Grandure March 22nd - April 5th Only My Thoughts/Experience

Just for the purpose of qualifying the base from which the experience is measured, not a boast whatsoever only a reference point, DW and I are 41 & 46, D+ at 209 points.

We booked this itinerary as we had never sailed from Baltimore before and really have enjoyed the smaller ships. We don't need the new attractions or eye candy of the bigger/news ships but rather enjoy the interaction with staff and fellow cruisers. Everything below is an opinion and/or observation based only on our experience from this particular cruise.

Port: Arrived at the pier at 10:35, processed immediately, a 10 minute sit down and voila, on-board right at 11am. Utterly seamless.

Stateroom: Outside room, 2022 was ready at 1pm. During the 12 nights there were no surprises, everything worked, even survived the "shower curtain" :-) There was some rather loud banging while in rougher seas, like someone striking a very large hammer against an empty oil drum but this did not really take away from our enjoyment. Would likely select further astern in the future.

Housekeeping/Bar/Dining/CD Staff (excluding the CD & AM): Every one of them were great as they almost always are. We were constantly met with smiles and pleasant greetings but then again we are usually smiling and take part in whatever fun is on offer.

Food: For the first time I found the food a little pedestrian. Don't get me wrong, it's fine and there is choice but for those who have traveled with RC for many years you can see there is less choice, flare and flavor. Again it didn't take away from our experience and will have no impact on continuing to be loyal. We don't cruise for the food and please note we did not use the MDR at any time. Did Chops one night (16oz ribeye medium rare) and it was good but not great.

Drinks: We each had the deluxe package and never waited more than 30 seconds for a drink in any venue.

Ship: Yes there is some wear and tear but its very clean and cared for. No issues at all in this regard.

Ports: We've been to all (St. Marrten, Kitts, Thomas, John) except St. Lucia where we did the volcanic mud bath, it was fun but the 3-4 hour winding bus ride takes away from the overall enjoyment. As for the other stops it's nice to see the recovery from last years hurricanes is happening but many locals expressing frustration with the slow pace of repairs etc.

Activities on-board: Like any department on the ship it requires inspired leadership to deliver and continue to deliver week after week cruise after cruise. Equally I am completely aware there is only so much you can do with game shows, trivia, quest, karaoke etc but to say this one was sedate would be an understatement. This disposition seemed to permeate the energy level of the activity staff and not to be discourteous but the CD was a complete snooze fest. Nice guy but I've had more fun doing laundry. The CD and AM had no chemistry/energy which was a first for us and again for the first time as long as we can remember we'd rather watch the port shopping channel than the morning show.

There were a few negative experiences to report mostly due to a few (very few) fellow cruisers. One had asked the diamond lounge concierge to have me to leave the happy hour because I had shorts on, not swim or active wear, I was wearing short pants. He did ask me to move to the back of the overflow lounge, which DW and I did. I discussed it with the loyalty ambassador the next day and then met again with the diamond concierge and discovered a wonderful young man who is of ten thousand times the character than my anonymous agitator. My short pants (nor anyone wearing them) were an issue after that.

My final observation was from the trivia's. We like them to meet others, have some fun and discover what you know or thought you did. For the first time ever there were a group of about 6 B2B2B2B2B2B2B cruisers who kept playing and winning and collecting the prizes. Staff were powerless to do or say anything. Many others grew quite angry at their juvenile behavior day after day. We pitied them. If your source of joy and/or entertainment comes for taking the same opportunity of experience from others yours is a state from which money or status will not deliver you.

Disembarkation: 10 minutes tops, most efficient we've ever had.

Still enjoyed it overall but it's our first time saying we won't do that itinerary again.

Edited by DrewFoundLander

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I'll be on her in a week, and look forward to comparing my experience to yours.

I know what you mean about the trivia. It is quite annoying. Why do people do this? How can it be entertaining for them? I just don't understand.

I have heard a wonderful rumor, that Mike Szwajkowski is on or will be boarding the Grandeur. Instead of suffering through a bad CD, we will have THE BEST.

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I'll be on her in a week, and look forward to comparing my experience to yours.

I know what you mean about the trivia. It is quite annoying. Why do people do this? How can it be entertaining for them? I just don't understand.

I have heard a wonderful rumor, that Mike Szwajkowski is on or will be boarding the Grandeur. Instead of suffering through a bad CD, we will have THE BEST.

