Round Trip Cruise to Hawaii from LA or San Francisco

5kitty

We have done the Hawaii R/T twice out of Los Angeles. We love it. However, we also have no trouble entertaining ourselves. So, the Sea Days are wonderful. We're even OK with Ensenada. I, personally, enjoy getting off the ship and walking around the town for an hour, or so.

The port being a one-hour drive from home makes Los Angeles an easy decision. In the case of the OP, however, I would suggest San Francisco over Los Angeles because it is so much easier to tack on a couple extra days before or after your cruise to see the sites. San Francisco is very compact and has an excellent public transportation system. So, getting from Point A to Point B is relatively easy. Los Angeles is the exact opposite--spread out with poor public transportation. Somebody mentioned that the departures from Los Angeles are very efficient, and I would certainly agree with that, However, with the opening of the new terminal at Pier 27 in San Francisco, I would argue that departures from there are equally efficient. Somebody mentioned departures from Vancouver. I have no opinion, there. However, it is certainly worthwhile for the OP to check that out.

I have to comment on Judy's post.

We have done this cruise out of LA 3 times and loved them all. We really enjoy sea days. If you're not a fan of sea days, this probably isn't a good cruise for you. We found the first set of sea days to be very relaxing and we were definitely ready to get off the ship in Hawaii. We were on the go at every port and were ready for some relaxing time on the way back. The stop in Ensenada is not much but if you have never been there, it's worth getting off the ship for. We had very rough seas on the way back on one of our cruises which delayed our arrival in Ensenada and no one was allowed off the ship. We went in to port just for the paperwork for the ship. If you are lucky enough to be on a ship with Dave and Elua you are in for a treat. There has also been a naturalist on each of our cruises who did some very interesting talks on Hawaii and its history.

You subsequently posted that you thought this was in March. I'm going to ask if this sounds familiar.

In January 2013 we took our second Hawaii roundtrip on the Golden Princess. The day before embarkation I received an "Emergency" e-mail from Princess. They asked us to postpone our arrival at the port the next day. The inbound cruise (from Hawaii) had encountered "heavy weather," and it was anticipated that its arrival in Los Angeles would be delayed several hours.

The next day, at about 8:00 am I booted up my PC, checked the Princess web site and checked the Golden Princess webcam. There was the Vincent Thomas Bridge. Apparently, the ship had arrived in Los Angeles at about its scheduled time.

When we sailed out of port that evening, we were advised that we would not be taking the normal route to Hawaii. In order to avoid the dregs of a hurricane we would be heading more westerly than normal, then make a sharp left down to the islands. Mrs. XBGuy, the foul weather cruise, was pretty excited. She wants bumps. She was to be disappointed. though. Our transit was quite uneventful. It was humorous, though, chatting with various waiters, however. Pouring wine into moving wine glasses or pouring coffee into moving cups during that in-bound transit was nontrivial

Lynn, your sailing a month after us and on Hilo, we really enjoyed the Tour called Land of frozen Fire, so will re take this one so the daughter can enjoy. It takes you along the areas where the lava traveled down the hillsides into the ocean. Very different then the National Park. We will be on the Emerald.

Gay

Recently completed just that on Star princess out of Los Angeles.

Here is the link to my full review...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2018/04/01/star-princess-hawaiian-islands-adventure/

...which has over 70 photographs including the itinerary.

26544656568_c7c603c555_z.jpg

Early morning arrival at Honolulu...

26226527197_e182e020c3_z.jpg

Aloha!

Many mahalos for your kind words in your VERY thorough and VERY good review. It is both Leialoha’s and my pleasure to share with our guests our culture and our love for our islands, and we are so touched when people partake and enjoy.

Aloha Nui!

Tiki Dave

(Of Elua)

We are thinking about doing a 15 day cruise out LA or San Francisco to Hawaii...if I recall, it makes stops at 4 islands. I am looking for thoughts from anyone who has done this similar cruise. Did you enjoy the stops and all the sea days? We haven't cruised on Princess in awhile but do have done some 7 day and a 10 day cruise on the line. This past year we cruised on another cruise line out of New York City (convenient train ride for us) but didn't enjoy it as much as our cruises on Princess. Please feel free to share your likes and dislikes about this cruise. Thanks.

