A new taped version of the Muster Drill......Really?

myfuzzy

We experienced the no life jacket muster drill. I had heard so much and was looking forward to the information.

I did not think it was terrible at all. It kept my attention because it was short and on point with a light heartiness to it.

What I really enjoyed was once it was over, how quickly we were able to leave and not be tripping over our life jackets and those who were in front of us. Exiting was smooth (we were in the theatre).

If someone does not take the time to pay attention to the muster drill its on them.

We actually went back to our room and checked our life jackets to make sure it was ready to go and we could put them on correctly.

Your not going to make everyone happy but this muster drill was fine by me. :)

We experienced the no life jacket muster drill. I had heard so much and was looking forward to the information.

I did not think it was terrible at all. It kept my attention because it was short and on point with a light heartiness to it.

What I really enjoyed was once it was over, how quickly we were able to leave and not be tripping over our life jackets and those who were in front of us. Exiting was smooth (we were in the theatre).

If someone does not take the time to pay attention to the muster drill its on them.

We actually went back to our room and checked our life jackets to make sure it was ready to go and we could put them on correctly.

Your not going to make everyone happy but this muster drill was fine by me. :)

Did you learn anything new?

I was on the Royal on the same cruise...The "airline" message was not part of the muster drill, but rather just part of Captain Nick Nash's announcements and his sense of humor. We have sailed with Capt Nash many times and he always adds some form of humor to his announcements. If you were at the Captain's Circle party (2nd one I think) that we attended, his British sense of humor was on full display (picking on the French islands as an example).

He got off the Royal the day we did (3/10), so anyone sailing in the next few months will hear something different from the current captain.

I love Capt Nash. He is a standout among Princess captains and way ahead of RCI's captains.

His sense of humor adds a lot to the cruise.

Did you learn anything new?

Since this was our 6th cruise with Princess I did not think that there was anything new information to the emergency drill. Just the format was different and people were not playing with their life jackets ;)

It is always good to have a refresher course. I do remember as I was listening that there were a few things I had not recalled. As they were talking I was playing it out in my mind what I would have to grab if needed. I have lots of medication and refrigerated medicines as well.

I am also one of those that listens to the attendants on plane about emergency evacuation process.

I am also one of those that listens to the attendants on plane about emergency evacuation process.

Yes, a plane is one thing where you have to act quickly but a cruise ship -in my opinion- is no where near as a critical.

Get you stuff & report to the location.

Honestly, does anyone expect all 3-4000 people will actually listen/comprehend or even care about the abandon ship drill?

I know it’s “required “ by law, but how the cruise line delivers the message is up for debate. Basically it’s the same as the airline safety brief except it’s for 4000 passengers who are loaded on foo-foo drinks and who could care less.

I know where my lifeboat is.

“Near my God to thee”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Honestly, does anyone expect all 3-4000 people will actually listen/comprehend or even care about the abandon ship drill?

I know where my lifeboat is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Princess you are assigned an indoor muster station where you must report. It is not an abandon ship drill. In fact you will not be assigned a life boat. If the instructions were to abandon ship, the crew in the muster station will designate the correct number of passengers to each life boat assigned to that muster station.

Nice try on that reply.

When the cruise lines give those “muster station” drills it’s really about abandoning ship.

Don’t sugar coat it please.

Obviously you’re a rep or a cruise critic and trying to put a spin on it.

When airlines give the “muster station” safety brief it’s the same thing as cruise lines giving the brief:

It’s about safely leaving the “ ship” (aircraft or ship)

Abandon ship drill just seems more drastic than a safety brief- even when the ship is bow down/stern up.

Nice try on that reply.

When the cruise lines give those “muster station” drills it’s really about abandoning ship.

When airlines give the “muster station” safety brief it’s the same thing as cruise lines giving the brief:

It’s about safely leaving the “ ship” (aircraft or ship)

Abandon ship drill just seems more drastic than a safety brief- even when the ship is bow down/stern up.

But when there is an "abandon ship" issue, typically hours occur between the incident and the ship sinking. Those hours are the time when lives are saved.

