No more cruising for a while.

Sadly and unfairly (in my opinion), the classless and the lazy are ostracized.

Hath not a classless and lazy passenger eyes? Hath not a classless and lazy passenger hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as a formal dresser is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?

Apparently, not on a cruise ship. The classless and lazy passengers should be lucky they are fed at all (preferably hidden in their cabins!)

Seriously, I hate reading all the complaints about how people dress. Read them and so I didn’t bring anything dressy on one of my cruises!! I felt horribly underdressed and it was the so-called fashion police of this board who led me to believe nobody dressed up! I’ve gone back to doing what I do and not worry about anyone else. In my opinion, most people look “classy” at dinner!

Perhaps "lazy" was a poor choice of words. Probably "lack of class" would have been more appropriate.

If you received a wedding invitation, or any invitation and the instructions were to wear "formal attire," you would adhere to the request, out of respect, right? I sure would hope so.

A cruise is no different. Formal attire is instructed for MDR on formal night. That's the whole purpose of said formal night. Don't like it, go to the buffet.

I'm aware my statements will cause a backlash, but if you don't like formal nights, perhaps Carnival is more your cup of tea.

IMO big difference between being invited to a wedding or a social function where there is no $ investment on my part except a gift, and dinner on a cruise ship. If someone else is paying, they have every right to request I dress a certain way.

All cruise lines are going casual - dress up if you wish, but stop holding on to the the remnants of the past and don't expect everyone to dress according to your standards. I personally wouldn't have any problem with "formal" nights if the cruise lines really enforced them, but since they don't, it's time to let it go.

And your money.

When I go out to dinner on land it is also my money. But if the restaurant has a jacket policy for men, and I don't want to wear a jacket, then they'll tell me to take my money and shove it.

I get it, it's your money, it's your vacation, but that doesn't mean you are entitled to make the rules.

I made the statement that I did because I find it interesting that people on this message board get very offended when the topic of dress comes up. For "not caring what other people think," cruise critic readers sure do feel the need to let us all know what THEY think about what they wear. ;)

When I go out to dinner on land it is also my money. But if the restaurant has a jacket policy for men, and I don't want to wear a jacket, then they'll tell me to take my money and shove it.

I get it, it's your money, it's your vacation, but that doesn't mean you are entitled to make the rules.

I made the statement that I did because I find it interesting that people on this message board get very offended when the topic of dress comes up. For "not caring what other people think," cruise critic readers sure do feel the need to let us all know what THEY think about what they wear. ;)

And there you have it - if a restaurant has a dress code, they enforce it. Cruise lines don't. Rules that aren't enforced are worthless and I believe most ships describe dress codes as "suggested."

It's true a lot of people do tell those who dress casually that they're lazy, low class, sloppy, etc. Live and let live.

If the cruise line had a RULE, then it would be followed. Fortunately they only have suggestions, so we can have some leeway.

Seriously, does anyone ever start a thread here to complain about people dressing up? The reactions to those who dress up are almost always from those who don't and have been talked down to by those who do.

Picture this: A dining room, crystal chandeliers, and all, just like a 5 star restaurant. Wait staff all dressed up and ready to serve, like a 5 star restaurant. Full table setup, like a 5 star restaurant. The doors open and who comes in? The Beverly Hillbillys and Duck Dynasty wannabes. Modern Luxury at it's finest.

Since the dress code is just a suggestion, dry swim suit, t-shirt, and flip flops should be o.k. "It's my vacation and I'll dress anyway I want" works for me.

OP - The simple fact is cruising has evolved as has life. Walk into the most revered restaurant( ie expensive) and look around. You will see jeans, tee shirts, tank tops, ball caps, sneakers etc. It is the world we live in - not cruise ship exclusive.

As for service - my first cruise was 25 years ago on the Oceanic ( Big Red Boat). It had 1500 passengers and my porthole cabin was huge - and the dinner service was excellent. But, there was nothing to do on the ship!

Years later in 2001, I cruised on Celebrity Infinity- a 10 day Hawaiian cruise when the ship was brand new. We paid more for that cruise then my upcoming RCCL Anthem 9 day cruise. Can anyone say the cost of a land vacation compares to 17 years ago?

Mass Market Cruising is cheaper than ever and cruise lines are focused on activities and the total on-board experience. Serving meals to 5500 passengers does not allow for much after dinner lingering and chatting. When the Symphony arrives, the crew will serve 6700!!:eek:

The fact remains while cruise ships have something for everyone - folks who do not rock climb, Ifly, ride North Star and drive Bumper Cars may want to look at the ships that focus on more service oriented experiences.

Like yourself as a Pinnacle member i know that I could have brought a very nice house with the money spent with Royal.

Over the years I have spent Tens of Thousands of Pounds ( and Dollars ) on Cruising and other fun activities involving Wine, Women and Song, the rest of my hard earned money I have just wasted. :D

Can't buy a house where I live for those 700 nights cruising.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sounds like you need to try another cruise line ... maybe Princess or Celebrity.

