RCCL says has no foam toppers and no magnet hooks are allowed on their ships

First:RCCL special needs stated today RCCL officially no longer has eggcrate or any type of foam topper for the beds. Even if requested through special needs may answer your request in a very misleading manner causing you to believe otherwise. When I pressed today about what they had already agreed to put on my bed when I requested double foam on the bed and they replied they would put double toppers on the bed (this was prior to final cruise payment while 100% refundable). What they described when I pressed was a typical mattress pad with a layer of batting in it. They stated that even 2 of them together would be less than an inch thick and have no give or bounce. They are willing to double it and put 4 on. What I read here in the forum caused me to call special needs today to clarify the issue. Thank you because I would have been in a fix. I wanted to warn others with special needs if they ask for foam and get a reply that they will place a double topper on the bed it is not what they think it will be. I went so far as to confirm with a supervisor who stated that if there was any foam in use across the RCCL fleet it was being used against their policy and their knowledge. I think some ships may be holding on to some for those who complain, but I would not count on having it. I was told must bring my own. Personally think they need to be more honest when they get such special needs requests, I am having more of an issue with them misleading me while I could still cancel my cruise. Either buy better mattresses than the ones I am reading about or come up with a better topper alternative for those who need it. They do exist. Answering a request for a needed item before final cruise payment in a misleading manner is underhanded.

2nd For those of you who state you have been using magnet hooks in your cabins to organize and hang things. Special needs department stated today that no type of magnet hook can be attached to walls or ceilings in any cabin (even if it has a protective layer to prevent damage). It will not be allowed. They stated that they could mess with navigation or electronics on the ship?? They said staff would remove them if found. We will be in a deck 6 accessible balcony cabin. They would not even confirm a magnet hook could adhere to cabin ceiling as forum members suggested would work to hang IV bag.

So Ha Ha! Just wanted to warn any of you who have been using magnet hooks on cruises for years not to bother packing them anymore. Is that to be believed? Thank you to those who replied with magnet solutions. I will bring some. But due to what told today will be flying in an IV pole to be safe as well as some type of topper solution for my bed unless someone convinces me will not be needed. My medical luggage on flight just went from 2 bags to 3 bags and a pole.

Lmao! Ok

Bring your hooks,its a non issue. You got the corporate answer. There are some things you do not ask or else new rules get created. Dont ask dont tell.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and ASSURANCES. I think I am fairly convinced. Now why was it so hard for Special Needs? It should have been easy. Once we sail, they will really have no choice but assist in some way won't they?

Last cruise, day 2 an assistant cabin steward who spoke no English threw out a 3 gallon clear zip lock bag marked medical with all the line sets for my IVs for our 11 day cruise except the 1 I had used the night before. We searched the room, then they searched the trash. Then medical had to provide replacements. Not as good as mine but we survived. He remembered the bag, he just did not understand what was in it and could not read the clear writing on the bag so thought must be trash.Will stay safely under the bed this trip.

spookwife- Yes I am a minority. But there are many who cruise with more difficult to manage situations. J-tubes, TPN, ostomy bags, more exotic medication than saline in their IV bags. I am lucky, I can handle almost everything myself and DH can handle the rest. Only If I know about my environment so I can prepare. Last cruise had a big sign for Dialysis at Sea. Apparently some ships are floating hospitals.

MUCH-ADO-WEB-SEASON-PAGE-CUBE.jpg

Merion_Mom, I am sure that it was the panicked and hysterical tone of the OP's post that inspired this; I know that you're aware that if you are the one with "special needs" it is definitely not "nothing."

OP, calm down. There are solutions.

On my last cruise I was so uncomfortable on the hard mattress that I ripped off the covers to try to sleep on the sofa. The next morning my room steward (without my asking, bless him) put a folded duvet on the sofa to try to make it more comfortable for me. It wasn't; I ended up back in the bed and tried to sleep sitting up. Nothing worked. By the last night I was ready to ask my steward to bring me a chaise from the pool deck. I didn't, because it was the last night, but I bet I would have been OK on it.

