MSC WORLD Class Ships

capitalbarry

My account of crowds is a fact having sailed on Seaside already.

The area of the bistro as you say could be better used as could the garage disco which is probably the worst on any of the ships we have sailed on.

I was on the Seaside for Spring Break and it didn't feel crowded to me or my family. There was 5100 passengers on board and 1000 kids. We never had to wait for a table at the buffet. We could always find a nice quite place to sit and relax, even on sea days.

• Like 1

I don't know if the numbers have changed but the Captain, on board the Seaside, said that the World Class will be the largest cruise ship in the world with 8000 passengers.

If this trend continues on most cruise lines it is going to get very crowded on the caribbean islands not to mention the islands that need to be tendered.

I don't know if the numbers have changed but the Captain, on board the Seaside, said that the World Class will be the largest cruise ship in the world with 8000 passengers.

World Class may have more passengers but the ship will not be larger than the Oasis Class (RCCL).

Not impressed with another Meraviglia ship with a different skin!

Exactly what does the World Class have incomon with the Meraviglia Class? Except the name MSC ?

I can't find any, it's not even going to be built in the same country.

I literally have no idea what you're even talking about. You say passenger numbers are higher than they should be based on what? Do you have a marine architecture or engineering degree? If you are so against MSC I really can't understand why you still even bother posting on this board. The Seaside is not overcrowded. For anyone booking in the future please rest assured the ship will be no more crowded than any other mainstream line mega ship. In fact, the NCL Breakaway class felt MUCH more crowded than the Seaside. As for the World Class ship it looks like a beautiful example of an engineering marvel.

Why attack another poster...as all opinions should be welcomed :). But it does not take a marine architecture degree to do a simple "space ratio" calculation. For example, many of the Princess ships have a space-ratio in the 38-40 tons per passenger. Celebrity's popular S-Class ships have a space ratio of around 40:1 and their new "Edge" Class ships will be about 44:1 or...consider that the new Viking Cruise Lines ships offer a space ratio of more than 50:1! The huge RCI Oasis class ships have a space ratio in the high 30s to low 40s (depending on how you count their capacity). If MSC puts 7000 passengers on a 200.000 ton ship...it would have a space ratio of about 28.5 which would be among the worst in the industry. And one needs to consider that MSC allocates a disproportionate amount of space to a few categories such as the YC. What this all means is that the ships would feel very crowded (if near capacity). One would assume that getting a deck chair would be a real hassle and the MDRs would feel crowded..

We also wonder where they would dock these monsters. Some of the European ports such as Civitavecchia and Barcelona can certainly handle the capacity. But many more European ports would either not handle such a vessel or be overwhelmed by the numbers. And the few Caribbean ports that could handle these monster ships are already being over run (and to some degree ruined) by hoards of cruisers. Some of us remember what places like St Thomas and St Maarten were like before there were large cruise ships. They were gorgeous charming islands with lots of terrific shopping. Now, the charm is gone, the cute boutiques replaced by Diamonds International, etc.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, statistics such as "space ratio" do not lie and are one of the best predictors of crowding.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I've read that the newer Norwegian ships (Breakaway, Getaway, etc.) are very crowded feeling. They also have the Haven Area, like the Yacht Club.

Anyone know what their space ratio is?

NCL's Breakaway/Breakaway Plus class of ships suffer more from "bottlenecks" than from actual crowding when outside of the Haven. The problem comes from people trying to get from point A to point B and converging in the same place. It makes the ship feel crowded unless people are savvy enough to use alternate methods of getting around the ship (there are ways to get around and avoid the crowds).

In addition, the pool decks seem crowded because (for some unknown reason) people want to be as close to the pool as possible. There are several loungers in other areas but people fight for the loungers right beside the pool as if that is the "place to be".

Crowding is also a matter of perception. A New Yorker who is accustomed to the NYC subway will deal with crowds on a ship better than someone who isn't used to being surrounded by hundreds/thousands of people. Personally, I enjoy the BA/BA Plus ships on NCL and I expect to enjoy Seaside in about 2 months.

