Round Trip Cruise to Hawaii from LA or San Francisco

5kitty

We are thinking about doing a 15 day cruise out LA or San Francisco to Hawaii...if I recall, it makes stops at 4 islands. I am looking for thoughts from anyone who has done this similar cruise. Did you enjoy the stops and all the sea days? We haven't cruised on Princess in awhile but do have done some 7 day and a 10 day cruise on the line. This past year we cruised on another cruise line out of New York City (convenient train ride for us) but didn't enjoy it as much as our cruises on Princess. Please feel free to share your likes and dislikes about this cruise. Thanks.

We have done the South Pacific cruise on Princess. It is 28 days with stops in 4 Hawaiian posts, Samoa and American Samoa and 3 ports in French Polynesia. 9 ports and 18 sea days, We loved it. It is R/t LA

My wife and I have done the round trip out of Los Angeles twice. We enjoyed it a lot. It's a nice mix of relaxing sea days, coupled with a sampling of the four main Hawaiian Islands. Princess has a very good Hawaiian cultural program during sea days. There will be hula lessons, ukulele classes, Hawaiian music, etc. The cruises out of LA usually have the husband and wife team Elua onboard. They are wonderful musicians and excellent ambassadors for Hawaii. If you're interested, I have the photos I took on both sailings below in my signature, along with the daily "Patters", which will give you an idea what to expect onboard.

Another option is RT out of Vancouver. We did that one in Sept. 2017 because 1) we love Vancouver and enjoyed the excuse to spend more time there, and 2) Elua was onboard that cruise. Google Elua and you'll find a link to their website with their upcoming schedule. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, though wish they sailed by the volcano and stopped in Kona.

For a cruise having so many sea days, we check the ship deck plans to make sure the ship has a Skywalkers. Without Skywalkers as a quiet daytime retreat, cool or damp sea days can get very crowded & noisy in the other public spaces. We're very disappointed that the newer Princess ships do not have a comparable space for quiet enjoyment of the ocean.

We have done this cruise out of LA 3 times and loved them all. We really enjoy sea days. If you're not a fan of sea days, this probably isn't a good cruise for you. We found the first set of sea days to be very relaxing and we were definitely ready to get off the ship in Hawaii. We were on the go at every port and were ready for some relaxing time on the way back. The stop in Ensenada is not much but if you have never been there, it's worth getting off the ship for. We had very rough seas on the way back on one of our cruises which delayed our arrival in Ensenada and no one was allowed off the ship. We went in to port just for the paperwork for the ship. If you are lucky enough to be on a ship with Dave and Elua you are in for a treat. There has also been a naturalist on each of our cruises who did some very interesting talks on Hawaii and its history.

Have done it three times, once Carival and last two on Princess. Ports were great and always finding new stuff to do.

Lots of stuff to do during the day. Last one was out of San Fran on the Grand. Liked the ship but not as much variety on Horizon Court as Ruby so all things being equal would probably do it on Ruby if we do it again.

We have done this cruise out of Vancouver twice. Really enjoyed them. As a previous poster mentioned, having Elua on board was nice.

There are a little too many sea days for my taste, and a stop on the Kona side would have been great, but I would take the cruise again if it fit our schedule.

I've done from both ports.

I love the cruise to Hawaii, taken many times. Love Hawaii (done land trips too)

and love sea days also. Ships have Hawaiian couple doing different things around the ship.

Depends if you like sea days and like to do things the cruise has to offer during the days.

Trivia, movies, different games, music ect.

Main thing why people choose one port over another is where they live.

If live in LA area take that one, don't have to fly to SF. If live in SF area take

that one don't have to fly to LA. Some pick one over the other because of the ship.

If flying from another state you have a choice to visit the city, SF is beautiful.

I think easier port than San Pedro.

Neither SFO or LAX are all that near the cruise docks, so that's a wash. Don't remember

enough about Vancouver to opine. Pier 93, LA, does embarkation/debarkation very well.

Vancouver has one extra day at sea and no visit to Ensenada.

San Francisco has an extra half day at sea (only 4 hours in Ensenada).

LA has a full day in Ensenada.

In MNSHO, choose based upon whether you like Star, Grand, Ruby, or Emerald best.

We have done this cruise out of LA 3 times and loved them all. We really enjoy sea days. If you're not a fan of sea days, this probably isn't a good cruise for you. We found the first set of sea days to be very relaxing and we were definitely ready to get off the ship in Hawaii. We were on the go at every port and were ready for some relaxing time on the way back. The stop in Ensenada is not much but if you have never been there, it's worth getting off the ship for. We had very rough seas on the way back on one of our cruises which delayed our arrival in Ensenada and no one was allowed off the ship. We went in to port just for the paperwork for the ship. If you are lucky enough to be on a ship with Dave and Elua you are in for a treat. There has also been a naturalist on each of our cruises who did some very interesting talks on Hawaii and its history.
Do you remember which month it was that you had the very rough weather? Thanks.

We are thinking about doing a 15 day cruise out LA or San Francisco to Hawaii...if I recall, it makes stops at 4 islands. I am looking for thoughts from anyone who has done this similar cruise. Did you enjoy the stops and all the sea days? We haven't cruised on Princess in awhile but do have done some 7 day and a 10 day cruise on the line. This past year we cruised on another cruise line out of New York City (convenient train ride for us) but didn't enjoy it as much as our cruises on Princess. Please feel free to share your likes and dislikes about this cruise. Thanks.

