Why do some cruisers get mad when "For Profit" companies try to make a profit?

Georgia_Peaches

I know this may sound provocative and that's certainly not my intent but I do have what I feel is a very legitimate question. So often on these boards you will read complaints about Celebrity's (all lines really) attempt to up sell drink packages, peddle photograph packages, auction art, sell Botox, learn to make martinis, take a glass blowing class..etc. etc..all for an additional fee. But isn't that what for profit is all about? That's capitalism at its finest IMHO. When I go to McDonalds and order a burger they ask if I want fries with that...that's an up sell attempt. I bought a computer at Best Buy and they offered me an additional warranty...for a fee. I'd call that an attempt at an up sell. Recently, I called my cable provider to ask a question and while they had me on the line...guess what? They offered me a special rate on HBO and Showtime. That's an up sell. Why should it be any different on a cruise ship? I have found that if I am not interested in what is being offered, a simple, "no thank you" is all it takes. Help me understand why this is so infuriating to some who frequent the cruise industry.

Agree, as a simple no thank you is sufficient. We got the drinks package as a deal when we booked, but I have seen posts with people complaining they are approached about drinks packages when they set foot on the ship...

With more and more economical pressures on the cruise lines, you can’t really blame them for trying to up sell things!

If they want to up sell or offer products, I don't have a problem with it. Advertise them online, in their brochures and in the dailies. But don't have people hawking them like Carnival side show men at every turn. I don't want to have to refuse the up sell every time I order a drink. I hate having to run the gauntlet of these guys hawking beverage and dining packages as soon as I step on the ship at embarkation. I don't want to go to a show or demonstration on board, only to find out I have to pay for it. Entertainment is supposed to be included in the fare. Celebrity is in danger of turning into Carnival. I originally chose Celebrity because they had more class than that.

There are ways to sell these things more discretely, without becoming annoying.

On boarding day bar servers and sommeliers are selling packages or upgrades rather than serving passengers who already have bought the package. And you will be approached by at least 5 different people while you enjoy the ocean view cafe dining experience.

Park West now determines when the Captains Club celebration will be held because they have priority in booking the Sky Lounge. On Equinox you can have the celebration at noon prior to San Juan or 7:30 at night on a sea day. That is capitalism at its finest.....

If they want to up sell or offer products, I don't have a problem with it. Advertise them online, in their brochures and in the dailies. But don't have people hawking them like Carnival side show men at every turn......

There are ways to sell these things more discretely, without becoming annoying.

This.

Think about Disney World. There is a ton of ”upsell” there in terms of meal plans,tours, hotels, etc., but no one approaches you.

Maybe it's DW & me, but we never had an issue with pushy employees trying to upsell us on our Equinox cruise in Nov. Sure we had a couple of employees ask if we wanted to by a beverage package or upgrade ours on the first day and they took a polite "no thank you" and that was it. Never were we asked if we wanted to make a reservation or buy a dining package. As for the shops on 4 & 5, DW loves to window shop and the sales people were courteous enough and gave her space.

When I go to McDonalds and order a burger they ask if I want fries with that...that's an up sell attempt.

I remember when they brought that in, and I wasn't a fan then, and still don't like it now.

I do my research, choose what I like and then order it. So I don't like being questioned if I want something else - if I wanted it I would have ordered it already!

So you're right... it's the same thing and it's just as annoying wherever it is.

OP, once upon a time, when our telephone rang, we would always answer. The occasional telemarketer might call, and we would politely inform them that we weren't interested in whatever they were offering. Over time, these telephone pitches increased exponentially in frequency to the point where now screen all of our calls and never answer unless we know the caller. Call blocking helps to reduce the volume, but the calls are still an annoyance.

When we started sailing with Celebrity, you could walk about the ship without being accosted to buy this or that. That's no longer the case, and while a polite "no thank you" will (usually but not always) suffice, I'm tired of the sales tactics. I'm on holiday, trying to relax and enjoy myself. If I want to buy something, I know how. If I don't, I most certainly don't appreciate unwanted sales pitches. Sure, kill some more tress and place flyers in my mailbox, but please, leave me alone otherwise.

