Wanted—Honest reviews of Liberty of the Seas

Thinking of booking this ship for a family cruise in 2020 to celebrate our 50th Anniversary. I’ve read some good reviews—“great family cruise”, and some bad reviews—“ship was very worn and cabins showing their age, bedding awful”. It is in a convenient port for half of our family, but they will travel if we choose a different port. I have found some other great ships, but they come with a higher price that I don’t think my adult children with children of their own want to pay. Honest opinions, please.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So if you've read some good and some bad ... why are you still asking for "honest" reviews? What makes u think the people who wrote what u read were dishonest?

She rude!

We sailed with our family of 15 just a couple of weeks ago. Feb 4-11. ALL of us loved this cruise !! My husband and I have been on a few cruises, this was our 17th. We can't say enough about this ship. It was clean and there was so much for the grandkids to do they were busy all the time. I would sail her again in a heartbeat. Most of our family are from Montana and our son lives in San Antonio so we all flew out and rented a 15 passenger van. We actually got in on the kids sail free special so 6 of the grandkids got quite a deal. I honestly have zero complaints.

My cruise on Liberty of the Seas was one of the best I have taken. The food, entertainment, layout of the ship, and cabin were all good. I would definitely sail on this ship again. The only thing that was a slight negative was the cheesy cruise director. He wasn't bad, he was just a bit different. He reminded me of a Vegas entertainer. Other than that, the cruise was great. If I do cruise on this ship again, the only thing I will avoid is Galveston in the winter months due to possible fog delays.

My cruise on Liberty of the Seas was one of the best I have taken. The food, entertainment, layout of the ship, and cabin were all good. I would definitely sail on this ship again. The only thing that was a slight negative was the cheesy cruise director. He wasn't bad, he was just a bit different. He reminded me of a Vegas entertainer. Other than that, the cruise was great. If I do cruise on this ship again, the only thing I will avoid is Galveston in the winter months due to possible fog delays.

Thank you! Do you think we would have trouble with fog in March?

We sailed with our family of 15 just a couple of weeks ago. Feb 4-11. ALL of us loved this cruise !! My husband and I have been on a few cruises, this was our 17th. We can't say enough about this ship. It was clean and there was so much for the grandkids to do they were busy all the time. I would sail her again in a heartbeat. Most of our family are from Montana and our son lives in San Antonio so we all flew out and rented a 15 passenger van. We actually got in on the kids sail free special so 6 of the grandkids got quite a deal. I honestly have zero complaints.

Thank you! Sounds great!

So if you've read some good and some bad ... why are you still asking for "honest" reviews? What makes u think the people who wrote what u read were dishonest?

She rude!

Actually, the only one being rude is you! I asked for honest opinions, not a nasty remark.

Thank you to all of you giving me what I asked for!

We enjoyed our Liberty of the Seas cruise so much we have another one booked for December. Maybe seeing pictures might give you an idea of what to expect. I'll insert a link below to the section of my wife's website where she posted a slideshow made from some of the pictures she took on that cruise.

Christmas cruise on Liberty of the Seas

Cruising is a great way to celebrate your anniversary. My wife and I spent our 50th on an Alaska cruise. Have a great time and congratulations on your upcoming celebration!

We were 11 in May 2 years ago. From 1-58 all ages had a great time. Some people are really picky. There could be worn cabins on any cruise and food is very subjective. No one in our family complained about anything. There is so much to do, the pool area for the kids is wonderful. Read reviews and think “ would this bother me.” Liberty is a great family ship. Have a great time!

We've sailed out of Galveston the past 5 cruises, which happened during the months of May, December, and February, and I've only experienced fog there once, which was on my most recent trip (mid last month on the Vision OTS). The night before the cruise there was a lot, but the departure day was as clear and sunny as could be. On the final sea day heading back, the captain actually announced he would be speeding to Galveston for an early arrival to beat the heavy fog. When we arrived I could definitely see why, and I read somewhere here that it delayed the next sailing. So I will probably stick to either summer months or December sailings myself.

As far as the Liberty itself, I sailed her twice in a row (not B2B) for a reason - absolutely LOVE her. The ship is huge, plenty to do, the water slides are AWESOME and there are plenty of food options. All the staff were much friendlier than the people onboard the Vision. It is a clean and wonderful ship and I really don't think you could go wrong with Liberty.

Just finished back to back on Liberty.

The cabin carpet had a cigarette burn by the balcony door.

The rest of the cabin and ship were in great shape not just for a 10 yo ship but in general.

Lots of staff always cleaning and lots of activities for older and younger crowds.

Not sure what your concern is?

The fog screwed up our return flight but we will cruise again from here and have booked 2020 already.

We probably have 15 to 20 cruises on the Liberty out of Galveston and really enjoyed the cruises.

We enjoy a junior suite or a balcony close to the elevators near mid ship. If you get a cabin forward or aft, you may spend more time walking the halls than you wish on that long ship.

The ice show is a MUST and plan on being there early...maybe 45 min just to get any kind of seat. Our last time they required people to leave that didn't have seats.

We always go a day early and enjoy the good eats we find in Galveston.

