No birth certificate, no passport, BIG problem???

wbhudson

First post or not, it was completely accurate. Everyone these days seem to think their personal sob story is a good enough reason to not abide by the rules.

We don't know that any rules were bent for this person. I doubt that they were. Government is pretty unforgiving in most instances. Rather, I would think that this person was able to come up with their BC or an acceptable copy of it, or some other document or combination of documents that were acceptable. This is not the first or last time that this will happen and I'm pretty sure that the port staff are well versed in dealing with this exact situation and know ways of getting people on board that most of the experts in this thread may not be privy to.

We don't know that any rules were bent for this person. I doubt that they were. Government is pretty unforgiving in most instances. Rather, I would think that this person was able to come up with their BC or an acceptable copy of it, or some other document or combination of documents that were acceptable. This is not the first or last time that this will happen and I'm pretty sure that the port staff are well versed in dealing with this exact situation and know ways of getting people on board that most of the experts in this thread may not be privy to.

No, we don't know for sure if any rules were bent. But the person I was responding to was jumping on someone else about adding a lot of impertinent info which I agree, is immaterial and a waste of time. Rules/laws are rules/laws and if you were a single mother, raised 25 kids, taking your first cruise, etc.......is immaterial when it comes to following the rules/laws.

While many are rejoicing that she got on, what if she had evil intent and it was a terrorist they let on instead? I would rather they follow the rules, which may help protect me in the future.

I was born and raised in the US and have dutifully renewed my passport every 10 years since the first was issued in 1968. Every time I have flown internationally I have gotten TSA pre-check since it came into existence.

I have never even had a parking ticket, yet when I fly into the US I am always sent to the line with all the foreigners getting fingerprinted because I get the dreaded X at the kiosk. The officers just shrug their shoulders, stamp my form and send me on my way in seconds, but I still get stuck in that darn line from 30 minutes to an hour. Last 2 times I had to get my checked luggage from the baggage office as they had removed it from the carousel because it took me so long to get through immigration.

When we come off a cruise ship if we are coming from ports that they just glance at the passports I have no problems. However, when they scan them I end up getting the 3rd degree while they ask my husband nothing.

I have asked my Congressman's office to look into it.

Hmmm, the purpose for documentation is to verify citizenship of those entering the US and when DHS wrote the regulations they determined that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise presented a low risk to the national security. They also probably figured that the risk of a terrorist sneaking into the country in order to sneak back out of the country just so they could, um, sneak back into the country 7 days later is very likely nil. All passengers are vetted by CBP during the cruise and this is where the real security takes place. As for your treatment my guess is that you have a similar name to someone that is on the bad list.

Hmmm, the purpose for documentation is to verify citizenship of those entering the US and when DHS wrote the regulations they determined that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise presented a low risk to the national security. They also probably figured that the risk of a terrorist sneaking into the country in order to sneak back out of the country just so they could, um, sneak back into the country 7 days later is very likely nil. All passengers are vetted by CBP during the cruise and this is where the real security takes place. As for your treatment my guess is that you have a similar name to someone that is on the bad list.

I’m still wondering what TSA Precheck has to do with flying home Internationally. You need Global Entry to use the automated kiosks upon re entry to the US. So if they don’t have GE and are trying to use the kiosks, that could explain why they aren’t being let through and have to go to the regular Customs line.

I am always baffled how anyone that books a cruise, knowing full well the documentation requirements, and not check months before cruise, or at least at time of booking, to make sure all was in order! Just astounded.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My passport sits in the same secure place and has for the 17 years I’ve lived in my house. Several years ago I logged on early to fill out my edocs and went to get my passport and it wasn’t there. My husband’s was and we never travel separately. To this day I don’t know where that passport is. Luckily, I had enough time to expedite a new passport, but that could have been me. If they hadn’t needed the number, it WOULD have been me because I would have never doubted that my passport was there.

I certainly learned MY lesson. Whenever we book a trip, the first thing I do is put my eyes on my passport.

However it happened, I’m glad the person made it onto the ship.

I wish the OP would clarify exactly how the person without required documentation was allowed aboard. I'd love to know what transpired. Until then, everything else is speculation. OP? OP?

Obviously the person made it aboard with the required documentation. It may not have been what you or I thought was required, but whatever was presented must of satisfied requirements.

Obviously the person made it aboard with the required documentation. It may not have been what you or I thought was required, but whatever was presented must of satisfied requirements.
Yes, the OP has already stated that the friend was allowed onto the ship. What I, and others, are wondering is if she found her birth certificate or if she was allowed to board without it, which would be a major bending of rules.

