2 mores oasis ship on the way for 2023 and 2026

dub237

Royal needs to find some new ports that can handle all these larger ships. I love the Oasis class ships, but am getting tired of visiting that same limited number of places that can dock these large ships. You can only go to Charlotte Amale, Phillipsburg, Falmouth, Cozumel so may time..

SAN Juan, Labadee, Nassau, Costa Maya, Roatan, soon to be CocoCay, St. Kitts.

Sailing out of Florida there’s really only Grand Cayman and Belize (tender ports) that Oasis doesn’t call on. You can only get so far and return in 7 days. Other classes have the same limitations for 7 day cruises.

It sounds to me like this is still in the negotiating stage, and not yet to the "letter of intent" stage, both of which can still be cancelled without penalty should RCI's business model change over the intervening time.

Thanks Chief, was going say something similar...

So if a oasis class went to Australia. How would they get it there?

Around the capes??because their too wide for the canals.

And as stated a lot of ports can’t cope with quantum class.

I didn't think it was too wide for the Suez.

At the captains corner on ovation someone asked when will they bring a oasis to the pacific.

Can’t remember who answered,wasn’t the captain.

But they said it was too wide for the canals and they didn’t think RC would bring one around the bottom of one of the capes ( don’t no why)

And a lot of the ports would have trouble coping with a ship that size.

That was the official response.

For me ,the Asia-Pacific Cruise industry is booming and we have lost the voyager.so Australia is down a ship.

I think something will happen.

I have seen this pop up on FB as well. This is by no means a confirmation of an order, they are only stating that STX France are negotiating with RCI to build more ships.

Yes the source is a reliable one but they never say that the order is firm.

"Bonne nouvelle en perspective pour les chantiers de Saint-Nazaire, qui négocient la construction de nouveaux paquebots géants avec l’armateur américain Royal Caribbean International"

Regarding Australia as a destination, they do not say that an oasis class will go there, they say that one SHOULD be there by 2020. There is a difference between both.

"L’Australie devrait ainsi voir arriver son premier Oasis vers 2020"

P.S: I'm a native French speaker

That is the perfect example of fake news - shame on them!:mad:

I have seen this pop up on FB as well. This is a confirmation of an order, they are only stating that they are negotiating with RCI to build more ships.

The source is a reliable one but they say that the order is firm.

"Good news in prospect for the shipyards of Saint-Nazaire, who negotiate the construction of new giant steamers with the American ship owner Royal Caribbean International"

Regarding Australia as a destination, they do not say that an oasis class will go there, they say that one SHOULD be there by 2020. There is a difference between both.

"Australia should see its first Oasis arrive around 2020"

At the captains corner on ovation someone asked when will they bring a oasis to the pacific.

Can’t remember who answered,wasn’t the captain.

But they said it was too wide for the canals and they didn’t think RC would bring one around the bottom of one of the capes ( don’t no why)

And a lot of the ports would have trouble coping with a ship that size.

That was the official response.

For me ,the Asia-Pacific Cruise industry is booming and we have lost the voyager.so Australia is down a ship.

I think something will happen.

They'll just have to build 'em locally.

I really hope you're right, however I disagree.... I feel anything smaller than Voyager will not be under the "Royal Caribbean" brand name. The smaller ships do not fit the business model. I feel that there'll be some day coming where we'll have to sail on Azamara or other cruise lines to cruise on a ship under 100,000 tons.

I'm sorry to say, but I agree with you.

They are going down that road just now. Splendour, Legend and possibly Rhapsody. Enchantment is also or was up for sale. Looks like the partner groups like Tui, Pullmanter or Meine Schiff will be utilising the smaller ships.

Radiance Class is still small enough to do the Med and of course Venice.

While the Oasis class is not too wide for the Suez (47m waterline, 60.5m maximum beam versus 77.5m Suezmax), nor too deep (9.3m versus 20.1m Suezmax), she is too high for the power lines across the canal (72m versus 68m Suezmax), though if they take the original Oasis with the retractable funnels (not sure if they continued this on later ships), she might make it.

As for the Capes, she wouldn't go around the Horn, just for weather's sake, and Good Hope is a much more pleasant voyage, but the number of fuel stops would require a lot of logistics.

I really hope you're right, however I disagree.... I feel anything smaller than Voyager will not be under the "Royal Caribbean" brand name. The smaller ships do not fit the business model. I feel that there'll be some day coming where we'll have to sail on Azamara or other cruise lines to cruise on a ship under 100,000 tons.

