Diminishing Quality on Carnival?

GMChambers

To all of you who shared your experiences both good and bad I say thanks for the worthwhile feedback. The point of my post was to ask other cruisers for their experiences based on their sailings on Carnival to see if our recent experiences were isolated or a general trend across the entire line. Some of you guys brought up some great points and it was really helpful. Maybe we will give it another shot.

For those of you who just wanted to bad mouth my post because I am new to CC, or "he hasn't posted in 2 years", or "you are just here to bash on Carnival" first I say grow up and quit acting like a schoolyard bully. I ask you what is the point of a message board if someone cannot ask a legitimate question based on observations made over a decade of cruising on Carnival. If you guys just want to sit around and talk about how great Carnival is and giving each other high 5's about your experiences be my guest. But for some of you to be so rude because I was simply asking a question is sad. My apologies if I offended your sensitivities in any way. Now go back to worshipping your "ship on a stick" door prize.

And they wonder why I haven't posted in 2 years...

I have to agree with you on the aggressive nature of these forums. I didn’t find that you were bashing Carnival or the other lines. Merely stating your opinion. I like to ask questions and and engage in message boards but have been hesitant here because it seems like you can’t have an opinion different from the others. As for quality of Carnival and other cruise lines, we’ve only done two on CCL and haven’t been on any others (Doing CCL Dream in June.) As much as we would like to do other lines , CCL for the money has the most value for us. Now would I love to book a suite on Celebrity or Princess and live the high life, definitely! Would it be a different cruise than a inside room on Carnival? Without a doubt. Same thing with Disney World. You can stay at a value resort on property and go as cheaply as possible or you can stay at a Deluxe resort and hit every extra event they have. Both trips will still be fun and exciting it’s what I make of it with my family. But I do agree that quality is lacking in some areas with CCL. But I know ahead of time and my expectations aren’t quite as high I guess. I’ve found that in the travel industry period quantity over quality is becoming the new norm (Looking at you Disney!!) Hotels are not always as nice on a general standard, airline service is rapidly declining, ect. Just my two cents and no I don’t post at lot on here either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did not read all the other comments on this thread, but I do agree with you. In general, service has declined in the cruise industry from the old days....remember this is a relative comparison. Service is still good...just not what it used to be like. I'm not sure if this is because of the automatic gratuities or demographic change in passengers/employees? Of the four cruise lines we like to sail (carnival, norwegian, royal caribbean, celebrity)...I would say Carnival has the most drastic changes. Having said that we still enjoy cruises and will continue to sail. Carnival is probably are least favorite at the moment for us....but for our kids its the best! They have a top notch kids program!

It's important to keep in mind that people who have sailed for years can see the changes. New cruisers unfortunately will not get to experience the awesome midnight buffets...they still do them but its not near as much of a "WOW" factor as it used to be.....the displays they have now...just picture ten times more. Service personnel used to bend over backwards for passengers....more so then they do now.

People change....generational differences.......it is what it is....we still LOVE to CRUISE!

Interesting....so cruise directors on other lines bash Carnival:confused: (Having sailed other lines I know this to be true). Maybe that is why they come here to bash (as well as on their own threads). Go figure.... I wonder why????

How about blowhole JH? He has spent a considerable amount of time bashing other lines for decades. I guess you slept in your Carnival cheerleader skirt last night. Do you have a Freddy teddy too?

How about blowhole JH? He has spent a considerable amount of time bashing other lines for decades. I guess you slept in your Carnival cheerleader skirt last night. Do you have a Freddy teddy too?

Big difference do I go over to royal threads and bash there? Answer no..... blowhole nice term. Done bashing yet? You make my point. Thanks. Check out royal champions for your homework assignment. Then come back when your better prepared to discuss further.

He might have double or triple checked....but he is wrong 6 nights or longer lobster is served period. I will save you the issue of disagreeing with him...I will.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think the change to 6 nights or longer didn't even start until late 2016 but it is immaterial as the poster claiming no lobster on his cruise was on the Dream last July (July 2017) and it was a 7 night cruise so they had lobster. Period. Granted, you have to go to the MDR on the proper night to get it but it was there.

First let me say that my wife and I are experienced cruisers and have cruised on Carnival, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Royal thus far. This post is not meant to bash on Carnival in any way... just looking for opinions. Does anyone else notice that it seems like Carnival is really going down hill quality wise? Food problems (quantity, variety, and temperatures), customer service issues, common area ship and stateroom cleanliness complaints, poor entertainment, etc. Is it just me or does it seem like Carnival is having problems? Our last Carnival cruise was very disappointing and we both agreed that our Carnival days were over until changes were made. Many small things like return guest perks, mints on the pillows, and complimentary toiletries in the stateroom bathrooms, to much larger issues like food, cleanliness problems, and a general feeling of a lack of concern for customer satisfaction. It also seems to me like the fleet is showing signs of age and they do not seem to be keeping pace with other lines in regard to introducing newer ships with more current features. I do understand that they try to be the "value" line and must keep costs low, but it just seems like their has been a real effort to take away the few last remaining reasons that we would choose to sail with them in the future.

I always get tickled when someone with a very small number of posts finds time to be critical of "X" cruise line. My first inclination is to think they are a troll, as this is the MO of most of them....new poster, small post count, does nothing but complain.

But, let's just say you are serious.....have you read any of the other cruise line boards? I mean you're an experienced Celebrity cruiser, right? There are plenty of threads in that forum about declining quality and cutbacks. What about NCL, or Royal? I bet you'd find threads on there as well.