You can always go back to RCCL if it turns out you like it better. :)

Of all of your sailings, which line was the most luxurious? Which one is your favorite?

Seabourn was the most luxurious. Regent was really nice. I preferred Regent to Seabourn because the passengers tended to be friendlier and the atmosphere more country club casual. We had a great time on Azamara as that line was casual and the staff was friendly as well as professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

About Formal Night dinning I have noticed cruising out of US and Australia the dress code seems to have gone BYE BYE but the ones that depart from the UK a lot of men are seen wearing tuxedos having a pre-dinner aperitif then after a very nice single malt.

Englishmen are just better ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just on Princess and formal night there for men was a long sleeved shirt with a collar and buttons and long pants that were not blue jeans. I wore my Filipino barong and got many positive comments about my nice shirt plus thumbs up from the Filipinos I saw. I'm thinking everyone in a tux or coat and tie would have only made it uncomfortable in the South Pacific.

Did you really take a picture of another cruiser at dinner? and you think they are the offensive ones?

Lol.

I would say the guy in the sweaty vest is the most offensive.

We had an Indian family where the dad wore a damn string vest into the MDR.

Yes it did bother me. But then I’m a little bit weird when it comes to rules.

I think it’s a fallout from spending too many years in the Navy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try Princess or celebrity as it sounds like you are bored and tired of Royal. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have only done a single Princess cruise, but I found it 7 years ago to be worse than RCI today in all ways. I haven’t done Celebrity for 18 years and we really liked it a lot, but it is a lot like HAL... that would be old and boring, but stylishly so.

If I went on a cruise only to eat, and that was the only thing I counted, I would bite the bullet and spend a fortune to go on the high end lines, because in my experience none of the lines, I am willing to pay the price for excell in food. On each and every line I have sailed, it is hit or miss on the food. Even expensive specialty restaurants are hit or miss. However, I do not sail for just the food, and I love food and I am a foodie and I am someone when you get an invite to dinner it is going to be really good, there is no cruise line who compares to RCI with the shows, they are the best on the Seas, they are not as good as Broadway or the West End, or even Vegas, but they are head and shoulders over other cruise ships. There are simply no ships other than RCI that have flowriders, or IFly or bumper cars or anything that an adult looking for a challenge to conquer to sail.

Now if all I cruise for was to get hammered NCL and free drink packages would be #1. If you want to get a Las Vegas flavor of shows with girls showing a PG13 amount of flesh then Carnival would be a good choice. If you want to spend a small fortune but have the kids or grand kids hang with Goofy, the DCL would be your choice. ETC. ETC. ETC. to quote Yul Brynner as the king of Siam....

The simple fact is we all get jaded.... if something doesn’t do the trick to make you happy it is time to move on. We do a lot of different vacations, although, I will admit we are in a cruise groove at the moment. But even so, I spend about 1/2 my annual vacation time doing land vacations. We are headed to Miami to play golf at the Blue Monster for a week in a couple of weeks. We are going to Napa Valley in August for a week to play golf and get stupid signing up for wine clubs that we will inevitably regret, and then we are renting an RV to go to Denali for 6 days before booking a cruise to sail back to the northern 48 (almost Vancouver), and then we are flying to Europe to go to Monaco and the south of France for a week prior to doing the TA on the Symphony, where I will be able satiate my desire to ride the flowrider for 12 glorious days across the Atlantic.

Be active don’t fall into the routine trap and enjoy life. There is no perfect meal, cruise, job, wife/husband, child, or anything, but even the ones that are just short of perfection are wonderful if you don’t try to highlight the imperfections but instead take joy in the moments.

Just sayin.... YMMV and IMHO....

JC

Wow, you have as much vacation time as Laura once had. But not as much as we both have now. 😁

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Have I mentioned that you suck, today???:evilsmile:

My DW, Krystal, actually, gets more vacation time than I do, but I get lots of wonderful weeks of work that more closely resemble vacation. The DW is complaining because at the end of the year she will be out and I will have some carry over days. The Blue Monster and Napa are all hard weeks of work, along with a week in San Diego earlier, and another week in Chicago coming up right after Miami.... Although Chicago in March is so un-vaction-like the Krystal goes to real work and doesn’t go with me. Plus we do lots of long weekends for Hockey, concerts and baseball. Go Cardinals, Go Blues. Sometime Go Chiefs... although I was a Rams / Cardinals guy and have to slum to KC now.

The biggest challenge is finding someone who will take care of the “White Dog” while we travel. I have a buddy from college who is 59 and never married, that will for a limited time move in as long as the fridge and bar are 100% stock, but eventually the dog (Wellington) will wear him down and I have to find back-up on our longer trips.

The downside, of my job is I had to tell five employees today that the place where they worked would be closing soon, but if they wanted to relocate..... we would find them a home. Truly a sucky day that started at 3AM when I couldn’t sleep any more.

JC