Princess Cruises Testing Advance Boarding for a Fee

LauraS

In March we were in a suite, received a letter saying we had priority tendering so we could go directly to the tender area - we did that and then were told we were wrong and had to go to the lounge and get a number first. Even though we had the letter with our directions, we were told they were incorrect. It would be nice if everyone was on the same page.

On a cruise with a large number of elites, even the elites have to go to a lounge and get a number. Your letter was correct if there were not a large number of elites. But if there were, Princess just did not have an alternate letter prepared. Their bad.

I have 2 other revenue generating suggestions for the cruise lines -

1) Reserved toilet stalls. This would be special stalls that are only available to people who pay an toilet up charge. They might even have a better quality softer toilet paper.

2) Reserved elevators. This one might actually sell. You have to scan your cruise card to get into the elevator. The door closes very quickly to make sure that no freeloader sneaks in behind you.

Anyone else have some other "faster" ideas that cruise lines might implement?

DON

3) FTTB benefit. This is Faster To The Buffet. With this option you can skip to the front of the buffet line.

4) FTTGSCO. This is the Faster To The Garage Sale CheckOut benefit. When they have the sale of unwanted merchandise in the dining room one morning, this benefit allows you to walk past many others and get to the front of the checkout line.

5) FTTP. This is the Faster To The Photo benefit. Why wait in a long line on formal evenings to have your photo taken by the ship's photographer? With this benefit you can be the next one served no matter how long the line.

6) FTTE. This is the Faster To The Exit option. After a show in the Princess Theater everyone else remains seated until you exit. Combined with the Reserved Elevators benefit you can get to your cabin very quickly.

FTTF gets you much more than the Princess early boarding option. FTTF means your cabin will definitely be ready when you board (Princess cabins may not be ready with boarding starting around 11 AM now), your luggage will be delivered sooner, and priority for tendering to shore at tender ports. None of this comes with the Princess option and at best you may board 30 minutes faster than not having paid for this.

Unless you have elite status:

Those with the Princess early boarding option board after BVE, suite, elite, platinum passengers. Thus they board ahead of only those who checked in before them who were not BVE, suite, elite, or platinum.

Looks like United Airlines is copying Princess:

United Airlines — ever on the hunt for ways to fatten its bottom line— has just rolled out a new early boarding option.

Called Priority Boarding, the new product allows customers eager to board early and secure overhead storage space to do so by paying an additional fee.

Priority Boarding customers will board with Group 2, which also includes Chase preferred credit card holders and certain United passengers with elite frequent traveler status. United has a total of five boarding groups for each flight.

According to a United spokeswoman, the fee for Priority Boarding is variable, but starts at $9. The fee could be higher depending on several factors, including the flight booked, the date, time of day, and day of week.

The appeal of early boarding on any airline is completely lost on me. We use airline credit cards for flights and therefore have free baggage, so wrestling for overhead bin storage not an issue. We have no desire to “hurry up and wait” by boarding first....maybe if we were flying first class I’d think differently!

in terms of the new Princess policy allowing you to pay to board early, it certainly seems like another move towards making Princess more like Carnival. “Faster to Fun” May appeal to the demographic on Carnival (yes a stereotype implied), but not sure the average Princess cruiser will see much value to this - time will tell.

Separate but related - does anyone see Princess allowing the Sanctuary to be booked online in the future? I kind of expected to see that after they started it with specialty restaurants. Would seem like a win win based on popularity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to me, personally....just saying where it could be useful for some people...

This really shouldn't be a surprise to traveler's....the cruise lines are learning from the airlines, in how to 'nickle and dime' passenger's on whatever they think is desirable or popular....

You are right wait til they change to the way airlines charge you up front for the cruise no cancel unless you have insurance

I guess I'm too relaxed as none of this bothers me. I'm retired, on vacation why does it matter when I board the ship as I refuse to rush anywhere. I am Elite and I've had to go to a lounge to wait to board a tender.

I can't see getting upset or worrying about things out of my control. I would not pay extra to board early, but then I don't rush around trying to be first to sign up for anything. I sit back have my glass of wine, and watch others planning what to do first! :D

On a cruise with a large number of elites, even the elites have to go to a lounge and get a number. Your letter was correct if there were not a large number of elites. But if there were, Princess just did not have an alternate letter prepared. Their bad.

It makes sense that everyone needs a number, which is why I was surprised by the letter.

we paid for FTTF for 2 rooms when we took a Carnival cruise ( our first/last/only/never again ), but then it was 3 granddaughters 2,8,& 10 - well worth it...

for just the 2 of us now, on Princess out of PE - we drive and like to be in the parking garage sometime around 10:30 am...when we do get to board is completely out of our control at that point...but we do like to get on board - platinum/priority for what that's worth now - to get that first beer and pina colada ;p...stress level at that point goes to defcon 1 immediately, if not before

Interesting new policy....

I just took a cruise on Princess a couple of weeks ago. We are elite and booked a suite so didn't think we'd have a wait once we got to the pier. We arrived around 11 AM or shortly after that. There were many people seated in the waiting area after check in but were given a notice they were trying out a new process referred to as 'early boarding'. As far as I could tell, it wasn't really early boarding as much as letting us know our rooms weren't ready yet, much like on Celebrity. Our room was ready but we did join somebody in the dining room that had to bring in his carry on luggage.