Cruise lines are for profit companies and will make changes as they see fit so that investors are happy and they have money to spend on newer ships as the fleet ages, maintenance and "upgrades."

Some people don't want 5000 passenger cruise ships....I don't. Some people really don't care about mints on the pillow. The cleanliness issue is something that needs to be addressed and I am following the inspection reports to see if Carnival is making changes.

However, quality as a whole and across MANY cruise lines is NOT what it was 10 or even 5 years ago. That is just a fact. If that causes you not to cruise, then that is your decision.

It was a 7 night cruise in 2015 but it doesn't matter because we were very satisfied with the cruise. We got it for a ridiculously low rate. Couldn't beat it so we didn't care about lobster one bit and I am allergic to seafood anyway. Our room was large. Activities were fine. We liked it

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love Carnival. Most of my cruises have been with Carnival. That being said, yes, it has gone downhill in the past few years. Food quality. The little 'extras' that use to be there that have now disappeared. It's disappointing but not enough to make me drop Carnival. I have never had a bad time on a cruise - from any line. Until that time comes I will continue to cruise Carnival and love every minute of it.

Love Carnival. Most of my cruises have been with Carnival. That being said, yes, it has gone downhill in the past few years. Food quality. The little 'extras' that use to be there that have now disappeared. It's disappointing but not enough to make me drop Carnival. I have never had a bad time on a cruise - from any line. Until that time comes I will continue to cruise Carnival and love every minute of it.

I don't know all the extras that have been taken away on Carnival, but I doubt it holds a candle to NCL.

Big difference do I go over to royal threads and bash there? Answer no..... blowhole nice term. Done bashing yet? You make my point. Thanks. Check out royal champions for your homework assignment. Then come back when your better prepared to discuss further.

I have heard RCCL CDs take shots at Carnival I also witnessed Matt Mitchum Carnival CD make a junior cruiser promise to never sail on Royal Caribbean as part of his welcome aboard show. In both cases, they were stupid and wrong to do this. The majority of citizens have never cruised so all cruise commercials are not just selling a cruise line, but cruising in general. I am posting this from my cabin on the Liberty of the Seas thanks to the free WIFI that Royal gives me. I wish Carnival did also.

I have heard RCCL CDs take shots at Carnival I also witnessed Matt Mitchum Carnival CD make a junior cruiser promise to never sail on Royal Caribbean as part of his welcome aboard show. In both cases, they were stupid and wrong to do this. The majority of citizens have never cruised so all cruise commercials are not just selling a cruise line, but cruising in general. I am posting this from my cabin on the Liberty of the Seas thanks to the free WIFI that Royal gives me. I wish Carnival did also.

Why would Carnival give you free wifi on Royal?? Me thinks you missed my point.

Have heard Carnival CD's regularly put down other cruise lines and I am sure it is vice versa

I believe that is what is referred to as humor. Citizenship is not required to cruise. There is no free lunch or wifi. Someone is paying for it whether they know it or not.

We have done four cruises on Carnival, most recent the Sensation out of Miami last spring.

The pizza situation continues to be an issue... I find it not very good, and when it's one of the only things available, it's often with a very long line.

For the first time, this past cruise, I wasn't very impressed with our room steward. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but not very outgoing and kinda just did the bare minimum.

Otherwise, we are very happy with Carnival. We have a cruise booked next fall, and are looking at doing another one next January.

I can agree there is some give and take, that said, we saw an entire schtick in the comedy club on Oasis on Carnival and their clients that sail on them. Seen that on a Carnival ship?

I am a shareholder, a consumer, and a Diamond member of Carnival. I do not feel that they have taken a step down for any of those segments. They have developed 2.0 features for their new ships and have been adding them or parts of it on every class of ship in their fleet. And many of the things in 2.0 are NOT additional costs. And they have added some higher end dining options that are additional cost. I will take those changes and enjoy them as opposed to complaining about "cutbacks" like getting rid of cheap chocolates on pillows, not putting razors and lotions in the bathroom because the manufacturers decided to stop giving them free for that purpose, pretending that you can only get your cabin serviced once a day, pretending that there are no robes anymore, and constantly ragging Carnival about things that every other cruise line worth its salt have been doing as well. If you call those things letting the product slip, then you need to just pack up and go somewhere else. You obviously would be much "happier", but you may also realize that your expectations of those other lines will lead you to complaining about them just like you are complaining about Carnival now. Happy hunting.

All my cruises have been Carnival (8). Soon I'll be booking my 9th. on the new Horizon. True the newer Carnival ships are not the so called OMG stacked cakes of RCL but, the food has not disappointed me. I love to eat and it shows. One improvement that I applaud Carnival? Guys Burgers. The old hamburgers looked and smelled K-Mart ghetto cafeteria. Wouldn't touch those with a 10 ft. pole. Entertainment has been fine (punch liner Adult) comedy shows. However if the comics misconnect due to travel issues it's dreck Karaoke. But that can happen on line. One thing at least on the newer ships, Vista, Breeze. It's a two tier health spa system. If you want Jacuzzis, steam infrared saunas you have to pony up for Cloud 9 which is worth the upsell. I have noticed the locker rooms have exponentially shrunken and are not as opulent as the older ships. But, thankfully cleanliness hasn't gone down (IMHO). Last year on my truncated cruise on the Vista (a great ship) during the first hours on board including the Muster drill I felt like I got anchored in Baby Nation (yuck) However once we set sail and the muster drill was history any feelings of stinky noisy infant hell evaporated and I had mu usual outstanding time. As you can gather you'd have to make me an offer I couldn't refuse to even come within 100 feet of a Disney Cruise!