It stressed, even with added gratuities it is still a bargain vacation.

Some land-based all-inclusive deals are starting to give cruises a run for their money.

Last month we spent 4 full days in Cabo at an all-inclusive resort including return airfare from LAX and car rental for the entire

stay and we paid $329 per person, taxes/fees included!

Some land-based all-inclusive deals are starting to give cruises a run for their money.

Last month we spent 4 full days in Cabo at an all-inclusive resort including return airfare from LAX and car rental for the entire

Some is a keyword. Our 7 days nice AI which we paid around $1k pp, are all now around $2k.

In both Dominican Republic and Mexico

Completely false.

My post was not entirely accurate. I checked the Celebrity website and found that an 18% gratuity is added when a beverage package is purchased.

I have never purchased a beverage package while cruising on Celebrity, but I did remember that when be beverage package is included in your Plus price no gratuities are added.

I found this statement on a promotion regarding a package:

Classic Beverage Package for Two option applies to two guests per stateroom andincludes beers up to $6 per serving; and spirits, cocktails, and wine up to $8 per serving, all soda selections, fresh squeezed and bottled juices, premium coffees, teasand non-premium bottled water and server gratuities (amount based on gratuity guidelines). Premium Beverage Package upgrade available for an additional chargeof $11.50 per person, per day which includes gratuities by contacting Celebrity Cruises.

I think the key anymore is to either book way out or if you can chance a sail last minute potentially without perks, wait till then. They still have some deals for USA bookings. I got a two week med 10/24/19 on the Jade, pretty loaded with perks ie distinctive voyage, plus free at sea and free extra guests and $300 obc for $5949 pp for a Haven penthouse. The sf suites (full suite same perks just no Haven) are around $4500. Got my adult kids ocean view for $1899 pp. this far off and over half the suites are already gone. Once they sell to a certain point then pricing goes way up and at that point an upsell bid is best you can hope for. The 2018 sailings have probably sold to a point that the pricing has gone way up. For uk bookings it looks like the ai packages bumped up the pricing.

You got great pricing. I just checked on ten night cruise in med on Jade and it was around $4500 for PH in Haven

I stayed in AI last week in Antigua. $370 per night for a pretty large suite with kitchenette and living room. Five Restaurants on site, three pools, two beaches and a host of other stuff

I stayed in AI last week in Antigua. $370 per night for a pretty large suite with kitchenette and living room. Five Restaurants on site, three pools, two beaches and a host of other stuff

Dec 2017 booked Bliss to Alaska for September 2018 for Haven PH Courtyard $6049. January 2018 price went up to $6349. Was I happy I booked when I did. Feb 01 price down $15, Feb 08 price down $235, Feb 13 price down $300, Feb 16 price down $200. Now paid $5299. These are pp before fees and gratuity. Even with the price drop there are still 15 PH left on deck 17. As far as I can tell only 3 are booked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You got great pricing. I just checked on ten night cruise in med on Jade and it was around $4500 for PH in Haven

Surprisingly they haven’t raised the prices on the sf, se and sc suites for the 10/24/19 sailing yet. Four sf’s left. Better grab one. I think you did the Jade similar sailing previously in an sf. This one only has one sea day and an overnight in Venice. This particular Jade sailing has the distinctive perk plus some obc and free at sea. $100/port excursion credit for potentially 12 ports.

Some is a keyword. Our 7 days nice AI which we paid around $1k pp, are all now around $2k.

In both Dominican Republic and Mexico

exactly and people do not always consider things like entertainment, seeing more than one place during the vacation etc. Yes, there will always deals on AI but $ for $ is what the writer was talking about. I certainly am not trying to start a debate over which is the better deal, I am just mentioning the article which I found interesting.

I loved our MSC cruises, but be prepared to pay for more things you usually see included with NCL. I also think their statuses (even Black) don’t provide much in terms of benefits. Pricing is usually great though.

I think you are referring to the numerous "experiences" MSC sells its cabins under? If that is the case it really is more ala carte which some people prefer because you can "buy" what you want and not things you don't want. Their YC experience is very inclusive and we didn't spend for anything else on the ship other than the simulator experience. Included more things than Haven or suites do on NCL.

We were in a suite on the Star in 2016 and paid less than $6,000 for 6 of us! The last two cruises we booked were nowhere near that low. Another part of the price difference for us is that they no longer cover the specialty dining and drinks for everyone in the cabin, just the first two guests.

I think you are referring to the numerous "experiences" MSC sells its cabins under? If that is the case it really is more ala carte which some people prefer because you can "buy" what you want and not things you don't want. Their YC experience is very inclusive and we didn't spend for anything else on the ship other than the simulator experience. Included more things than Haven or suites do on NCL.

OK, if you are in YC it might be different. We had regular balconies both times.

I was seriously amazed when on Divina (and Poesia?) right by the pool they installed crepery and started to sell crepes with Nutella! Many ships have per fee restaurants or restaurants alacarte, but they are not in your face... and something primitive like crepes with sweet fillingd if prepared are just a part of a buffet offerings