I wouldn't be so sure about Radiance class disappearing. Keep in mind that Royal was set to sell of Majesty and changed course, and also brought Empress back. We just got off Brilliance and she is preparing for a dry dock reno later this spring so I'm guessing she's not leaving any time soon. Royal seems to do well with a ship home porting in Tampa, but I don't think the bigger ships can make it under the Sunshine Skyway so they need a smaller ship for ports like that.

I didn't think it was too wide for the Suez.

The Oasis class is not too wide for the Suez, the max beam there is 164'. Now for a possible "but"... I don't know about the air draft. The Mubarak Peace Bridge says the clearance is 230', I don't know if that is actual clearance or navigational clearance. Either way there is a problem unless they are still able to lower the tops of the stacks as they once did with the Oasis and Allure to clear the Great Belt Bridge.

Wouldn’t those terms just be due to the translation?

I don't know. I speak Italian but French is nothing like it.

Having grown up on a island that was served by true steamers we islanders were always a bit protective of the term. I guess that was why it caught my attention.

Radiance Class is still small enough to do the Med and of course Venice.

If Italy follows through, Radiance (and all larger) classes will dock on the mainland (rather than Venice) by 2021.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/venice-cruise-ship-ban-55-tonnes-marghera-port-where-is-it-italy-a8044026.html

By the year 2021, an Italian government committee chaired by transport minister Graziano Delrio has decided, cruise ships over 55,000 tonnes will no longer be able to pass through St Mark’s Basin and dock in the city.

Instead, they will sail through the Venice lagoon at a distance from the city, cut through at Malamocco (on the far end of the Lido, where the controversial Mose flood barrier is located), and dock on the mainland at Marghera, the industrial centre of the Veneto region.

http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Venice-Bans-Cruise-Ships-from-City-Center

This means that all ships from Carnival Cruise Line, all from Royal Caribbean aside from Empress of the Seas, and all from Norwegian Cruise Line will be banned from the canal.

If Italy follows through, Radiance (and all larger) classes will dock on the mainland (rather than Venice) by 2021.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/venice-cruise-ship-ban-55-tonnes-marghera-port-where-is-it-italy-a8044026.html

By the year 2021, an Italian government committee chaired by transport minister Graziano Delrio has decided, cruise ships over 55,000 tonnes will no longer be able to pass through St Mark’s Basin and dock in the city.

Instead, they will sail through the Venice lagoon at a distance from the city, cut through at Malamocco (on the far end of the Lido, where the controversial Mose flood barrier is located), and dock on the mainland at Marghera, the industrial centre of the Veneto region.

http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Venice-Bans-Cruise-Ships-from-City-Center

This means that all ships from Carnival Cruise Line, all from Royal Caribbean aside from Empress of the Seas, and all from Norwegian Cruise Line will be banned from the canal.

I have been following all the press reports from Venice.

I did the 12 night Med with overnight in Venice on Serenade in 2013 and they were meant to ban the big ships in 2015.

Local shopkeepers and the tourism offices were up in arms. This is a local political row.

They have dropped the speed limit and now water taxi's and vaporetto's cause more damage as they don't adhere to the limits

There have also been talk of building a dock at the entrance and water taxi the people in.

That hasn't happened either.

I have seen this pop up on FB as well. This is a confirmation of an order, they are only stating that they are negotiating with RCI to build more ships.

The source is a reliable one but they say that the order is firm.

"Good news in prospect for the shipyards of Saint-Nazaire, who negotiate the construction of new giant steamers with the American ship owner Royal Caribbean International"

"Australia should see its first Oasis arrive around 2020"

Sorry but no confirmation at all in that article and certainly no firm orders. Please do not change the meaning of my sentences :)

Edited by darthvadrouw

Interesting that the article uses the terms "steamer" and "ocean liner". I don't think these ships are actually either.

The article mentions "Paquebot" this term is used nowadays for either an ocean liner or a cruise ship. If you want to really specify what kind of ship it is you would use 'Paquebot de ligne' for the ocean liner and 'Paquebot de croisière' for the cruise ship.

Unfortunately automatic translation softwares do not make the difference and use ocean liner/steamer.

The article mentions "Paquebot" this term is used nowadays for either an ocean liner or a cruise ship. If you want to really specify what kind of ship it is you would use 'Paquebot de ligne' for the ocean liner and 'Paquebot de croisière' for the cruise ship.

Unfortunately automatic translation softwares do not make the difference and use ocean liner/steamer.

Thanks. I have always found the nuances of languages interesting. And they tend to be picked up by using the language but not so much by using Google!