Princess or Royal Caribbean British Isles?

octoberdana

We are celebrating our 25th anniversary with a British Isles cruise in the spring/summer 2019. The Princess cruise is on the Crown in May and the Royal cruise is on Brilliance in June. Price is only about $150 difference and we are gold on both lines. Really having a hard time deciding because we prefer the food and classiness of Princess but the service and entertainment on Royal.

We are thinking it will come down to itinerary so thought I would post and get thoughts. Open to other things to consider as well:

Crown Princess itinerary:

Begin Southampton

Port 1 Guernsey

Port 2 Cork

Port 3 Dublin (2 says docked)

Port 4 Belfast

Port 5 Glasgow

Port 6 Invergordon

Port 7 Edinburgh

Port 8 Paris/Normandy

Return Southampton

Brilliance of the Seas itinerary:

Begin Amsterdam

Port 1 Inverness/Loch Ness

Port 2 Greenock

Port 3 Belfast

Port 4 Dublin (docked 2 days)

Port 5 Holyhead

Port 6 Cork

Port 7 Dover

Return Amsterdam

Appreciate insights!

I have been comparing these two cruises as well. Main difference is the embarkation port (Amsterdam a unique city to visit & not far from airport to cruise port; Southampton is two hour drive minimum from airport & a small seaside town - London is about 40 minute drive from Heathrow if you wanted to see it while there). As mentioned Edinburgh is only on the Princess one, same with Le Havre for Paris. The Royal one goes to Wales and Dover. Both dock overnight in Dublin.

It really comes down to your preferences. Both ships are about the same size (Crown and Brilliance of the Seas). I wound up choosing the Princess one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been on both ships. I don't think you will be disappointed in either ship. I enjoyed both.

The itineraries are actually very similar.

Greenock = Glasgow -same port stop

Invergordon= Inverness/Loch Ness- same port stop

Where do you prefer to go out of, Amsterdam or Southampton? Maybe decide by where you would like to spend some extra time before the cruise.

If you want to do London before or after your cruise, it is a quick ride on the tube. The station is right in the lowest level of the airport. Of course, you can take a towncar for about $100, but I typically use the tube for something like 4 GDP. You will need to travel to Southampton for the cruise; there are several transportation options for that.

Paris is NOT a port city; if you want to go into the city, you'll have a significant bus or train ride. But I can't imagine going to Paris with only a few hours to spend there--that's at least a week's trip in my book! Normandy, Caen, etc. are great places to visit. I'm guessing that they will dock in Le Havre.

Amsterdam is an easy city to visit and has the port right there--no long drive and a great place for a couple of pre-cruise days.

Overall, I'd go with Princess.

We’re looking at the Princess British Isles cruise for next year, too, but the prices are more than double what they are for this year. I really want to book it, but when will the prices go down? Anyone know? For example, mini suite is $1699 this May, but $3499 next May. Prices have been this drastically different for some time now.

We enjoyed our British isles cruise on Princess last summer with the same itinerary stops. One thing to check out regarding price is airfare. I found it much less expensive to fly to London than to Amsterdam. It may just be from our airport.

Princess will always have high prices at the beginning, then depending on how it sells there are usually price drops as time goes on. And you can always refare at the lower price and get perks like free gratuities or beverage package added when the sales come out. The Sip n Sail promo is usually in the summer, followed by the 3 for Free promo in the fall. At this point I book the "cheapest" cabins and then watch the fares and promos for the next nine months or so. I've always ended up paying less fare than what I originally booked. And if you change your mind, you can always get your deposit refunded (up until your final payment date).

Princess will always have high prices at the beginning, then depending on how it sells there are usually price drops as time goes on. And you can always refare at the lower price and get perks like free gratuities or beverage package added when the sales come out. The Sip n Sail promo is usually in the summer, followed by the 3 for Free promo in the fall. At this point I book the "cheapest" cabins and then watch the fares and promos for the next nine months or so. I've always ended up paying less fare than what I originally booked. And if you change your mind, you can always get your deposit refunded (up until your final payment date).

Agree with most except your last statement. The current sale/promo “Summer on Sale” that applies to 2018 British Isles sailings requires a 10% deposit which is non refundable. And each sale has different perks, and each time you refare your booking, various perks come and go.

OP, I would hate to miss Edinburgh, just personal opinion. Both Amsterdam and London have lots of flights. Maybe one appeals to you more for pre or post stay. They are both great!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Suggest you figure your budget for both cruises. As mentioned in one of the threads; London will cost to get to hotel if you want to go into the city; if you choose to stay in hotel in Southampton it is 2 1/2 drive from Heathrow airport. Southampton is a sea town with the Titanic museum being the main attraction. I don't know whythey list Paris/Normandy; because you will spend all day getting to and from paris in a bus or train and little time to sightsee. Normandy is very special and closer to the port. Anyway let me get back on point; figure your airfare hotel and taxi or limo fares for both cruises. Then you will have a good comparison. Also mentioned both ships are very similar.

