The age old question....River Cruise or Med cruise? Decisions..Decisions!!!!

etravel

So up in the air for our 35th anniversary trip next year (we will both be 59 then and are pretty active)!! Looking at two great choices (wish I could do both, and maybe someday will!) of the Avalon Legendary Danube (2 nights pre in Prague) or the new Celebrity Edge on their Western Med....I know the Edge of course would be beautiful and new and flashier, and makes some great stops..We have done Oodles of cruises, mostly Caribbean and Mexico so the thought of an Avalon cruise with 160 people is refreshing and attractive as well! Avalon visits some great cities on the Danube including Prague, Nuremberg, Vienna, Passau, Budapest..the only thing perhaps holding me back on the River Cruise is the thought of the very low key evenings and wondering if we might be bored...So anyway, any thoughts perhaps from those who have done both and have some insight? Thank you in advance...

Yes, apples and oranges is correct. We have done four Med cruises and the fact that we have done four should tell you we really like them. We are busy from sun up til late at night and have seen some wonderful places. On the river cruise we were less active in the evening. Entertainment is not quite up to what it is on the Med cruises. We found that not a lot of people wanted to wander back into town after dinner. That said, we are planning another river cruise this summer.

But, they are very different. I would suggest picking what you want to see and what comes in second this year might be first next time.

Yes, apples and oranges is correct. We have done four Med cruises and the fact that we have done four should tell you we really like them. We are busy from sun up til late at night and have seen some wonderful places. On the river cruise we were less active in the evening. Entertainment is not quite up to what it is on the Med cruises. We found that not a lot of people wanted to wander back into town after dinner. That said, we are planning another river cruise this summer.

But, they are very different. I would suggest picking what you want to see and what comes in second this year might be first next time.

Agree completely. River cruise demographic tends to be older. Out of say 8 nights there might be 2 nights of decent entertainment. Depending on the cruise line Med cruise evening entertainment varies widely. This last opinion based on what I've read, not experienced.

The most satisfied customers on river are those wholeheartedly into the many destination dockings. If that's not a priority, river could be boring. The best late entertainment on river is your own fun with fellow cruisers after dinner.

Having done the Danube with Uniworld and the Mediterranean(3x) with Celebrity, I can agree that they are at different ends of the spectrum, but both are great. That being said, I would choose the Mediterranean cruise for a celebration. Not sure if its a east or western cruise your considering, but in my opinion, the western Med. has the better ports, but nothing beats a sail out of Venice on the east.

Agree completely. River cruise demographic tends to be older. Out of say 8 nights there might be 2 nights of decent entertainment. Depending on the cruise line Med cruise evening entertainment varies widely. This last opinion based on what I've read, not experienced.

The most satisfied customers on river are those wholeheartedly into the many destination dockings. If that's not a priority, river could be boring. The best late entertainment on river is your own fun with fellow cruisers after dinner.

We were never worried about cruise demographics when in Europe because we are there to tour not hang around the boat. On a port day in the Med we are off the boat early, touring all day, back in time for dinner and the show and that is a full day. We found the river cruise more relaxed (read a slower pace).

Great ideas..MsKaufman....it's a toss up and maybe one this year and one the next!

The river cruise came in 2nd three times before it made it to the top. You can guess that we picked the Med (and Baltic) first.

It is possible to do both without breaking the bank.

I had booked Viking's Basel to Amsterdam route departing the end of November, 2018, and had Viking Air. I found a great deal on a 12 day Med cruise Rome to Barcelona, that ended 2 days before the Viking cruise.

I deviated my Viking Air to fly into Rome a couple of weeks earlier than the Viking sailing, so no extra air besides the deviation fee of $100. Took my Med cruise, spent the night in Barcelona. Took a Vueling flight from Barcelona to Basel for $53. Spent the night in Basel, then sailed the Viking River cruise.

It ended up being a spectacular deal.

We've sailed 14 days with Scenic from Budapest to Amsterdam and 12 days with Uniworld from Amsterdam to Basel. Yes the vibe on the ship is calmer than an ocean cruise but I think we got to know more fellow passengers on the smaller ships. The evening entertainment was much more varied that we had expected and we were surprised by the quality too.

We celebrated our anniversary on the Uniworld trip and they went out of their way to make it feel special. If it were up to me, I'd book a river cruise with one of the upscale, all inclusive lines.

Whatever you choose have a great trip and congrats on number 35!

Paul

Paul...thank you...there is something that is pulling me towards a River Cruise! And like you said if we did one of the upscale lines, I think it would be special...and I know there's not as much to do in the evenings...but would be nice not to have the crowds that are customary with the regular cruises! Thanks for your thoughts! :)

I've done two Med cruises (57 and 61) and two river cruises (62 & 63) in addition to 45+ other cruises.

I would say do the Med cruise for one reason. For me, I plan my own excursions. I found the Med ports you need to get on the roll call and set up excursions with others. tours seem to want you to put your own groups together from the same ship. Basically it requires "planning" and often a lot of walking, climbing, drinking, eating.

River cruising is great and great ports also but excursions are included, groups are small regardless at least on AMA. We only had 150 passengers but multiple tours. You wake up, walk to the dining room for breakfast, return to your room for your audio box, pick up your bus color based on your activity level, board the bus (usually no more than 30) and the guide gives a great talk about the city you are in, where you are going, etc. Each city I've been to has been a highlight which was great. You may also be able to choose a specific day tour that brings you future. But typically you are brought back to the ship for your delicious lunch and complimentary wine. Then head out again for another great tour and get back to the ship in time for happy hour or dinner.

So basically regardless of your mind, if you body is slowing down as you age, then chose your river cruise after you have done the other more active and planning intensive cruises. My adult children also river cruise with me and love it. So its not that it is for the old. But I'm glad I did the Med, Alaska, Australia, Asia while I was younger.

Thank you Linda those are good points!!! We will be 59 years old when we do one of the cruises..and we are in good shape...not too athletic but get around very well...especially my very skinny husband lol! The only thing that bothered me a bit on the Med cruise it seems like some of the ports are so far away from the town that you go to visit...some aren't so far but some are on the Western Med...seems like really long days, but I am sure very interesting..and good points about the roll call and signing up with some others to do some more independent tours! I've been to Rome and Venice with a group of about 35 high school students for a Catholic World Youth Day...now that was a busy trip!!! :)