No flip flops or basketball shorts in MDR?!

MommyAJ6

I just read that there are no flip flops or basketball shorts allowed in the MDR. My son only wears basketball shorts and I think flip flops with a sun dress looks better than sneakers lol, how strict are they with this?

this thread won’t end well....

However, on embarkation night, pretty much anything goes. All other nights, follow the rules posted on the Carnival website (although ultimately it is up to your ship’s maitre ‘d).

I just read that there are no flip flops or basketball shorts allowed in the MDR. My son only wears basketball shorts and I think flip flops with a sun dress looks better than sneakers lol, how strict are they with this?

Hi

You are allowed to wear sandals. Not the beach flip flops.

As far as your son...what does he wear in other places that he can't wear basketball shorts? He can always eat at the buffets. A lot of people prefer that option because of the format.

have a great cruise

1. It really varies. I’ve seen some people have no problem skirting the dress code. 2. It might be a great time to teach him that sometimes you have to dress differently or step out of your comfort zone for an occasion.

Good luck and happy cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah I'm glad I saw that, otherwise that's probably all my son would have brought. He doesn't like the feel of anything "stiff" or denim-like but we have lots of time to find something before then. I'll get myself a nice pair of sandals for dinner and leave the flip flops in my room. :)

However, on embarkation night, pretty much anything goes. All other nights, follow the rules posted on the Carnival website (although ultimately it is up to your ship’s maitre ‘d).

Lol I hope I don't start an argument on here!

I didn't see it on the site, I actually read it on a Fun Times that someone posted on FB.

Thanks!!

Hi

You are allowed to wear sandals. Not the beach flip flops.

As far as your son...what does he wear in other places that he can't wear basketball shorts? He can always eat at the buffets. A lot of people prefer that option because of the format.

have a great cruise

Other than church, where he wears dress pants, he doesn't really go anywhere else that he can't wear them. It won't be a problem, I just had no idea and would have only packed his basketball shorts if I hadn't read that. I love this board, it's so informational for new cruisers! I'm addicted!

Thank you to all the responders! Great answers!

All women have to do is add some beads to a flip flop and they magically become shoes.

Yeah I'm glad I saw that, otherwise that's probably all my son would have brought. He doesn't like the feel of anything "stiff" or denim-like but we have lots of time to find something before then. I'll get myself a nice pair of sandals for dinner and leave the flip flops in my room. :)

Look into Chinos for him.

Other than church, where he wears dress pants, he doesn't really go anywhere else that he can't wear them. It won't be a problem, I just had no idea and would have only packed his basketball shorts if I hadn't read that. I love this board, it's so informational for new cruisers! I'm addicted!

I totally get it, I am the same way. I had to go on Poshmark and get some khakis for our cruises. I literally have 1 pair of khakis and they stay in the suitcase for cruises. Nowhere else in my normal life do I need them for anything. I don't go to weddings so I have no use for them.

the dress code is clearly on the website.

I'm sure I will check out all the details as it gets closer, our cruise isn't until January so it just never crossed my mind until I saw that.

But I do love their FAQ section!

I bought my son a pair of jeans recently that are Levis Signature or something like that and the style is billed as 'soft like sweatpants', and they really are. Not scratchy or stiff at all.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hi

Funny, I was actually thinking of church when I wrote it. I too totally get it. I was sincere about the buffets. The appeal for young people is that they can grab a quick something and if they don't like it they can take something else, without any fuss.

You didn't mention how old your son was, if he would be off on his own or not. There are the clubs for kids of different ages. I don't know if you were aware.

you are going to have a great cruise

Don’t know if this will help or not, but my 13 year old lives in Nike shorts. But they have to wear khaki shorts and pants for school. So he wears the golf type khaki shorts. They have a lighter almost athletic shorts feel but look like a nice pair of khaki dress shorts. Academy has the BCG brand shirts for under $20. That was our solution and what he’ll wear for our cruise in June.

Don’t know if this will help or not, but my 13 year old lives in Nike shorts. But they have to wear khaki shorts and pants for school. So he wears the golf type khaki shorts. They have a lighter almost athletic shorts feel but look like a nice pair of khaki dress shorts. Academy has the BCG brand shirts for under $20. That was our solution and what he’ll wear for our cruise in June.

Perfect!!! Thank you

Hi

Funny, I was actually thinking of church when I wrote it. I too totally get it. I was sincere about the buffets. The appeal for young people is that they can grab a quick something and if they don't like it they can take something else, without any fuss.

You didn't mention how old your son was, if he would be off on his own or not. There are the clubs for kids of different ages. I don't know if you were aware.

you are going to have a great cruise

He's 14, my kids are 17, 15, 14, 12, 11, and 10, they're so excited. They'll probably hang out together, they're very close, or with kids club. But they'll be eating with us, it's a family vacation so a little bit of Mom will have to be ok lol

Flip flops are plastic things. Thong sandals are totally allowed. No worries.

Basketball shorts and flip flops are fine at breakfast and lunch...not so much for dinner. Wear regular sandals (females) and decent shorts (males).

:')I thought this might be the case too, but it seems respectful so far:eek:

Amanda, you have a great attitude and it's good to research these things now. Hoping you have a great cruise - and I'm sure the kids will survive (and probably enjoy) some "mom" time:D

I have a nephew with sensory issues who would struggle with non-elastic pants, so he would need to stick with lido or get creative with clothes. It sounds like your son will be fine in dress pants/shorts for dinners but would probably change after dinner? If it were my son I'd pack 2 pairs non-athletic shorts and 1 pair pants if he's only wearing for pictures and dinner, then changing back into 'comfy' clothes. Sandals should be fine but not the $1.99 flip-flop/shower shoes. Something with a back that encloses the heel would likely be better for MDR than slides, and there may be excursions or other activities that require a similar "closed" shoe.

Consider this a teachable moment to your son. Life isn't just what happens in casual wear.

Decent khakis or chinos, simple button down shirt, dark shoes or classy (upscale) leather mens sandles.

I'm sure I will check out all the details as it gets closer, our cruise isn't until January so it just never crossed my mind until I saw that.

But I do love their FAQ section!

I love your attitude. Wish we had more of it out here :-)

I just happened to be on the Carnival site for another question so I copied this for you to help:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Evenings / Formal Nights

The length of the cruise determines the number of 'Cruise Elegant' evenings in the Dining Room. The first 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second 'Cruise Elegant' evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting.

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

Just another thought...There is an excursion on the ship called Behind The Fun, that takes you into the bowels of the ship that guests never see. There are a lot of stairs so women can't wear skirts, and all must wear closed toe shoes. It would be ghastly expensive for all of your family to do it, $95pp on Conquest class, but if any are interested be prepared. EM

This is exactly what my 14 year old athlete wears, who hates jeans. School requires shorts and collared shirts, so he wears the polyester/golf/board shorts with a dry wick polo. He also has a pair of khaki and one black Wallyworld chinos and a couple of button down oxford shirts (required at school for away games with school tie), so he wears those, often with a tie by choice, on elegant evening. Between cruising and school, I like the fact that my son has learned to dress for the occasion.