Done both SF Nov 2015 and LA Nov 2017. The Grand princess from SF and The Star Princess from LA.

Loved both, weather is a little warmer for LA. 4 Sea days to get to the islands. First stop Hawaii, 2nd Oahu, 3rd Kauai, 420th Maui.

All stop we great. 5 Sea days back to Ensenata Mexico, then back to USA.

Great ships great cruise.

Do you remember which month it was that you had the very rough weather? Thanks.

There are storms in some part of the Pacific year-round, and waves and swells

from storms do travel across it into the opposite hemisphere much more easily

than in the Atlantic.

The good news is that some folks make a good living recommending a route that

will let ships miss such on a particular voyage. But sometimes, they are wrong

(they're weathermen after all).

I’m prejudice since I live the in San Francisco but going under the Golden Gate Bridge can’t be beat either in LA or Van Vancouver. It’s a site not to be missed. When I went under the GG Bridge on a large cruise ship for the first time it brought back memories as the last time I was on a large ship doing that was 1966-67 on the US Coral Sea CVA 43 Golden going to Vietnam.

The cruise to Hawaii is a great experience especially if you have a great duo, David & Eula, (Faline) that provide lectures, Ukulele classes, & musical concerts. A group not to be missed. Sure to get you in the Hawaii mode.

Tom😀

I have a friend who went just this past January at the end of the month and they had rough seas or I think 3 days on the way over.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds like our cruise out of San Fran this past Feb on Grand. First two days was rough but was rather cold first 3-4 days out of harbor

Daughter & I are booked on the Emerald Princess for March 11, 2019 and can't wait. My husband & I first did a round trip out of San Diego back in 2008 on the Radiance of the Seas then again during our 54 trip out of Sydney Australia in 2014 when we did the NZ, 18 day TP and 12 day Hawaii back to Seattle again on the Radiance and loved this trip.

We have done the round trip from Los Angeles (San Pedro) and it was a great cruise.

We are booked later this year on another cruise line for Vancouver to Hawaii, and then flying back as the ship goes on to Australia. But of you are flying both legs anyway, look at that one.

See our signature block for the cruises.

Recently completed just that on Star princess out of Los Angeles.

Here is the link to my full review...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2018/04/01/star-princess-hawaiian-islands-adventure/

...which has over 70 photographs including the itinerary.

26544656568_c7c603c555_z.jpg

Early morning arrival at Honolulu...

26226527197_e182e020c3_z.jpg

Depends on where you're coming from in many cases. We're in Northern California so we take the cruises out of SF when possible. Also, it's usually a fun Sail Away from SF and going under the Golden Gate. The band is playing, the ships horn blasts as we approach and everyone is waving to the people on the bridge as we pass under it. It's pretty cool.

However, on the last cruise, we got a late start, it was dark, cold and rainy and there was only ONE person on the Golden Gate waving at us. lol

YMMV.:beer-mug:

Here is my 4 cents.

The Grand Princess is the only Princess ship sailing from SF. The Grand, while older is still a nice ship with an indoor pool. It does not have a Skywalker's but it does have Club One5. Closets on the Grand are smaller, half the size as the ships sailing from LA. If you want a pre or post cruise experience, SF is a great departure port.

The Emerald, Star and Ruby sail from LA, and it depends on which date you choose which ship will be doing that route. The Star is the sister ship of the Grand, but with some differences made during dry dock over the years. The Star still has a Skywalker's. It also has more deck space around the main Lido Pool. The Star has 6 ft. walk in closest vs. the 3 ft. ones one the Grand. Both the Star and the Grand have the Vista Lounge, a second show lounge.

The Emerald and Ruby are sister ships. They have plenty of space and lounges all over the ship. They do not have an indoor pool. These ships also have skywalker's. San Pedro is a pretty convenient place to stay pre cruise, but does not have the sites of SF.

As others have mentioned be prepared for cool, choppy weather during the first few days. It then turns more tropical. All the ports are nice, but you only get a taste of Hawaii. You have to enjoy sea days with Hawaii culture and CD staff activities held throughout the days.

My wife and I have done the round trip out of Los Angeles twice. We enjoyed it a lot. It's a nice mix of relaxing sea days, coupled with a sampling of the four main Hawaiian Islands. Princess has a very good Hawaiian cultural program during sea days. There will be hula lessons, ukulele classes, Hawaiian music, etc. The cruises out of LA usually have the husband and wife team Elua onboard. They are wonderful musicians and excellent ambassadors for Hawaii. If you're interested, I have the photos I took on both sailings below in my signature, along with the daily "Patters", which will give you an idea what to expect onboard.

Hi Jasperdo, I looked at your pics of your Hawaii cruise on the Star. They are great! Can you tell me if you took ship excursions and which ones? I would like to know what days were the formal nights? I'm taking the Ruby out of LA to Hawaii in April 2019 and I'm so excited! I'm thinking about taking my ukulele with me so I can participate in the lessons. Do they have several onboard or should I go ahead and bring mine? I'm looking forward to the sea days and the activities!

Thank you so much!

Lynn