Safety in Barcelona?

SJS

My sister and I have a cruise booked for next year that sails out of Barcelona. We've never been to Europe or flew international so it's very much out of our comfort zone! I just read an article about safety in Barcelona that is making me second guess this cruise. Will two women in their 60s be safe? Can we trust the hotel safe to store our passports and extra cash? Appreciate any feedback from those that have been there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I agree with Bob - we never felt unsafe but also kept a mindful eye on surroundings. As long as you are keeping an eye out and keeping track of your stuff, the thieves will notice and move on to an easier target.

We were there for two days before a TA and one night on La Rambla we noticed one guy on a cell phone checking out the back pockets on a tourist. Another time while riding the Metro there was an announcement that there were pickpockets on our train and be mindful of our stuff - at the next stop we saw two guys get off and sit down to wait for the next train.

My sister and I have a cruise booked for next year that sails out of Barcelona. We've never been to Europe or flew international so it's very much out of our comfort zone! I just read an article about safety in Barcelona that is making me second guess this cruise. Will two women in their 60s be safe? Can we trust the hotel safe to store our passports and extra cash? Appreciate any feedback from those that have been there.

Most hotels have safes in the rooms but worth checking with the hotel first.

There are 100s of hotels in the city and beach area to choose from.

Las Ramblas has lots of outside restaurants and shops.

We have stayed many times and never encountered any problems but pickpockets are about so don't wear jewellery or carry to much cash around.

Having been to Barcelona, I recommend to the ladies who carry purses, invest in the Pac Safe products. Also when carrying purses, Cameras etc, hold unto the straps, loop over your head & and keep items in front of you. We walked all over Las Ramblas in the evening and had no problem but as Bob & others said, be alert. I also carried a small pouch under my clothing for limited $ and a credit card. Rest stayed in a safe at the Hotel. https://www.pacsafe.com/ These products can also be bought at Amazon or E Bags.

I was in Barcelona for the first time last November. And also read all about the pickpockets and what not. I was traveling mostly solo and meeting friends on the ship. I never felt unsafe even walking the Ramblas coming back from my paella cooking excursion at 9pm. Maybe I was crazy but it was a fun evening. This was my first international trip across the pond as well. Go and enjoy you won’t regret it! Read up on the Spain boards lots of great info there. Highly recommend Segrada Familia if you have the time simply amazing!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a small pouch that goes around my neck. It holds my cell, a little cash, a photocopy of my passport and a credit card (not the one I’m using for the cruise). Living near Manhattan and having spent time there since I was a kid has taught me to be very aware of my surroundings so I usually feel pretty secure.

The main risk is pick pocketing type of stuff. You need to be very diligent on this. They are experts and work in teams but they surely pick on what looks like easy targets so look aware and vigilant. I’ve witnessed this stuff there and i’m sure I’ve made eye contact with potential theives. At that point they go elsewhere.

Barcelona is known to be one of the worst in Europe. Use common sense as described on this thread and you will be fine. if you don’t carry much to lose you can’t lose much.

I never felt physically unsafe anywhere we went but i am a relatively tall and well built guy and my wife and I are careful. I wouldnt go wandering down a dark street at night etc. just be very aware of your surroundings just as you would in a city like NY or New Orleans and you’ll be fine. I find large euro cities to be the least worrisome from a physical safety perspective. My only worries involve pick pocketing etc.

Just go and be smart about it. You will have fun and it is a great city to visit.

What hotel are you staying at? Ours did NOT have a safe in the room (a one bedroom suite at the Hotel Colon). We were gutted.

Agree with the pick-pocketing risks. You should check things out online, either You Tube or travel websites concerning pick-pocketing "schemes" and such. Having said that, there were a few times when I felt uncomfortable but we were not going to let that deter us from enjoying one of the most fabulous cities in the world!! Barcelona is magnificent. I recommend a Hop On Hop Off bus tour. :)

The main risk is pick pocketing type of stuff. You need to be very diligent on this. They are experts and work in teams but they surely pick on what looks like easy targets so look aware and vigilant. I’ve witnessed this stuff there and i’m sure I’ve made eye contact with potential theives. At that point they go elsewhere.

Barcelona is known to be one of the worst in Europe. Use common sense as described on this thread and you will be fine. if you don’t carry much to lose you can’t lose much.

I never felt physically unsafe anywhere we went but i am a relatively tall and well built guy and my wife and I are careful. I wouldnt go wandering down a dark street at night etc. just be very aware of your surroundings just as you would in a city like NY or New Orleans and you’ll be fine. I find large euro cities to be the least worrisome from a physical safety perspective. My only worries involve pick pocketing etc.

Just go and be smart about it. You will have fun and it is a great city to visit.

I am in Barcelona 3 times yearly. Don’t let the scare mongers scare you off. You are smart ladies, use common sense. You are safer there than La, Chicago or NaY. Have fun it’s a great city. If you have time visit Monsorat, Sitgis, and La Segrida La Familia. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was in Barcelona last year for a conference and often took the subway around alone to get to meetings and dinners. I have a Travelon travel handbag that I wear cross body (it is built with anti theft security functions and I bought mine on Amazon for about $35). I was conscious in crowded situations - and had no problem. Don’t keep anything in your pockets and hold on to your bag. But that is true anywhere. It is a lovely city and I felt quite safe.

While we were in Barcelona it was a little cool so most days I had a light jacket on. I kept my cross body bag on under my jacket. I could even keep a hand on it at all time while my hand was in the jacket pocket.

Just be aware of your surroundings.

One big thing they warn you about it someone knocking your drink over or spilling something on you, one person comes to help you clean it up and a second person is the thief. If you run into anything like that keep them away and refuse their help.

We have 2 more trips booked there, so we felt safe enough. Really an easy place to get around on your own.

I am in Barcelona 3 times yearly. Don’t let the scare mongers scare you off. You are smart ladies, use common sense. You are safer there than La, Chicago or NaY. Have fun it’s a great city. If you have time visit Monsorat, Sitgis, and La Segrida La Familia. Have fun!

If you think my post was scare mongering you read it wrong. I think I said pretty much what you did but with a more detail. Neither of us have any idea how much they have travelled but from reading their post they clearly seem better off having an understanding of what to be aware so they can be “smart tourists”. Not everyone has long history of travel experience.