Carnival Sunshine thoughts?

MikeNKim

we are considering a cruise on Sunshine. A bit worried that it is a older ship.

Can anyone confirm if it has the big screen on the lido deck?

Guys?

Blue Lagoon Cantina?

I have searched and I find some conflicting info so figured I would come to the experts 🤗🤗

Thank you

Love Sunshine! Favorite Carnival ship by a mile (we are not loyal to any one line, sail many). She may not be brand-spanking new but she is newer than many in Carnivals fleet.

Sounds like food options are important to you. If so, Sunshine is your ship! Yes, she has Blue Iguana and Guy's Burgers. She also has Cucina del Capitano (Italian, free pasta bar at lunch and full Italian dinner for a surcharge). She also has Jiji's Asian Kitchen (free Mongolian wok at lunch and Asian fusion for dinner at a surcharge). Jiji's is out favorite specialty restaurant at sea. Unbelievably creative and delicious food and a steal! Traditional Carnival steakhouse (surcharge) is also an option as is Bonsai Sushi (surcharge).

Food aside, Sunshine has my favorite Serenity area : three decks high with its own pool (with waterfall!).

I will never sail the Sunshine again. It is by far the worst designed layout of any ship we've been on. Much like the newer Vista/Horizon, too many people for the space. Everything always felt crowded and the live music from the RFP competing with live music from Ocean Plaza (literally right next to each other) is a horrible design flaw. It does have 2.0 which is about the only positive thing but then again so does almost every ship now.

Loved this ship. Layout is somewhat odd, but simple to figure out and work around. JiJi's is one of our favorite specialty restaurants of all we have tried on multiple lines, especially given the price. Lots of food choices, the best serenity area. One comment, we did not have kids with us, but did hear from some with very little ones that it had limited options for them if that is important to you. Yes, has screen on Lido and we watched outdoor movies each night. Have a great trip.

I have been wanting to go on Sunshine for so long! Trying to book on her; but Charleston port is very inconvenient for North Easterners Such expensive flights. Wish she would move to Florida.

When are yo looking to sail? Sunshine does not re-position to Charleston till next year. She is mostly based out of Florida right now.

I was on the Sunshine last fall and had a great time.

However, as to the food.....I'm a very healthy eater....mainly vegetables at buffets. Their buffet (compared to NCL) left a lot to be desired. For example, on the NCL Gem & BA...there are tons of vegetable/healthy options. On the Sunshine, for dinner...there were baked potatoes and one other vegetable. (Nobody starved...there was a salad bar.)

The Italian restaurant's pasta for lunch was excellent. That was my favorite of the cruise.

Love Sunshine! Favorite Carnival ship by a mile (we are not loyal to any one line, sail many). She may not be brand-spanking new but she is newer than many in Carnivals fleet.

Sounds like food options are important to you. If so, Sunshine is your ship! Yes, she has Blue Iguana and Guy's Burgers. She also has Cucina del Capitano (Italian, free pasta bar at lunch and full Italian dinner for a surcharge). She also has Jiji's Asian Kitchen (free Mongolian wok at lunch and Asian fusion for dinner at a surcharge). Jiji's is out favorite specialty restaurant at sea. Unbelievably creative and delicious food and a steal! Traditional Carnival steakhouse (surcharge) is also an option as is Bonsai Sushi (surcharge).

Food aside, Sunshine has my favorite Serenity area : three decks high with its own pool (with waterfall!).

Well said - we sailed her twice in 2016 and loved it. We were on an 8 day and didn't have time to try all the lunch venues.

As always, we printed out deck plans before we went and it made getting around the ship easy.

I was just looking at the Carnival website and it doesn't list the Sunshine in the list of ships that have Mongolian wok. I hope the website is incorrect because I love the Mongolian wok! Have you or anyone had it recently and can verify that it is indeed currently available on the Sunshine?

Thanks

Not a favorite of mine...Hull/ship over 20 years old...and even with the refurbishments it just seems crowded/jammed when you compare to the wider and longer Dream and Vista classes. Also this ship isn't the most stable....We cruised it 2x when it was Destiny and it rocked alot....even in calm waters.... same when we cruised after refurbishment (Sunshine)..... Least favorite of the 8 Carnival ships we've sailed on!!

I was just looking at the Carnival website and it doesn't list the Sunshine in the list of ships that have Mongolian wok. I hope the website is incorrect because I love the Mongolian wok! Have you or anyone had it recently and can verify that it is indeed currently available on the Sunshine?

Thanks

It is, they just don't call it Mongolian wok because it's in jiji's at lunch time. Not dedicated only to wok

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

I have been wanting to go on Sunshine for so long! Trying to book on her; but Charleston port is very inconvenient for North Easterners Such expensive flights. Wish she would move to Florida.

Flying in to Myrtle beach might be reasonable for you. I can get cheap, cheapo, direct flights from Philadelphia to Myrtle Beach. It’s about 2 hrs from Charleston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Taking the sunshine outa cape Canaveral on may 13....

Sent from my iPad using Forums