No birth certificate, no passport, BIG problem???

wbhudson

You don't have to give your employer a copy of your birth certificate. You can give them a copy of your Social Security card.

The only document I remember ever giving an employer was a copy of my Social Security card. My employer didn't make the copy. I made the copy and gave it to them.

It is an employment eligibility verification form. I think it has to be completed on all people working in the U.S. My employer just recently re-verified all employees (probably 300 or more people) because they have upgraded their system to an online system. Each employee had to show up during scheduled events with their required ID(s) per the acceptable documents on the I-9 form. This time the document(s) were scanned by an iPAD and uploaded instead of photocopied. Hope that helps.

Amanda

I remember watching a show about (can't remember what the name was) boarding day on an RCI ship and the terminal staff having to deal with this exact issue during boarding that day. It took them a while and numerous phone calls, but they were finally able to get the documentation that they needed to allow the lady to board. This is not the first time, nor the last that terminal staff have had to deal with this. They're not clueless, inept dufuses. They're trained to handle these situations and will put out every effort to get you on board, if there's a way. Obviously, there may be more ways to help a distressed passenger than some of the world travelers on this thread are aware of.

That's a tough spot. I would bring what she has along with my DL and the following

Most recent tax reurns

Most recent pay stub

My SS card

A few of my most recent bills with my address on it

Copy of car insurance and registration with my address

Medication bottles l

Children's birth certificate

Marriage certificate

Contact my local Senator and as for a letter

Email the CEO and other high ranking Carnival employees

I would be there before the shop even docks with a suitcase of documents

The purpose of the birth certificate is to show citizenship, I had all of the above listed documents when I was a legal permanent resident and not yet a citizen.

I've been lurking for a few days before I finally made an account. And yes this is my 1st post. What of it?

Welcome to the board. If you stay for awhile you will note a pattern that some veteran posters assume first, second, or third time posters are trolls.

Pay no attention.

Happy sailing.

It may take longer to clear border security, but the likelihood of a person born in the US being denied entry is very close to zero. And, the likelihood of any US citizen being denied entry is not that much higher.

This! Once on board, she is going to be fine. This is not a Tom Hanks movie where she will be left without a country for lack of an “official birth certificate.” I was concerned they would let her on the ship, not that the can’t get back into the country. It may be a real (real, real, REAL) hassle, but she will be repatriated upon arrival in her home port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

BOOM, drop mic!

All you haters screaming they wouldn't let her go should chill for a bit

WOW

I was one of the first to say they wouldn't let her go...Not a hater by any means...

Very glad it worked out that she was able to go and hope she had a great trip....

I'm chillin....LOL

BOOM, drop mic!

All you haters screaming they wouldn't let her go should chill for a bit

WOW

No, not haters, just people that know the requirements (there were some less than sympathetic responses, but that is a different matter). If the DS10 did the trick then it is an increase in the knowledge base, but we'll have to wait for the friend to return to find out what did the trick. My money is still on the friend was able to obtain a copy of her birth certificate from somewhere.

No, not haters, just people that know the requirements (there were some less than sympathetic responses, but that is a different matter). If the DS10 did the trick then it is an increase in the knowledge base, but we'll have to wait for the friend to return to find out what did the trick. My money is still on the friend was able to obtain a copy of her birth certificate from somewhere.

Sorry not the case the so called "haters" just stated what the rules are. just because she got on does not mean someone else would get on.

By your logic safe to become a drug mule because most don't get caught... try telling that to the ones caught and serving time.

Maybe the agent processing was asleep, maybe she got paperwork, maybe the agent made a error, lots of maybes, at this point we do not know. But we do know that following the rules always works.

No hating here either; I sincerely hope it all works out. But, we still don't know how smoothly things will go when she returns. It seems obvious she will get to cross the border, but she may still have some hassles. Then again, she may not. It's more of an interesting story - something has gone wrong. . . suspense ensues . . . what will happen? While it's a relief that she got onboard, still waiting for the rest of what hopefully will be a happy ending. :)

No hating here either; I sincerely hope it all works out. But, we still don't know how smoothly things will go when she returns. It seems obvious she will get to cross the border, but she may still have some hassles. Then again, she may not. It's more of an interesting story - something has gone wrong. . . suspense ensues . . . what will happen? While it's a relief that she got onboard, still waiting for the rest of what hopefully will be a happy ending. :)
We know she won't be kicked out of the country or have her citizenship revoked. How bad could it possibly be? Twenty questions and a "don't let this happen again", speech? She'll be quaking under her red Carnival Croc visor. LOL

************************UPDATE*****************************************

She was allowed to board as of about 30 minutes ago.

