No birth certificate, no passport, BIG problem???

wbhudson

************************UPDATE*****************************************

She was allowed to board as of about 30 minutes ago.

To those who were quick to judge, this person is a mother of 5 who just put herself through nurse practitioner school while working full time as a RN in an extremely busy emergency department. This was her graduation present to herself after many years of school. Those calling her "unreliable" and "oblivious", were totally unnecessary.

To those who offered constructive advice; thank you. She took that advice, and was allowed to board.

Congrats on her perseverance and graduation! Sounds like your friend definitely earned her vacay! I’m glad it all worked out! Hope she enjoys her cruise!

Once again an unbreakable, written in stone "rule" has been bent. I'm not commenting on whether that is good or bad, just observing that it apparently has happened. Some of us should think twice before posting that something isn't possible. All of us should think twice before accepting anything posted on this board as fact. Always verify.

I doubt very seriously that any rule was bent. Carnival has to impose the standards outlined in the DHS regulations or face heavy sanctions for not doing so. She had to have something that establishes her citizenship within those regulations and the DS10 that was mentioned in the OP does not meet that requirement. My guess is she was able to get a copy of her birth certificate (probably from her employer as another poster suggested).

She was very lucky.

Would not be surprised if, upon her return to the US, CBP asks about her bc, explains the form is not meant to replace a lost bc, tells her to order s proper bc ... and confiscates her form.

Soon enough CBP will stop accepting the form, except when used as intended ... that is for people for whom a bc never was issued.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

To those who were quick to judge, this person is a mother of 5 who just put herself through nurse practitioner school while working full time as a RN in an extremely busy emergency department. This was her graduation present to herself after many years of school. Those calling her "unreliable" and "oblivious", were totally unnecessary.

To those who offered constructive advice; thank you. She took that advice, and was allowed to board.

After booking her cruise, she assumed that her birth certificate (we all know what they say about assuming, so spare me) would be in a lock box with all of her other important documents. When she went to retrieve them last night, she found that it was not there. That set off a chain of events that led to her scrambling around collecting any document that might possibly allow her to set sail on her first, and long awaited cruise. With help from many of those here on this forum, it all worked out. Needless to say, this will be a mistake that will not be repeated. Thanks everyone!

Thank you for letting us know the outcome. Too many times we become invested in the problem and never hear if the problem is resolved. I’m glad she was able to board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After booking her cruise, she assumed that her birth certificate (we all know what they say about assuming, so spare me) would be in a lock box with all of her other important documents. When she went to retrieve them last night, she found that it was not there. That set off a chain of events that led to her scrambling around collecting any document that might possibly allow her to set sail on her first, and long awaited cruise. With help from many of those here on this forum, it all worked out. Needless to say, this will be a mistake that will not be repeated. Thanks everyone!

Great news. I hope she has a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for the update. It is always good to learn that the world is not just black or white.

I was surprised she could get a boarding pass. Getting out of the country is often easier than to return. Chances are a us real id drivers license would work depending on itinerary. Bon voyage.

No, a REAL ID license is not acceptable as a stand alone document to verify both citizenship and identity. All one need do in order to get a REAL ID license is demonstrate legal presence in the US.

I doubt very seriously that any rule was bent. Carnival has to impose the standards outlined in the DHS regulations or face heavy sanctions for not doing so. She had to have something that establishes her citizenship within those regulations and the DS10 that was mentioned in the OP does not meet that requirement. My guess is she was able to get a copy of her birth certificate (probably from her employer as another poster suggested).
Hopefully the OP will report to us, in time, what she used to board. If she was able to get an official copy of her birth certificate and this was why she was allowed to board I will admit I was wrong.

Hopefully the OP will report to us, in time, what she used to board. If she was able to get an official copy of her birth certificate and this was why she was allowed to board I will admit I was wrong.

I'm not talking about an official copy, I'm talking about a photocopy made by her employer for her I9. A photocopied birth certificate is acceptable under the DHS regulations (and her college may have had a copy of her birth certificate on file also).

I know it is not proper but many of have travalled on drivers license for years. I never show my passport on a cruise but at check in and out. Whatever she showed to non cbp carnival clerk may not mean she will get back in the country. Why one should always pack copy of passport just in case. Then again only my opinion based on my slight knowledge of immigration law.

I'm not talking about an official copy, I'm talking about a photocopy made by her employer for her I9. A photocopied birth certificate is acceptable under the DHS regulations (and her college may have had a copy of her birth certificate on file also).
We will eventually find out, hopefully, how she was able to board.

I know it is not proper but many of have travalled on drivers license for years. I never show my passport on a cruise but at check in and out. Whatever she showed to non cbp carnival clerk may not mean she will get back in the country. Why one should always pack copy of passport just in case. Then again only my opinion based on my slight knowledge of immigration law.

It may take longer to clear border security, but the likelihood of a person born in the US being denied entry is very close to zero. And, the likelihood of any US citizen being denied entry is not that much higher.

It may take longer to clear border security, but the likelihood of a person born in the US being denied entry is very close to zero. And, the likelihood of any US citizen being denied entry is not that much higher.

Once you prove you are a us citizen you will be admitted that is what the passport and other documents help show. There was a mention of born abroad and that may complicate matters. Her consulate issued document was probably a great help. People seek to enter on false claim to usc birth or derivative claim every day. Hopefully the carnival staff member consulted cbp before boarding so they get home quickly.

Glad she was able to board!

I cruise at the end of June and am already stressing about getting my passport updated. (Changed my name when I got married.) Couldn't find our marriage certificate, but located it today. Got my new pics taken on Friday. Filling out the form today and dropping everything along with the check in the mail tomorrow!

Interesting that people are referencing getting a copy of your birth certificate from your employer? Am I reading that right? I’ve never given that to any of my employers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've always had to provide identification to new employers (for the I-9 form) which they have always photocopied. Before I had a passport, I always used my birth certificate and social security card. That is what made me think her employer may have a copy.

I've always had to provide identification to new employers (for the I-9 form) which they have always photocopied. Before I had a passport, I always used my birth certificate and social security card. That is what made me think her employer may have a copy.

You don't have to give your employer a copy of your birth certificate. You can give them a copy of your Social Security card.

The only document I remember ever giving an employer was a copy of my Social Security card. My employer didn't make the copy. I made the copy and gave it to them.

Edited by Tiger0613

What is an I-9 form?

The only document I remember ever giving an employer was a copy of my Social Security card. My employer didn't make the copy. I made the copy and gave it to them.

The I-9 is a form filled out for new employees to show that they are legally in the US and legally able to work. Employers are supposed to have one filled out for every new hire. There are a number of documents that may be provided. For a US citizen a birth certificate is one of the documents.

The I-9 is a form filled out for new employees to show that they are legally in the US and legally able to work. Employers are supposed to have one filled out for every new hire. There are a number of documents that may be provided. For a US citizen a birth certificate is one of the documents.

I edited my post.