There might be a very slight feeling this is a Texas ship with the Lone Star flag displayed.

Beds seemed fine for us.

Food is good.

Chops is very good also. Try the goat cheese salad if you like fried goat cheese...yum.

We prefer the cruise with the Grand Caymans...but that's just us.

Best of luck

My family was just on Liberty at the end of January. You can read my review here

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=607638

I did a lot of research and reading beforehand and had the same concerns after reading reviews. I honestly have no idea what those people were talking about. I found the ship to be in excellent condition, the food was very good, and the service was good throughout the ship.

I had cruised over 10 years ago and mostly on Celebrity (2 times in a suite) so I was expecting to get medium level food and service after reading about the general decline of food and service quality in that time period. Maybe it was because I had set my expectations lower, but I really didn't have any complaints at all.

Thank you! Do you think we would have trouble with fog in March?

We have cruised 3 times during spring break in March. One no delays, one about a 3 hour fog delay, and another an oil spill in the ship channel (several miles up the channel from the cruise terminal) that was at least 10 hour delay. We have also sailed 2 times in January with no delays. If flying I would book a very late return on Sunday or Monday.

My family was just on Liberty at the end of January. You can read my review here

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=607638

I did a lot of research and reading beforehand and had the same concerns after reading reviews. I honestly have no idea what those people were talking about. I found the ship to be in excellent condition, the food was very good, and the service was good throughout the ship.

I had cruised over 10 years ago and mostly on Celebrity (2 times in a suite) so I was expecting to get medium level food and service after reading about the general decline of food and service quality in that time period. Maybe it was because I had set my expectations lower, but I really didn't have any complaints at all.

Thank you for your honest opinion. It does sound like a great ship that will appeal to all the age groups of my grandchildren, a good price, and convenient location for at least 2 of my children. As for the fog issue, I will mention this to my children when booking flights, as I think we will stay an additional day. Then no stressing over fog. I know it’s mostly a winter problem, but we will be sailing early March and could very possibly happen. It did happen to my daughter sailing the Breeze when the port closed February 18, and they missed their 4:00 flight since they didn’t get off ship until 3:30!

We probably have 15 to 20 cruises on the Liberty out of Galveston and really enjoyed the cruises.

We enjoy a junior suite or a balcony close to the elevators near mid ship. If you get a cabin forward or aft' date=' you may spend more time walking the halls than you wish on that long ship.

The ice show is a MUST and plan on being there early...maybe 45 min just to get any kind of seat. Our last time they required people to leave that didn't have seats.

We always go a day early and enjoy the good eats we find in Galveston.

There might be a very slight feeling this is a Texas ship with the Lone Star flag displayed.

Beds seemed fine for us.

Food is good.

Chops is very good also. Try the goat cheese salad if you like fried goat cheese...yum.

We prefer the cruise with the Grand Caymans...but that's just us.

Best of luck[/quote']

I have sailed the Indy and the Oasis, so I’m familiar with the layout and the ice shows, etc. That is one reason I was attracted to this ship, and hope my family will love it. Although a couple of them have sailed a Royal ship, they were older ships, before the Promenade, so I know they will like that. Where in Galveston do you suggest to book a before and after cruise hotel stay? Thank you for your honest opinion, I really appreciate it. I don’t understand why some posters on here feel the need to attack, mock, and ridicule when someone is asking for honest opinions or giving their honest reviews.

Check the dates on the reviews. It recently got a big makeover. There's a good virtual tour of it on YouTube.

I actually did! I always watch videos before booking, and that is why I chose this ship, besides it’s location and price. Plus, the sailing I chose falls right on our anniversary, leaving March 8, 2020 and our 50th Anniversary is March 10, 2020. I thought about a vow renewal, also, but don’t think I can handle the added cost. Funny—-after paying for 5 kids weddings (and college educations), can’t afford a vow renewal for myself! Lol!

We sailed on Liberty Last February. We all loved it!! Staff were great, food was really good (we mostly ate in Windjammer), rooms were decent. Ship when we were embarking did get in late due to fog. So if any were to fly in I would leave some extra time considering that. Would definitely go again!!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

I actually did! I always watch videos before booking, and that is why I chose this ship, besides it’s location and price. Plus, the sailing I chose falls right on our anniversary, leaving March 8, 2020 and our 50th Anniversary is March 10, 2020. I thought about a vow renewal, also, but don’t think I can handle the added cost. Funny—-after paying for 5 kids weddings (and college educations), can’t afford a vow renewal for myself! Lol!

You will love the Liberty, cruised on her twice and there is tons to do. The service is really good, the staff seems really happy. You will be cruising with a ship largely full of friendly, Texans who have not forgotten the manners their mamas taught them.

About the vow renewal, why not try to do your own thing? Write em up and recite them on the beach, or just stand up in the dining room and bring down the house. Or maybe you can get with the cruise director and arrange to do something during the Love and Marriage show. Go for it, and congrats on 50 years!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can definitely have fog in March. Since you seem to be driving, that should not be a big concern. Go to the "Home Ports" boards for gulf departures for loads of info about hotels and Galveston in general. It is a quaint and fun little city. Or try galveston.com.