First time we did this cruise we looked at staying on board for a B2B we liked it so much. Sea days were great. When we did the cruise they still stopped in Kona and it made for 5 long days. Doing it with 4 makes some sense. As for ports, we rented cars except the first time on the big Island, I took a tour to the volcano national park there. Next time we rented a car and I took everyone with us on the same type of tour. In Kauai we drove to the canyon one time and Hanalei Bay the next. To long of a day for both and the traffic can be bad. Honolulu is tough to get a rental the last time I looked as the rental location near the port closed. First time we took the rental over to drop me off the the Arizona and DW and son drove to the beach. The second time we went snorkeling and a drive completely around the island. In Maui we went to the top of Haupa'Akea Peak both time with some side trips. Once out to the East shore were the world class windsurfers practice. I hope this gives you some Ideas.

Lynn, your sailing a month after us and on Hilo, we really enjoyed the Tour called Land of frozen Fire, so will re take this one so the daughter can enjoy. It takes you along the areas where the lava traveled down the hillsides into the ocean. Very different then the National Park. We will be on the Emerald.

Gay

DW just said "Sounds good to me" (Emerald, Dec 4)

We are thinking about doing a 15 day cruise out LA or San Francisco to Hawaii...if I recall, it makes stops at 4 islands. I am looking for thoughts from anyone who has done this similar cruise. Did you enjoy the stops and all the sea days? We haven't cruised on Princess in awhile but do have done some 7 day and a 10 day cruise on the line. This past year we cruised on another cruise line out of New York City (convenient train ride for us) but didn't enjoy it as much as our cruises on Princess. Please feel free to share your likes and dislikes about this cruise. Thanks.

We have done that very same cruise. You do get so many sea days and that is really nice. My disappointment had nothing to do with the ship or what Princess has to offer, but rather the weather going over and coming back.

Unlike the Caribbean sailings, the days at sea are rather cool. At least it was for us. Pleasant but not like tropical. Quite frankly I was surprised, but my husband, the "egg head" explained it to me...about currents, blah blah.

If you enjoy spending a fair amount indoors on the ship and the activities ...no problem. Would I do the trip again? Not likely. The port stops were okay.

Our favorite on Maui was the Maui Ocean Center...however it took about a half hour to get there (I think) and we had about 2 hrs (my memory may not be correct). There is much to see and we actually did not get to see it all and enjoy the concessions, exhibits, etc. Of course if you end up there on a Sat or Sun it will be crowded.

We also did the Hawaii and South Pacific Cruise nine years ago...and the South Pacific islands were AMAZING!!! Bora Bora and Moorea are incredibly exquisite and out of this world.

That cruise of course was 33 days when we did it and I think now, it is offered as a 29 day?

Anyways, my two cents is that I prefer the 10 day southern Caribbean cruises. The weather is warm for most of the cruising, and the ports are interesting and it is truly a tropical "feel".

My DH is an avid stargazer. Do the Hawaii cruises have the Discovery Stargazing program?

Yes they do. You have to sign up the morning of Stargazing event. There were 2 or 3 of those if I remember right. The space is limited because you meet at the tallest deck and only so many people can fit there. I have always wanted to do that but it never works out time wise. Also, you never know when it will be cancelled because of cloudy skies.

Someday, I hope to catch it.

Yes they do. You have to sign up the morning of Stargazing event. There were 2 or 3 of those if I remember right. The space is limited because you meet at the tallest deck and only so many people can fit there. I have always wanted to do that but it never works out time wise. Also, you never know when it will be cancelled because of cloudy skies.

Someday, I hope to catch it.

I have only done this one time in order to see the southern cross. With having spent over two months in areas where it could be seen, I had never seen it as it was not disable when I was out. Dispute clouds they held it. There was a hole big enough to see it for a few minutes after a bit of a wait.

I have done both LA and SFO r/t to Hawaii several times each and LOVED all of them all

If you haven't sailed beneath the Golden Gate Bridge, then I would definitely go r/t from San Francisco. I love being on the top deck when we go beneath the GGB, feeling like you could almost reach up and touch it.

