Princess Cruises Testing Advance Boarding for a Fee

LauraS

This is another example of how crass and money grubby the cruise lines and air lines have become.

It also reflects their interpretation of the public - a portion of the public that appears willing to spend $ to get "status".

Go back in time to the first half of the cruising history to see how well it worked for EVERYONE.

Every guest received a good/excellent product - it was simple and straightforward - and there was not the angst posted on CC as it is now.

The earlier you arrived at the pier, the earlier you boarded - that seemed to work for everyone.

The mass cruise line cruising product is so complex and $ focused that it has pushed our household and our friends to move to the premium lines where it is more straightforward with minimal "elite" focus.

I do feel very sorry for the dear mass cruise line staff who are working on larger ships, with less staff and a matrix of service delivery configurations which get more complex by the year.

One thing is clear from the mass cruise line product - it is not about being at sea.

We fly Allegiant airlines - bare bone base price, which includes one 'personal' carryon bag ( backpack) that must fit under the seat in front of you. EVERYTHING else is an extra charge. Use it - pay...Don't use it - don't pay...

Works well for us:cool:

This was brought up about 2 years ago and was such a hit that Princess decided not to do it. Now they are thinking passengers are different so they will try it again. As long as some pay for it they will implement it. Not worth it to us to get on board a little earlier than others.

Will not pay it on United either. If they have no overhead space they will have to gate check our carry on bag bag for free again no problem.

Maybe people wanting to book the Sanctuary could benefit from early boarding? If a lot of people are vying for it on a given cruise. Other than that, I don't see the point of it, however I've always had priority boarding on Princess so I don't know what it's like to not have it! (Started cruising with someone who was already Platinum). Guess I'm spoiled.

Okay, I was mistaken about Princess charging less for 'Guarantee' cabins....some other lines do charge less if you let them choose for you.

And I agree that you sometimes have to wait several hours for dining room table reassignments, as well.

Besides the aforementioned first crack at the Sanctuary, another thing that sells out fast, sometimes, is the behind-the-scene's tour, sold on a first come, first served basis....

Maybe people wanting to book the Sanctuary could benefit from early boarding? If a lot of people are vying for it on a given cruise.

Since the priority boarding they are selling puts you in the sixth group to board, I doubt it will be much of a benefit.

It's just one thing after another. I'm not saying I'm quitting cruising, but I'm doing more land based trips and less cruises.

I'm finding bargains staying in resort area's whether a condo from AB&B or a special rate at a suites hotel. I mean it's extra for the better meals, extra for a normal cup of brewed coffee,

and now pay extra for boarding an hour early at the best? The shows are getting shorter, the Slowski Internet system is overpriced. Good grief, it's getting a little over the top.

I guess that's why we went to Palm Springs instead of a winter cruise. At any rate, we're not going to stop cruising, just take fewer of them I think.

Since the priority boarding they are selling puts you in the sixth group to board, I doubt it will be much of a benefit.

So what's the value at all? I can't figure this out. It's like they're selling people nothing for $49. I think club class is vastly overpriced for what it is, but at least there is SOMETHING they're giving you for the extra cost. This seems like a big giant nothing burger.

All I can say is another idea to tack a fee to.

if everyone dodges the extra fee then the idea will get canned.

A word from the wise:

A fool and his or her money are soon parted.

A quote from P. T. Barnum “There’s a sucker born every minute ”. Keep trying Princess :rolleyes:.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

There does seem to be a demand for this. Our cruise leaves 3/21 and yesterday the onboard reservation page showed that it was sold out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t think it would be worth it to pay for early boarding but my Oct/18 cruise is already sold out for it too.

It would be interesting to know if most (or all) of the sales have been to people new to Princess who do not realize what it really is or if the sales have been to those who have cruised Princess before.

