Fridge in cabin

misprint

I suggest you contact Celebrity’s accessibility team (special needs) stating the temperature your meds’ need storing at for confirmation or alternative solutions if the minibar fridge will not be cool enough. We found them very helpful last year when I was traveling with some issues.

Firstly, read the package insert and also speak to your pharmacist.

Some manufacturers recommend keeping unopened insulin between 2C-8C. The “fridges” on the ship are more like cooler boxes and will not get that cold. Other manufacturers state that insulin can be left at room temperature for up to 28 days.

Furthermore insulin should never be left to warm in temperatures greater than 25C which is easily reachable in warmer climates like the Caribbean.

Furthermore insulin should never be left to warm in temperatures greater than 25C which is easily reachable in warmer climates like the Caribbean.

With the AC The temperature in your cabin will not reach the 25.

If you choose to try using the 'fridge' I would suggest bringing along a fridge thermometer so you can be assured that the temperature is cool enough. Our experience on Celebrity ships is that some fridges cool quite well whereas others not so much. You can request ice in the room to make sure things are cool enough until you can figure it out ( we do not need them for medication, just use them to cool hubby's Diet Coke)

Firstly, read the package insert and also speak to your pharmacist.

Some manufacturers recommend keeping unopened insulin between 2C-8C. The “fridges” on the ship are more like cooler boxes and will not get that cold. Other manufacturers state that insulin can be left at room temperature for up to 28 days.

As stated read the box first! My wife just keeps hers in the bathroom on the ship (and at home). We store it in the fridge until she's using it then it stays in a cool location while being used. Some of the older insulins need to be kept refridgerated so always read the storage instructions. The ships cooler is adequate to store insulin, it's not as cold as your fridge but it will keep it cold enough. Be sure to ask the cabin attendant for a sharps contianer to dispose of any used needles/pump sets etc. You can ask the attendant to empty the fridge, this will allow you to place it at the back of the fridge where it is coldest. Also allows you some room to put your own waters and such in there. Also no chance of being charged for mini-bar items you didnt use.

The mini bar is not exactly a fridge, more like a cooler. Most people find it sufficiently cool for medications.
Yes, I agree great for meds, not so much for an ice cold soda. I bring a small/medium sized Collapsible Cooler and keep that in the shower (they tend to leak) and filled with ice.
  • Like 1

I was going to add, bring several Ziploc style bags that you can keep filled with ice to store in the fridge around your insulin to be sure it’s kept cold. Just in case you get a fridge that’s not cold enough. Ziploc bags filled with ice can definitely help in this regard.

Thanks for all the tips, he has only recently started taking insulin as was tablet controlled before. I have checked the box and his can but stored out of the fridge for up to 28 days so we should be fine.

Is there a fridge in the cabins on Silhouette suitable for storing insulin?

We recently sailed on Solstice and I found the fridge fine for storing my insulin...... apparently if you ask them they will empty the fridge for you if you need more room

enjoy your cruise!

I am a diabetic requiring to keep my insulin cool when stored. I have found that the mini fridges are more than adequate. It is helped if one can put some cold cans or bottles of drink in there as well as they help keep the temp down. We always request the stateroom attendant to empty their stuff out of the fridge and we store our own stuff in there. Most insulins these days are pretty stable and can sustain life out of a fridge for around 28 days providing they aren't exposed to high temps. Whilst travelling I use a FRIO cooling pouch in between fridge stops

We have used the coolers in the cabins for keeping medications cool and have not had any issues although, as many have said, these are NOT refrigerators - definitely more like coolers.

Since you are new carrying medications, may I also suggest one item that I stumbled upon 2 or so years ago-- a FRIO bag. Found this and it works great. It is a fabric pouch that contains some pellets which you put in cold tap water (the entire pouch, not just the pellets) for about 15 minutes and then it will keep meds cool for up to 48 hours. Great for traveling- no ice needed, does not take up alot of space and has served us well.

