Why do some cruisers get mad when "For Profit" companies try to make a profit?

Georgia_Peaches

So to make a profit they need to pester customers? And if they don't pester customers they won't make a profit? Hmmm.

Pretty soon we will be getting telemarketing type calls in our cabins. :o

If they want to up sell or offer products, I don't have a problem with it. Advertise them online, in their brochures and in the dailies. But don't have people hawking them like Carnival side show men at every turn. I don't want to have to refuse the up sell every time I order a drink. I hate having to run the gauntlet of these guys hawking beverage and dining packages as soon as I step on the ship at embarkation. I don't want to go to a show or demonstration on board, only to find out I have to pay for it. Entertainment is supposed to be included in the fare. Celebrity is in danger of turning into Carnival. I originally chose Celebrity because they had more class than that.

There are ways to sell these things more discretely, without becoming annoying.

I am quoting this because upon reflection it sums things up nicely for many of us who truly hope Celebrity does not become Carnival or fully Royalized.,....but see it slipping away!

On Royal Oasis we experienced having stuff pushed on us at most of the specialty restaurants..At a dress up family dinner for dh birthday, between dinner and the cake, our waiter brought out a cook book and wine tools and started a full blown sales pitch..He was dispatched quickly. Really tacky!!!!

So to make a profit they need to pester customers? And if they don't pester customers they won't make a profit? Hmmm.

Hmmmmmm ... you are adding to my words.

Nowhere did I say they 'need' to pester anyone. My words are that it is not to be entirely unexpected. I hate it as much as the next person, especially when I have to decline same offer many times.

Oh and I left out the word 'be' above... meant to say they have to 'be making' a sale now and then ....explaining why they must do it.

No, they pester people to make MORE profit. You have visited the US before, right? This is the way pretty much every company works because they're chasing short-term profits higher than the previous quarter's lest they face punishment on the stock market.

There is so much completion for your business in the cruise world, and so many choose based on 'the best price for the ship or company' they want to sail with. That's good for all of us. IF you want the extras ($500 pictures, $1,000 beverage packages, or shore excursions through the cruise line) you can choose to buy them. Be my guest. It keeps us 'purer' or 'cruise often' cruisers enjoying cheaper cruise prices, knowing some people want all those extras. Witness the mad rush for the watches and $10 jewelry out in front of the shops. Just stay away from there...it's a good time to find a beach chair, actually!

I have no trouble with people buying or not buying the extras. We just don't buy many. Plus we are shareholders in CCL and RCCL and NCLH, so it truly doesn't bother us for these companies to make good profits.

I am being a bit facetious, but it's your own CHOICE to enjoy the low cruise rates and either do or don't succumb to the upsells. There are private places on every ship where you can enjoy peace and quiet if you choose. Or say No, thanks, and walk on

Cruises are increasingly popular for families, singles, and seniors. They are the best vacation buy in the world of travel. Do it and do it 'your way'!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t really mind and it doesn’t cause me any more issue now than it did when I started cruising 16 or so years ago. I still have my wishes though and one of them is to reduce the prices in the spa. They might not need to hawk so much if they did it that. However, if they are making money from it the way it is then they have no reason to change. I have no handle on the load factors there. As for the additional items they try to sell, I now just let them know at the start of the treatment that I’m not interested.

Phil

Sure they have the right, but it is not my idea of a relaxing vacation. So I admittedly pay more to avoid it on all inclusive cruise lines. So nice not to be taking out my card and signing a chit every 20 minutes

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

Agree..

They of course have the goal to make money for their investors but incessant hawking is annoying, low class and crude! Never was that way...but Celebrity has been Royalized

My last cruise was on Princess. Drinks packages were available to buy on day 1 but were not endlessly hawked.

A classier method of selling drinks packages - JMO.

Annie

If they want to up sell or offer products, I don't have a problem with it. Advertise them online, in their brochures and in the dailies. But don't have people hawking them like Carnival side show men at every turn. I don't want to have to refuse the up sell every time I order a drink. I hate having to run the gauntlet of these guys hawking beverage and dining packages as soon as I step on the ship at embarkation. I don't want to go to a show or demonstration on board, only to find out I have to pay for it. Entertainment is supposed to be included in the fare. Celebrity is in danger of turning into Carnival. I originally chose Celebrity because they had more class than that.