Seaside space ratio is 31

Fantasia and Splendida are the best at 35 each.

Grandiose will be 28

While Opera is the worst at 26

According to Cruise mapper.com

Norwegian ships go from 30 with Breakaway to 36 with the Joy.

RCI go from 26 with Majesty to 36 with Harmony.

I would check my Fodor's books but they are currently in storage after a house move.

I do think MSC can be more creative with another solution for the deck 8 buffet overflow. I have walked through at dinner time and think they did a very good job at making it look like a nice restaurant.

Just of the Seaside yesterday.

The ship was totally sold out.

The Buffet on the 8th floor wasn't used as a overflow dining room.

We had dining at 7:30 and ate several nights in the buffet and it wasn't crowded at all.

Not impressed with another Meraviglia ship with a different skin!

Since you didn't answer last time:

Exactly what does the World Class have incomon with the Meraviglia Class? Except the name MSC ?

I can't find any, it's not even going to be built in the same country.

Aboard the Seaside last week...Captain Massa said that the World Class ships will be holding up to 8000 passengers!! Yikes!

What concerns me is that if MSC truly puts than many passengers on a ship that size...it will be anything BUT World Class. It will likely be very LOW Class. For 8000 passengers to have enough space one would need to build a ship in the 300,000 ton range....and then also build their own ports since not sure anyone would want a ship like that in their port. If they cram 8000 on a 200,000 ton vessel...I guess an apt description would be "tight pack" which is a term the slave traders used to use.

Hank

What concerns me is that if MSC truly puts than many passengers on a ship that size...it will be anything BUT World Class. It will likely be very LOW Class. For 8000 passengers to have enough space one would need to build a ship in the 300,000 ton range....and then also build their own ports since not sure anyone would want a ship like that in their port. If they cram 8000 on a 200,000 ton vessel...I guess an apt description would be "tight pack" which is a term the slave traders used to use.

Hank

Agree... They will have the same limited port options as RCL Oasis ships...atleast in the Caribbean. But they will have their Private Island!!

Agree... They will have the same limited port options as RCL Oasis ships...atleast in the Caribbean. But they will have their Private Island!!

MSC is an entirely different type cruise line from RCL. MSC is truly a worldwide line with a huge emphasis in Europe. If they do build 4 World Class monsters there is no way they will put them all in the Caribbean. So where will they take these monsters. Their size will limit them to major ports around the world (not a bad thing). But as one who has cruised all over the world (6 continents....no Antarctica) we have often found that the smaller more unusual ports are the most interesting. But these type ports are not a good fit for a mega ship. But I am sure that MSC is causing some head scratching in the executive suites of their competition. We think that most of the mass market lines owned by both RCI and CCL have become somewhat complacent...and have been cutting-back cuisine and services (and increasing prices) to enhance their bottom lines. But since MSC is a privately held company (mostly owned by a single family) they are able to think in terms of longer term strategy rather than "how much money can we make today."

We are a good example. Having been on far more then 100 cruises (with 14 cruise lines) we have become increasingly unhappy with the usual mass market folks. But now we have new players marketing to Americans including MSC and Viking Cruises...with Virgin soon to come. More competition is usually a good thing and we expect it to lift the quality of several lines.

Hank

• 11 months later...
On 3/30/2018 at 4:30 PM, Skier52 said:

Wait until Meraviglia gets to the USA, then you'll find out that these large MSC ships carry too many passengers for the space available.

Even in the Yacht Club there are too few sunbeds available for the number of YC guests, and the main open space , the shopping mall gets so crowded you can't physically move in it.

I know; been there, done that

Pete

I was just on Meraviglia last month, and it was fine. People that complain about the crowding really have nothing to complain about IMHO. You don't book on a 5,000 pax ship and whine that you cannot get a deck chair.  If you want super personal service, you book an upper premium (at the minimum) line. I go to Oceania when I want that level of service.