Exercise while on the ship

Crazy4Camping

l’ve lost 115 lbs and have kept it off for 3 years by following a low carb/high protein/consistent exercise lifestyle. I am also a thyroid cancer survivor who has no thyroid,so totally understand that my metabolism sux and I have to work waaay harder to maintain a healthy weight. So I have simplified things...I exercise to prolong my life...period.

Good for you

Exercise is good for you for other health reasons, not weight loss.

I believe my cardiologist would disagree. It's a combination of lifestyle changes, diet and exercise.

I think what they’re trying to say is weight is more about what you put into your mouth than how much you exercise. I’ve always heard weight is about 80% what you eat and 20% exercise.

Sailed the Fascination on 2/25. The Fitness Studio offered Early morning stretch at 7:00 AM. No charge. Fabs Abs Class at 7:30. No charge. At 8:00 AM they offered a group cycle class, I don't know the fee, I did not participate.

I also do not care for the upper deck jogging track, it can be very windy and hard to maneuver when there are a lot of people walking and jogging. It's a good size Fitness Center on the Fascination, take advantage of it.

I think what they’re trying to say is weight is more about what you put into your mouth than how much you exercise. I’ve always heard weight is about 80% what you eat and 20% exercise.

I was blessed to learn from the wisdom of other -100+ weight losers and my team of nutritionist/endocrinologist/oncologists/dietician

There is no magic formula. For weight loss, you need to burn more calories than you are consuming...combining a healthy low calorie diet with consistent exercise will accomplish this. But also any other medical issues (I.e metabolic issues/mental health/medicine side effects, etc.) need to be addressed. Obesity is a multifaceted disease.

Edited by BookDragon

I see that you are cruising the Fascination. My favorite class of ship. One day when it was raining, I decided to take my "walk" inside. Starting at the Riviera level, I walked front to back to front, and up the stairs one level, to the Main deck, front to back and around again to front, and up the stairs, to upper, did it again to Empress. One of the staff told me I had just walked two miles.

So basically you walked three laps around the interior of the ship. On the Dream, there is a lanai deck on which you can walk around the exterior of the ship . IIRC you need to walk 2-1/2 times around the ship for it to equal one mile. Just saying, you were probably told wrong and your mom all was about one mile.

Instead of offering alternatives, or telling anecdotal "here's what I do" stories, I'll try and answer your questions:

• No organized exercise classes although I believe they had a "yoga/massage" spa treatment for a fee ($120?) on our last cruise.
  • AFA pools, no lap swimming. The pools are very small, (15' x 30'?) and are used by the guests for lounging around; no dedicated exercise/activities....

You forgot the mic drop.

Sailed the Fascination on 2/25. The Fitness Studio offered Early morning stretch at 7:00 AM. No charge. Fabs Abs Class at 7:30. No charge. At 8:00 AM they offered a group cycle class, I don't know the fee, I did not participate.

I also do not care for the upper deck jogging track, it can be very windy and hard to maneuver when there are a lot of people walking and jogging. It's a good size Fitness Center on the Fascination, take advantage of it.

Thank you for this info. I work better when I'm in a class being told what to do so I'm glad they offer such options!

• Like 1

I believe my cardiologist would disagree. It's a combination of lifestyle changes, diet and exercise.

Yes, those of us that have lost a large amount of weight and have had to work hard to keep it off would agree to the 80/20 example you give. It's an everyday struggle!

I am a person who goes to the gym almost daily in my "real" world...and I always pack for my cruise with the best of intentions of working out while on ship...but I never do....we always end up till 4am drinking or whatnot and I never end up at the gym...just not meant to be for me so I accept that I'll have a week off....but I will say last cruise we ate and drank like it was going out of style and I did not hit the gym once...but still lost 2lbs so there must be something to the walking around because I can't rationalize it any other way.....

I am a person who goes to the gym almost daily in my "real" world...and I always pack for my cruise with the best of intentions of working out while on ship...but I never do....we always end up till 4am drinking or whatnot and I never end up at the gym...just not meant to be for me so I accept that I'll have a week off....but I will say last cruise we ate and drank like it was going out of style and I did not hit the gym once...but still lost 2lbs so there must be something to the walking around because I can't rationalize it any other way.....

Muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe you lost muscle since there was a week break in your usual exercise routine? Who knows? There are a number of factors that can influence a small +/- loss or gain.

Let me get this straight:

• I post a direct answer to the OP's questions with objective facts.
  • The only reason you participated in this thread is to admonish me about my directness.
  • Your post you states "one can can read on or participate" or "skip the thread". Why don't you take your own advice?

Yes Pup ... but I really didn't understand why your tone chastised others even though the OP had gotten the information they asked for :)

And as to why I was reading and participating - I was interested in what was being said.

Posts #2 and Post #6 DID address and answer the OP's questions. If an OP gets the specific information they asked about I'm not sure why you felt the need to be so curt :( or why people discussing other aspects of the question is a problem. In most threads a the OP gets what they asked in the first 10 posts then things get more general on the topic.