No way would I lug around an egg-crate foam thing. Go to Amazon, WaMart or REI and find a thin, self-inflating foam and air mattress. You can find them from about $15 to over $200, in twin or queen-sized. Obviously REI will be the most expensive. Amazon has the most variety/pricing options. I am not going backpacking and I don't want to spend a lot of money; I just want something that is super-easy to pack and that will add comfort to my bed. There are a lot of choices.

The ceilings in the cabins are really low. You should not have a problem popping a magnet up there. On the other hand, since they are smooth metal panels, your husband can easily attach a Command hook for the duration of the cruise.

You might want to call them again and calmly and politely ask if --should your other options fail-- they would let you borrow an IV pole for the duration of the cruise. They might, they might even have someone set it up for you. Or, they might say no due to some liability concerns. In that case you can contact Special Needs @ Sea and they will deliver one to the ship for you so that it's in your cabin when you board.

Royal Caribbean is very (and deservedly) proud of its Special Needs department, protocols and options. They can't solve every issue but they try to be as responsive as possible. Perhaps you received what you consider unpleasant responses because of your overwrought presentation? Try to calm down and think this through. There are solutions and you can make this as enjoyable or as miserable as you choose it to be.

As for the beds, I find them perfectly comfortable and have certainly never ended up with bruises from sleeping on them.

You are unique. And special.

I thought they no longer provided "foam" topper's due to hygienic concerns. I can understand that. Your cabin steward can use an extra douvet cover or extra blankets instead.

Many use magnetic hooks and have had no problems. There are certain areas on the ceiling that it's clearly posted not to hang anything from I believe it's the fire sprinkler's v

alves....otherwise using magnetic hooks should be fine.

I have always had a very comfortable mattress. As leaving cruise I saw a cartful of foam toppers rolled up . I would never want to sleep on one - agree with the "hygienic" comment. Looked very unappealing .

Here's the thing. If Royal tells you a ceiling magnet will work but then for some reason it doesn't, you'll be pissed, and worse, you won't be properly prepared to treat your condition. It's a liability issue for them if they promise they can help with your medical treatment. It better for them to say bring everything you need.

In fact, even if Royal made you these promises, I would argue it would be a good idea to bring everything you need just in case. If I needed a daily IV, I can't imagine traveling without a pole!

They stated that they could mess with navigation or electronics on the ship??

Hahahaha, BS. Whoever you talked to is making stuff up. They're probably not aware that many of the ships use Azipods for propulsion, which are basically giant, 26,000 horsepower electric motors with a propeller attached. Electric motors contain magnets. 26,000 horsepower electric motors contain very big magnets, so if your dinky little wall hook were going to screw with navigation equipment, imagine what the ship's own engines would do.

And that's not even considering the fact that *they sell magnets in the gift shop!*

Just take the hooks. You'll be fine. Take the pole only as a backup for if the hooks aren't strong enough to hold what you need them to, but no one is going to take your magnets away.

I just got off Freedom this past Saturday (3/11-17 sailing). I didn’t have any idea that magnet hooks were supposed to be an issue, and so I took some. I used them on the wall (deck 8 cabin) to air dry my clean but damp sports bra. I also used them to hang some hats. They were on the wall throughout the 6 day cruise and our cabin attendendant never mentioned nor messed with them. Pack your magnet hooks. Your cabin attendant isn’t going to care one way or the other.

Hahahaha, BS. Whoever you talked to is making stuff up. They're probably not aware that many of the ships use Azipods for propulsion, which are basically giant, 26,000 horsepower electric motors with a propeller attached. Electric motors contain magnets. 26,000 horsepower electric motors contain very big magnets, so if your dinky little wall hook were going to screw with navigation equipment, imagine what the ship's own engines would do.

First off, every cruise ship built within the last 20 years has used electric propulsion motors, whether they are in azipods or fixed in the hull with propeller shafts. Electric motors do not contain magnets, at least AC induction motors, as are used on ships for virtually everything, including the propulsion. Induction motors use a magnetic field that is rotating around the stator, or stationary part of the motor. This field is such that outside the motor, there is virtually no magnetic field, due to the constantly rotating opposite polarity fields caused by AC current. This is why you can use a magnetic field scanner to detect a defect in a motor, while running, because a defect in the motor will cause the magnetic field outside the motor casing to become imbalanced and detectable.