A wise captain will give the order for people to report to their muster stations "too early" rather than "too late." And when (hopefully) people are told the emergency has been managed and they can return to their staterooms, intelligent passengers will realize that the captain was looking out for their safety.

On another line, there was a "thermal anomaly." That's nice talk for "fire in the smokestack." At about 4:30 am, the captain ordered everyone to muster stations. Yes, that made everyone get out of bed, go to the stations, and be logged in. I'm guessing there was more "preparation" that we never saw. About 90 minutes later the emergency was declared over and everyone could return to bed. The only objection I ever saw or heard about was that they never admitted there had been a fire, although it was very obvious to anyone who saw or photographed the smokestack.

Nice try on that reply.

Not trying to spin anything (unlike you) nor sugar coating anything. In almost 25 cruises we've never had to report to our muster station but on one we did come close. One night Princess Captain Sagani came on the PA system in all cabins saying there was a fire onboard (in more detail than this), that it was in the process of being contained, but to be ready for a possible instruction to report to muster stations. He was wonderfully calm, informative and even a bit humorous (making some quip about needing his coffee when it was all over). I started to go down the checklist of what to bring (warm clothes, passport, meds, etc.) to the muster station because I was prepared from attending the drills. Luckily within a few minutes - that felt longer - he came on to explain the genesis of the fire and that it was put out successfully.

You should look at this thread started on the 10th anniversary of the fire on the Star Princess: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2332381

Edited by capriccio

But when there is an "abandon ship" issue, typically hours occur between the incident and the ship sinking. Those hours are the time when lives are saved. A wise captain will give the order for people to report to their muster stations "too early" rather than "too late."

You assume it’s all good until it’s not all good. How do you typically know that it takes hours before a ship goes to the bottom and not an inconvenience?

Admit it, cruise lines do the “muster station “ as quick as possible so they can make money on other things

Honestly, if they thought they could slide on the muster station they would. It’s just required by law. How they administer it is left up to them.

Ok look,

All I’m trying to say is that :

1. I think the video presentation of “ muster station “ and where to go to your station is wrong.

2. I think everyone should participate and show up to their designated “muster station”.

3. When it happens for real, everyone is going to wish they had attended.

Whatever, it doesn’t matter. No one gives a **** anyways.

I have worked on those dinner and sunset cruise ships years ago . Coast guard regulations the same. I did the life jacket demo so many times I can do it in my sleep. But I still try on my life jacket, get the straps just right for me and make my mom do the same. I also put important stuff in Ziploc bags. Stuff happens. Even at my senior status I think I can take care of myself. I want to be sure I can take care of my mother. Stay calm and be prepared.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

It's the women in the crowd who love the show.

Most men can't be bothered.

Glad they removed most of them from the on demand TV's.

Since nobody is forced to watch the episodes, why do you care if there are multiple episodes available on the on demand TV? It is not as if they replaced the shows with anything else.

Since nobody is forced to watch the episodes, why do you care if there are multiple episodes available on the on demand TV? It is not as if they replaced the shows with anything else.

Because my wife is one of those people who will watch those idiotic shows year after year. :rolleyes:

Thankfully many have been given a rest for a while. :D

Because my wife is one of those people who will watch those idiotic shows year after year. :rolleyes:

Thankfully many have been given a rest for a while. :D

Sorry, but there a few things that are worth watching many times over …. "Love Boat" reruns, "Murder She Wrote" reruns, "Magnum PI" reruns, to name a few.

Maybe it's a girl thing, because we love them even if some people (maybe mostly men?) think it's idiotic!!! :):D

Ship of fools.

Despite what they (the lines) say, profit is No.1, not safety.

I'm ex-Coast Guard (Lt. Commander) and can tell you the 'big one' is coming. It's not a matter of if, but when.

Memorize (by feel) the number of doors, turns, stairs and decks to get to your muster station... and imagine getting to your muster station: blindfolded, when the air is full of choking smoke, you are hypothermic, the 'deck' has become a bulkhead... and your 'neighbour' is panicking and blocking the way.