Maybe they are working on the rooms where guests have paid for the early boarding first?? We usually arrive at the pier around that same time and aren't required to wait to board and our room has always been ready when we have boarded.

in terms of the new Princess policy allowing you to pay to board early, it certainly seems like another move towards making Princess more like Carnival. “Faster to Fun” May appeal to the demographic on Carnival (yes a stereotype implied), but not sure the average Princess cruiser will see much value to this - time will tell.

The appeal of this revenue generator for Princess is certainly lost on you. Both FTTF and Early Boarding are not designed for the "average cruiser." They are very limited availability upgrades which squeezes a bit more revenue from the ship to appeal to those people who don't like to wait and are willing to pay more for it.

I also suspect I don't fit the mold of a stereotypical Carnival cruiser, but since I haven't been cruising forever, I'm not in retirement with no agenda, I don't have elite or platinum status on either line, and I don't prefer to wait, the minimal price to get on the ship faster (maybe even to book the Sanctuary) is worth it to me and far easier than cruising for many more years before I get the loyalty privileges.

The appeal of this revenue generator for Princess is certainly lost on you. Both FTTF and Early Boarding are not designed for the "average cruiser." They are very limited availability upgrades which squeezes a bit more revenue from the ship to appeal to those people who don't like to wait and are willing to pay more for it.

I also suspect I don't fit the mold of a stereotypical Carnival cruiser, but since I haven't been cruising forever, I'm not in retirement with no agenda, I don't have elite or platinum status on either line, and I don't prefer to wait, the minimal price to get on the ship faster (maybe even to book the Sanctuary) is worth it to me and far easier than cruising for many more years before I get the loyalty privileges.

solid post - well thought out - and well written

all things are not for everyone, thank goodness...:cool:... if this works for you

I actually do see your point, though I’m not sure how much time this will save anyone willing to pay for it - the lines for boarding, whether preferred or not, typically move pretty quickly, but yes it’s your money and prerogative to spend it on whatever you wish. I’m not a huge fan of any changes that Princess makes to be more similar to other lines, and that’s probably the bigger concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too many people getting Elite status or what ever it is called on other cruise lines . We had to go on RCCL and they have a Diamond Lounge there where so many people that had to close it. As more and more people cruise a lot this is going to get worse . Last time on Princess they had a private party for Elite and the room was overflowing. We have figured it out long time ago if you are booking a Suite you can get a Balcony on a 5 star with everything included . We still cruise main stream only taking a ocean view but once in a while it is nice going first class

As long as I am on board when they start moving that is important enough for me.:) I will have paid for the cruise and anything extra i don't need to pay to walk on early.

So it really doesn't bother you that most people have already boarded, had lunch in the DR, unpacked, made dining reservations & sanctuary reservations while you're still waiting to board?

Not that I would pay extra for the privilege to get on first but the staggered boarding request is aggravating.

I usually get to the terminal between 10:30 & 11 so will be on board by lunch time. i was merely saying I don't need to to pay extra to possibly board 30 min to an hour earlier. When my husband was alive, we were on board by 11:30, had lunch enjoyed the ship a little to return to our room to unpack before muster. Only 1 time did we have 1 piece of luggage not get tour room until after we left for dinner.

As long as I'm on the ship as it's leaving the pier I'm good. I am elite so board as one of the first, if I'm at the pier, but would never pay extra anyway, I think it is silly. And if my cabin isn't ready, I still go by, drop off my carry on and am on my way. Have never had an issue with being told no or been stopped.

Interesting new policy....

I just took a cruise on Princess a couple of weeks ago. We are elite and booked a suite so didn't think we'd have a wait once we got to the pier. We arrived around 11 AM or shortly after that. There were many people seated in the waiting area after check in but were given a notice they were trying out a new process referred to as 'early boarding'. As far as I could tell, it wasn't really early boarding as much as letting us know our rooms weren't ready yet, much like on Celebrity. Our room was ready but we did join somebody in the dining room that had to bring in his carry on luggage.

The "early boarding" you experienced is not the priority boarding Princess is selling.

The "early boarding" means that instead of not starting boarding until all cabins are ready (usually in the past around noon), boarding starts between 11 and 11:30 while only some of the cabins are ready.

Those who purchase the Priority boarding will board after the BVE, Suite, Elite and Platinum passengers, probably before noon, just ahead of other remaining passengers who have already checked in.

In all our times boarding on our RCCL cruises, we have never gone to a waiting area but are allowed to board immediately after all passengers have disembarked. The one big difference, rooms are not ready until around 1 PM. We have been in the WJ before Noon.

Not a huge priority to me on cold weather cruises. If I am on a short Caribbean cruise though, I do want to board early so I can reserve a lounger in the Sanctuary.

I can understand your desire to board early as I have seen lines at the Sanctuary (embarkation day) that was quite long. People also want to board early so they can call the dine line and make reservations for such things as the Chef's Table and Winemakers Dinner.....:):):)

Bob

The "early boarding" you experienced is not the priority boarding Princess is selling.

The "early boarding" means that instead of not starting boarding until all cabins are ready (usually in the past around noon), boarding starts between 11 and 11:30 while only some of the cabins are ready.

Those who purchase the Priority boarding will board after the BVE, Suite, Elite and Platinum passengers, probably before noon, just ahead of other remaining passengers who have already checked in.

Understood!!