And I have stated that given the distance a small rare earth magnet (like a hook) would be from sensitive navigation equipment makes the chance of interference infinitesimal. However, ship's equipment is susceptible to magnetic interference, from as little as a poorly shielded antenna wire. And it is known that rare earth permanent magnets (note that this is for permanent magnets, not varying or temporary magnetic fields) (of fairly small size) can effect airplane electronics and navigation, since most of this is in a bay just forward of the baggage hold where the magnets would be shipped.

Can't remember any ship we've been on where all walls and doors weren't metal. Haven't checked ceilings though.

DW always brings a bunch of refrigerator magnets to organize our papers on wall. Works great and have never received a complaint from steward. She also bought a set amazingly strong 40lb magnets on amazon that she uses to run a clothesline across cabin. Would easily support your iv bag.

Electric motors do not contain magnets, at least AC induction motors, as are used on ships for virtually everything, including the propulsion.

You might find this interesting, from the manufacturer of the Azipods (which is why I specified Azipods, and not every other type of electric propulsion on cruise ships):

http://new.abb.com/marine/generations/technology/azipod-c-gearless-propulsor-improves-operational-profitability

Relevant quote: As conventional geared propulsors are powered with an inboard induction motor, one unique and advanced feature of the Azipod C gearless propulsor is the permanent magnet propulsion motor. Unlike normal electric motor types, the rotor of a permanent magnet motor is naturally magnetized. Thus, the additional power consumption for magnetizing the rotor is saved.

And it is known that rare earth permanent magnets (note that this is for permanent magnets, not varying or temporary magnetic fields) (of fairly small size) can effect airplane electronics and navigation, since most of this is in a bay just forward of the baggage hold where the magnets would be shipped.

Yeah, but as you've already acknowledged, a ship is bigger than an airplane. And as I pointed out, they sell magnets in the gift shop. If magnets caused problems with their navigation equipment, they'd probably not do that. ;)

While I did not know that ABB was using permanent magnets in their azipods, however, those Azipod C units are limited to about 5Mw to date, so none are used on cruise ships. Those used on cruise ships have a externally excited field coil in the rotor to create the magnetic force required to attain synchronous speed. And the field strength needed to excite the motor is a very small percentage of the output power of the motor. So, the permanent magnets in the Azipod C units are not that immensely strong, given the output of 5Mw.

I do not really believe any of you should stop using YOUR magnets. Just frustrated with both special needs and supervisors stand on this since is ridiculous. I brought up the cabin decorations -special needs denied those use magnets. Interesting to learn that they sell magnets onboard.

Chengkp75 sounds like you really are an expert and know cruise ships. Between you and others replies. I feel assured I can make a strong magnet solution work. Will bring a few alternative options for jimmy rigging also. Travel IV poles just aren't very safe. I had a really bad experience with one so chucked it. I do have a lighter weight pole. Hook on the wall is always safest for me because do not trip over pole and on a ship they can roll with the motion. Finding a way has never been a problem before. I am just leaning towards rolling the dice with the magnets unless I learn from someone deck 6 should be any different.

From mixed comments about mattresses and so many negative ones. I know I must carry some sort of topper and pillow solution as well to be safe. RCCL will eventually solve the problem.

I appreciate so much the input from the forum. It has been a lifesaver. It is helping me get prepared so I can make some memories with my family. I wish I did not have to ask such questions and could travel carefree and not plan for everything. Family members booked RCCL first and asked us to join. I usually do much research before I book to make sure would be suitable for me. Did less before booking as time was an issue and TA assured me that RCCL would be as accommodating as other CL I have traveled with. They likely may be once onboard. I have not found RCCL special needs to be as easy as other CL to deal with on land by comparison. My needs have not changed. I simply asked them to clarify what already had been promised in writing (as others have) and found them lacking.