Yes, the OP has already stated that the friend was allowed onto the ship. What I, and others, are wondering is if she found her birth certificate or if she was allowed to board without it, which would be a major bending of rules.

She would not have been allowed to board without approved documentation. Now, what that documentation may have been, we may never know, but you can be sure that no laws were trampled on to enable her.

I have a friend who just called me. She is supposed to set sail tomorrow with Carnival. As of now, she is unable to find her birth certificate and does not have a passport. She also neglected to purchase cruise insurance.

As of today, she only has an US Dept. of State affidavit of birth that she (along with her mother) have signed and had notarized.

What are her options? This is her first cruise, and I would hate for her to miss it (and not receive a refund).

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Is she on a closed loop cruise, which means it begins, and ends at the same port?

If it is, then does she have one of the newer drivers licenses some states have gone to called 'enhanced'? Google your state to see,,, if she has an enhanced license, and it's closed loop, she might still get to go, best to call Carnival immediately with what she has!!!!!

Is she on a closed loop cruise, which means it begins, and ends at the same port?

If it is, then does she have one of the newer drivers licenses some states have gone to called 'enhanced'? Google your state to see,,, if she has an enhanced license, and it's closed loop, she might still get to go, best to call Carnival immediately with what she has!!!!!

OP's friend has already gone and come back, we're just waiting for an update from the OP to let us know exactly what documentation she was able to obtain that got her onboard. I would suspect that most people that have bona fide EDLs (issued by only 5 states) are well aware of what they may be used for.

Guilty of being judgemental...LOL but I understand if you've never cruised, you wouldn't know BUT someone shoud have clued her in before now... Hope it works out!

I have never cruised before but I have all my papers in order. I leave in 129 days. I agree she should have checked this out.

If she was born in the port city maybe she can run to the court house when they open and get one. Here I can get a BC the same day.

Doubt she is getting on the ship tomorrow and not entitled to any type of refund.

Travel insurance doesn’t cover not having proper travel documentation and timeline would not have allowed for CFAR.

Empathy? Yes

Sympathy? No

A footnote to your comment. Even if the cruiseline would allow her to cruise, GOD forbid if she had an emergency and had to return to the US from a foreign country. She MUST have a passport to reenter the US. I agree with you re: empathy & sympathy.

I'm still curious as to WHAT actually transpired to let her on the ship. Did they call the health and human records dept of her state of birth and have something faxed? Was her affidavit one that is more official? I'm not talking about the footprint thing. I can't speak for all states but for years the state where I was born gave out a plastic ID card that certified your birth- was given by the same dept that handles BC's. It was considered an affidavit of birth. Maybe the OPs friend had this? Did someone find where the certificate actually was (as it was not in the lock box where she thought it was) and somehow get it down to her?

I'm glad it worked out for her and all, but what we all really are curious about is HOW

A... She MUST have a passport to reenter the US....

Not so. US citizens can not be denied entry into the US. It may take some time to establish citizenship and a nice long lecture from one or more CBP agents.

Not so. US citizens can not be denied entry into the US. It may take some time to establish citizenship and a nice long lecture from one or more CBP agents.

When it comes to immigration law eventually can be pretty long. Anyone see the recent reports about the American held by ICE for 1273 days? The circumstances were different, but it still makes you go 'Hmmmmm'.

Google 'ice 1273' to find the news stories about this guy.

I am happy for the new Nurse Practitioner ...that she got to go!! As someone said she is a mother of 5 who also finished a very hard curriculum to get an advanced degree! I kind of chuckled reading this...some good conversation...the whole time everyone was discussing her being allowed to get on or not get on the ship...she was enjoying all the food, drink and fun on her Fun Ship!!! Not sure about the rest of you guys ...but while on the ship I would actually not be concerned about getting off!!! (All of the above said in fun of course!!) :-)

When it comes to immigration law eventually can be pretty long. Anyone see the recent reports about the American held by ICE for 1273 days? The circumstances were different, but it still makes you go 'Hmmmmm'.

Google 'ice 1273' to find the news stories about this guy.

It actually takes a search of "man held by ice 1273 days" to find anything related to the story. I can't get any of the links to work, but will say that ICE isn't at the borders, CBP is and they will be doing the verifying that is necessary. I live 8 miles from the border and it happens once or twice a year that someone goes up to Canada and while there has their documentation lost or stolen. They still make it home after spending some time in secondary inspection having their identity verified. As the previous poster stated there are no provisions in the law for denying entry to the US of a US citizen (but yes, anomalies such as the one you reference can happen, but they are still anomalies).