We’re looking at the Princess British Isles cruise for next year, too, but the prices are more than double what they are for this year. I really want to book it, but when will the prices go down? Anyone know? For example, mini suite is $1699 this May, but $3499 next May. Prices have been this drastically different for some time now.

We were fortunate enough to pick up this cruise very cheap in 2015, it was £699 for a balcony cabin but checking the prices in 2016 and 2017 the prices remained very high right through to sailing.

We have just booked the same cruise for this coming July on Royal Princess and the price is now half what it was a few months ago but still a lot more than we paid last time.

So its difficult to know what will happen next year.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

RCI !...I've always have picked Princess for Itineraries......but in this case with both being similar...I would go RCI, as we have always picked them for celebrations.

We did our 25th with RCI out of Barcelona a Eastern Med......IMHO no Princess ship's atmosphere can compare to any of RCI ships. My experience with the 2 lines regarding service/staff......Princess ridgid and Royal easy going.

With Princess I have far more memories on land with Royal Caribbean I have far more memories on the ship.....because of exceptional service which is 2nd to me after itinerary.

To Celebrate go Royal.....

We did the British Isles with Princess in 2013. If you can find it, hold out for an itinerary that visits Kirkwall (Orkney Islands). That was my favorite stop of the trip, and the ships rarely seem to go there.

I like Amsterdam. So I would choose Princess :)

Royal goes out of Amsterdam. Are you saying you would go out of Amsterdam and go with royal?

Or you don't like Amsterdam and I should go Princess?

Thanks!

SaveSave

I like Amsterdam. So I would choose Princess :)

You may be confused by what the op asked. Princess sails from Southampton England and does not go to Amsterdam; Royal Caribbean Does. I do not think she was talking Royal Princess. The two ships mentioned are Brilliance of the Seas and

Crown Princess

OP, if you like both itineraries, perhaps check the price estimates for airfare to both Amsterdam and London. You may find that you can get a direct flight to one and not the other, or if both offer direct there could be a significant price difference. (of course this is looking at airfare a year early and only an estimate, but I always find it to be pretty accurate)

For Amsterdam check the Dutch airline KLM. We have flown with them twice internationally and they were wonderful. For London check British Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, and even United has a direct flight to London from some airports. We flew with them direct to London from SFO and they were very good as well. I don't know which airports you would be looking at so this is just an idea. Sometimes it can make a difference in the overall cost of a cruise (and so can hotels, which you can also get price estimates on if applicable).

You may be confused by what the op asked. Princess sails from Southampton England and does not go to Amsterdam; Royal Caribbean Does. I do not think she was talking Royal Princess. The two ships mentioned are Brilliance of the Seas and

Crown Princess

Ah, then I apologize

The itineraries are just about the same

So if Royal Caribbean sails from Amsterdam that’s where I would start and do a few days there.

Sorry

Royal goes out of Amsterdam. Are you saying you would go out of Amsterdam and go with royal?

Or you don't like Amsterdam and I should go Princess?

Thanks!

SaveSave

Sorry.

I confused the embarkation ports.

Because the ports are so similar I would choose Royal Caribbean because it starts in Amsterdam and I would want to do some time there before the cruise

[emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry.

I confused the embarkation ports.

Because the ports are so similar I would choose Royal Caribbean because it starts in Amsterdam and I would want to do some time there before the cruise

[emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no worries we all read these posts quickly.....I certainly saw you made an error but no point in my opinion to point it out..but then again I am the youngest of 5 siblings so always had everything pointed out, so only do it now if I think it is of significance....;p

OP..I agree with the posters talking about flights...as much as I like an RCI ships for celebration look at EZair through Princess.....I know some recent cruises I selected Princess do to the flexibility and pricing of EZair and the total unpredictability of my life.

Ah, then I apologize

The itineraries are just about the same

So if Royal Caribbean sails from Amsterdam that’s where I would start and do a few days there.

Sorry

no worries; like mentioned; we breeze through the posts and we all miss stuff. I like Amsterdam; my wife and sisters will be there next month

Having done this UK cruise itinerary twice on Princess, I would be hesitant to miss Edinburgh. The two ports that we really liked were Guernsey and Edinburgh, both of which you would miss on RCI. Guernsey is very quaint and relaxing, but it is a tender port, so bad weather would mean skipping it. We were lucky and had good weather both trips. Edinburgh is a very historic and attractive city which would be a shame to miss on any UK itinerary.

I guess in the end it may come down to your desire to include Amsterdam as part of this cruise. Either trip will likely be a lot of fun.