If one is interested in more than the actual "answer" then they can read on or participate - if not they can skip that thread in the future. I'm pretty sure if there was NOT some additional chit-chat about topics that experienced cruisers would probably not frequent the site. Then who would answer all the Cheers, YTD vs Fixed, dress code, FTTF, and arrival appointment questions over and over?? :D

Where is the “Like” button :p

Muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe you lost muscle since there was a week break in your usual exercise routine? Who knows? There are a number of factors that can influence a small +/- loss or gain.

Sorry but a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat-one pound!!

But yes there are many factors that contribute to weight loss/muscle building and they most certainly loss some tone if not working out everyday. That is one of my concerns but when looking at the pictures and seeing all the workout equipment as well as free weights I'm psyched!!

Sorry but a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat-one pound!!

But yes there are many factors that contribute to weight loss/muscle building and they most certainly loss some tone if not working out everyday. That is one of my concerns but when looking at the pictures and seeing all the workout equipment as well as free weights I'm psyched!!

Technically correct, but a lb of muscle looks a whole lot better than a lb of fat...at least on my body type! I’m excited too about the machines. I hope it isn’t too crowded! I alao saw an outdoor workout area that had nonmotorized machines that look like fun too!

I was blessed to learn from the wisdom of other -100+ weight losers and my team of nutritionist/endocrinologist/oncologists/dietician

There is no magic formula. For weight loss, you need to burn more calories than you are consuming...combining a healthy low calorie diet with consistent exercise will accomplish this. But also any other medical issues (I.e metabolic issues/mental health/medicine side effects, etc.) need to be addressed. Obesity is a multifaceted disease.

I can't agree with you more. I'm a breast cancer conqueror (when diagnosed I was 164 lbs @ 5') and thanks to a lifestyle change supervised by my dietician which consisted of regular exercise and eating only healthy food (not "health food" but healthy food) now I'm a "hot 68 year old". (I was supposed to be "the poster girl" for Mt Sinai but they ended up not doing the campaign.)

This is why I do the treadmill during a cruise. If I get lazy...I'll get fat again. And, now that I'm a normal bmi...and eat healthy...my body processes food correctly. So, if I have some warm chocolate melting cake etc....I don't put on weight.

The trick is...as I'm sure you know...you have to stick to the healthy part. When you're good to your body, your body is good to you.

I can't agree with you more. I'm a breast cancer conqueror (when diagnosed I was 164 lbs @ 5') and thanks to a lifestyle change supervised by my dietician which consisted of regular exercise and eating only healthy food (not "health food" but healthy food) now I'm a "hot 68 year old". (I was supposed to be "the poster girl" for Mt Sinai but they ended up not doing the campaign.)

This is why I do the treadmill during a cruise. If I get lazy...I'll get fat again. And, now that I'm a normal bmi...and eat healthy...my body processes food correctly. So, if I have some warm chocolate melting cake etc....I don't put on weight.

The trick is...as I'm sure you know...you have to stick to the healthy part. When you're good to your body, your body is good to you.

LOVE IT!!! Congrats on kicking cancer’s butt and another Congratulations for maintaining a healthy lifestyle!!!

LOVE IT!!! Congrats on kicking cancer’s butt and another Congratulations for maintaining a healthy lifestyle!!!

You know how people choose a cruise based on "drink plans" and dining? I choose my ships based on the availability of almond milk.

You know how people choose a cruise based on "drink plans" and dining? I choose my ships based on the availability of almond milk.

LOL! Now I’ve heard it all!!! I drink HEB’s Mootopia (lactose free & protein enriched). It’s delish! But not something found on cruise ships.

The Pride had several classes per day, usually 3-5 I believe. Lots in the morning and a few in afternoon or evening. Most cost money but a few were free I believe. Doing a few classes didn’t seem outrageous but they had an unlimited plan that let people go to all the pay classes for the whole week. Unfortunately, I didn’t discover that plan or the class schedule until the 5th day of the cruise or I probably would have bought it, seemed like an excellent deal and would have provided a lot of entertainment/fitness oppurtunities to plan my day around. Based on my memory, it seemed like none of the classes were while the ship was in port if that is a concern. Check it out the first day!

My friends and I hit the gym a couple times per day on sea days and once per day on port days. We drank like fish and ate like pigs and only put on a few pounds each. Probably would have been less but we collectively stopped taking the stairs on the third day, usually my use of the stairs is the biggest factor on weight gain or loss on a cruise. I think we switched because the ship seemed less crowded than usual so taking elevators was actually faster than stairs unlike what I normally notice.

Hope this is useful. Enjoy your trip!

I know there is a track on the ship for running/jogging but I wondered if they have any formal classes such as Jazzercise, Zumba , or yoga. Also are there any pools that are set up for lap swimming?

NO lap swimming.

Technically correct, but a lb of muscle looks a whole lot better than a lb of fat...at least on my body type! I’m excited too about the machines. I hope it isn’t too crowded! I alao saw an outdoor workout area that had nonmotorized machines that look like fun too!

Oh yes the muscle def looks better than fat!! Living in the northeast, most of my exercise is indoors since the weather is lousy so I can't wait to do some outdoor exercise in February!!

• 1 month later...