They have people hawking stuff when you get on board because a lot of people have not done the advanced work and it drives sales. In other words, it works.

Also, it was just around this time last year when Celebrity added the functionality to use OBC in advance, so there were plenty of people who had done their research and were just waiting until that first day to book everything. Still lots of people who wait until that first day to buy things.

I do understand the annoyance with being asked more than once but the person asking has no way of knowing who has or who has not approached you and about what. They would stop if it never worked. And I personally have not been asked about any up-sells after those first few hours.

We went to Eiffel tower and Montmartre in Paris. In both places, before we realized what had happened, we had somethings in our hands, we did not want. Capitalism yes! Annoying also? Another yes! It was possible to say no, but it was not effortless.

In the cruise industry, we sailed with only 3 lines: RCCL, HAL and X. If you add info received in print, info broadcast on speakers ( RCCL and HAL, mainly) and add sales people, let’s say Park West trying to entice you to an art auction... Sometimes it becomes a bit much and may interfere with a quiet walk or private discussion.

On HAL it got to a point where I would carefully choose my path to avoid what I felt was «*pressure sell or up sell.*»

On our last X cruise on Solstice, we found the level or up sell tactics used very reasonable. None on the speakers and discrete attempts for up sells, mind you, we already had the premium package.

This said, people’s complaints may have to do with expectations. The cruise industry is often perceived/marketed as selling an all inclusive vacation product. If for profit enhancement, the industry attempts to up sell too many things, it may end up killing their basic marketing argument when comparing a sea holiday package versus a land one by including less and less.

In conclusion, X did very well on our last cruise on this aspect; I sure hope things will not have changed too much for our June cruise, where we only have the classical package reserved.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Years ago, when many of us started cruising, cruises were much more all-inclusive than they are now. Sure, some things were always extra (drinks, photographs, shopping, gambling) but overall no matter what cabin you booked you had the same experience. Through the years more and more 'pay to play' options popped up. As the years progressed, they started to inundate you with little advertisements in your room encouraging you to buy this or that (even though they claim they went to an online survey to 'save the waves' - hypocrisy at its finest). Lately, those little pamphlets aren't enough. Now they call and leave messages, send messages on your TV, and stand outside stores like vultures looking for the kill. Waiters from specialty restaurants often troll the bars begging you to book with them. Ugh!

The annoyance is not a strike out against capitalism. It's about changing the experience, the ambiance of the cruise. Celebrity is certainly not as bad as some lines in this respect but it keeps going downhill IMHO in this arena. No one begrudges a company making money - they would not exist otherwise. But we don't need to like their methods. To compare it to stores, it used to be like shopping at Nordstrom. Lately at times I feel like I am in the middle of a Kmart blue light special.

Help me understand why this is so infuriating to some who frequent the cruise industry.

Various reasons. I have no issues with them profiteering but I am disappointed when they try disingenuous marketting techniques such as their 'buy one get one half price' offers which occur right after they've jacked up the prices so that you're still paying the going rate. This insults my intelligence.

At the end of the day I know they'd charge $1000 per person per night for M class inside cabins if people would pay it. Thankfully we have a free market that gives us all choices. If we don't like the prices a line charges we can just do something else. No need to get upset about it.

Agree, as a simple no thank you is sufficient. We got the drinks package as a deal when we booked, but I have seen posts with people complaining they are approached about drinks packages when they set foot on the ship...

With more and more economical pressures on the cruise lines, you can’t really blame them for trying to up sell things!

Totally agree. Lucky in this economic climate to be performing so well.

Look at how many companies (in the UK) are struggling.

I believe that people get "mad" when they see any change that they believe hurts them. They favor a policy change if they believes that it benefits them. "Enlightened self interest" is a major component of free enterprise as advocated by Adam Smith in 1776.