I have done both LA and SFO r/t to Hawaii several times each and LOVED all of them all

If you haven't sailed beneath the Golden Gate Bridge, then I would definitely go r/t from San Francisco. I love being on the top deck when we go beneath the GGB, feeling like you could almost reach up and touch it.

Are you on the Royal when it stops there in May next year? Should be even closer!

We did this from LA, and it was a great cruise. I love sea days, so that was wonderful. Loved the port days too. We rented cars and just went wherever our whims took us. If we do it again, it'll probably be from San Francisco since it's much closer. And it's much more fun sailing from there.

I’m prejudice since I live the in San Francisco but going under the Golden Gate Bridge can’t be beat either in LA or Van Vancouver. It’s a site not to be missed. When I went under the GG Bridge on a large cruise ship for the first time it brought back memories as the last time I was on a large ship doing that was 1966-67 on the US Coral Sea CVA 43 Golden going to Vietnam.

The cruise to Hawaii is a great experience especially if you have a great duo, David & Eula, (Faline) that provide lectures, Ukulele classes, & musical concerts. A group not to be missed. Sure to get you in the Hawaii mode.

Tom😀

Thank you for your service!(y)(y)

Hi Jasperdo, I looked at your pics of your Hawaii cruise on the Star. They are great! Can you tell me if you took ship excursions and which ones? I would like to know what days were the formal nights? I'm taking the Ruby out of LA to Hawaii in April 2019 and I'm so excited! I'm thinking about taking my ukulele with me so I can participate in the lessons. Do they have several onboard or should I go ahead and bring mine? I'm looking forward to the sea days and the activities!

Thank you so much!

Lynn

Thank you for the compliment. Glad you liked the photos. We didn't take any ship excursions on either trip. We took the local bus both times in Honolulu. It goes to Pearl Harbor and Waikiki Beach. We also just walked around downtown Honolulu. In Hilo we rented a car both times. The first trip we went to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. The second time we headed north to Akaka Falls and sightseeing around Hilo. Both Lahaina and Kauai were skipped the first cruise due to bad weather. The second time around we rented a car on Kauai and went north to Hanalei and Kilauea Lighthouse. In Lahaina we took the city bus up to Whalers Village for awhile, then explored downtown Lahaina on foot.

As for formal nights, they were on the second sea day going to the islands, and the first and fourth sea day on the way back. But this is subject to change, so double check the Patters onboard to be sure. The ship provides ukuleke's for the lessons, but you're always welcome to bring your own.

Greetings! My darling wife and I have cruised 14 days (now 15 day cruise) to Hawaii 2013 from LA once and also cruised 15 days to Hawaii 2016 from Vancouver once. Both were wonderful cruises, but in 2017 we took the cruise of a lifetime, "The 28 day to Hawaii, Samoa and Fr. Polynesia". It was simply spectacular and we had such a wonderful time, it would be hard for any other cruise to TOP IT!

Also, need to say Hi to Paul929207.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Just Mike

Like other folks here, I too have done this multiple times, 2 out of L.A. (Golden and Star) and 2 out of S.F (Star and Grand) and I love everything about this cruise. Sea days, ports and ship life. I did a video on my last cruise that shows some fun stuff and sights not normally focused on in ship videos. The link is below if you want to get a flavor for this Hawaiian cruise. Mark

Greetings! My darling wife and I have cruised 14 days (now 15 day cruise) to Hawaii 2013 from LA once and also cruised 15 days to Hawaii 2016 from Vancouver once. Both were wonderful cruises, but in 2017 we took the cruise of a lifetime, "The 28 day to Hawaii, Samoa and Fr. Polynesia". It was simply spectacular and we had such a wonderful time, it would be hard for any other cruise to TOP IT!

Also, need to say Hi to Paul929207.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Just Mike

Hi mike!