We had several magnet hooks attached to our walls last week that the stateroom attendant did not remove. We also had a foam egg crate topper on our bed that we never requested...the bed was very comfortable.

I hope you were in the cabin we’ll be in on the 30th!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been working at sea as an engineer for 42 years, 4 of which were on cruise ships as Chief Engineer. One thing I would point out, please don't take it as condescending as I had to point this out to people all the time on cruise ships, please, please if you have to go to plan "B" (and I don't think you will, the magnets will work on the ceiling) don't try to tie anything off to the sprinkler head. There is a very fragile glass bulb in there that is designed to break when the fluid inside heats up from fire, and just swinging a wire coat hanger at it can break it. Once it breaks, you will get more sea water in your cabin than you can believe, and it won't stop until someone checks that there isn't a fire, and then goes and shuts off the section valve. It has happened more times than I care to think about. Other options would be a hook over the closet door (might need to bungee the doors closed if the hook is too big), or something over the mirror frame. There is probably an air vent on the ceiling, or high on the wall, and a hook in here may work as well.

I've been working at sea as an engineer for 42 years, 4 of which were on cruise ships as Chief Engineer. One thing I would point out, please don't take it as condescending as I had to point this out to people all the time on cruise ships, please, please if you have to go to plan "B" (and I don't think you will, the magnets will work on the ceiling) don't try to tie anything off to the sprinkler head. There is a very fragile glass bulb in there that is designed to break when the fluid inside heats up from fire, and just swinging a wire coat hanger at it can break it. Once it breaks, you will get more sea water in your cabin than you can believe, and it won't stop until someone checks that there isn't a fire, and then goes and shuts off the section valve. It has happened more times than I care to think about. Other options would be a hook over the closet door (might need to bungee the doors closed if the hook is too big), or something over the mirror frame. There is probably an air vent on the ceiling, or high on the wall, and a hook in here may work as well.

Thank you for bringing it up but I am not an idiot and I would never consider touching the sprinkler or anything I saw sticking off the ceiling or wall that I did not know about. And even if I did consider it my DH would never assist so would not get done. If they posted pic of accessible cabins on Allure anywhere it would be helpful to spy options. Worst case scenario if plan did not work out, if did not find a good option near bed to hook to, if med center was unwilling to assist in a pinch, I could divide up my IV time during day hours attached to cabin curtains from the love seat etc..., use my padding to lie down on floor next to a door or cabinet I could hook to, or I could take my bag out onto the ship and attach and run my IV next to anything that worked from any venue I needed to be at. might find a pool lounge chair near a pole I could bungee cord to.I can always stop and start. I have done in a car though difficult and from many creative places.In past done while in church if on time sensitive meds attached to a wall with everyones blessing. My son is 6'5'',husband 6'2'', grandson 5'11'', I can put them to work holding the bag above my heart. Not so difficult since I am sitting on a scooter. How many options can we think of? But it is not going to come to that. The magnets are going to work just fine! After the frustration of yesterday I need some think positive.(yn)

A 20-30 pound magnet will work just fine for your IV bag. We take them on every cruise for “stuff”. And according to the TSA website they are fine to fly with. Boxes of them might not be but a few in your checked bags are just fine. And so far we’ve never had a steward on the ship say a word.

And I’m glad you still travel despite some medical issues. Have fun on your cruise!

Are your fluids on a pump?

Nope. If were, fluid would have to be refrigerated according to Duke and we would not be having this discussion because I could not consider a cruise. I also do best if done slowly over 8 hours or I lose it much too fast. I can drink little very little, only a few oz a day. Gravity works fine with a port. I do not even know if a pump would let me run as slow as I want but I assume would not need to "hang"the bag. But would be so restrictive needing the refrigeration just for saline. I nixed that option even when I had a pic and had trouble getting it to run.

Couldn’t find one on the Allure, but here is a link to a video of a deck 6 accessible cabin on Oasis.

Thank you! It is almost like RCCL wants info about the accessible cabins secret. Do not see pics and they keep many details such as actual sq footage of cabins and balconies unless you check with them.