No birth certificate, no passport, BIG problem???

wbhudson

That's a tough spot. I would bring what she has along with my DL and the following

Most recent tax reurns

Most recent pay stub

My SS card

A few of my most recent bills with my address on it

Copy of car insurance and registration with my address

Medication bottles l

Children's birth certificate

Marriage certificate

Contact my local Senator and as for a letter

Email the CEO and other high ranking Carnival employees

I would be there before the shop even docks with a suitcase of documents

That's a tough spot. I would bring what she has along with my DL and the following

Most recent tax reurns

Most recent pay stub

My SS card

Medication bottles l

Marriage certificate

....and they will still walk you to the door.

My father came on a cruise with us without a passport or state issued birth certificate. Prior to the cruise I told him he needed his birth certificate and he brought what he had “always” used for a birth certificate which amounted to nothing more than some form from the hospital. When he handed the form over at the counter my stomach went into knots. However, they pulled us aside out of the check in line and after about 30 min they did allow him on. I’m wonky assuming but I suppose they did some checking on him? Idk but it did work out...at least for him, that time. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a friend who just called me. She is supposed to set sail tomorrow with Carnival. As of now, she is unable to find her birth certificate and does not have a passport. She also neglected to purchase cruise insurance.

As of today, she only has an US Dept. of State affidavit of birth that she (along with her mother) have signed and had notarized.

What are her options? This is her first cruise, and I would hate for her to miss it (and not receive a refund).

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Echoing everyone else, it looks grim and assuming she stayed up all night tearing the house apart with no luck, I’d bring all govt photo ID’s, Social Security card, this affidavit of which you speak, a friendly, cooperative attitude, and a maybe a cash bribe (okay NO, not that). If she has an old expired passport it would come as well.

I would at checkin hand them only the affidavit and license and act as though I believe all is ship shape, then (only if challenged) insist the issuer of the affidavit had assured me it is equivalent to a birth certificate, then start rummaging around and producing additional paperwork one piece at a time, and finally wait politely and quietly while they all deliberate a while and hopefully decide to allow passage.

But please let us know what happens.

I have a friend who just called me. She is supposed to set sail tomorrow with Carnival. As of now, she is unable to find her birth certificate and does not have a passport. She also neglected to purchase cruise insurance.

As of today, she only has an US Dept. of State affidavit of birth that she (along with her mother) have signed and had notarized.

What are her options? This is her first cruise, and I would hate for her to miss it (and not receive a refund).

Thanks for any suggestions!!

I am curious. Why does she have a US Dept of State affidavit of birth in the first place? Did she ever have her birth certificate?

I have a friend who does not have a BC and was adopted from out of the country. The paperwork was screwed up and her parents are deceased and she when she tried to get a passport, she couldn't. She is pretty much SOL.

I hope she finds what she needs and is able to board. Best of luck to her.

Most recent tax reurns

Most recent pay stub

My SS card

Medication bottles l

Marriage certificate

None of which establishes more than residency, not citizenship. And nothing the CEO of Carnival can do, since this is a US Government CBP regulation, not Carnival's.

I am curious. Why does she have a US Dept of State affidavit of birth in the first place? Did she ever have her birth certificate?

I have a friend who does not have a BC and was adopted from out of the country. The paperwork was screwed up and her parents are deceased and she when she tried to get a passport, she couldn't. She is pretty much SOL.

I hope she finds what she needs and is able to board. Best of luck to her.

The DS-10 form is something you fill out, get notarized, and submit to the State Department in lieu of a birth certificate, not something that comes from the State Department. I believe they did some online research about "alternatives to birth certificate" and found the DS-10 form, filled it in and had it notarized, hoping to use this as a substitute birth certificate.

Perhaps your friend can get a DS-10 completed by someone familiar with her birth circumstances (first hand, like an older blood relative or the doctor/hospital). Does she have any adoption paperwork?

The affidavit holds little value on its own. It is submitted preferably with additional supporting documentation accompanying a passport application. Its credibility is decided during processing when the agent views the entire document package and circumstances.

************************UPDATE*****************************************

She was allowed to board as of about 30 minutes ago.

To those who were quick to judge, this person is a mother of 5 who just put herself through nurse practitioner school while working full time as a RN in an extremely busy emergency department. This was her graduation present to herself after many years of school. Those calling her "unreliable" and "oblivious", were totally unnecessary.