Wanna try again for the 28 night in 2019???? Please, please? [emoji120]

Michele

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Like other folks here, I too have done this multiple times, 2 out of L.A. (Golden and Star) and 2 out of S.F (Star and Grand) and I love everything about this cruise. Sea days, ports and ship life. I did a video on my last cruise that shows some fun stuff and sights not normally focused on in ship videos. The link is below if you want to get a flavor for this Hawaiian cruise. Mark

Are they still doing the scrap heap chalenge on this cruise?

OK, i'll bite. what's the scrap heap challenge ? Everything on the buffet ?? We're booked on Emerald out of LA in january. Mike in CT

I saw the two posts about this. Working at getting some images ready for adding to a post.

Hmmmm, I am going to have to review the patters. I do not remember that:confused:

The scrap heap challenge was a competition usually started on one of the early sea days and takes place at the end of the cruise. The challenge is to make a device to float a case of beer (later sodas) across the pool. Rules vary, but basically the floating portion needs to be made from scrap.

The first one here was from the Star Princess in 2009 sailing Sydney to LA. (STAR-> RATS)jf4xg-boTH4KC1w3Xb58dpu3qQvzOYoFv9yOFYrYUGdHz4jwKBdCEYTijhyJiBqwUxJ2v3yMGuE1rWrcihNNw3eNkeW1l4CCdiRzoMEKjW1BAMOOkd2xXXVrkIXTHKbJyPLlNItYOz6gG5GTK6Old1ve4JFF1Sm1EdVqBdKwzc8m7VxsZz0KGwH0MFUlpi1D5fdHiNj3GHN0CEdCF7xal3i_daN0ro4uXPwQsGyF05kTfR6eabByXIp2QWMZCTbwjwOLoJaxgCGWCJdLoWxdauZOqJuuXmCGDhWMhBNN6JHoygImXDp56JVo9gUauAtl8WcqfqzMm-V0qOOsnPXsVi31GuA3npZQpKvvIETNvVGVTOc11n3IoXVtqBOtZTvaANZn_BCPuWcAiWiu1g5KnmqI9fHfhsk5S_rtWKZWujtcn6gIw4XkGksZDQoODSHwXy7nQ2rbasPZszNpwQ2sGksM6leEPcvL8agbH8n0IIa3W9AVbKlW9VNWY6K5R5CtTye6wPBhtmacmCKyzc6jD86YF_He2QnsKWgbcl6aZ1Y4w_15_4LzUkFeFoY5KaoQWccCMQBAbTEYmZBwGJBCusNXR6dgpT4JvpL6fm4=w640-h480-no

The next two were from the Star Princess 2016 Buenos Aires to LA.

BLDlbOfluOOvYpjrqfJEJFwQdwBxs0n8Kpy7jDIEzkG1TizlFP9QZDrBEYPQa7pOos1eUGObg-blBUjvl-3fX-NNR2SLnw9B_tOoID45SdZ2djXaKHIsY1WSfDoWwsk8vRZ1bkndzhBIJ7v4h_vdnHVBLiSYiJMbsMLOHcNfOy0txJ-5L8TBN1V_lOKUKjl7SyKccz4hbNAKnO-TUCN3F6qkHJa0yIhtycJ6wegzRUdzk-rzXMq7PP5vsoIVFWpWEMeusJ1A7CqfrZti_5S3ACwlKTyFVKnFdtH8JQ5TYFNukEZxu19twMoEp_0avL87f_-dExylK9-PNc7KDQ_STHnooomdwVr5O2B8XhT19EbaXTtUa5TRnHC0fJPCfSVKMyKOF1spvMNiMH362CYyJESKPxOBcb3ew7p3NOGbfAaCi-a2bAuDrc1r3vbpEc8uxbY_OCaDFwqPm0wQPyzzX1LPAs8WURbB6iqHLeUFhtuVQfEzpsqmh9rex-ronYdOKVSSLQufXvbHMkK5SHLGe1xrs92ZQ4UimrX1Yax2CLqeA63GA8pRXI6JGk3GGo485AvI_-1RGbK4LNWg-J7fsC4zJ9XCdZxywr-NCTr7PPceBEVibFAeg-7oUa3mSRoEF4Dt12CyCWKZlLQwBiUh7YEorUQ2izxU=w448-h322-no