There are ways to sell these things more discretely, without becoming annoying.

I totally agree with the OP. I have been on many cruises, and I have yet to experience the upsell aggravation some are complaining about. First of all, many folks are going on their first cruise and don’t know about the various drink packages or specialty restaurants. Secondly, some of you that are complaining that it wasn’t like that in the past, is because they didn’t have the various packages or specialty restaurants in the past. The OP is correct, the lines are in the business of making money for thei shareholders, and they operate on razor thin margins. On any given cruise, the difference of making a profit on that particular cruise sometimes comes down to bar sales or specialty restaurant business, it’s that close. Finally, just enjoy your cruise, yo’re on a vacation that millions wish that could take, so be Thankful.

A very interesting read from all sides. I have a slightly different view as outlined by the cruise critic classification system of mainstream, premium, upper premium and luxury brands.

A mainstream cruise line is governed by price and uses a lot of upselling to boost revenue. They target price sensitive buyers and then try to increase revenue on board. This is not a negative, it can still be a highly enjoyable vacation. There is a group of customers who will have bought into this niche, but whose service expectations are higher and have an issue with the upselling.

The other three bands offer different ratios of service to price. We can go into detail, but essentially you pay more in up front costs for increased service and included amenities.

This "ideal" view is complicated by the fact that cruise lines are competing against each other and are constantly adjusting their price/service ratios to attract the most people for their marketing niche.

A second group of customers get upset when the service levels change. This happens when the cruise line drops its service levels to adjust for prices/marketing. Complaints in this category usually come in the form of 1) "Not the Celebrity that I am used to" or 2) This cruise line (Azamara) is pricing itself out of what I can afford.

I have taken cruises on NCL, Celebrity and Azamara, and have had an enjoyable time on them all. However, I adjust my expectations to fit the circumstance.

If you feel that you are not getting good value for your hard earned money, then it may be time to look at your expectations and find a cruise line more in line with what you want. If you don't like an upselling environment, then find a company that offers the included service levels/amenities that you are expecting. If it is priced to high, then you may need to adjust your expectations.

There is a lot of variety out there. You are likely to find what you are looking for. (Apologies for the grammar).

A very interesting read from all sides. I have a slightly different view as outlined by the cruise critic classification system of mainstream, premium, upper premium and luxury brands.

A mainstream cruise line is governed by price and uses a lot of upselling to boost revenue. They target price sensitive buyers and then try to increase revenue on board. This is not a negative, it can still be a highly enjoyable vacation. There is a group of customers who will have bought into this niche, but whose service expectations are higher and have an issue with the upselling.

The other three bands offer different ratios of service to price. We can go into detail, but essentially you pay more in up front costs for increased service and included amenities.

This "ideal" view is complicated by the fact that cruise lines are competing against each other and are constantly adjusting their price/service ratios to attract the most people for their marketing niche.

A second group of customers get upset when the service levels change. This happens when the cruise line drops its service levels to adjust for prices/marketing. Complaints in this category usually come in the form of 1) "Not the Celebrity that I am used to" or 2) This cruise line (Azamara) is pricing itself out of what I can afford.

I have taken cruises on NCL, Celebrity and Azamara, and have had an enjoyable time on them all. However, I adjust my expectations to fit the circumstance.

If you feel that you are not getting good value for your hard earned money, then it may be time to look at your expectations and find a cruise line more in line with what you want. If you don't like an upselling environment, then find a company that offers the included service levels/amenities that you are expecting. If it is priced to high, then you may need to adjust your expectations.

There is a lot of variety out there. You are likely to find what you are looking for. (Apologies for the grammar).

I like how you have basically summarized the varying groups of cruise travelers. I find your description to be very accurate and agree that if one is feeling quite offended by the continuous upsell, then perhaps it is time to explore other lines whose price already includes various upsells, thus negating the need to do more once on vacation. Thank you for the very thoughtful response!