FTTF on Carnival includes additional benefits such as your cabin being ready when you board, quick delivery of your luggage plus other benefits during the cruise. The Princess option just offers the opportunity to board a little quicker with the promise of faster access to spending money on board (shore excursions reservations and specialty dining reservations, for example).

It would be interesting to know if most (or all) of the sales have been to people new to Princess who do not realize what it really is or if the sales have been to those who have cruised Princess before.

FTTF on Carnival includes additional benefits such as your cabin being ready when you board, quick delivery of your luggage plus other benefits during the cruise. The Princess option just offers the opportunity to board a little quicker with the promise of faster access to spending money on board (shore excursions reservations and specialty dining reservations, for example).

Makes me wonder with the recent tread about rooms on Princess not being ready upon boarding will this be the same on Princess soon?

of course not... butt (see what I did there) - there will be an upsell offer to the PTPP, which includes Premium Toilet Paper, moistened bottom wipes, and Puffs Plus tissue

actually might actually - nevermind :cool:

of course not... butt (see what I did there) - there will be an upsell offer to the PTPP, which includes Premium Toilet Paper, moistened bottom wipes, and Puffs Plus tissue

actually might actually - nevermind :cool:

That's not to far fetched considering what they did with the soap recently.

Yeah...I can imagine all sorts of "premium packages" the cruise lines will attempt to upsell to passenger's....

Things like premium bathroom ameneties, such as the as aforementioned toiletries, but also...upgraded towels, bedding,....etc....

I don't want to give them any more idea's, in case they're reading these threads....;)

Yeah...I can imagine all sorts of "premium packages" the cruise lines will attempt to upsell to passenger's....

Things like premium bathroom ameneties, such as the as aforementioned toiletries, but also...upgraded towels, bedding,....etc....

I don't want to give them any more idea's, in case they're reading these threads....;)

Every time I think they can't sink any lower, they seem to come up with another way to amaze me with they're cost saving ideas.

Even so much as not giving a straw with iced tea unless asked for. :rolleyes:

My concern is now that the advanced boarding is selling out, will there eventually be tiers for advanced boarding that moves one up to higher levels of boarding and eventually board with BVE? I envision premium, supreme, titanium, etc. I mean, if this new thing is selling out, then why wouldn't they push it further?

I guess it depends on what embarkation is generally like on princess at a particular port.

On celebrity we turned up whatever time we like, got there at 12 and pretty much just walked on in minutes. On p&o you get told what time to turn up but even then there can often be a long wait of a couple of hours if lots of people have ignored their time and turned up when it suits.

Airlines offer this for similar prices and I’ve often paid for it. It just depends on price point. The price quoted works out to £30 for a couple (£15 each) which if embarkation is the nightmare some people say it is then such a little amount would be worth it to me. If however embarkation turns out to be as easy as it was on Celebrity I wouldn’t feel the need.

I have high hopes that the Princess embarkation will be swift and seamless though and so I’d never need to [emoji4]

Ps anyone got any perspectives on Princess Southampton embarkation?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

I guess it depends on what embarkation is generally like on princess at a particular port.

On celebrity we turned up whatever time we like, got there at 12 and pretty much just walked on in minutes. On p&o you get told what time to turn up but even then there can often be a long wait of a couple of hours if lots of people have ignored their time and turned up when it suits.

Airlines offer this for similar prices and I’ve often paid for it. It just depends on price point. The price quoted works out to £30 for a couple (£15 each) which if embarkation is the nightmare some people say it is then such a little amount would be worth it to me. If however embarkation turns out to be as easy as it was on Celebrity I wouldn’t feel the need.

I have high hopes that the Princess embarkation will be swift and seamless though and so I’d never need to [emoji4]

Ps anyone got any perspectives on Princess Southampton embarkation?

Boarding usually starts by noon. Anyone arriving after that will usually have a small line to check in and then get on the ship soon after.

The "advance boarding" fee would only help someone who has checked in before boarding has started and only someone who is not in a full suite or Club Class mini-suite or with Elite of Platinium status.