V1pPtIXjM3EmopxZBV8UK-btulxTFsEBDWUcXmQyo_FNCLm7EVPrTZLpQOGRWQycGmm0Vuq1y74VAtL0VAyDggM6epb9WVBSyLX2cELWrDcY_QcskVPKQdpoyfmQceSscQe2MBXjxEH1uEypZa_bspZ-YcVVYdPkgZNLHZAxnPMCDc77BRpjOf0TY6Kg1JpcetwxLQ7wbhKuWIePMaypEKZIe5ROL9-iahVXEm3w9HcCSNB0WKVu1lmz08g0ezZOvkuH0t7zzGzXbiHJ8bD7NLYHq4CR8Y36nXrL9F35O4UtCltrC_xZ9piS-XYYtVHnuhZHWoVvUZZKlSvMTc2Hwza4FrXkwqMXe6UKIoNtEmVuJuZ8ENjUDXqrvmlu_rTmg4cTuLcPXgfG-pG15n7LBgWGPSPD7M_mYxhVv0eKLK00oDyN62FzOi--YY7SzsZhGh7aOglw9gDfxo20HsZjz6R8u49oCwS5fLGoFSaq8Jqjudbq2zSGSUCd_TTiCsUd6KnNUK8pBVI0hCcSf1gjMatvjXcQN1DKvK8quwdltIFHmqMDi4S3AfjUfEn_jS4KcZRGxpl9rMxh0pWnzpDl2Gsbgd0fwRLfFiigNma7UgUy_olZBchCfJLWi5Tgv96lf2eQH3iYS-ZL4vhkCxQma8Ga6ZLgAN2d=w336-h380-no

The last one was from the Crown Princess (cruise to Norway and Iceland obviously) in 2014 I believe.

ieaAHlVoywRKS9D9Epe-kwuRTFg_hBiYNIG3rO700V3Z7QjXcEBj7WouQmDgDFHktjZpZLe6f34gNijjHHyoOkPJACROzxHdHRJIk-ZDzlRM1PYF3Y9qHbHFQAUt1yGd8fnW3gqbEDU2xc_cmNlIF2ErJh9bT-xYprSmsNKFXlo0VAcxW5huFf92E450LZ1V5b7qvVcFSag9QfhOjLpTIDUh782117uWHGQ7zchk8vdG3V-tdqN66DOgodSNVoLbyP2V1hs8M5S1VDr2jsXNimZ5CwcgXz0mjE2YtKyIcTGw-ovXdev9GZNPwIr36hNPJfE2pv5s1WzNxHnWnpwdicnvxIk9mByC7Tke9SQx6Kp2CgkC3MpYHaeCWk8fYjJPv6O-bksq4ZsPlbHLVk1rgnIosJCLgVNUrawlEPsqzg3c1YdCmwv2n-5fmCuO49vdB0eabYRzsR6zkJ6xKGWK8-0WpjGb50JFofCcTStt734VAvLiDhm_SJXImi3FmUJhgVWrud6mnTkzAaqfVar0mKLc8-dC26oXcRO7TsMu83VbOE5rZopXcxv38oqgdD7k_u0eZBMBHJ6NdtCeLJh9Gkwt6GJ9Nbs4IxErdA=w336-h354-no

The first three we made (not pictured here) were much more crude. One was out of PVC and water bottles, another just water bottles, and the third with broom sticks, plywood, and water bottles.

All of them were run away winners except the one at the top. It received a zero from one judge and only won by one point. The judge (wife of one of the other team members) said she thought we had bought it. The Princess host actually came up to us and asked to examine it at the end to make sure it met the rules, which it did. The boat itself actually was completely made from cardboard with a water bottle frame on the inside. The 20 cannons were made from wine corks, cardboard and washers. Crows nest was duct tape and cardboard. Masts were bamboo we found in Hawaii.

Some of the competitions involved a team theme. For one of those all six team members went in grass skirts and coconuts and we built a Kon Tiki raft with a hula girl bobble head doll for the captain. (You got to have a captain or the boat won't float!) It was ugly!

Of coarse they all had a lot of string and duct tape (I just love that sticky stuff) and big tips to the room stewards!