To those who offered constructive advice; thank you. She took that advice, and was allowed to board.

After booking her cruise, she assumed that her birth certificate (we all know what they say about assuming, so spare me) would be in a lock box with all of her other important documents. When she went to retrieve them last night, she found that it was not there. That set off a chain of events that led to her scrambling around collecting any document that might possibly allow her to set sail on her first, and long awaited cruise. With help from many of those here on this forum, it all worked out. Needless to say, this will be a mistake that will not be repeated. Thanks everyone!

Maybe because a passport has a photo and an affidavit does not?

How the heck would anyone know that the person named in the affidavit was the same person as the one standing in front of them? Driver licenses can be easily obtained with no proof of citizenship, so that is not good ID for international travel.

Couldn't the same be said about a person using just a birth certificate and a license?

Because she’s the one who needed the info, and is desperately trying to get on a ship at the moment. Give it time. [emoji23]

"I have a friend who just called me"

it was not the OP's problem it was a friend.

So how did board, with what documentation?

To those who were quick to judge, this person is a mother of 5 who just put herself through nurse practitioner school while working full time as a RN in an extremely busy emergency department. This was her graduation present to herself after many years of school. Those calling her "unreliable" and "oblivious", were totally unnecessary.

To those who offered constructive advice; thank you. She took that advice, and was allowed to board.

After booking her cruise, she assumed that her birth certificate (we all know what they say about assuming, so spare me) would be in a lock box with all of her other important documents. When she went to retrieve them last night, she found that it was not there. That set off a chain of events that led to her scrambling around collecting any document that might possibly allow her to set sail on her first, and long awaited cruise. With help from many of those here on this forum, it all worked out. Needless to say, this will be a mistake that will not be repeated. Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the update.

"I have a friend who just called me"

it was not the OP's problem it was a friend.

So how did board, with what documentation?

It was a joke, guy. Hence the laughy face.

I forgot we’re all business here on CC.

I'm glad it worked out and she is now on board. I admit I was skeptical but it goes to show (once again) that you won't know if you don't try. :)

I am absolutely so happy to hear this news!!!!! And I often shake my head at people in here, or anywhere for that matter, who are so quick to cast judgement. Have some of you ever heard of putting on your filter???? Most of us know when we did something "stupid" or wreckless. I don't appreciate having THAT pointed out to me when what I was asking for was some CONSTRUCTIVE help!!!!

OP, this was a great read this Sunday afternoon and a helpful (future) thread to others. I prefer happy endings so this news just made my day!!

For anyone reading this for information, the certificate from the hospital that many people get is not a legal birth certificate.

A friend of mine once go to the port with what she thought was her daughters birth certificate and the agent told her “if it has little feet print on it” it cannot be accepted.

The cruise agent helped her find the proper place that had her daughters bc. They called and had the bc faxed and she was allowed to board. But that took several very anxious hours.

Another friend once got to the ship without her bc. Since she was born in Fla. They made a call and had a bc somehow delivered to the local agency. My friend had to leave the terminal, drive to get the bc. And return.

I believe an expired passport is legal documentation for a closed loop cruise.

So it pays to check in early sometimes!

But the real answer is - get a passport.

I'm glad she was able to board also. Being her first Cruise and all. Congrats on her accomplishments. I know how much work goes into being a Registerd Nurse, my best friend is one. People are so quick to judge, shouldn't let them ruin your day. They're just at a keyboard. I know they wouldn't be so judgemental face to face.

This will not be her last, once you take a cruise, you become addicted. I've booked my 3rd and 4th on RCCL Empress OTS for Dec of this year, and Febof 2019.

Please do keep us up to date with her doings! Welcome to CC

Once again an unbreakable, written in stone "rule" has been bent. I'm not commenting on whether that is good or bad, just observing that it apparently has happened. Some of us should think twice before posting that something isn't possible. All of us should think twice before accepting anything posted on this board as fact. Always verify.

Not sure exactly which document was the "one" that got her onboard, or if it was a combination of all of them. I just got a text earlier that said she made it on. I will find out exactly what she used they get back. That info may be useful for someone else who finds themselves in the same situation.

Not sure exactly which document was the "one" that got her onboard, or if it was a combination of all of them. I just got a text earlier that said she made it on. I will find out exactly what she used they get back. That info may be useful for someone else who finds themselves in the same situation.
Thank you. Please do. I'm pretty sure that info will be helpful to someone at some point. Glad she made it on board.