Just google FRIO bag or pouch and you should find lots of them available in different sizes.

Did not mean to hijack thread but since you mentioned travel with insulin is new, thought this might be helpful for you or anyone else in this situation.

• Like 1

We have used the coolers in the cabins for keeping medications cool and have not had any issues although, as many have said, these are NOT refrigerators - definitely more like coolers.

Since you are new carrying medications, may I also suggest one item that I stumbled upon 2 or so years ago-- a FRIO bag. Found this and it works great. It is a fabric pouch that contains some pellets which you put in cold tap water (the entire pouch, not just the pellets) for about 15 minutes and then it will keep meds cool for up to 48 hours. Great for traveling- no ice needed, does not take up alot of space and has served us well.

Just google FRIO bag or pouch and you should find lots of them available in different sizes.

Did not mean to hijack thread but since you mentioned travel with insulin is new, thought this might be helpful for you or anyone else in this situation.

How cold do these Frio things get? I mean, I'm not thinking of them for med's. Would they keep food and soda cold on a road trip?

I too am new for carrying these type of meds for travel. How does this work for TSA, security for airports, etc? Do I need to carry paperwork (such as a prescription or druggist sheet) with me as well?

This FRIO carrier looks like it will work for me. Thanks to all for the help.

Thanks for all the tips, he has only recently started taking insulin as was tablet controlled before. I have checked the box and his can but stored out of the fridge for up to 28 days so we should be fine.

You’ll be fine. My DW is type 1 and insulin dependent. We’ve never sailed less than 14 days and she’s never bothered putting her insulin in the mini bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Frio pouches are carrying Insulin syringes only. They come in a variety of sizes for up to 4 syringes. If one looks at a syringe being the size of a fat fountain pen one can get an idea of their size. When the inner pouch is immersed in water the crystals expand by absorbing water and provide short term cooling for the insulin. After a number of days providing the pouch is not exposed to more water it will eventually dehydrate back to rock hard small crystals to be used again and again. One must be careful not to leave the pouch in water too long as it will keep absorbing the water restricting the number of syringes it can take. It will NOT be suitable for food or cans of soda. FRIO pouches are designed purely for medicinal purposes principally insulin vials and syringes whilst on short term travel. It will keep one's insulin cool for about a day. My recommendation would be to put the insulin in a fridge in ones hotel enroute and put the pouch in water for a short period just before leaving to refresh it. When onboard put your insulin in the "fridge" and leave the pouch on the bench above the fridge to dehydrate. The insulin I use can be placed in and out of the fridge several times if necessary. It probably reduces its effectiveness over time but as it can remain out of the fridge for up to 28 days I am not to concerned. If my insulin gets subjected to high temps whilst I am away I discard it when I get home and get a fresh syringe from the fridge at home.

As far as airport security is concerned I have never had an issue but if one is at all concerned put your FRIO pouch in the clear plastic bag for inspection by Airport security. If they have a look at it so be it. An 8mm needle on an insulin syringe is going to do much damage

I too am new for carrying these type of meds for travel. How does this work for TSA, security for airports, etc? Do I need to carry paperwork (such as a prescription or druggist sheet) with me as well?

This FRIO carrier looks like it will work for me. Thanks to all for the help.

My DW carries a letter from her doctor and mentions she has sharps in her hand luggage as it goes to be screened. Sometimes her bag is checked. Not every time. I don’t think anyone has bothered looking at her letter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As others have said, the FRIO bags are for medications only and not really any good for food.

They are available in several sizes (and of course colors for those who may be fashion conscious :) ) and depending upon length of trip and amount of meds, you can choose what works for you. And yes, when we travel the meds get placed in the hotel fridge and the bag is refreshed with a dunk in some cold water again before moving on.

As far as airport security, it is always best to mention to the security screener that you have needles and/or pens in your bag. Usually they do not bother much with them as long as they are aware of it. More of a courtesy so they are not surprised if they decide to take a quick look in your bag-- we have never had any issue.