Various reasons. I have no issues with them profiteering but I am disappointed when they try disingenuous marketting techniques such as their 'buy one get one half price' offers which occur right after they've jacked up the prices so that you're still paying the going rate. This insults my intelligence.

At the end of the day I know they'd charge $1000 per person per night for M class inside cabins if people would pay it. Thankfully we have a free market that gives us all choices. If we don't like the prices a line charges we can just do something else. No need to get upset about it.

All sales/marketing...when a store offers you..."buy one at regular price and get a second one at 50% off", some people would think they are saving 50%; but, in reality you're only saving 25%. Same on a cruise ship! Go figure it out.

All sales/marketing...when a store offers you..."buy one at regular price and get a second one at 50% off", some people would think they are saving 50%; but, in reality you're only saving 25%. Same on a cruise ship! Go figure it out.

Unfortunately that's not how the RCL bogus 'buy one get one free' sales work though. You don't save anything and some 'offers' can even result in slight price increases compared to pricing immediately before the sale announcement.

I think what's discouraging for some people is that the cruise experience on the mainstream lines has been gradually degrading for years. It seems that in order to recapture that experience one has to step up to the luxury lines. For many, this option is not affordable and as a result people are left with a choice between cruise lines that don't offer the experience they desire and lines that they can't afford.

We want to cruise without being barraged...ship should not be like a cheap a flea market,

I absolutely agree. However, lots of people by lots of the cheap flea market type goods that are sold the last days of the cruise.

We want to cruise without being barraged...ship should not be like a cheap a flea market,

As well as too much upsell, I do believe the sales of cheap and nasty products in a market style don't fit with the 'Modern Luxury' tagline. Why is it you never see them mentioned in the brochures or on the website?

Maybe my experience with just cruises on X is different or maybe I just don't notice my surroundings enough, by on the Millie last year and the old Century many years ago I don't ever recall being approached by a bar tender or waiter or onboard store employee asking is if wanted to buy.

I am annoyed a bit by all the junk in my mailbox on the ship, but i can toss without having to say no to anyone.

My pet peeve is all the space the art sales take up. Never gone to an art auction onboard and never will. But I resent the loss of lounge space when I'm looking for nice reading or relaxing spot. Can be really hard to find on a sea day when the art takes up all the space.

As to OP, just say NO!:):)

Celebrity already made a profit when they sold me a cruise. A large part of that initial cruise marketing material shows people enjoying cocktails, romantic strolls, dining and music amidst idyllic venues or ports. The marketing materials do NOT show people being approached by no fewer than ten individuals trying to sell them drink packages or bottles of wine each day for the first three days! I contend that this is false advertising, not reasonable pursuit of profit.Yes, I can, and do, say no thanks, but it is intrusive and irritating. Years ago, this happened on day one, if at all. I don’t mind Celebrity sending me marketing emails before my cruise, because yes, I sometimes do want a beverage, internet or dining package, especially if they’re discounted. The emails don’t interrupt either my normal life or my precious cruise vacation (and Celebrity makes a nice profit without annoying me).

Like others on this thread, I dislike the art shows that monopolize a very appealing public venue. I can’t believe anyone actually buys the art offerings, but someone must be spending enough to keep them there. I too dislike the veritable blizzard of useless sales flyers, but they’re easily filed in the appropriate receptacle;). The recent daily flurry of marketing voicemails are another matter! Why is it, I wonder, that I’m now dealing with more useless telemarketing voicemail on my cruise than I do at home? So no, these intrusive sales tactics are NOT acceptable while we are trying to enjoy the relaxing vacation for which we have already paid.

Edited by Silkroad

X can increase profits by either raising revenue or reducing expenses. Much prefer the former since if I don't want whatever they're hawking I can just say "NO". It's the nickle and dime cost cutting that cheapens the cruise experience and irritates me to no end.