To those who were quick to judge, this person is a mother of 5 who just put herself through nurse practitioner school while working full time as a RN in an extremely busy emergency department. This was her graduation present to herself after many years of school. Those calling her "unreliable" and "oblivious", were totally unnecessary.

To those who offered constructive advice; thank you. She took that advice, and was allowed to board.

After booking her cruise, she assumed that her birth certificate (we all know what they say about assuming, so spare me) would be in a lock box with all of her other important documents. When she went to retrieve them last night, she found that it was not there. That set off a chain of events that led to her scrambling around collecting any document that might possibly allow her to set sail on her first, and long awaited cruise. With help from many of those here on this forum, it all worked out. Needless to say, this will be a mistake that will not be repeated. Thanks everyone!

Congrats to her and welcome to the world of Nurse Practitioners!

You don't have to give your employer a copy of your birth certificate. You can give them a copy of your Social Security card.

The only document I remember ever giving an employer was a copy of my Social Security card. My employer didn't make the copy. I made the copy and gave it to them.

The I-9 form requires more than a SS card. I had to fill out many of them for new hires in my career.

While many are rejoicing that she got on, what if she had evil intent and it was a terrorist they let on instead? I would rather they follow the rules, which may help protect me in the future.

I was born and raised in the US and have dutifully renewed my passport every 10 years since the first was issued in 1968. Every time I have flown internationally I have gotten TSA pre-check since it came into existence.

I have never even had a parking ticket, yet when I fly into the US I am always sent to the line with all the foreigners getting fingerprinted because I get the dreaded X at the kiosk. The officers just shrug their shoulders, stamp my form and send me on my way in seconds, but I still get stuck in that darn line from 30 minutes to an hour. Last 2 times I had to get my checked luggage from the baggage office as they had removed it from the carousel because it took me so long to get through immigration.

When we come off a cruise ship if we are coming from ports that they just glance at the passports I have no problems. However, when they scan them I end up getting the 3rd degree while they ask my husband nothing.

I have asked my Congressman's office to look into it.

I have a friend who just called me. She is supposed to set sail tomorrow with Carnival. As of now, she is unable to find her birth certificate and does not have a passport. She also neglected to purchase cruise insurance.

As of today, she only has an US Dept. of State affidavit of birth that she (along with her mother) have signed and had notarized.

What are her options? This is her first cruise, and I would hate for her to miss it (and not receive a refund).

Thanks for any suggestions!!

I am always baffled how anyone that books a cruise, knowing full well the documentation requirements, and not check months before cruise, or at least at time of booking, to make sure all was in order! Just astounded.

Not a very reliable person to first start looking for important documents the night before the ship sails. I never understand that???

I have no idea what a Dept. of State affidavit of birth might be?? I suppose she'll have to bring it to the ship and hope that's one of the allowed forms of ID.

I know, right? Who does this? I’m baffled. [emoji15]

The I-9 form requires more than a SS card. I had to fill out many of them for new hires in my career.

If you had read earlier posts, you would have realized that my statement about my experience was only about List C documents. I never claimed that a Social Security card was the only document needed. I only said that you could use a Social Security card instead of a birth certificate.

While many are rejoicing that she got on, what if she had evil intent and it was a terrorist they let on instead? I would rather they follow the rules, which may help protect me in the future. ...

Anyone boarding might have ill intent. As we have sadly learned in recent years evil is not restricted to non-citizens or even terrorists.

I suspect anyone contemplating an evil act would do the utmost to easily pass any identity check rather than risk failure with marginal documentation.

If you had read earlier posts, you would have realized that my statement about my experience was only about List C documents. I never claimed that a Social Security card was the only document needed. I only said that you could use a Social Security card instead of a birth certificate.
I Sorry. I misunderstood.

You chose to make ^^^THIS^^^ your first post? If you read through this thread, you would perhaps empathize as to why the OP felt a need to defend her friend’s character. But, nope, you made the above statement your first post on CC. Interesting.

First post or not, it was completely accurate. Everyone these days seem to think their personal sob story is a good enough reason to not abide by the rules.