This post will be deleted by CC in 5, 4, 3, 2 1...

Edited by Bill B
'Spell Check' doesn't distinguish between 'hypodermic' and 'hypothermic'.

Since we are talking muster station ,.....I always smile when I am in a forward cabin especially when I am on lido deck and I must go all the way down to the theater where I swear 1/2 the ship is...If the ship is "gng down" do u really think people are gng to walk down all those flights of stairs and nicely assemble into that huge crowd. Who knows?

I much prefer muster on other cruise lines where my muster station is out on the deck...at least I can see what is gng on.....

I have worked on those dinner and sunset cruise ships years ago . Coast guard regulations the same. I did the life jacket demo so many times I can do it in my sleep. But I still try on my life jacket, get the straps just right for me and make my mom do the same. I also put important stuff in Ziploc bags. Stuff happens. Even at my senior status I think I can take care of myself. I want to be sure I can take care of my mother. Stay calm and be prepared.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Ship of fools.

Despite what they (the lines) say, profit is No.1, not safety.

I'm ex-Coast Guard (Lt. Commander) and can tell you the 'big one' is coming. It's not a matter of if, but when.

Memorize (by feel) the number of doors, turns, stairs and decks to get to your muster station... and imagine getting to your muster station: blindfolded, when the air is full of choking smoke, you are hypothermic, the 'deck' has become a bulkhead... and your 'neighbour' is panicking and blocking the way.

This post will be deleted by CC in 5, 4, 3, 2 1...

Both of you are posting great reminders....

I always am very aware on jets know where the exit is and look at the ability of the people around me. Often I have determined the better option would be to go over the seats.

Recently I have not thought about being secure on a ship. Like making sure my life jacket fits....etc..very good tip....even putting things I value, in one spot in a ziplock.

I used do do a lot of these things when I first cruised but that was so long ago, I have gotten complacent, so thanks for the reminders.

Personally, I really don't care how they present the safety information as long as they get it across to the passengers. Maybe Princess is thinking that with all the Millennials that are cruising now, they have to have information in a video format or it doesn't stick.

Since we are talking muster station ,.....I always smile when I am in a forward cabin especially when I am on lido deck and I must go all the way down to the theater where I swear 1/2 the ship is...If the ship is "gng down" do u really think people are gng to walk down all those flights of stairs and nicely assemble into that huge crowd. Who knows?

I much prefer muster on other cruise lines where my muster station is out on the deck...at least I can see what is gng on.....

Down is where the lifeboats are on a modern ship and the staging area for loading them is the Promenade.

Personally, I really don't care how they present the safety information as long as they get it across to the passengers. Maybe Princess is thinking that with all the Millennials that are cruising now, they have to have information in a video format or it doesn't stick.

Millennials ? On Princess?

That's a good one. LOL:D

All our cruisers are an avg age of around 60 or more.

Millennials ? On Princess?

That's a good one. LOL:D All our cruisers are an avg age of around 60 or more.

You must be cruising during the off season, on longer cruises or non-Caribbean itineraries. The trend is heading in that direction. I was talking about the most basic Caribbean itineraries. I'm in Gen X and while there seemed to be a lot of passengers in my age range, I also saw A LOT of people between 30-40 yrs. old on our recent cruise and it'll keep getting younger as more and more grow up with cruising. My point is that the demographics are changing (as Princess constantly reinforces in it's training) and the company has to modernize too.

How many people born after 1995 won't be able to find their muster station because their 'smart' phone isn't working?;) :rolleyes:

How many people on the larger ships realize the ships don't carry enough lifeboats for everyone?

It's true - in a disaster, there's a good chance many pax will be sliding down a chute into a life raft, the 'floor' of which will be heaving with the sea, and they may be sitting in freezing cold water... sloshing around to mix with all the puke & blood.

P.S. You will not be able to bring your mobility scooter.

I'll still cruise... but not on a Royal Class ship... or any of those 'Behemoths of the Seas' and like on other lines.