Mike takes over on April 14. I have heard some less than positive reviews of Bob, so Mike should be a welcome change for Grandeur cruisers.

My final observation was from the trivia's. We like them to meet others, have some fun and discover what you know or thought you did. For the first time ever there were a group of about 6 B2B2B2B2B2B2B cruisers who kept playing and winning and collecting the prizes. Staff were powerless to do or say anything. Many others grew quite angry at their juvenile behavior day after day. We pitied them. If your source of joy and/or entertainment comes for taking the same opportunity of experience from others yours is a state from which money or status will not deliver you.

I bet that group was selling all the prizes on E Bay right after that cruise!

Trivia has been an issue for a while. There are repeat cruisers who play everytime, every cruise only to "win". Newbies rarely stand a chance and it has become not fun. We haven't gone to trivia for a few years. I have no problem with people playing but if you know the answers from previous cruises, give someone else a chance, especially someone new to cruising.

Who were the CD and AM?

Bob Leininger (CD) and Cecy Del Razo (AM). Both very pleasant personalities but no fun or entertaining banter between them, like complete strangers who just met and each doing their job for the first time. Both were just going through the motions and barely that most of the time.

Thank you for your thoughtful viewpoint - Our qualifying base is similar to yours although we thoroughly enjoy dining in the MDR. Having never sailed out of Baltimore or on her, DH & I are looking forward to boarding Lady G next week for our B2B.

(Wondering if we too will encounter the same B2B2B2B2B2ers.)

Can't believe someone would be so petty as to ask you be removed from the DL for wearing shorts. Was the lounge crowded and did they have overflow in the South Pacific lounge? We are also diamond and really enjoy the DL on the Grandeur our last two cruises did not have a large number of diamonds and every one fit in the actual lounge with no problem. We sail again on the Grandeur May 5th and am looking forward to the happy hour in the lounge.

Hi All,

I was on this cruise as well, and as far as Big Bob goes...we were calling him Big Boob after a few days (and we're in our 60s). We thoroughly enjoyed any activity Orlando was in charge of. Such a wonderful asset to the ship. He just has a marvelous way of getting people involved and so quick with a funny comment all the time. I wish he was the CD. We went to watch the dance classes he ran just to see him interact with guests. He is a true gem for RCI.

Also as far as food, I agree with the OP. The same deserts were offered every night with only 2 new items each day. Same went for appetizers and entrees had the same with about 3-4 new things. We were very disappointed that every night the only side vegetables served with every entree were under-cooked broccoli and 3 thin slices of carrots. I always asked for a baked potato, but it never occurred to me or my table mates until about 10 nights into it that we could ask for some other sides. We did, and our wonderful waiter brought us both a large plate of different things. But I think there should have been more variety and we should not have had to ask to begin with. For the most part, we liked what we got.

Di you remember if they offered the 10 draft beer card for $49 on your cruise? We are boarding Grandeur on the 26th. I’m so glad to get Mike for Cd!

There were definitely signs on all the bars offering the 10 draft beer card for $49 US + 18%. I’m not sure if they arrived on day three or four.

The only draft beers available on this ship at all of the bars was Heineken. Heineken Light and Newcastle Brown at a couple of locations as was Strongbow Cider.

On a separate note Stella Artois was removed from the beer menu options on this past cruise however we were told by the bar and beverage manager it is being re-introduced if not the next cruise it will be as soon as possible. Also Becks is no longer available on any ship that does not have a pub.

OP - you said you would not do this itinerary again. Did you not care for the port stops? Just curious as DH and I have been thinking about booking this particular cruise next December.

The experience you had with shorts in the DL is ridiculous. This is a lounge, the purpose of a lounge is relaxation, refreshment, and camaraderie. Short pants do not interfere with ANY of the above. My hat is off to you for handling it in a classy manner, but you certainly should not have had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In regards to " a group of about 6 B2B2B2B2B2B2B cruisers who kept playing and winning and collecting the prizes"

I was on Grandeur recently, and the staff running the trivia game asked "those cruisers" if the 2nd place team could be the winners. I thought that was a nice way to handle this problem which I too have seen too often. I like to play just to see what I know. I can't imagine being competitive about the prizes RC gives out (key chains and highlighters).